Tivo HD + TW + Cablecard = Olympics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not a huge sports fan, which is one of the reasons I cut the cord a few years ago (just a Tivo HD, the WD expander drive, and an attic antenna). However, I am a ravenous Olympics nut! So, In order to get all the coverage, including the online component, I'm considering a temporary hookup with Time Warner cable. I have a few questions I'm hoping the forum can assist on--

I know the Tivo HD supports Cablecard--is that the best choice for TW hookup?

Are there any known issues with this combo--things I should keep an eye on?

Will I get a multichannel cablecard from TW--should I insist on it?

Should I consider buying my own cablecard, rather than renting it? I might hook up TW again down the line, and that might make installation easier. If I go that way, will TW give me a hassle about it?

I currently have two coax cables running to the Tivo HD location--I previously used DTV--with a powered splitter before it in order to send the antenna signal to other TV's in the house. Can I still use one of those two lines for antenna, and the other for the new cable signal? What happens to the other TV's using the splitter? Is there a better way to do it?

We got an email offer last night to get 50Mbit internet (also through TW--I already have RR Turbo) and would get "TV Essentials" with it. There's little on the TW site explaining what that includes--any ideas? I would need to commit to a year of this to get the deal.

Any info on these points would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastwasteland View Post

I'm not a huge sports fan, which is one of the reasons I cut the cord a few years ago (just a Tivo HD, the WD expander drive, and an attic antenna). However, I am a ravenous Olympics nut! So, In order to get all the coverage, including the online component, I'm considering a temporary hookup with Time Warner cable. I have a few questions I'm hoping the forum can assist on--
I know the Tivo HD supports Cablecard--is that the best choice for TW hookup?

That's your best bet, yeah. TiVo *technically* can record clear QAM channels, but you won't get guide info, and most cable providers (TW included) provide very little aside from must-carry locals in clear QAM anyway.
Quote:
Are there any known issues with this combo--things I should keep an eye on?

Not really. Pop in card, supply pairing information from menus to the technician to call into the headend, then re-run Guided Setup. I haven't been on TW in a few years now, but even when I was, they were pretty easy to work with for CableCARD setups.
Quote:
Will I get a multichannel cablecard from TW--should I insist on it?

At this point, S-CARDs (single-stream cards) are no longer made, and their stock of any should be long retired. Might check the label, but at this point, you'll almost certainly get an M-CARD from them.
Quote:
Should I consider buying my own cablecard, rather than renting it? I might hook up TW again down the line, and that might make installation easier. If I go that way, will TW give me a hassle about it?

They won't sell you one, and the fee for one is on the order of a handful of dollars a month. Don't bother.
Quote:
I currently have two coax cables running to the Tivo HD location--I previously used DTV--with a powered splitter before it in order to send the antenna signal to other TV's in the house. Can I still use one of those two lines for antenna, and the other for the new cable signal? What happens to the other TV's using the splitter? Is there a better way to do it?

Seems reasonable. Nothing should happen to any other TVs attached to the same splitter. There's really not a "better" way to do it - you have to have one coax input for OTA, and the other for the cable TV cable feed. The OTA and cable frequency spectrums overlap, so even if you wanted to, you can't put both on the same cable (at least not without extra, costly equipment, which is totally unnecessary for your application).
post #3 of 3 Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks so much for the info--and the quick reply!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page