ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
First ... 9  10  11 12  13  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread
TalkingRat's Avatar TalkingRat 04:45 PM 06-27-2012
If anyone wants a CM7000, Channel Master has suggested you just call. They still list them, just not consistently. Today they showed open box ($330) and new ($340). Overpriced for a 'discontinued' model, but for my purposes TVGOS is worth more than wireless and I like TVGOS enough to put up with the bugs.

tmn1's Avatar tmn1 04:49 PM 06-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The main draw of the TViX is its capabilities as a media player, which most other DVRs lack. The VRX lets you offload recordings because the drive is external, but the TViX will let you transfer them over the network as well as USB, and it accepts inbound file transfers, too. The DTVPal and its successors have no networking capabilities, so you can only use those models for throw-away recordings, unlike a VCR, which also sufficed for archival purposes.
I would recommend buying a discontinued model that you know will meet your needs over buying a current one based on the hope that it will get an update that enables it to meet your needs in an uncertain future.

I couldn't agree with you more about getting something that works now and meets most of your needs. I too would like to have the ability to archive recordings as well as to be able to play them on a different player later. That is the main reason I am buying a VRX now with hope it will be workable at some later date. I am not going to use it to record anything of importance at this time. I would mention that if you are a little handy you can add an external drive to your PAL unit as I have for one of mine. That allows me to dedicate one separate HDD for recordings I want to save. I simply change out HDDs when I want to have something recorded to save. It is far from ideal because it is still dependant on the PAL machine to play but with having two units I am safe for awhile. Cest la vie...smile.gif
GilesLevy's Avatar GilesLevy 07:51 PM 06-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Ok, here goes, kid gloves off. This does not include any hardware issues.
14. A timer recording from standby looses the 1st 45 seconds of the program due to the boot time if the recorder was in standby. Recording start time should one minute early by default.

Minor suggestion to avoid issues with overlapping recordings.
Institute the one minute early suggestion with an if - then statement:
if not coming out of standby then ignore the one minute early default unless set by user.
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 09:32 PM 06-27-2012
tmn1;
That's a steep price for that model. Less than $70 more, the 7400 would be a better buy in spite of the overheating problem. The 7000 Guide setup doesn't handle data from Rovi very well. Even though the data is there and good, many locals had no data other than the limited PSIP from each station defeating the advantage of full 7 day program listings.

GilesLevy;
Excellent call. I never thought about overlapping recordings. (Actually I had to re-read your post to see the problem).
The solution is not to start the recording one minute early, but to power the recorder up one minute early when it is in standby. Entry corrected.

BTW, thanks for not quoting the entire post. wink.gif
shur0013's Avatar shur0013 10:13 PM 06-27-2012
Simply changing out HDD? Now you got me thinking whether my ol' PAL could be savaged? Obviously you have experience with this. If it is easy enough, I wonder if swapping out my HDD in my burned out PAL could revive it? i suspect it was overheating that caused it to fail. It's current condition is red light on, but no signal to the TV. It was acting strangely before it died. Neither a soft or hard reboot does anything. i know it is difficult if not impossible for you to diagnose anything without seeing it, but do you think it is worth tinkering with? or are there possibly too many other issues or unintended consequences that could be a problem?

Regarding a posted by Aleron Ives
The main draw of the TViX is its capabilities as a media player, which most other DVRs lack. The VRX lets you offload recordings because the drive is external, but the TViX will let you transfer them over the network as well as USB, and it accepts inbound file transfers, too.

I thought I read (or maybe assumed) that the VRX could transfer files to a computer through its network connection, as long as you got wireless adaptor or wired connection to a computer. Am I mistaken?
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 11:58 PM 06-27-2012
Quote:
Now you got me thinking whether my ol' PAL could be savaged?
You can swap drives with those DVR's but I believe you can't just use anything. Best to ask this in their thread. wink.gif
Quote:
I thought I read (or maybe assumed) that the VRX could transfer files to a computer through its network connection, as long as you got wireless adaptor or wired connection to a computer.
I never tried any of that since there has been so many 'basic' issues that haven't been addressed. See if someone else can chime in here.
lutherpstr's Avatar lutherpstr 11:04 AM 06-28-2012
For what it is worth, I just pluged a ethernet cable into it from my router. Worked fine for watching youtube.
HDTV1080P24's Avatar HDTV1080P24 10:17 PM 06-28-2012
More PHD-VRX and TV station comments

Around the year 2009 100% of all full power TV stations in the United States finished converting to ATSC digital because of the FCC law. Low power analog NTSC stations in the United States were allowed to continue broadcasting. I emailed my local low power analog NTSC station in my area to see if they have any plans to switch to digital. The engineering department for the local low power TV station in my area told me that sometime in the future they plan on switching to ATSC digital as soon as funding becomes available. So most likely most of the low power NTSC stations in the United States one day will switch to a minimum of 480i ATSC digital once funding becomes available. Also some analog NTSC stations that do not switch to ATSC digital might go out of business and shut down due to lack of funding.

The way the formatted hard drives and flash drives work off the PHD-VRX is complicated. There are some recording bugs I have run into. I have almost the entire few days spent messing around with the USB interface and plan on posting my brief results on the recording capability once I do some more extensive volunteer beta testing (I would rather be watching my Blu-ray movie collection but got side tracked in June when the PHD-VRX arrived).

Under the latest firmware version the Find Channel feature starts running when the consumer enters a wrong channel while channel surfing
This needs to be fixed with a future firmware update

For example when I am channel surfing if I type in the wrong channel by mistake the PHD-VRX firmware will automatically activate the “Find Channel” feature for that channel. Even if no digital or analog channel is located, a snowy analog channel will be added to the channel database and the only way to get rid of it is to do a new channel scan which erases the channel database. I realize the visibility of the channels can be disabled in the guide and channel database under the “Master List” menu option but one cannot delete a channel with “Find Channel” menu feature.

It is a bad feature for the PHD-VRX to automatically add channels to the channel database when the consumer accidently types in the wrong channel when channel surfing. After a few days I have 5 to 10 blank snowy analog NTSC channels that were added since many times I type in the wrong channel numbers. It is ridiculous that the channel database that one setups can be messed up with blank channels since the “Find Channel” feature runs every time a wrong channel is entered.

The following is an example of what the PHD-VRX should do when a consumer is channel surfing and types in a channel that is not in the database: The PHD-VRX should not change the channel at all when the consumer types in a channel that does not exist in the database. Also a message on the screen that says something like “No such channel number exists in the database” or “No such channel”, etc.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 12:52 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

More PHD-VRX and TV station comments

Around the year 2009 100% of all full power TV stations in the United States finished converting to ATSC digital because of the FCC law. Low power analog NTSC stations in the United States were allowed to continue broadcasting. I emailed my local low power analog NTSC station in my area to see if they have any plans to switch to digital. The engineering department for the local low power TV station in my area told me that sometime in the future they plan on switching to ATSC digital as soon as funding becomes available. So most likely most of the low power NTSC stations in the United States one day will switch to a minimum of 480i ATSC digital once funding becomes available. Also some analog NTSC stations that do not switch to ATSC digital might go out of business and shut down due to lack of funding.

The way the formatted hard drives and flash drives work off the PHD-VRX is complicated. There are some recording bugs I have run into. I have almost the entire few days spent messing around with the USB interface and plan on posting my brief results on the recording capability once I do some more extensive volunteer beta testing (I would rather be watching my Blu-ray movie collection but got side tracked in June when the PHD-VRX arrived).

Under the latest firmware version the Find Channel feature starts running when the consumer enters a wrong channel while channel surfing
This needs to be fixed with a future firmware update

For example when I am channel surfing if I type in the wrong channel by mistake the PHD-VRX firmware will automatically activate the “Find Channel” feature for that channel. Even if no digital or analog channel is located, a snowy analog channel will be added to the channel database and the only way to get rid of it is to do a new channel scan which erases the channel database. I realize the visibility of the channels can be disabled in the guide and channel database under the “Master List” menu option but one cannot delete a channel with “Find Channel” menu feature.

It is a bad feature for the PHD-VRX to automatically add channels to the channel database when the consumer accidently types in the wrong channel when channel surfing. After a few days I have 5 to 10 blank snowy analog NTSC channels that were added since many times I type in the wrong channel numbers. It is ridiculous that the channel database that one setups can be messed up with blank channels since the “Find Channel” feature runs every time a wrong channel is entered.

The following is an example of what the PHD-VRX should do when a consumer is channel surfing and types in a channel that is not in the database: The PHD-VRX should not change the channel at all when the consumer types in a channel that does not exist in the database. Also a message on the screen that says something like “No such channel number exists in the database” or “No such channel”, etc.
HDTV1080P24, what color text are you using? Your posts are invisible to those of us using the black background, it's just a big blank space.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 02:36 AM 06-29-2012
H1P said previously that he pastes his text from a document editor into his posts. His software inserts a colour code into his text that forces it to be black, which overrides the default formatting of the forum skins. As a result, anyone using a dark skin won't be able to see the text without highlighting it or copying it into a text file. The only way to fix the problem is for H1P to change the method he uses to make his posts, such as composing them in plain text, pasting them into the post editor, and then adding the formatting manually with BB code. It's also possible that he could change his software to not explicitly define the colour of unformatted text, if his software allows it.
HDTV1080P24's Avatar HDTV1080P24 05:35 AM 06-29-2012
EpVision support told me how to get to the buried menu that allows the PHD-VRX to get the time from either a digital channel or when on an analog channel by having the PHD-VRX check the Internet for the exact time. So correction to a prior post if a power outage occurs and the user powers up the box from standbye mode the box will set to the exact time on both a digital and even an analog channel as long as both boxes are checked in the Manual Time Settings. The problem is the user still has to turn the PHD-VRX back on to have the PHD-VRX get the time from the digital channel or Internet. I replied to the email and recommended that after a power outage that the PHD-VRX should automatically turn itself back on for 1 minute and then turn itself off so that the clock can be restored.

Under "Date & Time" then "Manual Time Setting" both "Auto-Update Time Channel" and "Auto-Update Time NTP(Network)" should be checked. Time from the channel only works on a digital ATSC/QAM channel. When on a analog channel the PHD-VRX will set the exact time from the NTP over a Internet connection. For consumers that have no Internet the auto Time channel will only be used. Also if only the NTP box is checked and consumers have a working Internet connection then one will not be getting the time from the channel at all. Its better to have both boxes checked since the PHD-VRX will have a backup way to set the time in case one method fails.

So to make a long story short if the consumer has both boxes checked under the Manual time setting then the PHD-VRX will first try and get the time code from the digital channel. If the consumer is on a analog channel the time information will come from the Internet connection. So one does not need a Internet connection to restore the time just a digital ATSC/QAM channel.

The following is an email quote or paraphrase that I sent to EpVision
“Yes when the PHD-VRX is turned back on after the power outage or “master power switch” is pressed the PHD-VRX will regain time if both those check boxes you mentioned is checked. When the clock is reset to 12:00 am the PHD-VRX should be smart enough to turn itself back on for 1 minute and then shut itself off so the time can be restored. The PHD-VRX should be smart enough to turn itself back on after a power outage and restore the time from either a digital channel or Interent connection without the user needing to power up the box after a power outage.”

Also it sounds like the EpVision designers have no plans on offering 5.1 Dolby Digital over HDMI. Their other older models also do not offer 5.1 Dolby Digital over HDMI. Only 2 out of the 3 detailed emails I sent to them were replied too. I sent them another email to explain to them that sending 5.1 Dolby Digital over HDMI is a common feature offered by the competition and this should be changed.

The following is a couple email’s I received from EPVision support within the last few hours:

“Thanks again for your email!

PHD-VRX channel scan method is more superior and complex, which is based on originally developed by Broadcom/ATI for many high-end TVs. The way is like:
For an example, physical channel number is 50. Under this physical channel, if there are 4x virtual channels as 20-1, 20-2, 20-3, 20-4.
So if user randomly enter “20”, PHD-VRX will look up the master list first to see if there is a virtual channel number called 20-1. If yes, it will tune and lock to ch 20-1.

If user randomly enter “50”, PHD-VRX will look up the master list to search 50-1. If none, it will try to scan physical channel# 50 and finally find ch 20-1 is the first virtual channel number and then lock to that channel.

If this channel “50” has no virtual channels, in Tuner 1, which has NTSC decoding, it will finally think it is analog channel and tune to channel 50 or 50-0 as an analog channel. Of course, this channel is snowing. In Tuner 2, which has no NTSC decoding, it will keep scanning. Front panel will show “SCAN” and screen is blank. Soon, user will find out and re-enter the correct channel number.

In tuner 1, since it has NTSC, it tunes to analog channel. As you mentioned, it adds this channel. In the master list, you can press “Red” key to skip this channel. And this channel will never show again unless re-selected. You don’t really need to re-scan all the channels. However, we will discuss this internally to see if we can improve in the future. Thanks again for the valuable comments.

Support Team
ePVision.com”

The following is the start of email two:

“Thanks again for your email!

Most of PHD-VRX HDMI output connection is directly connected to TV sets, which requires audio re-decoded to stereo. If HDMI output is sending raw S/PDIF data to TV, then most TVs won’t have audio from PHD-VRX. In order to enjoy 5.1 Dolby digital, you can connect optical audio port (Toslink) to your A/V receiver so it can re-encode from raw data back to Dolby surround sound if available.

The power outage situation is the same as the old day VCR recording. Once of a while maybe in a whole year, at least not too often, there is a power outage, we will need to reset every machines like VCR, TV, cable box, etc. to the right time again. No any major TV/VCR manufacturers adding a backup battery for this situation just because the chance for power outage won’t happen that often. The good thing for PHD-VRX as you also mentioned, if user selects both options of (1) Auto Update Time Channel and (2) Auto Update Time NTP (Network) under menu Settings -> Date & Time -> Manual Time Settings. Then after power outage and back on, user press standby key or remote POWER key, PHD-VRX will update and correct date/time immediately no matter is in analog channel or not.

1. “Final Channel” is that PHD-VRX will find these virtual channels from the physical channel you entered. By easily delete “physical” channel, will create more confusions after whole bunch of virtual channels all of sudden disappeared. General consumers will be confused. But we will discuss internally about this.
2. We will study this. Thanks.
3. We will study this. Thanks.
4. It is the limitation, but we will study that.
5. It is a good suggestion. But based on current 6-digit LED we use, it won’t be that user-friendly for (b) and (c) options. However, we will discuss that.

Thanks again for your valuable comments.

Support Team
ePVision.com”
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 06:32 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:
HDTV1080P24, what color text are you using? Your posts are invisible to those of us using the black background, it's just a big blank space.
We aren't going through this again?
(His "black" is very slightly darker than the forums black on the very light blue background in the default forum style.)
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 06:48 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:
It is a bad feature for the PHD-VRX to automatically add channels to the channel database when the consumer accidentally types in the wrong channel
I can't say I ever saw that. I sounds more like another 'bug'. wink.gif
Quote:
Only 2 out of the 3 detailed emails I sent to them were replied too.
At least you get something. mad.gif
Quote:
“Yes when the PHD-VRX is turned back on after the power outage or “master power switch” is pressed the PHD-VRX will regain time if both those check boxes you mentioned is checked. When the clock is reset to 12:00 am the PHD-VRX should be smart enough to turn itself back on for 1 minute and then shut itself off so the time can be restored. The PHD-VRX should be smart enough to turn itself back on after a power outage and restore the time from either a digital channel or Interent connection without the user needing to power up the box after a power outage.”
Anytime I even removed power and re-applied it, I automatically took it out of standby, so I never had the happen. Interesting function/feature.
Quote:
If this channel “50” has no virtual channels, in Tuner 1, which has NTSC decoding, it will finally think it is analog channel and tune to channel 50 or 50-0 as an analog channel. Of course, this channel is snowing. In Tuner 2, which has no NTSC decoding, it will keep scanning. Front panel will show “SCAN” and screen is blank. Soon, user will find out and re-enter the correct channel number.
I never saw that happen either, but any time I realized I enterned a 'wrong' channel, I woulg either ch or down, or enter the proper number. Some intervention on my part before the tuner was able to do anything else.
Quote:
1. “Final Channel” is that PHD-VRX will find these virtual channels from the physical channel you entered. By easily delete “physical” channel, will create more confusions after whole bunch of virtual channels all of sudden disappeared. General consumers will be confused. But we will discuss internally about this.
2. We will study this. Thanks.
3. We will study this. Thanks.
4. It is the limitation, but we will study that.
5. It is a good suggestion. But based on current 6-digit LED we use, it won’t be that user-friendly for (b) and (c) options. However, we will discuss that
Ok, how about your questions? wink.gif
JoeKustra's Avatar JoeKustra 06:52 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:

I would not like that. When I do a scan to build a channel database, valid channels are added (NTSC and/or QAM]. I can (and do) manually disable many channels so they do not appear when moving up or down. I can also manually select any channel with the remote. No action causes an automatic change in the database.

My TV will accept any channel from 2/2.1 through 135/135.9999. Same for several tuners and DVRs. On some equipment selection of a channel not in the database causes a jump to the next highest valid channel. On other equipment I get a message of "no signal" or "cannot decode". I prefer this action. Some equipment permits manual channel addition to the database, some does not.

You are probably in the majority since I have seen posts wishing that selection of an invalid channel should be blocked. Certainly adding an invalid channel should not be automatic. Manual deletion is an option that I can live with.
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 07:03 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:
The PHD-VRX should not change the channel at all when the consumer types in a channel that does not exist in the database.
That can work two ways. Many tuners (undocumented) can and will 'add' a channel not in the channel list by this method, especially if they do not a a separate function of adding a channel by a single entry like this has or a "add channel" full scan (like this has also).
Quote:
Certainly adding an invalid channel should not be automatic.
As stated, I bet it is just a 'bug'.
Here is where Asians have had continuous problems understanding on how our OTA & CATV systems works as to adding newly created CATV channels, and/or channels from other directions.
Quote:
By easily delete “physical” channel, will create more confusions after whole bunch of virtual channels all of sudden disappeared. General consumers will be confused.
He does have a point here. wink.gif
JoeKustra's Avatar JoeKustra 07:27 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:

EpVision support told me how to get to the buried menu that allows the PHD-VRX to get the time from either a digital channel or when on an analog channel by having the PHD-VRX check the Internet for the exact time. So correction to a prior post if a power outage occurs and the user powers up the box from standbye mode the box will set to the exact time on both a digital and even an analog channel as long as both boxes are checked in the Manual Time Settings. The problem is the user still has to turn the PHD-VRX back on to have the PHD-VRX get the time from the digital channel or Internet. I replied to the email and recommended that after a power outage that the PHD-VRX should automatically turn itself back on for 1 minute and then turn itself off so that the clock can be restored.

From ePVision:
Power supply: AC 120V, 60Hz
Consumption: 15 Watts
Standby mode: 2 Watt

If vampire power of two watts could move to 3 watts, maybe this unit could set the clock when powered off? Worked for my VCR with XDS. I know the government wants to reduce vampire power, but a unit without a clock should look for one when not busy. I can understand your feeling that the unit could power on. I have one DVR that does that twice a day to set the clock, and it has a 2+ hour battery inside.

I have had two power outages this year. Last one was 4am today.
Buckeye911's Avatar Buckeye911 07:37 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

H1P said previously that he pastes his text from a document editor into his posts. His software inserts a colour code into his text that forces it to be black, which overrides the default formatting of the forum skins. As a result, anyone using a dark skin won't be able to see the text without highlighting it or copying it into a text file. The only way to fix the problem is for H1P to change the method he uses to make his posts, such as composing them in plain text, pasting them into the post editor, and then adding the formatting manually with BB code. It's also possible that he could change his software to not explicitly define the colour of unformatted text, if his software allows it.
Got it, thanks.
HDTV1080P24's Avatar HDTV1080P24 09:20 AM 06-29-2012
I am use to satellite tuners from Direct TV and cable boxes from Verizon FIOS that do not go to a channel number that a consumer types in if the channel does not exist. I am all for being able to add one’s own channels manually and automatically in a special menu setting.

The questions that EpVision was replying to was in post number 279 and post 309.

If the unit could reset the time in standby mode I am all for it. I am using a UPS power backup so I should have less power issues, but for those consumers that do not have a power backup device the programmers at EPVision should easily be able to design the PHD-VRX firmware to at least take itself out of standbye mode when the power is restored and grab the clock data from a channel or Internet then power back down a minute later. This would be a good selling point to mention that the unit will always maintain its time for scheduled recordings. I like how the PHD-VRX offers a dual time database (channel and Internet) they just need to take the next step and have the unit set the time automatically when someone hits the “Master power button on the front” or the power goes out for one second. During a thunderstorm many people loose power for 1 second sometimes. That 1 second outage will reset the clock to 12:00am until someone manually takes it out of standby.
tmn1's Avatar tmn1 09:27 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:

tmn1;
That's a steep price for that model. Less than $70 more, the 7400 would be a better buy in spite of the overheating problem. The 7000 Guide setup doesn't handle data from Rovi very well. Even though the data is there and good, many locals had no data other than the limited PSIP from each station defeating the advantage of full 7 day program listings.
Bruce,
True, but again it is much better than the alternative at this time. I do not find the PSIP data worth the effort and all the major networks are filled out to seven days as well as many sub channels on the 7000 TVGOS. For me it is workable and the machine has a pretty good track record at this time. The 7400 is an unknown and the temp. problem has to be a time bomb. The major point and it applies here to the VRX is that older units with a track record are a known while new units are really a gamble. I find the Pal is entirely workable at this time while the VRX is (?) ARE THEY EVER EVEN GOING TO PUT TOGETHER A MANUAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shur0013 View Post

Simply changing out HDD? Now you got me thinking whether my ol' PAL could be savaged? Obviously you have experience with this. If it is easy enough, I wonder if swapping out my HDD in my burned out PAL could revive it? i suspect it was overheating that caused it to fail. It's current condition is red light on, but no signal to the TV. It was acting strangely before it died. Neither a soft or hard reboot does anything. i know it is difficult if not impossible for you to diagnose anything without seeing it, but do you think it is worth tinkering with? or are there possibly too many other issues or unintended consequences that could be a problem?

shur0013,
Go read the post I mentioned earlier for the Pal unit. It will take you a while since it is fairly long but it is very complete. You may very well have a fixable unit. The additional HDD dock and cable I mentioned can be purchased for about $20 or you can fairly simply swap out a new HDD in place of the old one but go read the Pal forum. biggrin.gif
shur0013's Avatar shur0013 11:29 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

shur0013,
Go read the post I mentioned earlier for the Pal unit. It will take you a while since it is fairly long but it is very complete. You may very well have a fixable unit. The additional HDD dock and cable I mentioned can be purchased for about $20 or you can fairly simply swap out a new HDD in place of the old one but go read the Pal forum. biggrin.gif

Thanks! I did read that post last night. I think I need to read it again as it is lengthy and uncharted territory for me. So let me make sure I understand: there is another slot for an additional HDD, leaving the old one in place? If so, which is easier or better for a novice like me: using that dock or swap out the old HDD?

I am a complete novice at this, so any amount of detailed information, including your recommended HDD products and accessories, you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

I have a recent post on page 480 of the PAL thread. I imagine it is proper protocol to reply to me on that thread since this is not VRX topic, per se.
Brian A's Avatar Brian A 12:46 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:

Most of PHD-VRX HDMI output connection is directly connected to TV sets, which requires audio re-decoded to stereo. If HDMI output is sending raw S/PDIF data to TV, then most TVs won’t have audio from PHD-VRX. In order to enjoy 5.1 Dolby digital, you can connect optical audio port (Toslink) to your A/V receiver so it can re-encode from raw data back to Dolby surround sound if available.

Unfortunately, I have found at least two problems using the optical output to obtain 5.1 Dolby Digital at my receiver:

1. There is no audio at all when the timeshifting mode is activated. There is audio on the HDMI output.

2. If a recorded program is paused during playback, the video freezes but the audio continues playing for an additional 5 seconds or so. When the video stream is resumed by hitting play, there is no audio until the video "catches up" to the point where the audio originally paused (another 5 seconds). The HDMI output behaves normally.

If ePVision expects us to use the optical output for 5.1 DD, then they need to fix these two serious bugs.
tmn1's Avatar tmn1 01:30 PM 06-29-2012
shur0013,
I answered your questions in the other forum. I will check back there if you have any further questions,
Tom:)
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 02:27 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post

Unfortunately, I have found at least two problems using the optical output to obtain 5.1 Dolby Digital at my receiver:
1. There is no audio at all when the timeshifting mode is activated. There is audio on the HDMI output.
2. If a recorded program is paused during playback, the video freezes but the audio continues playing for an additional 5 seconds or so. When the video stream is resumed by hitting play, there is no audio until the video "catches up" to the point where the audio originally paused (another 5 seconds). The HDMI output behaves normally.
If ePVision expects us to use the optical output for 5.1 DD, then they need to fix these two serious bugs.
Added to #9 in the laundry list in post 254.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 03:49 PM 06-29-2012
Regarding the clock functions, it's also worth remembering that setting the clock with PSIP isn't an option for some people, as many stations don't bother to set the correct time (especially when DST transitions are near). That just leaves getting the time over the network, and unless the VRX keeps its Ethernet hardware powered while in standby (which it probably doesn't), there's no way for it to update the time without being booted.

There's also probably no way for the VRX to "detect" a power failure and turn itself on just long enough to reset the clock. As far as the VRX is concerned, being unplugged is the same thing as a power failure, so the only way to get the feature would be for the VRX to always automatically turn itself on whenever it gets plugged in. Having it automatically turn itself off again after setting the clock would prove troublesome for people setting up the unit for the first time, though. wink.gif
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 03:55 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:
so the only way to get the feature would be for the VRX to always automatically turn itself on whenever it gets plugged in. Having it automatically turn itself off again after setting the clock would prove troublesome for people setting up the unit for the first time, though.
That surely sounds doable to me, though I don't see that disadvantage.
JoeKustra's Avatar JoeKustra 04:12 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:

Quote:
so the only way to get the feature would be for the VRX to always automatically turn itself on whenever it gets plugged in.
That surely sounds doable to me, though I don't see that disadvantage.

Loss and restoration of power should not cause a loss of the time. Even a big ass capacitor would help. But since my power outages average six minutes, the cap might not work. I would repeat my earlier post: when I turned OFF my old VCR it would start looking for a clock signal starting at channel 2. When I plugged in my CM7400 and set up the network IP connection, it found the time. When I powered on my M6620N it found the time in under one minute. It's not rocket science.
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 04:19 PM 06-29-2012
I should of done a full quote. frown.gif The disadvantage I was referring to was what he posted, not the fact it looses the time with a power loss.
JoeKustra's Avatar JoeKustra 04:28 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:

I should of done a full quote. frown.gif The disadvantage I was referring to was what he posted, not the fact it looses the time with a power loss.

That's cool. If I unplug my TV it loses time (--:--). The Sony's also lose it when unplugged, but usually get it back in a minute if TVGOS is up. I guess you can say I'm a little myoptic on this issue. If a 25 year old VCR could set its clock when turned off, how hard can it be now? And the VCR still works fine and records all 525 lines, not just 480.

But since you brought it up. So I plug in the VRX. It turns on. I now need to wait a minute since it will turn off? Or is there a way to override this? I give up.
HDTV1080P24's Avatar HDTV1080P24 05:19 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post

I also noticed these audio problems when recording but did not have time to post them yet. Also we live in a HDMI world and to not pass 5.1 Dolby Digital over HDMI will upset some consumers that are use to only using HDMI with the other brands of boxes that pass AC3 over HDMI. I ended up purchasing a high-end optical cable for around $60 since HDMI only passes 2.0 PCM. I realize that consumers can shop monoprice and others to get an optical cable for under $10 but requiring customers to use optical for 5.1 Dolby Digital will turn some people off to this item.

The unique exclusive feature of this subscription free PHD-VRX box is the dual RF inputs with 4 channel maps. Which makes it an ideal product for those consumers that want both clear unencrypted QAM and clear ATSC. If I did not have cable and only had a TV antenna I might have went with another brand and model. The old TIVO boxes and PHD-VRX are the only tuner boxes on the market that offer a dual RF input. Every consumer needs to decide for themselves what features are important to them.
JoeKustra's Avatar JoeKustra 05:24 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:

The unique exclusive feature of this subscription free PHD-VRX box is the dual RF inputs with 4 channel maps. Which makes it ideal product for those consumers that want both clear unencrypted QAM and clear ATSC. If I did not have cable and only had a TV antenna I might have went with another brand and model. The old TIVO boxes and PHD-VRX are the only tuner boxes on the market that offer a dual RF input. Every consumer needs to decide for themselves want features are important to them.

Your posts and their information have been outstanding. You have a lot of Karma in the bank.
Tags: Epvision Phd Vrx
First ... 9  10  11 12  13  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop