How to record and watch OTA and OTA DVR's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for recommendation on what items to buy tocut the cord with Dishnetwork work. I Currently have a PS3 with a Computer dedicated as media server. What I want to do is fire DishNetwork and be able to record and watch OTA channels. I considered the Tivo but is very expensive with monthly cost.
I was considering the following:
1) A OTA DVR such as Channel Master but this item is $399.99 not sure it's worth it.

2) Buying a Hauppauge Video Card for the Media Server record the shows and hoping I can stream them to PS3 using media server software. My concern with this how can I watch live TV since the Computer is in different room?
Any recommendation on what I am trying to achieve?

I figured with Netflix, Hulu and OTA should have almost everything covered
Just wished we had better solution for ESPN and HGTV for the wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you looked at using Windows media center and Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun Dual? I have a HDHomeRun Dual in the mail and was going to try it out.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

So this box essentially sounds like a OTA HDTV Tuner with built in Media server using DLNA as the feed.
Looks like a great device to get OTA feed to my computer but how do I get it back to my TV that is in a diffrent room ?
post #4 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessroute View Post

Just wished we had better solution for ESPN and HGTV for the wife.

PlayOn?
post #5 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Another option is some of the FTA boxes, I use those to record and play HD OTA. They record to an external USB hard drive.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

How good are the FTA boxes compared to sat Tivo or Channel Master 7400 ?

I have playon, the HGTV selection is limited.
Also ESPN looking for live college basketball games next season.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

also espn looking for live college basketball games next season.

espn3?
post #8 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 AM

Simple.tv is a OTA Dvr that won best of show at CES. I do not have one but looks like it would work.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

How good are the FTA boxes compared to sat Tivo or Channel Master 7400 ?

I have playon, the HGTV selection is limited.
Also ESPN looking for live college basketball games next season.

I have the Sonicview HD 8000 and an ebox HD. They both are similar though I prefer the sonicview, I haven't done too much with the ebox..
It actually works more like a VCR, can record via a time setting, using the psip guide, a block of time, or same time each day/week (I've not done this part).

The recordings look identical to the live picture. You record to an external (external powered) usb drive so space is unlimited.

Tivo is a full on DVR and those who have them like them alot. I've never used tivo or CM7400.
post #10 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:

So this box essentially sounds like a OTA HDTV Tuner with built in Media server using DLNA as the feed.
Looks like a great device to get OTA feed to my computer but how do I get it back to my TV that is in a diffrent room ?

I have the impression the PS3 can stream from Windows Media Center.
post #11 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver16 View Post

Simple.tv is a OTA Dvr that won best of show at CES. I do not have one but looks like it would work.

It looks to me that it is similar to the HDHomeRun except that it will record. You would need a streamer such as the Roku (Simple TV says they have a Roku app) attached to your TV. It looks like a nice unit. Hopefully they can get it to market.
post #12 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

I have the impression the PS3 can stream from Windows Media Center.

I think so also. What I am confused about is if I can watch live tv that is streamed from my pc via dlna(Media Server)LIVE!

The simpletv would be useless in my case no?
If I record shows can't I just save them to a folder and have a media server present them to PS3 to watch at will? This simple tv looks like it just offers a way for the tv to present to the tv which the ps3 already does with DLNA
post #13 of 30 Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

After researching different HD OTA Dvr's to connect to my TV such as $400 channel master and Magnavox HDD DVD record that only records SD from OTA broadcast. I decided to get a PC tuner card at less then 3rd of the price. Went with Hauppaugge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit and Leaf antenna. Now just need to figure out how to get the video to my PS3. I see that Xbox 360 is a media center extender and my consider purchasing one so I can watch pause record live TV on my 50" TV. Xbox may be my solution
post #14 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Compare the power consumption of a PC to a DVR. Probably three times the amount.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #15 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

My media center computer is always on so not really concerned about power.
post #16 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM

I'm currently using Snapstreams Beyond TV4 software with an ATI All in Wonder HDTV tuner card along with the ATI remote control. The output from the pc is HDMI directly to a 60" Sony TV. Using analog audio from the PC but I could also use optical if I hooked it up. The pc doesn't stay on all the time either. System BIOS is used to start it and scheduled tasks is used to shut it down after recordings are made. Snapstream also provides a program guide (at no charge) for use in setting up recordings. You can also remotely setup recordings and convert recorded programs into compatible mobile file formats automatically.
http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/

The PC connected to the 60" also comes in handy for other things as well....Skype is one example.
post #17 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

I have the beyond tv software and sagetv software. Havent used either yet
The biggest challenge has been getting the video from PC in the office to the TV in the living room.(Live TV that is)
post #18 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:

I have the beyond tv software and sagetv software. Havent used either yet
The biggest challenge has been getting the video from PC in the office to the TV in the living room.(Live TV that is)

Beyond TV will do Live TV and allow you to pause it. What's the distance from the office to the tv (assuming it's in the same building)?
post #19 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

I'm currently using Snapstreams Beyond TV4 software with an ATI All in Wonder HDTV tuner card along with the ATI remote control. The output from the pc is HDMI directly to a 60" Sony TV. Using analog audio from the PC but I could also use optical if I hooked it up . . . . Snapstream also provides a program guide (at no charge) for use in setting up recordings. You can also remotely setup recordings and convert recorded programs into compatible mobile file formats automatically.

This is interesting and it sounds like you are pleased with it. I'm currently using NextPVR with a Silicon Dust HD Homerun, recording OTA. NextPVR (open source) with a Schedules Direct guide ($25/yr) was great to get started with and wet my feet. But now I'm ready for something more and I don't mind paying for good software. Beyond TV is listed as a compatible DVR app for the HD Homerun. I can download the trial and explore the feature set. Have you found feature set to be rich and reliable? Is the software well supported?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

Beyond TV will do Live TV and allow you to pause it. What's the distance from the office to the tv (assuming it's in the same building)?

Yes same building and luckily same floor. The Office is right next to the living room. Probably about 35-40 feet so I can run a cable along base board. I already have 2 Cat 6 cables running to the room at 50 foot so I know its not further than that. I was thinking I could possible run a long HDMI cable but then how do I control everything from the living room. I don't want to access the PC by walking to the office to switch a channel on the TV.
post #21 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was thinking I could possible run a long HDMI cable but then how do I control everything from the living room. I don't want to access the PC by walking to the office to switch a channel on the TV.

Rf remotes and/or transceivers.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #22 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Ok Lets say I run a HDMI cable to the TV and the PC is running BeyondTV. The PC is just idle not running any programs. Without getting up and walking to the office, how do I get the PC to change inputs from the monitor in the office to HDMI, load this beyond tv software all from a RF remote ? Is there a remote out there you recommend ?
post #23 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

My media center computer is always on so not really concerned about power.

Not being very green doing that. 100 watts plus 24/7.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #24 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok Lets say I run a HDMI cable to the TV and the PC is running BeyondTV. The PC is just idle not running any programs. Without getting up and walking to the office, how do I get the PC to change inputs from the monitor in the office to HDMI, load this beyond tv software all from a RF remote ? Is there a remote out there you recommend ?

The remote controls the video card/DVR software which needs to be running on the PC all the time if you want to do scheduled recordings and DVR playback. Per your first post, I was under the impression that you were using a dedicated media PC for this task that was just located in an inconvenient spot. I get the impression now that this is a multi-purpose office computer and sometime media-PC. You won't get the convenience and user experience you are looking for with that kind of arrangement. You might want to seriously reconsider going with a DVR. It may have a significant upfront cost, but if you are cutting your satellite service and going OTA, it will pay for itself in saved monthly Dish bills in less than a year.

- kelson h

post #25 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

This is interesting and it sounds like you are pleased with it. I'm currently using NextPVR with a Silicon Dust HD Homerun, recording OTA. NextPVR (open source) with a Schedules Direct guide ($25/yr) was great to get started with and wet my feet. But now I'm ready for something more and I don't mind paying for good software. Beyond TV is listed as a compatible DVR app for the HD Homerun. I can download the trial and explore the feature set. Have you found feature set to be rich and reliable? Is the software well supported?

I love using it but I don't really use everything it can do. I tend to record 1st run network shows and archive them to 2Tb hard drives. I also have a folder for various Youtube videos that I download and watch via BeyondTV (mp4's). The software works well and I've had no issues with it.

Also I use it to play HD videos I create with my camera as well.
post #26 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Not being very green doing that. 100 watts plus 24/7.

In my area, the power company has PUC sanction to raise their rates to compensate if people start to use less power. Something about assuring sufficient revenue to maintain infrastructure.

So I leave my media-PC and NAS units on 24x7, the TiVo is always running and my wife has candle-lights in the windows. If I'm going to get charged either way, I'm going to use it.

- kelson h

post #27 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Currently I have two "scheme"s setup in the display driver. One is called local monitor and the other is HDTV display. When I use it on the HDTV I select the scheme and walk into the living room. The local computer monitor goes dark. When I'm done with the TV I switch the scheme back to the PC monitor. A USB extension in the living room has a camera on it (for Skype) and the RF sensor for the ATI hand held remote. I do plan on adding a wireless UBS keyboard and mouse. This ATI remote works well with the Beyond TV software but isn't real great for the rest of the PC.

Getting up is something I need to do. If I could find a way to get the remote to switch the display schemes (haven't really looked into it yet) it may be possible to press a button and make it happen.
post #28 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just installed the 2250 Hauppauge Card and Leaf Antenna
I've gotta say that I am impressed with WMC. Nice interface and really easy to use and picked up 40 channels. I started Beyond TV up and hated the look. I think I might spring for the Xbox and see how that turns out. I was able to record some shows and play them back on my PS3 without any issues and looked great. Now if the Xbox can be the Media Extender and allow me to watch live TV I may be ready to give DISH the boot

Any other media software recommend besides beyondTV ? I know sage is gone now. Can Hauppauge WinTV that came with the tuner card do anymore then WMC ? How about any tools to scrub commercials out files does that exist ?
post #29 of 30 Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Some PVR software supports third-party plugins for automatic commercial skipping/removal, because the developers don't want to risk getting in trouble by implementing such a feature officially. Such plugins aren't perfect, though, and they may accidentally remove segments of genuine programming, because commercial detection isn't always accurate.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post

Have you looked at using Windows Media Center and Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun Dual? I have a HDHomeRun Dual in the mail and was going to try it out.

The HDHomeRun tuners with Windows 7 Media Center are a fantastic combination. Entirely FREE to use, good tuner/signal performance, and rock-solid stable for months at a time or more.

Quote:

It does not use DLNA but rather just sends the TV signal transport streams (MPEG video) to whichever computer(s) on your network want them. You could have two or more of the HDHomeRun boxes and several computers on your network and they will all share the tuners as needed.

If you have a wired home network (or maybe even wireless), you could use Xbox 360s as "Media Center extenders". They become slave control/display devices that get their shows, music, or whatever from the Media Center computer/HDHomeRun combination. That should include full live-TV DVR control at the Xbox location, too.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page