I'm looking for a HD Recorder that makes 'permanent' archived recordings.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
OldSchoolMETAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago area/Indiana
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
but I'm not interested in subscription based recorders or recorders that make temporary recordings on a none archiving HDD as Tivo, DirecTivo, Direct TV DVR, Comcast DVR, etc.

I'm looking for a stand-alone recorder that can record from component video outputs, in the AVCHD format or another format to a hard drive, that's highly compatible with most Blu-ray Players and Smart TVs.

I've only found some from AVER Media that are meant for video game HD recording.

Thanks
OldSchoolMETAL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
By "stand-alone" do you mean no PC either? If you are looking for the equivalent of a DVD recorder that does HD/5.1 to BD (i.e. a BD recorder), you are out of luck -- in the US anyhow. If you want to archive HD/5.1 you will need to involve a PC.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you want to archive HD/5.1 you will need to involve a PC.

I know he doesn't want TiVo but some Netgear ReadyNAS models will automatically archive TiVo's recordings (as long as they aren't protected) with playback on any TiVo. Also, TiVo files can easily be played via various streaming devices.

http://www.readynas.com/?p=4324
Charles R is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I know he doesn't want TiVo but some Netgear ReadyNAS models will automatically archive TiVo's recordings (as long as they aren't protected) with playback on any TiVo. Also, TiVo files can easily be played via various streaming devices.

http://www.readynas.com/?p=4324

Since I use a TiVo and am always transferring files from it, I would love to have one of those ReadyNAS units that is TiVo ready -- but they are just too expensive. I have TiVo desktop running on my media-PC and I have it set up to auto-transfer any episodes of the series I want to collect -- it starts the transfer as soon as the episode has completed recording without any intervention on my part. I figure that is close enough to a ReadyNAS for me.

Media streamers will not directly play .tivo files. .tivo files have an encrypted wrapper that needs to be stripped away. Video ReDo will handle .tivo files and I use it to edit out commercials and save the edit as an .m2ts file on my NAS unit. Then I can use my WD Live players to stream it.

This is certainly a solution for the OP if he can get past his objection to TiVo and the $600 it costs for a non-subscription unit. Still requires a PC though.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,158
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Since I use a TiVo and am always transferring files from it, I would love to have one of those ReadyNAS units that is TiVo ready -- but they are just too expensive.

They start at $130 for 2 bays and $280 for 4 bays... the new v2 models (current promotion).

Quote:


Media streamers will not directly play .tivo files. .tivo files have an encrypted wrapper that needs to be stripped away.

I use kmttg (via OS X) and it only take a few minutes without a quality hit. Hence I call it easy.
Charles R is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
OldSchoolMETAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago area/Indiana
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

By "stand-alone" do you mean no PC either? If you are looking for the equivalent of a DVD recorder that does HD/5.1 to BD (i.e. a BD recorder), you are out of luck -- in the US anyhow. If you want to archive HD/5.1 you will need to involve a PC.

Thanks but even recording to a HDD with compatible HD formats that can be stored on any HDD for permanent archiving is fine. Actually that's what I like best since Blu-ray recorders are expensive and blank discs are super expensive.

The Avermedia recorders look really good but I've read of some reliability troubles with these.

I'll likely stick to my DVD Recorders. HD would be great but I'd like to record in 16:9 format but my HD cable box will only put out 4:3 letterboxed (none anamorphic) video output in 480i resolution which offers terrible resolution when zoomed in to display a full widescreen picture. For that reason, I have forced the cable box output to pan and scan 4:3 just to keep resolution looking good and not like a VHS tape. With a 16:9 HD source output through the component outputs, I can retain the widescreen format with good or even the best resolution.

Thanks again.
OldSchoolMETAL is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

They start at $130 for 2 bays and $280 for 4 bays... the new v2 models (current promotion).

That is substantially less than I remember last time I checked -- it's been a while. I'll have to give them a second look when the price of HDD's comes down a bit more.

Quote:
I use kmttg (via OS X) and it only take a few minutes without a quality hit. Hence I call it easy.

Absolutely. I use kmttg also for 1-off transfers. You can tell it to quickly strip off the .tivo wrapper and just leave the .mpg file after it does the transfer. That .mpg file can be played by just about anything. I usually don't bother with stripping off the .tivo wrapper since Video ReDo will do that automatically when I edit out commercials.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

Thanks but even recording to a HDD with compatible HD formats that can be stored on any HDD for permanent archiving is fine. Actually that's what I like best since Blu-ray recorders are expensive and blank discs are super expensive.

The Avermedia recorders look really good but I've read of some reliability troubles with these.

From the brief exchange between Charles R. and myself you should see that TiVo is a ready option for this. That's what a lot of us do. Of course, it only works for non-copy protected source. I know nothing about Avermedia recorders.

Quote:
I'll likely stick to my DVD Recorders. HD would be great but I'd like to record in 16:9 format but my HD cable box will only put out 4:3 letterboxed (none anamorphic) video output in 480i resolution which offers terrible resolution when zoomed in to display a full widescreen picture.

Go visit the DVD Recorder Forum. There is an active discussion thread on video converters (HDMI-->component; component-->S-Video) to address exactly this problem. No matter what you do, the PQ will always look worse than recording in HD and the better your display, the worse the SD will look.

Recording HD/5.1 is simply not "cheap".

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ak3883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 1,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do a search for the Hauppauge HDPVR. It has component inputs and records to .TS files using H.264. You can specify to make the recordings compatable with a 360,PS3, or just AVCHD.

However since it uses the "analog loophole"/component of course there is an analog to digital conversion that takes place. The quality hit isn't too bad and you can adjust the bitrate, takes up a ton less space than MPEG2... it retains DD5.1 in AC3 format as well. The recordings I make are 100% compatible with my LED Samsung Smart TV. I plug in my external hard drive and it plays them without fuss, about as close to original quality as you can get, pumping out 5.1 as well.

I have one and while the software is a little bit buggy/twitchy once you get it set up and working it's pretty reliable. The newer drivers/versions are much improved over the first versions which were pretty much beta.
ak3883 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
profhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

but I'm not interested in subscription based recorders or recorders that make temporary recordings on a none archiving HDD as Tivo, DirecTivo, Direct TV DVR, Comcast DVR, etc.

I'm looking for a stand-alone recorder that can record from component video outputs, in the AVCHD format or another format to a hard drive, that's highly compatible with most Blu-ray Players and Smart TVs.

I've only found some from AVER Media that are meant for video game HD recording.

Thanks

You will need something like this.
profhat is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
OldSchoolMETAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago area/Indiana
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks everyone, you have really some great info that I'll be looking into. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had some major things come up in my life and quite honestly, forgot about this thread.

However, thanks a lot, as I really appreciate all the time you guys put into your response. It has really helped.
OldSchoolMETAL is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off