I'm looking for a HD Recorder that makes 'permanent' archived recordings.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
but I'm not interested in subscription based recorders or recorders that make temporary recordings on a none archiving HDD as Tivo, DirecTivo, Direct TV DVR, Comcast DVR, etc.

I'm looking for a stand-alone recorder that can record from component video outputs, in the AVCHD format or another format to a hard drive, that's highly compatible with most Blu-ray Players and Smart TVs.

I've only found some from AVER Media that are meant for video game HD recording.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
By "stand-alone" do you mean no PC either? If you are looking for the equivalent of a DVD recorder that does HD/5.1 to BD (i.e. a BD recorder), you are out of luck -- in the US anyhow. If you want to archive HD/5.1 you will need to involve a PC.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you want to archive HD/5.1 you will need to involve a PC.

I know he doesn't want TiVo but some Netgear ReadyNAS models will automatically archive TiVo's recordings (as long as they aren't protected) with playback on any TiVo. Also, TiVo files can easily be played via various streaming devices.

http://www.readynas.com/?p=4324
post #4 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I know he doesn't want TiVo but some Netgear ReadyNAS models will automatically archive TiVo's recordings (as long as they aren't protected) with playback on any TiVo. Also, TiVo files can easily be played via various streaming devices.

http://www.readynas.com/?p=4324

Since I use a TiVo and am always transferring files from it, I would love to have one of those ReadyNAS units that is TiVo ready -- but they are just too expensive. I have TiVo desktop running on my media-PC and I have it set up to auto-transfer any episodes of the series I want to collect -- it starts the transfer as soon as the episode has completed recording without any intervention on my part. I figure that is close enough to a ReadyNAS for me.

Media streamers will not directly play .tivo files. .tivo files have an encrypted wrapper that needs to be stripped away. Video ReDo will handle .tivo files and I use it to edit out commercials and save the edit as an .m2ts file on my NAS unit. Then I can use my WD Live players to stream it.

This is certainly a solution for the OP if he can get past his objection to TiVo and the $600 it costs for a non-subscription unit. Still requires a PC though.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 215
Quote:

Since I use a TiVo and am always transferring files from it, I would love to have one of those ReadyNAS units that is TiVo ready -- but they are just too expensive.

They start at $130 for 2 bays and $280 for 4 bays... the new v2 models (current promotion).

Quote:

Media streamers will not directly play .tivo files. .tivo files have an encrypted wrapper that needs to be stripped away.

I use kmttg (via OS X) and it only take a few minutes without a quality hit. Hence I call it easy.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

By "stand-alone" do you mean no PC either? If you are looking for the equivalent of a DVD recorder that does HD/5.1 to BD (i.e. a BD recorder), you are out of luck -- in the US anyhow. If you want to archive HD/5.1 you will need to involve a PC.

Thanks but even recording to a HDD with compatible HD formats that can be stored on any HDD for permanent archiving is fine. Actually that's what I like best since Blu-ray recorders are expensive and blank discs are super expensive.

The Avermedia recorders look really good but I've read of some reliability troubles with these.

I'll likely stick to my DVD Recorders. HD would be great but I'd like to record in 16:9 format but my HD cable box will only put out 4:3 letterboxed (none anamorphic) video output in 480i resolution which offers terrible resolution when zoomed in to display a full widescreen picture. For that reason, I have forced the cable box output to pan and scan 4:3 just to keep resolution looking good and not like a VHS tape. With a 16:9 HD source output through the component outputs, I can retain the widescreen format with good or even the best resolution.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

They start at $130 for 2 bays and $280 for 4 bays... the new v2 models (current promotion).

That is substantially less than I remember last time I checked -- it's been a while. I'll have to give them a second look when the price of HDD's comes down a bit more.

Quote:
I use kmttg (via OS X) and it only take a few minutes without a quality hit. Hence I call it easy.

Absolutely. I use kmttg also for 1-off transfers. You can tell it to quickly strip off the .tivo wrapper and just leave the .mpg file after it does the transfer. That .mpg file can be played by just about anything. I usually don't bother with stripping off the .tivo wrapper since Video ReDo will do that automatically when I edit out commercials.

- kelson h

post #8 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

Thanks but even recording to a HDD with compatible HD formats that can be stored on any HDD for permanent archiving is fine. Actually that's what I like best since Blu-ray recorders are expensive and blank discs are super expensive.

The Avermedia recorders look really good but I've read of some reliability troubles with these.

From the brief exchange between Charles R. and myself you should see that TiVo is a ready option for this. That's what a lot of us do. Of course, it only works for non-copy protected source. I know nothing about Avermedia recorders.

Quote:
I'll likely stick to my DVD Recorders. HD would be great but I'd like to record in 16:9 format but my HD cable box will only put out 4:3 letterboxed (none anamorphic) video output in 480i resolution which offers terrible resolution when zoomed in to display a full widescreen picture.

Go visit the DVD Recorder Forum. There is an active discussion thread on video converters (HDMI-->component; component-->S-Video) to address exactly this problem. No matter what you do, the PQ will always look worse than recording in HD and the better your display, the worse the SD will look.

Recording HD/5.1 is simply not "cheap".

- kelson h

post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Do a search for the Hauppauge HDPVR. It has component inputs and records to .TS files using H.264. You can specify to make the recordings compatable with a 360,PS3, or just AVCHD.

However since it uses the "analog loophole"/component of course there is an analog to digital conversion that takes place. The quality hit isn't too bad and you can adjust the bitrate, takes up a ton less space than MPEG2... it retains DD5.1 in AC3 format as well. The recordings I make are 100% compatible with my LED Samsung Smart TV. I plug in my external hard drive and it plays them without fuss, about as close to original quality as you can get, pumping out 5.1 as well.

I have one and while the software is a little bit buggy/twitchy once you get it set up and working it's pretty reliable. The newer drivers/versions are much improved over the first versions which were pretty much beta.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

but I'm not interested in subscription based recorders or recorders that make temporary recordings on a none archiving HDD as Tivo, DirecTivo, Direct TV DVR, Comcast DVR, etc.

I'm looking for a stand-alone recorder that can record from component video outputs, in the AVCHD format or another format to a hard drive, that's highly compatible with most Blu-ray Players and Smart TVs.

I've only found some from AVER Media that are meant for video game HD recording.

Thanks

You will need something like this.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, you have really some great info that I'll be looking into. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had some major things come up in my life and quite honestly, forgot about this thread.

However, thanks a lot, as I really appreciate all the time you guys put into your response. It has really helped.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page