Slooow Channel Surfing w/most DVRs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks:

I'm currently using a DirecTV HR24 DVR for my time-shifting, but will soon have a Verizon (Motorola) QIP7232 DVR (don't tell DirecTV!). DVRs in general take more or less forever to change channels, presumably to set up buffering for the new channel. Most of us have been told that, in order to get faster channel-changes, you should set the DVR to output a FIXED resolution (say, 1080i) and avoid using "native". So, here's my question:

WHY wouldn't it take less time for the DVR to leave the resolution untouched (native)? Wouldn't it take more time to upconvert every SD channel (or cross-convert a 720p channel) to 1080i? Beats me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500GB View Post

Most of us have been told that, in order to get faster channel-changes, you should set the DVR to output a FIXED resolution (say, 1080i) and avoid using "native". So, here's my question:

WHY wouldn't it take less time for the DVR to leave the resolution untouched (native)? Wouldn't it take more time to upconvert every SD channel (or cross-convert a 720p channel) to 1080i? Beats me.....

I think there are two parts to this.
1) the TV needing to resync to the new resolution. Mine adds about a sec or 2 as it has to change.
2) the decoding process of the receiver, which might be like changing the resolution on your computer's monitor. A fixed output doesn't slow down your computer as it's playing video.

A.K.A. VOS
post #3 of 3 Old 05-26-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500GB View Post

Hi Folks:

I'm currently using a DirecTV HR24 DVR for my time-shifting, but will soon have a Verizon (Motorola) QIP7232 DVR (don't tell DirecTV!). DVRs in general take more or less forever to change channels, presumably to set up buffering for the new channel. Most of us have been told that, in order to get faster channel-changes, you should set the DVR to output a FIXED resolution (say, 1080i) and avoid using "native". So, here's my question:

Get with the program man - that is what the EPG is for. DBS subscribers have had that same issue ever since it became available. It's time to get out of the "channel surfing" age and into the "EPG" age.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page