Can I watch DirectTV DVR after cancellation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a DirecTV DVR (R16 model) and am going to be putting the service on hold. The reason for this is it's my mother in-law's and she's going to be in a nursing home for rehab for around 4 months. I've spoken with the options with DirecTV and they say instead of canceling the service I can simply put it on hold for 4 months and then there's no reconnect fees after I reactivate.

The issue is she has tons of recorded programs on the DVR and I'd like to simply unplug it and hook it up in her room where she's staying now and that way she can watch everything that's on the DVR.

My question: When DirectTV service is cancelled or on hold can you still get to the shows that are on the DVR? I assume they aren't deleted but even if not can you still watch them? If it doesn't work in the usual way to watch them is there a backdoor to watch them?

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If you unhook the DirecTV receiver from the coax line before you call in and suspend the service then you will be able to watch the recordings for a short amount of time until the DVR realizes it hasn't been autorized over the Sat signal for a while. Once that happens it will no longer allow you to access anything.

I can't remember how long it takes before this happens, could be a ocuple days, could be a month, but I think that's about as long as it will go.

You may be able to get more accurate info at DBStalk.com if you are still wondering about this.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I disagree with Beerstalker, you can watch previously recorded programs for as long as you like without needing to have it connected to satellite feed (or phone line, etc.) Doesn't need to be authorized. I know this because I've had a D* DVR (HR10-250) that was deactivated, disconnected from satellite and I can still watch stuff on it that was recored over a year ago. YMMV.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 679
as beer said, the trick is to disconnect the dvr while your service is still active ... then hope your menu will come up ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

I disagree with Beerstalker, you can watch previously recorded programs for as long as you like without needing to have it connected to satellite feed (or phone line, etc.) Doesn't need to be authorized. I know this because I've had a D* DVR (HR10-250) that was deactivated, disconnected from satellite and I can still watch stuff on it that was recored over a year ago. YMMV.

I think this is the real key, and not sure how a HR10-250 works compared to the R16, or the HR2x, "but" the HR2x will end up stopping without being reactivated.
Early on, when storms would come through many had problems being able to watch recordings if they had a power glitch.
I remember someone wanting to Demo DirecTV at the mall and had to keep it on a UPS as he'd take it to work from home, because he didn't have a SAT feed at the mall.

There has been a change, so the customer isn't completely hosed, but it may be as short as 72 hours.

A.K.A. VOS
post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Like VOS said, I think you could do this with the old DVRs no problem. However, we both know that the HR2x (and I'm assuming HR34) models will only work for a limited amount of time. I am assuming the R16 works the same as the HR2x models since it is the most recent SD-DVR but I'm not 100% sure. Like I said before, if you want to be 100% sure I suggest heading over to DBSTalk and looking around in the DirecTV SD-DVR forums. I'm sure someone in there can tell you for sure how it will work.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

I don't spend much time in there, and don't know as much about the SD receivers/DVRs because I don't have any, I'm 100% HD.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Liked: 0
Smile Yes, you CAN watch DirecTV DVR content as a stand-alone unit

I know this works for the R15 units, but I don't see what it wouldn't work for others.

(1) Connect DirecTV DVR to your TV.
(2) DVR will automatically go into 'Receiving Satellite Info' mode, with 0% on the meter.
(3) From your DirecTV remote, press EXIT twice and then MENU.
(4) You can then select LIST to view your already recorded content (that wasn't PPV/time sensitive).

I just tried this with R15-300 and R15-500 dual tuner DVRs and was able to pull up recorded TV shows as well as HBO and Showtime movies. I have an HR10-250 and was also able to get into the LIST. I cannot comment on anything newer than that. Sorry.

Also of note. If you're selling or disposing of an old DVR and only want to reformat the drive to remove old content, I was told you would need to press the RESET button and once you get the HELLO and ALMOST THERE screens, then hold the RECORD and DOWN ARROW buttons together for 10 seconds and the drive will format, wiping out all old content.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BuddhaMike; 07-22-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Additional content
Reply HDTV Recorders