Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Users Manual - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-27-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a PDF copy of the Cisco Explorer 8742HDC users manual?

I've contacted my provider (Time Warner) and the only document they could produce was a 2 page quick reference guide.

I couldn't find any information about this DVR on the Cisco website either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Join the club.
Issue DVR, provide no manual. According to one of their CSR's, there is none due to different firmware versions & updates. rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow, people actually read user manuals? smile.gif

Why would you even need a user manual? The Quick Start Guide gives you all of the relevant info had the hardware. For firmware based features of the box, since every MSO is running different firmware, it would be impossible for Cisco themselves to publish a real user manual. I’m not sure about other providers, but Time Warner has a support section on their website, because navigator on an 8240HDC is no different than Navigator on a 8742HDC, the information is universal from one box to the next.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.3.0_29
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0972, HR24-200 Running 0802
post #4 of 15 Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Why would you even need a user manual?
You have to be kidding ? You must work for ePVision. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
since every MSO is running different firmware, it would be impossible for Cisco themselves to publish a real user manual.
I basically stated that.
Quote:
because navigator on an 8240HDC is no different than Navigator on a 8742HDC
Which basically contradicts what you just posted.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yup, you got me, I work for ePVision rolleyes.gif (not sure why that's even relevent)

There’s nothing contradictory about it. There is absolutely no reason for Cisco to put out a user manual when, for many MSOs, they are not the ones providing the firmware, and even if they did put out a manual for each platform, there’s no guarantee that those features will be around after the next firmware update. It would be a waste of effort to create a manual.

What reason do you even need a manual or this thing? If you’ve used any TW Navigator based DVR is the past, it’s basically the same thing. If you haven’t, all the info is on TW’s website. If you’re interested in the hardware of the 8742, that’s what the quick guide is for.

This is a much ado about nothing.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.3.0_29
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0972, HR24-200 Running 0802
post #6 of 15 Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Quote:
Why would you even need a user manual?
You have to be kidding ? You must work for ePVision. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
since every MSO is running different firmware, it would be impossible for Cisco themselves to publish a real user manual.
I basically stated that.
Quote:
because navigator on an 8240HDC is no different than Navigator on a 8742HDC
Which basically contradicts what you just posted.

No. What he is saying is that the manual should be put out by Navigator, not by Cisco. Cisco doesn't know if the user will be using SARA, PASSPORT, NAVIGATOR, or some other firmware. All Cisco manuals only cover SARA. PASSPORT and PASSPORT ECHO have manuals of their own. NAVIGATOR needs to do likewise.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yup, you got me, I work for ePVision (not sure why that's even relevent)
Take a look at the ePVision DVR thread. Three months and no manual!
Quote:
What he is saying is that the manual should be put out by Navigator, not by Cisco.
I was planing on adding the same to my post. As long as someone supplies some documentation, either in printed form, or a printable on-line manual. Something!
Quote:
Cisco doesn't know if the user will be using SARA, PASSPORT, NAVIGATOR, or some other firmware.
I understand that. At no point did I state only TWC supplying the manual. You apparently assumed that's what I meant, sorry it wasn't. wink.gif
Quote:
NAVIGATOR needs to do likewise.
Confused by this. Isn't the term "Navigator" something TWC uses for their user interface (avoiding the terms "software" or more correctly "firmware")? confused.gif

Is "Navigator" some 3rd party that writes the firmware for these, as opposed to some fancy name TWC gave to their user interface?

post #8 of 15 Old 07-05-2012, 08:26 PM

I would just like to know how to dim the display on the front because it lights up my entire bedroom even when the unit is powered off. I have to cover it with a shirt at night so I can get to sleep mad.gif. Do you have any information on this matter?
post #9 of 15 Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The menu should have a entry to change the display to none. No dimming, just off completely.
The only other way is to place a opaque material over the display to 'dim' the output.

post #10 of 15 Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 PM

Here is the PDF user manual (or at least the closest thing I could find to one). I am so interested what the USB and Ethernet ports are for.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/8000_STTs/4038345C.pdf
post #11 of 15 Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bateman View Post

I would just like to know how to dim the display on the front because it lights up my entire bedroom even when the unit is powered off. I have to cover it with a shirt at night so I can get to sleep mad.gif. Do you have any information on this matter?

What firmware? With TRIO, it's:

SETTINGS->RECEIVERS->FRONT PANEL->FRONT PANEL STATUS->ON WITH RECEIVER
post #12 of 15 Old 11-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwes View Post

Here is the PDF user manual (or at least the closest thing I could find to one). I am so interested what the USB and Ethernet ports are for.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/8000_STTs/4038345C.pdf
As far as I know, the USB port can be used to power a USB device; that is all. On one of my Cisco ("SA") boxes, I use the USB port to power an IR extender. No actual functionality is supported. I can't comment on the Ethernet port.

Ron (Cox Phoenix AZ) SA 8300HD, Passport Echo 3.1.085, OS PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp
post #13 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta View Post

As far as I know, the USB port can be used to power a USB device; that is all. On one of my Cisco ("SA") boxes, I use the USB port to power an IR extender. No actual functionality is supported. I can't comment on the Ethernet port.
That sounds right. Usually those USB ports are there for the cable techs to use when troubleshooting the DVR. The end-user would be able to do nothing other than power a USB device with it.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 PM

I know this is an old thread but I found it searching for an answer to a question I have about this same box so I figured I'd ask it here rather then start a new thread.

Is there any way to transfer programs that are recorded on this DVR to an external eSATA drive. My box is failing (glitching every 30 seconds) and I was told that I needed to exchange the box which would mean that I would loose every program on the DVR. Just looking for a solution before I ditch it.  Thanks!

post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nope, not that i have ever seen. The MSO's have these locked up tight. of course you can always ask them, but it will probably be a no.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page