Slow D* HR22. Solve speed problem with a large esata drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am experiencing the sluggish performance from my HR22 as are so many others. Navigating the guide, changing channels, accessing menus etc. It seems like it functions better when the playlist is shorter with less recorded material and more available space. Has anyone had the experience of adding an external high-capacity SATA drive (ie. 750gb to 1T) and finding that this improves speed?

If yes, what drive did you use? Size? Happy with it?

If you added a large drive but saw no speed improvement please tell me that as well.

Thanks!

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Why/how would a change in the HDD affect receiver operation?
Might be best to ask that in the PC forum.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have no clue why there would be a relationship. I know the DTV tech asked me about my free disk space but had to admit he was just spitballing. Do these disks defrag themselves?

It's annoying to sit and watch a 20-second channel change.

Gary
post #4 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Best to ask that in the dedicated thread for that DVR.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There have been a few people who claim that having a DVR with the hard drive nearly full (85%+) will slow it down a bit. I've never noticed it myself. Assuming it is true then adding more hard drive space should make it easier to keep away from being full.

I personally am more of the opinion that it is the guide data that is slowing things down. So having a bigger hard drive means you have the same if not more recorded material with guide data that the DVR needs to keep track of. The more guide data, the slower the DVR.

That said, I think there is a new firmware update rolling out now that is suppsoed to help with the speed quite a bit. I have been too busy at work to read about it much yet, but I suggest you check out DBSTalk.com. It's AVSForum's sister site that covers pretty much anything you want to know about satellite TV.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

the guide data that is slowing things down. So having a bigger hard drive means you have the same if not more recorded material with guide data

When you say "guide data" are you referring to upcoming program guide data, or data from the already recorded programs?

post #7 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

When you say "guide data" are you referring to upcoming program guide data, or data from the already recorded programs?

The general thinking with this is:
Guide data comes in,
Next is sorting through the series links and recordings present, along with the history of the last four weeks.
Then new recordings are scheduled.

"In theory" the more SLs & recordings, the more CPU power is used to sort through this.

I've never had: a 20-second channel change.

A.K.A. VOS
post #8 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #9 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Now why/how could anyone ever forget that simple, never confusing procedure?
Should of been in the user menu where it belongs. It's not some complete 'wipe everything' command.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes, like VOS said the guide data I am talking about is all the data the DVRs have about the shows. This includes all the data for the shows coming on in the next two weeks. All of the shows you have recorded on your DVR currently, all the shows you have recorded and deleted in the last 30 days, and I believe some guide data on the VOD programming available to you if your box is hooked up to the internet.

Your DVR is constantly going over all that guide data searching for upcoming shows it is supposed to record and comparing it to shows you have already recorded and deleted within the last 30 days (it won't record the same episode of a show twice within 30 days even with repeats turned on).

The bigger the hard drive you have in the DVR the more shows/movies you can record. The more you record the more guide data the DVR has to sift through.

As far as speeding it up it seems like you hadn't heard about clearing the NVRAM like ncted posted. While not in DirecTVs manuals it is pretty well known in the forums and you should have been able to find that info here and on DBSTalk pretty easily.

But since you hadn't here are a couple more tricks you might want to try if you haven't.

In your guide options turn scrolling effects off. This tends to speed up the guide and DVR playlist.

In your HDTV settings turn native off and deselect all resolutions except 720p or 1080i (depending on what kind of TV you have). This will usually speed up channel changes a decent amount, but you may notice a slight degredation in picture quality on some channels if you TV has a better upscaler than the DVR.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't have this recorder or service, my questions and interest were just to get a handle on this specific problem.

Do you or anyone know where on the HDD is all this 'data' stored? Is it in one reserved location?

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page