VZ FIOS Motorola 7232 digital audio output doesn't work. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently git VZ Fios with Mototola 7232 hd dvr. I have a hdmi connection going from the DVR to the tv, which works fine. But I tried connecting the DVR to the audio system using the optical, coaxial and the USB ports, but none of them produce any sound. I am sure it's not my connection because other devices with the same cable on the same ports work just fine. If anybody has encountered this problem please help. I have spent over 5 hours with Verizon tech and they have been of absolutely no help! Or if you have the same box and those pets do work, I would love to know that as well! Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Liked: 32
Are you only connecting one cable at a time to your AVRS, when testing?
post #3 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Tried both, independently and simultaneously. But neither worked!
post #4 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Liked: 32
Here is the book for the QIP-7232-P2 http://www22.verizon.com/cs/groups/p...2_use_c774.pdf
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I did take a look at that manual, there was nothing in there. I was hoping there were other FIOS users who have the same motorola DVR and see if it works for them.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 07:23 PM

I am dealing with the same problem, have been for several months. I finally got a hold of someone who was honest with me at Verizon. He states that it is not possible to enable the digital audio out on the 7232.

Not the answer I wanted but an answer. I like Fios but I'm heading to ATT.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
  1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by akvz View Post

I recently git VZ Fios with Mototola 7232 hd dvr. I have a hdmi connection going from the DVR to the tv, which works fine. But I tried connecting the DVR to the audio system using the optical, coaxial and the USB ports, but none of them produce any sound...

2. Quote:
    Originally Posted by rick.halvorson View Post

I am dealing with the same problem, have been for several months. I finally got a hold of someone who was honest with me at Verizon. He states that it is not possible to enable the digital audio out on the 7232...

I also had the same problem as the 2 folks above. And I GOOGLE'd and GOOGLE'd, finding all sorts of "Try This / Try That" suggestions but...

I'm an "Old Fart" and I'm used to ANALOG signals. So, when I bought a few "TOSLink / Coaxial" Combo Cables from a RadioShack Clearance Sale *YEARS* ago, I just stored them, in anticipation of future need, in my 'Inventory'. When I needed a TOSLink Cable a few days ago, it didn't work - I blamed the Motorola 7232 - I WAS WRONG!!!

AFAICT, the *MAJORITY* of the replies to this problem follow the "Try This / Try That" route, but only a few (one that I've found thus far) mention:

REMOVING THE PLASTIC CAPS FROM THE ENDS OF THE CABLE!!!

Yeah, I *KNOW* that this is OBVIOUS to some, but, let's face it - *MANY* others don't realize that the 'Nice, Round, Flexible' Protector at the end of the TOSLink Cable *HAS* to be removed for the cable to work.

To continue my embarrassment, I had just about given up on retrieving 5.1 from my 7232 and was pulling the TOSLink Cable out when the end plugged into my new Hauppauge 1212 PVR left a plastic cap inside. $H!T - now I have to find my tiny needle-nose pliers and pull it out - what kind of CRAPPY cables does RadioShack make that the 'end' falls off , unless...

So, after dumping several HD movies from my 7232 onto my 1212 via RCA ANALOG / AC3-2CH, on a whim, I pulled the 'Nice, Round, Flexible' Protector off the 7232 end and tried S/PDIF again - IT WORKED!!!

No changes on the 7232 - no changes on the 1212 - REMOVE THE PLASTIC CAPS and it works!

My entire reason for this post is to attempt to help other 'Clueless' folks like myself realize that the 'Plastic Covering' that other posts are referring to is NOT the THIN film of plastic over the 'Nice, Round, Flexible' End like you find over the (LCD) Displays of new electronic gadgets (i.e. DVD / Blu-Ray Players, DVMs, etc...), but, it's the End itself! I added a useful title in case GOOGLE might be able to pick it up.

I'd appreciate any feedback from other (previously) 'Clueless" TOSLink folks.

HTH

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yes, as a former Programmer / Analyst FORCED to retire too early due to the progress of High-Speed Internet and the ability of Chinese and Indian programmers to work on United States projects from the comfort of their homeland (@~25% of US salary!!!), I *DO* over-format my posts. It gives me a little pleasure...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page