8300HD, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Cablevision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem Solved!

If you're trying to avoid changing the Audio Digital Out setting when you go from TV internal speakers to external speakers, read on.

This was driving me crazy. My wife prefers to watch TV without dealing with the Receiver, therefore, internal speakers. I prefer to use the external speakers connected to the Receiver if Dolby Digital is available. Going to the cable box settings menu to switch back and forth is a pain.

Connections were as follows:
8300HD to Panasonic Plasma TV via HDMI
8300HD to Panasonic Receiver via Digital Coax

Connection added to solve problem:
RCA Red/White Audio from 8300HD to TV
Change HDMI setting on TV to take signal from Red/White Audio Cable (Component in my case)

Now, I just leave the cable box Audio setting to Dolby Digital. Prior to the extra connection, the TV would not get sound unless the Audio setting was HDMI. The Receiver would get sound on HDMI, but only 2.0.

Cablevision - Explorer 8300HD- SARA
Western Digital 250 gb (WD2500KS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Have you had any problems since cablevision updated the menu (software) on the box where if you have an HDMI cable connected to it it no longer outputs dolby digital over the digital coax cable? There used to be a setting on the cable box where you could choose if you wanted dolby digital to output over HDMI or digital coax/optical. It seems that that setting is gone and if the HDMI connection is established between the cable box and my TV it just defaults to outputting dolby digital over the HDMI cable. If I simply unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the cable box I get dolby digital out of the digital coax but as soon as I plus it back in it stops. I tried emailing cablevision's customer support but they have no idea what I am talking about.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

A few months ago I upgraded to a receiver which has HDMI passthru, so I no longer have the situation I described in the opening post.

I'm not surprised Cablevision isn't much help for this. When it comes to connection questions, it's hard to find someone who knows what you're talking about.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cablevision - Explorer 8300HD- SARA
Western Digital 250 gb (WD2500KS)
post #4 of 26 Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 AM

I have this same exact problem. Ever since they updated their software my optical audio connection does not work to produce dolby digital sound. If I unplug my hdmi cable dolby digital sound comes through, however I have no picture smile.gif Go figure.

I have no idea what they did within their software to warrant this type of error, but its annoying as I cannot enjoy true dolby digital through my current set up and IM NOT going out and buying a new receiver!
post #5 of 26 Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Liked: 11
Cablevision tech support now admits there is a "known problem" with 8300 explorer boxes using the new menu. They admit that it no longer passes through a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal! It took me a while to realize this, as the "Dolby" audio setting produces a degraded pro logic signal. How can they do this when Vudu is using 1080p and Dolby Digital PLUS (7.1 discrete channels)?

They said "they're working on it." We need other subscribers to complain!!
Metalrob4662 likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Same issue here: eventually got a live person (Paul, very nice guy) on Thanksgiving but he had to bump it up to a tech above him. Answer was to run opitical out of the tv to the receiver. Of course, it did not work. Not when the manual to the 8300 says any HDMI defaults to stereo. It still means, to my understanding, that the HDMI will not pass through 5.1 from the tv because it still is not receiving it. Second suggestion was an HDMI splitter but if the 8300 still detects an HDMI connection, whats the point of splitting a 2.0 signal? I love how the wording in the menu says all outputs will receive 5.1 when set to Digital On- ha! In your dreams. Looking at FIOS now for service.
post #7 of 26 Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM

I had the same issue with the 8300 and returned it to cable and switched to the Samsung box and changed service to DVR PLUS which now makes every box i have a recorder which im guessing is done on cables servers instead of an HD inside the box. DD now works on my receiver through the optical port. I haven't used it enought to compare yet but i believe the HD picture on the 8300 was better then the Samsung.
Has anyone gone this way and compared?
post #8 of 26 Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM

I have an eSata external drive attached to each Explorer box. The DVR plus interface is terrible - as terrible as the new channel guide. Why would I want to switch to a crappy interface, and substantially downgrade the number of recordings I can make?
post #9 of 26 Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM

Hi! since the update we have lost our surround sound capabilities. They claim no one else has this issue but us, but I see here that others are having the same issue. Does anyone know how to fix it?
post #10 of 26 Old 05-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Hi! since the update we have lost our surround sound capabilities. They claim no one else has this issue but us, but I see here that others are having the same issue. Does anyone know how to fix it?
post #11 of 26 Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM

No luck at all, not enough of us are calling to get their attention. No one cares about sound anymore since MP3's!
post #12 of 26 Old 06-29-2013, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same here. Since they upgraded the 8300HD to the new guide interface I am not getting Dolby out on the digital coax line. I noticed on the settings menu there is no longer an option to set the digital audio out. It used to ask HDMI or Digital Out and this is now gone. Does any remember this option on the old menu interface? There is just an option to turn dolby on or off. I played with that, but no change. Before I rip my setup apart, does anyone have Dolby working on the optical out or HDMI since the new interface??? It does NOT work on digital coax for me. I will call and complain - although I hate calling because it is impossible to get anyone that knows anything.

Adrian
post #13 of 26 Old 07-08-2013, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
driving me crazy, too. No surround over coax out anymore
post #14 of 26 Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 AM

This is the first response to my showing them the link to this and another thread:

Dear Optimum Customer,

Thank you for your email, Please let us know how we may assist you as we are unable to open links.

Should you have any further questions or concerns , please reply to this email or use one of the many ways to contact us. We are available 24 hours seven days a week for your convenience.

Thank you for choosing Optimum.

This is a follow up:

Thank you for the email. I understand you are inquiring when the 5.1 Dolby Digital will be resolved. At this time, the issue is on-going. We anticipate a resolution soon. Also, when the firmware upgrade for the HDMI cable capability is ready, we will let our Optimum customers know in advance.

We appreciate your time and patience. If you have any further questions or concerns, reply back to this email. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days per week for your convenience.

Thank you for choosing Optimum,

And so it continues.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM

I am having trouble with my 8300 also since the upgrade to the new menu system, I've been told it's a System Wide Problem, I have my cablebox HDMI going directly to my Samsung TV and the picture is fine and have sound, I also have a Coaxial Cable from the Box to my Denon Receiver ( as I have had for the last 2 yrs) and it would send the 5.1 Signal, but now all I get is 2.0 so I am using DTS Neo and Prologic II so I can have some kind of Surround sound, but I agree it's not us it's them I have been in the A/V business a long time and this is not a Receiver or User mistake, it's Cables fault
post #16 of 26 Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This continues to be a problem. I can't get any resolution from Cablevision and if they plan on fixing this issue. Others please chime in if you are experiencing this issue and want resolution. The only thing I can think of is to get a large list of customers together and file a complaint.

I am open to ideas on how to address this.

p.s. -- OT - years ago I had a problem with the phone find me feature to ring other phones including my cell. I would pick-up the call from my cell and it would drop the call. It was happening randomly for months. several service visits and numerous phone calls, i was finally able to speak to someone in their network operations center that confirmed they knew of the issue and confirmed cablevision was having problems with older network switches that needed to be upgraded and they were working on it. They gave me an estimated date when they would have all equipment upgraded and then called me when it was done to confirm my issues were solved. It was still several months, but at least they finally set my expectations.
Metalrob4662 likes this.

Adrian
post #17 of 26 Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM

I can forward the latest two comments here and see how they respond this time. You can read above what happened recently. Problem is besides this forum, who else is complaining?
post #18 of 26 Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 AM

I received a quick response from Jamal:

Hi,

Thank you for your email. I can understand how this issue can be bothersome. Our engineers are currently working to address this issue system wide. We have not been informed as to an estimated time of completion as of yet. You are welcome to exchange your box for our Samsung box in order to receive the 5.1 while we resolve this issue. If you were to exchange this box, you would loose the recordings saved to it.

We do have our multi room DVR service available if you did decide to exchange the box since our Samsung boxes are not DVR boxes. I would like to thank you for your immense amount of patience and understanding as we work to resolve this for you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please reply to this email or use one of the many ways to contact us. We are available 24 hours per day, seven days per week for your convenience.

Jamal

And there it is.
post #19 of 26 Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 AM

I'm a TV editor for a prominent network here in tri state area. I need to see and hear the products I'm working on in the fashion that they were intended. This issue goes beyond inconvience. We are paying for services which they are not providing to their customers, and worse not admitting to it speaks volumes. I live in NJ area and we recently had the new upgrade which is horrible at best. NY area customers have had this known issue since thier rollout from over a year ago. looking at the posting many of us are aware of this issue. We are not recieving what Cablevision is saying they are providing which is proper 5.1 surround I feel we are entitled to a refund for services not rendered. Hopefully if more people chime in and ask for compensation Cablevision will get this known issue resolved. Why are we paying for services not rendered due to poor system upgrades that dont work. It should be upgrades not take aways!!!
post #20 of 26 Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 AM

I am still having the same problem!1:mad:
post #21 of 26 Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Cablevision said might be fixed in OCTOBER -- we will see?
post #22 of 26 Old 09-30-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washerebefore View Post

Cablevision said might be fixed in OCTOBER -- we will see?

I spoke with them yesterday because of a pixelation problem, and the said they are still working on the Dolby Digital Problem and it's a "System Wide Event"cool.gif
post #23 of 26 Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 PM

Here is the latest!!

Sent: 11/07/2013 05:55 PM
To: Robert Lisanti

Hi Robert,

I understand your concerns this has been an issue for many customers. We will have a new software update that will address this and several other issues by the end of the year. It will again support the HDMI setting as it had before the previous release. I apologize for the response in the previous email. This update is being released slowly across our network. Your area baring any unforeseen issues the release will go through on time.

We appreciate you patience in this matter.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please reply to this email or use one of the many ways to contact us. We are available 24 hours per day, seven days per week for your convenience.

Eliot K.

Sent: 11/07/2013 04:43 PM
To: Optimum Customer Support

D iane,
The 8300 HD Box which is a DVR has the new Menu s ystem and it does not play DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 Just 2.0
so I can only use Dolby Prologic and DTS Neo
as I said this is an ongoing problem for months, we are paying premium prices for services that are not working this is unacceptable.

Thank you,
Ro bert

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 03:48 PM, Optimum Customer Support wrote:

Sent: 11/07/2013 03:48 PM
To: Robert Lisanti Good Afternoon ,

Thank you for
reaching out to us today about the availability of the Dolby Digital output feature. This feature should now be active on your Scientific Atlanta 4250 HD box and also on your 8300 HD box. If this feature becomes available on your Samsung box, we will let you know.

I hope this information is helpful and I have addressed your concern. Please let us know if you need anything further as we are available to you 24 hours a day / 7 days a week via live chat, email, or telephone.

Enjoy your day !

Sincerely,

Diane D
Customer Support From: Robert Lisanti
Sent: 11/07/2013 03:06 PM
To: Optimum Customer Support Was wondering what the latest update is for getting the Dolby Digital Restored on our DVR box? It's been over 2 months now!!!

Optimum, the Optimum family of marks and Optimum logos are registered trademarks of CSC Holdings, LLC. ©2013 CSC Holdings, LLC.
Terms of Service | Copyright Policy | Privacy Policy

Sent: 11/07/2013 03:48 PM
To: Robert Lisanti

Good Afternoon ,

Thank you for reaching out to us today about the availability of the Dolby Digital output feature. This feature should now be active on your Scientific Atlanta 4250 HD box and also on your 8300 HD box. If this feature becomes available on your Samsung box, we will let you know.

I hope this information is helpful and I have addressed your concern. Please let us know if you need anything further as we are available to you 24 hours a day / 7 days a week via live chat, email, or telephone.

Enjoy your day !

Sincerely,

Diane D
Customer Support

Sent: 11/07/2013 03:06 PM
To: Optimum Customer Support

Was wondering what the latest update is for getting the Dolby Digital Restored on our DVR box? It's been over 2 months now!!!
post #24 of 26 Old 11-16-2013, 04:01 AM

So far, so nothing on my DVR. Where in New York is the rollout supposed to start? And I love the wording-being released slowly. Perfect, maybe by 2014.
post #25 of 26 Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell8 View Post

So far, so nothing on my DVR. Where in New York is the rollout supposed to start? And I love the wording-being released slowly. Perfect, maybe by 2014.

Hi Robert,

I understand your concerns this has been an issue for many customers. We will have a new software update that will address this and several other issues by the end of the year. It will again support the HDMI setting as it had before the previous release. I apologize for the response in the previous email. This update is being released slowly across our network. Your area baring any unforeseen issues the release will go through on time.

We appreciate you patience in this matter.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please reply to this email or use one of the many ways to contact us. We are available 24 hours per day, seven days per week for your convenience.

Eliot K.
post #26 of 26 Old 12-28-2013, 04:07 PM

Woohoo! Good news,see below:

Sent: 12/28/2013 12:52 PM
To: powell8@aol.com

Dear Optimum Customer,

Thank you for your response. I apologize for any confusion surrounding what you should or shouldn't do in order to obtain Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio.

Back in October of 2012, we launched our new program guide. With the launch of this new program guide the option to allow Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio was no longer available. We realized that this was a concern to many of our customers. We are happy to announce that with the latest update to our program guide, support will be provided for Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio using HDMI cables connected to HD Scientific Atlanta cable boxes.

When we launch or update a product it is usually released in different areas at different times. Your area, Bayport, NY, is scheduled for the second week in January of 2014. Once the program guide in your area is updated, when you go to the Full Settings Menu (by pressing the "SETTINGS" button on your Cablevision remote twice) and select "Audio" then "Output Type", you will have 3 options available for you to choose from:

1. Dolby Digital On- This will send Dolby Digital audio to the Optical and Coaxial Audio output, and to the HDMI output if connected with an HDMI cable to a Dolby Digital compatible HDTV. If HDTV is not Dolby Digital compatible and is connected with an HDMI cable, then sound may not be heard on the TV.
2. HDMI- This will send Dolby Digital audio to the HDMI, Optical and Coaxial Audio outputs if connected with an HDMI cable to a Dolby Digital compatible HDTV. If HDTV is not Dolby Digital compatible, then Stereo will be sent. Available only on 4250HD and 8300HD Scientific Atlanta cable boxes.
3. Other- This setting will send Stereo quality audio to TV and Home Theater system.

You do not need to swap out your cable box to receive Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio using an HDMI cable. We will take care of everything fro our end. Once the program guide update is released this feature will be available to you.

Thank you, enjoy the rest of your day,
Michelle
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page