xFinity Cisco RNG200n - IR extension - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm with Comcast and have the Cisco RNG200n DVR box.. Unfortunately I have a coffee table inbetween my sofa and the box, and the remote doesn't work without me getting creative. In the RNG200n manual, the IR connector at the back says reserved for future use.

Is there a way to extend the IR receiver in this box? If not officially, then which way un-officially via a 3rd party product? I can't be dealing with the xFinity crappy stretched out XGA 80's like i-Guide AND having to stand up everytime I change the channel.

Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

bump ?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post

Hi,

I'm with Comcast and have the Cisco RNG200n DVR box.. Unfortunately I have a coffee table inbetween my sofa and the box, and the remote doesn't work without me getting creative. In the RNG200n manual, the IR connector at the back says reserved for future use.

Is there a way to extend the IR receiver in this box? If not officially, then which way un-officially via a 3rd party product? I can't be dealing with the xFinity crappy stretched out XGA 80's like i-Guide AND having to stand up everytime I change the channel.

Any advice appreciated.

I'm glad you asked this because I have the same problem, but had not dealt with it. Anyway I got your answer. You need a IR receiver. First I did a forum search and found that the question had been asked before here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1111316. Then I did a search on Comcast and came up with this thread: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...p/743887#M3786. Luckily I had ordered a DTA a few months back and just now checked the box, and there was a IR receiver enclosed. Plugged it in, and even if I point the remote at the ceiling, I can control the cable box easily.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I'm glad you asked this because I have the same problem, but had not dealt with it. Anyway I got your answer. You need a IR receiver. First I did a forum search and found that the question had been asked before here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1111316. Then I did a search on Comcast and came up with this thread: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...p/743887#M3786. Luckily I had ordered a DTA a few months back and just now checked the box, and there was a IR receiver enclosed. Plugged it in, and even if I point the remote at the ceiling, I can control the cable box easily.

Excellent.. I do not have a DTA, but can get one for free.. So I'll give that a try and will report back in a week or two to say how good it works.

Im also noticing that Comcast use the name RNG200n for other devices with includes a Pace box and a Motorola box. Way to go Comcast.

So anyway the box I have is the all black DVR Cisco RNG200n, with the dark matt grey remote. Hopefully that'll help someone out in the future who's searching for the same thing.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have the Cisco RNG200 also. And folks should be aware that the remotes between the Cisco and other dvr they have are not interchangeable although they look alike. The first time I tried DVR I got a box with a loose hdmi connection. I think it was a Scientific Atlantic. Anyway when I exchanged it, they gave me a RNG200. Long story short, after tech support calls trying to get the remote to behave, the tech determined I had a Sci Atl remote. Went back to my local office which was still open for 10 minutes and asked for the correct remote. Initially he thought they were all the same until he tried to control a RNG they had on the wall.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 PM

Hey thedoc46..... I want to know the result! Did you get it working?

I also have a CISCO RNG200N....and am looking for an IR Receiver. Want to know if you got it working!

For anyone else that might know...this is the IR Receiver I am looking at:

[cant post links because Im new- add www dot]
amazon.com/Infrared-Receiver-Extender-Cable-STBs/dp/B002JSDHCY/ref=pd_cp_e_1?tag=5336055023-20

Thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM

I have that Amazon IR extender on my Fios box at home - works just fine.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 PM

I have a Cisco RNG200. It seems like ancient technology but anyway...... I borrowed the IR extender from one of the free DTA boxes that Comcast provided and plugged it into the RNG200. Unfortunately the extender did not work for me. Also the video component (red, blue, green) connections do not send a signal. I may have a bad box.

I plan on exchanging the RNG200 for a RNG200N and hopefully I will have better luck.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 AM

With the RNG200N you cant use the hdmi and component at the same time. frown.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

May aswell reply to my own post.. Like the guy above, i went down to the local comcast shop and got one of their free DTA boxes just for the IR receiver cable, plugged it in the back, routed the wire to that i can see the receiver and that has fixed my problem.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page