Copy protected all of a sudden - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have xbox 360s connected to all my TVs, the HTPC is an Asus gaming laptop running Windows 7. Tuners are networked SiliconDust HDHR Prime, 3 HD tuners. I have a cable card from my cable provider.

The system had been working fine, recording of HBO & Showtime and all non preimum channels as desired. This week after recording 2 Showtime shows for later viewing I got this message when trying to view the recordings:

"The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded.

I tried viewing from every one of the 3 xbox extenders; same message. In the past I had no issues recording shows off of these channels. The recordings are all on the Asus PC as the Xboxes I have are barebones with no HD capacity. My understanding is every extender logs into the serving PC, in this case the Asus PC.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Your cable provider enabled for those channels the Copy Control Information flag "Copy Never".
You only have 90 minutes to view the content.
http://dvr.about.com/od/dvrbasics/a/...Protection.htm
post #3 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

the week before I recorded the same shows and I still have them, and they still reply. So I do not think the 90 minute thing is the issue.

The issue is why all of a sudden are these program copy protected whereas a week before they were not? I think there is a WMC or SiliconDust problem.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I think it might be relevant who your provider is. I see no reason to think it's a problem on your end.

And it sounds more like "Copy Once" than "Copy Never". (Recording it to the computer's hard drive is that one copy.)

57 channels and nothing on
post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm not 100% sure this has much to do with your issue, but it might.

I know on DirecTV that they have started to set the Copy Once flag for all HBO and Cinemax programming, and they are supposedly going to set it on the other premium movie channels soon (Showtime, Starz, possibly Encore and The Movie Channel). DirecTV has done this per the Channel's wishes.

However, Copy Once should allow you to save the program on your DVR and stream it to other compatible receivers in your home as far as I know. It's just not supposed to allow you to copy it to another computer or burn that program to a DVD/Blu-Ray to save. I'm not sure why you can't stream it to your other devices. Maybe your cable provider has something set up incorrectly? Maybe your xBoxes are trying to copy instead of stream? Are you trying to transcode the program in order to stream it? Transcoding might seem like copying to the PC so it might be disabled by Copy Once?

Like I said I'm not 100% sure. It might be a good idea to ask this in the HTPC area though if you haven't as I think you might have more luck in there.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I recorded 141 minutes of hockey from NBC Sports channel last night and got the same copy protected message when I tried to replay the recroding less than an hour later.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 370
As was noted, it sounds like your provider has decided to flip on the copy-once switch. They can do that for all except the local OTA channels. You might want to call them and question what has happened.

There is another AVS user, "Dartman" who uses a HD Homerun Prime and Windows Media Center as his DVR. He runs into copy-once DRM all the time. You might want to PM him.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxBob View Post

the week before I recorded the same shows and I still have them, and they still reply. So I do not think the 90 minute thing is the issue.

You don't get it. The OLDER shows did not have that flag activated (it's inside the file) so they are free to view. The ones recorded AFTER the flag was put in place have that embedded in the stream and are treated as such.
As for the 90 minutes "grace period", you might have 30 or even none if the provider programs that. I think 90 minutes is just a default time.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

You don't get it. The OLDER shows did not have that flag activated (it's inside the file) so they are free to view. The ones recorded AFTER the flag was put in place have that embedded in the stream and are treated as such.
As for the 90 minutes "grace period", you might have 30 or even none if the provider programs that. I think 90 minutes is just a default time.

That timed expiration is only for the copy-never flag. That is rare and only usually found on PPV or premium channels. I think he is dealing with copy-once flag. Copy-once DRM allows for streaming the programs from the recording PC -- that doesn't mean WMC will cooperate and send it to the X-Box clients. I know Dartman uses Video ReDo to convert the WMC files into something his media streamers will play. I'll PM Dartman and ask him what he does with copy-once flagged programs.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have now two shows I ran into that are copy once. They both are from movie channels and so far as I can tell they only will play on the machine they were recorded to. I can't use anything to edit them at all, not even the full bore version of video redo that natively supports WTV format. VLC player will not play them either, everything else I have captured will play and edit fine and I can send it to my media players with no issues and share over my network to them and all that kind of thing.
Pretty sure you'll need a extender like a 360 to play them elsewhere but I don't have one to see if it all works and I won't keep the infested videos as I can get them later on BluRay or watch them on on demand when they get to free status.
I have the same prime you do but I only get two movie channels so far that the flag are set on so I can't tell you how to get around it as I haven't bothered to see if there are any backdoor ways to disable it though I'm sure some smart hacker may have figured it out. The DRM in media center is pretty rock solid and a pain, that's for sure but luckily for most of the shows I like it's not applied though like said they can turn it on any time they feel like it on most any pay channel.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

I recall that the day I copied the two shows (HBO & Showtime) that replayed flawlessly was Easter Sunday. I restored Windows 7 to April 7 system restore point and everything records just fine now. I replayed a HDnet concert and 2 showtime shows after recording them all yesterday.

As I suspected, a Win 7 issue.

I guess I will not be installing any Windows upgrades from here on out.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page