Directv Whole House Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just heard NFL Sunday Ticket will be free starting April 19th for new customers. Thinking about switching from Dish to get Sunday Ticket.

Currently have the Dish VIP 722 box. Like it since we can record and watch programs throughout the house (HD at main, SD rest of house). We would like to be able to watch and control recorded content and live tv throughout the house like we do now. Appears I have two options to choose from.

Option 1: Home Media Center HD DVR (record 5 programs at once) at main TV and HD receivers at each additional TV. Whole House option. Cost: $99

Option 2: HD DVR Receiver at all TVs. Whole House option. Cost: First box free, $99 each additional.

Currently I have two coax connecting to my 722 from the dish, then one coax going out of the 722 to our cable to distribute to the rest of the house. How is the Directv connections gonna differ? I don't have ethernet in any of our rooms other than the main room.

Will we be able to control, schedule, record at the additional TVs with either of our options? From what I understand, we would only be able to watch recorded shows with option 1 and not record, pause, etc live programs. We want full control at each tv.

When I schedule the install, anything special I should request?

I was looking at using a local Directv dealer, is that ok? Or should I call Directv directly?

Thanks
Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
DVRs can only record programs on the one you are using. Non DVRs can record programs on any DVR in the house. DVRs can FF, etc. Non DVRs can not unless they are watching a recording from any of your DVRs. If you want to be able to control live TV on a non DVR you need to start watching, hit record, stop the program and go to list and select it to play. I have no experience with the HMC but it seems like it would be a good option for you.

You only need ethernet for one connection to your router. From any DVR or HMC.

If this sounds confusing, sorry. Maybe someone else can explain it all better.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page