3Likes

post #451 of 2338 Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I'm surprised no one has commented on his 'sideline' and the apparent fact there are only five reported employees and supposedly he is the president.
I thought maybe it was not current info?
Est. Total Sales: $ 220,000.00 < Really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2338 Old 07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The main thing I don't like about this box is that you can't channel surf very quickly, as the Channel Up/Down buttons stop on each channel rather than going on up to the desired channel you are going to. And it is very slow to change channels period. Very aggravating. Wish there was some way they could correct this.

If you hold down the channel up or down button for a few seconds the PHD-VRX channel numbers will scroll super fast. This is good for one that has 30-50 channels.Possible maybe it goes to fast since one could go threw a 100 channel numbers in a few seconds.

I liked the channel changing speed of the PHD-VRX when compared to other standalone ATSC/QAM tuners and ones built into a TV. I realize the tuner cards for desktop computers are much faster than the PHD-VRX.

The only main feature that is making me keep this PHD-VRX is the exclusive dual RF inputs with four channel maps.
post #453 of 2338 Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

If you hold down the channel up or down button for a few seconds the PHD-VRX channel numbers will scroll super fast. This is good for one that has 30-50 channels.Possible maybe it goes to fast since one could go threw a 100 channel numbers in a few seconds.
I liked the channel changing speed of the PHD-VRX when compared to other standalone ATSC/QAM tuners and ones built into a TV. I realize the tuner cards for desktop computers are much faster than the PHD-VRX.
The only main feature that is making me keep this PHD-VRX is the exclusive dual RF inputs with four channel maps.

I would expect a (sort of) STB to be able to move through channels pretty quick. It doesn't have to present the video, just present it to the TV. TV displays have become much faster also.

When I got my first Sony, it would display a nice message on a blank screen asking me to wait. People complained.

My next Sony would power up with a display and a message to wait. People complained.

My current Sony displays the screen on power up without a message. But should you press a key on the remote, it is ignored or stored for about 20 seconds until all the network stuff gets up, HDMI handshaking is done, and whatever else it needs to do. Nobody complains now.

Who says manufacturers don't listen? [joke]
post #454 of 2338 Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockisdead View Post

Is HDHomerun Dual a better replacement for this disappointed product?

I have a Dvico Tvix andd an HD Homerun. If your computer/laptop can output 1080P, my answer is yes the HD Homerun is a better replacement for all and any OTA DVR. The only advantage DVRs have over the an HD Homerun or any PC-based tuner/recorder is their ability to output 1080P, and only if you have an old computer that can not output 1080P.

The advantages the HD Homerun has over my Dvico Tvix are too many.

1. Cost: I paid $70 for the Homerun. Hooked it up to a $300 low-end laptop with HDMi output. Cost of electricity to use a low-power laptop is much lower also.

2. Convenience: The laptop itself is a monitor. With a DVR you need an external monitor for recording and watching shows. I can take my laptop, HD Homerun, and Mohu Leaf antenna in my backpack anywhere I go and can record and watch shows in hotels and even airports.

3. Power and flexibility: DVRs are just dumb machines that can only do a few things. A computer, on the hand, can do many things. DVRs can not play all movie or audio formats. A computer can. You can not edit recorded shows directly on the DVR. You can on a computer. With a DVR you can only record shows to either an internal drive or an external one depending how the manufacturer designed the machine. With a computer you can set it or record to the internal drive or an external one. With a computer a few minutes of downloading will get you 2 weeks of reliable programming data.

My HD Homerun and laptop have not replaced my TVix yet, but only because it is a low-end laptop that can not output 1080P.
post #455 of 2338 Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 AM

Liked: 12
Setting up an HTPC is going to be more complex than using a set-top-box. But once set up, you probably will have more control over the interface, which ia good. The problem that I see is that I don't want to watch TV using a keyboard; I want to use a remote.
post #456 of 2338 Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

Setting up an HTPC is going to be more complex than using a set-top-box. But once set up, you probably will have more control over the interface, which ia good. The problem that I see is that I don't want to watch TV using a keyboard; I want to use a remote.

From your post, I take that you don't have a HTPC. Until I got the HD Homerun about 3 months ago, I was one of the many clueless people who tremble in fear at the very mention of the term "HTPC", thinking that it was something beyond my budget or technical ability. But fear not, it's neither complicated nor expensive. In my case, the whole setup consists of just a laptop, an HD Homerun tuner, and a Mohu Leaf antenna. And it took about 10 minutes to started recording and watching shows.

If you need a remote control, something like this will work nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=pd_sbs_op_2/190-7139479-9240526
post #457 of 2338 Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 PM

It sounds like you're recording AND watching on the laptop. To replace a set-top-box you need to be able to watch recordings on the tv, using a remote. That's the part that gets tricky. You could copy the files over to a player that's hooked to the tv, like the PHD-VRX, but now you need to buy 2 devices.
post #458 of 2338 Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like you're recording AND watching on the laptop. To replace a set-top-box you need to be able to watch recordings on the tv, using a remote. That's the part that gets tricky. You could copy the files over to a player that's hooked to the tv, like the PHD-VRX, but now you need to buy 2 devices.

That's what the HDMI output on computers is for. My apologies in advance if you don't have a computer with an HDMi output and don't know what I am talking about.
post #459 of 2338 Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

That's what the HDMI output on computers are for. My apologies in advance if you don't have a computer with an HDMi output and don't know what I am talking about.
Forget about the HDMI connection. The issue is the remote. The remote needs to communicate with the PVR software on the laptop.
post #460 of 2338 Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 364
That's why he linked to a USB remote control. It's not nearly as elegant as a DVR, but an HTPC gives the most control available to enthusiasts at the expense of simplicity.
post #461 of 2338 Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

That's why he linked to a USB remote control. It's not nearly as elegant as a DVR, but an HTPC gives the most control available to enthusiasts at the expense of simplicity.

Ok, I missed the 'infrared receiver' part in the picture. I thought it was just the remote. Maybe it's a lot simpler than I envisioned.
post #462 of 2338 Old 07-08-2012, 06:10 AM

A friend of mine contacted ePVision about the status of firmware updates.
He was told that there will be an update in about a week. ePVision also stated there should be a major update within three months.
No details on what will be addressed.
GilesLevy likes this.
post #463 of 2338 Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

A friend of mine contacted ePVision about the status of firmware updates.
He was told that there will be an update in about a week. ePVision also stated there should be a major update within three months.
No details on what will be addressed.

Interesting. I've been thinking about what I'll do if an update appears. Since you can no longer download the current version, you can't revert back to that version if an update creates even more problems. But there's so many issues that need fixing I guess I have to take a chance.
post #464 of 2338 Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Since you can no longer download the current version, you can't revert back to that version.

I'm sure someone has stashed a copy of the current FW.
Can somebody send DB100 the file?
post #465 of 2338 Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

I'm sure someone has stashed a copy of the current FW.
Can somebody send DB100 the file?

It's too big to send as an email attachment. I would wait unit someone finds that the next update is flawed and we can workout some way to FTP it. This makes the assumption that the internal software will permit lower versions to be loaded. That's not always true.

I have all updates for all hardware I own or owned. Call me a packrat. I don't even have a VRX.
post #466 of 2338 Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
And Osama bin Laden had weapons of mass destruction. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Since you can no longer download the current version, you can't revert back to that version if an update creates even more problems.
I guess no one read post 10? I do have those copies. wink.gif
Quote:
This makes the assumption that the internal software will permit lower versions to be loaded.
It does, but apparently the process leaves changes behind that weren't welcome. Namely the elimination of the HDD spin down from no activity when in the 'on' state as posted.

FWIW, if you remember back in January, this was posted;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1262996/epvision-phd-vrx-speculation-thread/90#post_21475015
Quote:
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your email today and this one!
Regarding your questions:
We actually are not just some engineers doing our designs in the oversea location by ourselves. In fact, all our key engineers worked for US design firms, US side TV manufacturers and EPG companies for many years (10 years+ at least). We are really good what we are.
Again, many thanks for your comments and even for today’s email.

Support Team, Allen
ePVision.com

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #467 of 2338 Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

From post #10;
Quote:
Firmware updating;
The 3th firmware release was posted on their site, but was removed as of this edit date. I never tried the first, only the 2nd and 3rd. The current VRX.424.18.10 has removed some features that really shouldn't of been. I have now found that it is apparently allowing the HDD to spin constantly which I don't like. There also might be some other 'quirks' that weren't there before, but I won't know until I revert back. The older version: VRX.242.16.31 was never on their site since it was a requested update that corrected/addressed only seven of the 30+ issues I discussed with them. I do have that version, but have asked them to make older versions available on their site, but that hasn't happened, just as the promised updates every two weeks.

The files in the firmware have changed since the original (that I had experience with).
Original:....................Current;
cramfs.img................cfe.bin
default.img............... default.img
kernel.bmz.................drm.bin
pmon.bin ..................squashfs.img
pmon.bmz..................usbfwu.ini
reboot.bmz................vmlinuz
rootfs.bmz
splash.bmz
vmlinux.kgz
The original size was 16.5MB, the current size is 49.3MB, as substantial difference along with the file structure. I immediately recognized the files "cfe.bin" & "squashfs.img" from the 3rd party wireless software dd-wrt. Anyone want to comment on the file name changes along with the massive size difference? confused.gif
Any Linux members out there that can comment?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #468 of 2338 Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 AM

When you go into the list of recordings to select a recording to view, it's painfully slow to navigate down the list since it's giving you a preview of each recording, and that takes time to load. No other DVR I've used wastes your time like this. If it wasn't spending time loading and displaying the preview, you'd be able to quickly select a recording for viewing. Heck, most of the recordings are named so I know what's there.

If you look at the recordings folder, you see all the .mpg recordings PLUS each .mpg has a .nav file with the same name. It's as if it's creating a copy as you move up and down the list. You can delete these .nav files with no ill effects. I have no idea what they are building these files for.
post #469 of 2338 Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you go into the list of recordings to select a recording to view, it's painfully slow to navigate down the list since it's giving you a preview of each recording, and that takes time to load. No other DVR I've used wastes your time like this. If it wasn't spending time loading and displaying the preview, you'd be able to quickly select a recording for viewing. Heck, most of the recordings are named so I know what's there.
If you look at the recordings folder, you see all the .mpg recordings PLUS each .mpg has a .nav file with the same name. It's as if it's creating a copy as you move up and down the list. You can delete these .nav files with no ill effects. I have no idea what they are building these files for.

You haven't used:
Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575

I have the 2160A and 515H, so I can't testify to the others. Post #1 of that thread has a "Wish List" asking for just a simple list. You have no access to their file systems, like my Sony DHG or Tivo.

A simple list would be a nice option here also.
post #470 of 2338 Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM

I reported the bug about not being able to schedule back-to-back recordings for the same channel. It's become a real pain!

You can schedule recordings for 7-8pm & 8-9pm only if for different channels. If for the same channel, it says "There's an overlap" and won't let you do it.
post #471 of 2338 Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM

I just set back-to-back recordings for the same channel and it let me. But that's because I was in the Guide. When I try to set recordings manually, it doesn't. My PBS channels on cabel have Guide data. No other channels do.
post #472 of 2338 Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 PM

I received an answer. Because of the internal micro-controller timer, you can't make back-to-back recordings for the same channel when setting manually. You have to sacrifice a minute from one of the timers. But you can when using the Guide.

They said it like it made perfect sense.
post #473 of 2338 Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I received an answer. Because of the internal micro-controller timer, you can't make back-to-back recordings for the same channel when setting manually. You have to sacrifice a minute from one of the timers. But you can when using the Guide.
They said it like it made perfect sense.

Yes.. of course it makes perfect sense. The "internal micro-controller timer" can measure and control very small increments of time with the greatest precision. All the way down to to the very small and most tiny precise space of one minute. Got it? rolleyes.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #474 of 2338 Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 364
There must be some kind of auto-padding "feature" that's always enabled when setting manual timers that causes the conflict. All they would need to do is let the user control the padding amount to fix the problem, so maybe a fix for that will be in the "major" update that's coming. rolleyes.gif
post #475 of 2338 Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

There must be some kind of auto-padding "feature" that's always enabled when setting manual timers that causes the conflict. All they would need to do is let the user control the padding amount to fix the problem, so maybe a fix for that will be in the "major" update that's coming. rolleyes.gif
My Bell TV DVR has the same issue, even when using the EPG.

I finally had the chance to play a bit more with the VRX. I must say I really like the product, warts and all. If Epvision can continue to sort out the bugs and improve it, it will be a good product as far as I am concerned.

This is where a forum like this could play huge role in evaluating the product and making improvement suggestions. Allen an co should be great-full about the free testing and feedback they are receiving from contributors like Videobruce, DB100, HDTV1080P24 et al. That is why I was really disappointed in Allen when I read his feedback to Videobruce. Techies will always tinker with products which is part of the evaluation process, especially a new product like this one.

The top of my list of product improvements.

1. An interface to create a recording schedule on a PC
2. Fix the low sound volume on the HDMI interface when playing recordings.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #476 of 2338 Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKat View Post

The top of my list of product improvements.
1. An interface to create a recording schedule on a PC
2. Fix the low sound volume on the HDMI interface when playing recordings.

More than anything this product NEEDS a fully written OWNERS MANUAL. Then maybe we could all stop guessing at the designers intentions and how to actually figure out if and what can be done.mad.gif
post #477 of 2338 Old 07-11-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Post 254 has been updated;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-owners-thread/240#post_22164306

BTW, the DVR was returned and no apparent noise or bad sectors so far. But, the interface card for the enclosure appears to be bad.

post #478 of 2338 Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Liked: 11
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem (I didn't see it), but I started a recording and then went to watch the partially recorded video in the media player before the recording was finished. It worked, but the video stopped at the length it was at when I started watching.

I thought that if I exited the media player and went back I'd see the complete thing (like maybe it was creating a partially finished copy for me to watch), but instead it still stopped at the same point. Checking the file length on the hard drive, it seems clear that the video actually just stopped recording when I started watching the partial video.

Anyone else experience this?
post #479 of 2338 Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb988 View Post

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem (I didn't see it), but I started a recording and then went to watch the partially recorded video in the media player before the recording was finished. It worked, but the video stopped at the length it was at when I started watching.
I thought that if I exited the media player and went back I'd see the complete thing (like maybe it was creating a partially finished copy for me to watch), but instead it still stopped at the same point. Checking the file length on the hard drive, it seems clear that the video actually just stopped recording when I started watching the partial video.
Anyone else experience this?
I tested it and the recording continued as I watched it. The hdd light kept flickering and if I stopped viewing and then started again, the file size was larger. Try switching tuners and then view an active recording from the other tuner.
post #480 of 2338 Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I tested it and the recording continued as I watched it. The hdd light kept flickering and if I stopped viewing and then started again, the file size was larger. Try switching tuners and then view an active recording from the other tuner.

cool thanks. maybe it was just a weird glitch or I screwed something up.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page