AVS Forum banner

Dish "Hopper"

56K views 231 replies 48 participants last post by  Rick_R 
#1 ·
Isn't it funny that Dish has now adoped a rental unit that seemingly records only commercial broadcast off their sky system for replay into a household and promotes it as HD! Of course, I am referring to the Hopper with the Joeys as substations. At least they have better control over the time and tv guide data.

#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally  /t/1400404/dish-hopper/150#post_23499456

we currently have 2 712 hd dual tuner dvrs. this allows us to record 2 shows at once on 2 separate hdtvs. worked well but now we are considering setting up a 3rd hdtv

read about hopper. called dish. they said we could service 3 hdtvs with one hopper and 3 joeys. they said it would cost us $3 a month more than we are now paying. I believe the cost for the hopper/joeys was $24-26 a month. said we could also hook up a 4th non hdtv but only 3 tvs could watch live programming or record simulatneously. if 4 were watching, one could not watch live or record, but they could watch already recorded programming without conflict with the other 3 tvs. can also watch on ipad programming already downloaded to i pad's memory, but can't stream to ipad.

also said need for us to run tests with them from home to be sure this setup is viable for our home.

does all this sound correct to those already using hopper/joeys?

have i misunderstood anything or has dish misinformed me?

would like some re-assurance before I go down this road with dish.

thanks

You would probably need 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys for your needs. That's going to cost you a bit more than you were quoted, monthly as well as up front cost. Don not, I repeat, do not even consider a single Hopper 3 Joey configuration. You already have 4 tuners with your 2-722 setup, you only have 3 tuners with a single Hopper. That said, it would easily be worth it go with the 2 Hopper scenario.

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1400404/dish-hopper/150#post_23500046

it is model 612 or 722 or 722k ?

Must be722 dual tuner had dvr.

Story for wrong model #

the "712" is not exist

#181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928  /t/1400404/dish-hopper/150#post_23499475

You would probably need 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys for your needs. That's going to cost you a bit more than you were quoted, monthly as well as up front cost. Don not, I repeat, do not even consider a single Hopper 3 Joey configuration. You already have 4 tuners with your 2-722 setup, you only have 3 tuners with a single Hopper. That said, it would easily be worth it go with the 2 Hopper scenario.

Thanks.

So how many tuners with 2 hopper configuration?

#182 ·

Each Hopper has 3 satellite tuners.  You can enable Primetime Anytime and record all 4 major locals during primetime using only one tuner so essentially allowing you to record 4 programs at once.  Plus you can add a USB OTA tuner and record another program that way.

So two hoppers is 6 satellite tuners, with the ability to add an OTA tuner to each and enable primetime anytime.

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492  /t/1400404/dish-hopper#post_21827834

Does anyone know when dish on demand will have all of HBO GO content? (Treme is one that I see is missing)

Not sure, but if you have a Roku I prefer HBO Go on it.

Just hooked up some bluetooth headphones finally, will be great for late night tv watching. I currently have an older Hopper and HWS, and really like these DVR's.

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy  /t/1400404/dish-hopper/180#post_23502819

Each Hopper has 3 satellite tuners.  You can enable Primetime Anytime and record all 4 major locals during primetime using only one tuner so essentially allowing you to record 4 programs at once.  Plus you can add a USB OTA tuner and record another program that way.

So two hoppers is 6 satellite tuners, with the ability to add an OTA tuner to each and enable primetime anytime.
I have the 2 hopper system. With prime time anytime and two OTA tuners you can record 11 programs at once. This is handy in my household as my wife records her Cantonese channels and I record my English shows.

Rick R

#185 ·
I have succesfully connected a WD My Book USB 3.0 + USB 2.0 - 2 TB External Hard Drive with it's own power supply to my Hopper. When I go to the External Hard Drive screen and select from the Hopper to External HD, the only program that show up are non-Primetime shows. Is there a way to copy primetime shows or is this a limitation?

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayanam  /t/1400404/dish-hopper/180#post_23957296

I have succesfully connected a WD My Book USB 3.0 + USB 2.0 - 2 TB External Hard Drive with it's own power supply to my Hopper. When I go to the External Hard Drive screen and select from the Hopper to External HD, the only program that show up are non-Primetime shows. Is there a way to copy primetime shows or is this a limitation?

You need to save the PTAT shows that you want to archive to your private space. You do this by highlighting the show you want to keep from the PTAT folder and then 'Save' or Save Series.' Now, it is necessary to wait the 8 days for the PTAT event to time out a disappear from the PTAT folder. You are, then, able to transfer it to the EHD. There are some other ways to do this that involve turning off PTAT but it is easier to wait for the event to time out....

#187 ·
hope this is the right place to ask

im looking for a tablet that will run without restrictions with the sling adapter

tried the nexus 10 and it would only run SD quality

i tried all different options and nothing worked

highest kbps was 1000

ask tech at best buy and said they will all do that for now ?

apple products are not an option

any suggestions or solutions would be great

thanks

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin4u  /t/1400404/dish-hopper/180#post_24000340

hope this is the right place to ask

im looking for a tablet that will run without restrictions with the sling adapter

tried the nexus 10 and it would only run SD quality

i tried all different options and nothing worked

highest kbps was 1000

ask tech at best buy and said they will all do that for now ?

apple products are not an option

any suggestions or solutions would be great

thanks

Is this in your house within the same network as the Hopper? If so the signal stays "in house" and your upload speed should not be an issue.

#195 ·
I live in the Charlottesville, VA market. The Charlottesville Locals are only in SD through Dish. I been using a 722K, 622 and a 922. The 722k and 922 both have the slide in off air modules the that are dual tuner HD for OTA. Is it possible to have two OTA dongles with each Hopper. Are there any other work arounds?

#197 ·
Why doesn't the Hopper allow native passthrough of signal (e.g., if progamming is 720p such as ABC pass 720p) if is 1080i pass that so display device can do conversion to 1080p? Re: HDTV with the Hopper you are forced to choose 720p or 1080i and output everything as that. So if you choose 1080i then watch ABC you get a conversion from 720p --> 1080i then display device 1080i --> 1080p. Isn't a better plan to have the Hopper output 720p for 720 programming then let display device convert 720p --> 1080p? I have an Epson 6010 front projector which shows all of the flaws from compression in Dish signals so trying to make the best of it but don't understand why Hopper doesn't provide a "native passthrough" option.

#200 ·
Yea only one OTA tuner per Hopper. But keep in mind the unit has several USB ports. Maybe in a couple years they will be cool enough to add the option for a 2nd OTA tuner. Matter fact, they wouldn't have to have it on a 2nd USB port. There are already dual tuner USB OTA tuners on the market. All they'd have to do is release a dual tuner on single USB device. You can add multiple hard drives from what I can tell, so why not a 2nd tuner. Unless they didn't put enough processing power into the unit to handle another incoming data stream.

Personally, I was actually disappointed that they didn't add a 4th tuner Satellite tuner. I actually record 6 late night shows each night, then set them to only store 5 as the limit. Then I go thru the info on them to see if there are guests I want to watch or not.

I also hope they upgrade to 4TB drives. Since the reserve too much for Primetime anytime and PPV content I think it would be nice to have the extra. I have an external drive attached to mine, but I still don't like their interface of having to go to the separate menu, and when you finish a show, it doesn't return to the external device DVR list.

A few other things:

I'm still disappointed that they didn't put enough processing power in the unit. It still often has slow response times. And they should load it up with a bunch more memory so it could pre-cache the next 5+ minutes of content. Both reducing HD access and allowing forward skip to be instant and not have the audio play delay. We should be able to press the forward skip button 6 times in a second and have it go 3 minutes ahead without any wait time.

Would be cool if they allowed for 4-way picture in picture. You can tune 3+ sat channels, 1 OTA channal, and play a recorded event. Why not allow 4-way PiP?

Hope they are planning on an upgraded unit that supports 4k up-scaling. Even today showing 2 1080i shows in PiP mode today would benefit from this. Since it will be many many years until there are native 4k broadcasts (like just a channel or 2, or downloaded PPV) the unit should up scale and be ready. This would also apply if they adopted 4-way PiP system. 4k would display each 1080p image natively.

Maybe some of this will Hopper Version 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.