ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #481 of 2316 Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually I've been having the same problem (see my post #440) but the recording stops as soon as I enter media player. In my case it only happens while I'm recording on tuner 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 2316 Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Liked: 12
I was on tuner 2 when I tested. I'll try tuner 1 in a little bit.
post #483 of 2316 Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM

I hooked up tuner 1 and started a recording. I viewed another recording from both tuner 1 and tuner 2 and everything seemed to work ok.
post #484 of 2316 Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Liked: 28
I wrote ePVision a nice note asking them to please give us a manual and also inquiring about the noticeable sound level drop. Here is their response. I hope this means we can know how they wanted us to go about using the VRX.

"Thank you for your email. User manual is on the way. We should post to our web site this week or early next week. Sorry for the delay. As far as audio, it should be good enough from HDMI output. We have been using several different TVs tested here. The audio volume is acceptable. For an example, using Sony LED TV, TV volume is 20 and our PHD-VRX volume is 50 and it sounds pretty loud already. Can you kindly let us know what model of your TV? In the meantime, I will let our engineers know about this. Thanks again!

Sales Team

ePVision.com"

If anyone has not yet written ePVision it will help to write them so they know about our concerns en masse. Thanks.wink.gif
post #485 of 2316 Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I hooked up tuner 1 and started a recording. I viewed another recording from both tuner 1 and tuner 2 and everything seemed to work ok.

I thought PB988 indicated that he attempted to view the same recording that was still in progress.. to go back and view it from the beginning. Like "Chase Play" or whatever some other DVR's call it.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #486 of 2316 Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

I wrote ePVision a nice note asking them to please give us a manual and also inquiring about the noticeable sound level drop. Here is their response. I hope this means we can know how they wanted us to go about using the VRX.
"Thank you for your email. User manual is on the way. We should post to our web site this week or early next week. Sorry for the delay. As far as audio, it should be good enough from HDMI output. We have been using several different TVs tested here. The audio volume is acceptable. For an example, using Sony LED TV, TV volume is 20 and our PHD-VRX volume is 50 and it sounds pretty loud already. Can you kindly let us know what model of your TV? In the meantime, I will let our engineers know about this. Thanks again!

Sales Team
ePVision.com"

If anyone has not yet written ePVision it will help to write them so they know about our concerns en masse. Thanks.wink.gif

They don't need the make of the TV, they just have to measure the difference in volume between a live broadcast and that same broadcast after it has been recorded.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #487 of 2316 Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I thought PB988 indicated that he attempted to view the same recording that was still in progress.. to go back and view it from the beginning. Like "Chase Play" or whatever some other DVR's call it.

I worded my reply wrong. I viewed the recording in progress, and recording didn't stop. The other person with this issue said just going into the media player stopped the recording. So you have to wonder if there are two separate issues here.
post #488 of 2316 Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
using Sony LED TV, TV volume is 20 and our PHD-VRX volume is 50 and it sounds pretty loud already.
Nows there a engineering test if I ever saw one. Not sure what's worse, the "LED TV" part, the "sounds pretty loud" or the 20 then 50 part.
Quote:
they just have to measure the difference in volume between a live broadcast and that same broadcast after it has been recorded.
That would have to assume they have something to measure it by.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #489 of 2316 Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

That would have to assume they have something to measure it by.
Easy, turn the TV volume up so that a recorded video can be comfortably heard, switch back to live mode and wait........... if some reaction is heard from elsewhere in the house, there is a difference i.e also known as the "wife'o'sound volume detector". The volume difference will be inversely proportional to the time it takes to get the ""turn that down!" (and directly proportional to the urgency in the tone of voice used) wink.gif

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #490 of 2316 Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM

It has already been reported that Media Player has no 'Resume'. If you stop viewing a recording, you need to note where you are so when you resume viewing you can work your way back to where you left off.

BUT IT GETS WORSE!

Say a recording starts and has been running for 20 minutes, and then you go into Media Player to view this active recording from the beginning, and you've been viewing for 5 minutes, and you hit Info or Pause. The display will show that you are 5 minutes into a 20 minute recording. That 20 figure never gets updated in real time, even tho the recording continues! Once you view for 20 minutes, Info will now show nothing for a 20 minute recording. You can watch the whole recording, but if you halt anytime after 20 minutes, you have no way of knowing where you were when you stopped.
post #491 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It has already been reported that Media Player has no 'Resume'. If you stop viewing a recording, you need to note where you are so when you resume viewing you can work your way back to where you left off.
BUT IT GETS WORSE!
Almost 500 posts and you are the first (that I noticed) that has brought this up other than myself.
I don't know how it could get worse than that. Has to be the worst omission out of all the 37 in my list (that still has room for more). I guess they expect everyone to watch everything straight through.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #492 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Jury is back and the verdict is in:

1. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that 2.5" HDD that I mounted inside the DVR. It makes no unusual noise, either at startup or shutdown, nor does it have any vibration. Even when I placed my ear right up against it.
2. I ran four different surface test programs, all returned no errors. (though one crashed after completing around 75% of the scan due to a serious issue with drives over 500GB that I wasn't aware of).
3. I finally used EaseUS to "wipe" the drive (process took around eight hours).

I inspected the chassis bottom and the HDD enclosure to see if it was removed and it didn't appear to be. I also inspected the HDD itself and that didn't appear to have been removed. Any testing had to of been done in the case as is. Checking the HDD enclosure, I tried to lift it away from the bottom of the case, but found it was very secure. I wasn't going to try to force it.
I removed the drive and connected it to my tower directly (SATA) and to my surprise it was shown in Windows, in spite that it was reported (in all those programs I ran) to still be formatted to ext2. I did purposely leave two recordings on the drive.
Further more, it not just was able to be seen, the files themselves (recordings) were listed in Explorer. Not to be outdone by all of that, those files were playable (sort of). They started using Media Player Classic, but broke up and eventual crashed the O/S. I assume this due to a corrected file system on the drive that was repeatedly re-formatting from the lack of proper documentation on the exact procedure of using the internal utility.
This apparent corrupted formating didn't seem to be a problem in the DVR itself.

If you recall this statement in his 'pass the blame' e-mail that still never addressed the fact my other drive didn't format either;
Quote:
First, we heard all kind of noise coming from your HDD. By further examining your HDD, we found you carelessly put some tapes stick HDD to bottom of PHD-VRX case. However, the tape doesn't cover 100% the area of USB HDD enclosure bottom, and the tape doesn’t firmly secure USB HDD enclosure to PHD-VRX bottom case.
Since the enclosure was never removed as far as I can tell by them, how was it determined how it was secured? It didn't have to be removed, I already supplied them with a pics of how I mounted it months ago, with a comment by Allen complimenting me on the install. If it didn't "firmly secure" the enclosure, why can't I easily remove it from the case bottom?
I'm doing dual recordings of over two hours to see if it is a thermal issue, but after running these programs for between 2 1/2 and eight hours, never hearing any noise, I doubt anything will be different.
when I installed them. wink.gif

Here are pics of the packaging I used. See post #4 for the mounting;

360 322

post #493 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Bruce,

Maybe the noises they heard were the bubble wrap bursting due to the heat of the hardd rive operation while recording????biggrin.gif

Boyd
post #494 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Then they are worse than I thought considering I had a sheet of paper with HUGE text warning about the internal packing.
Of course, it might of just been the "engineers" putting up some more drywall. wink.gif

BTW, after three hours of dual tuner recording, there still was no noise.

I disappoint.

post #495 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:02 PM

I just got the PHD-VRX and I am finding something very baffling. If I try to record a tv show that is not over antenna, then I can not schedule it.
I get most of my tv channels from cable. Then there are the ones that come in from antenna via the cable. When I go to schedule a recording, the list of channels are only the ones like "4-1" or 50-2". There are no single digit channels like "2" or "17".

Anyone find a way to do it?
post #496 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdot View Post

I just got the PHD-VRX and I am finding something very baffling. If I try to record a tv show that is not over antenna, then I can not schedule it.
I get most of my tv channels from cable. Then there are the ones that come in from antenna via the cable. When I go to schedule a recording, the list of channels are only the ones like "4-1" or 50-2". There are no single digit channels like "2" or "17".
Anyone find a way to do it?

Whole number channels are either vsb/NTSC/analog, or channels mapped via PSIP, or channels mapped via cable card. Lets keep it simple. Are the channels on your TV all the same as the VRX?

Add your location to your profile and what are some sample call letters of these stations? Which cable company?

There are earlier posts on manual recording also. It can be tricky.
post #497 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Thread Ender

I don't own one of these superb devices, so I can only repeat what I think I remember reading earlier in the thread . . .

I believe there are two SEPERATE guides, one for each tuner. So if you want to record something from Cable you will need to schedule it from the guide that is somehow "attached" to the tuner that your cable feed is connected to. Make sense? No, it doesn't make sense to me either . . .rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #498 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Whole number channels are either vsb/NTSC/analog, or channels mapped via PSIP, or channels mapped via cable card. Lets keep it simple. Are the channels on your TV all the same as the VRX?
Add your location to your profile and what are some sample call letters of these stations? Which cable company?
There are earlier posts on manual recording also. It can be tricky.

The channels would be NTSC since it's just basic cable.
I am in Cary, NC. I have Time Warner.

The only channels that show up in the schedule recording section are the ones that it can grab from over the air. I can see the NTSC channels fine, I just can't record them via the schedule section of recording.
post #499 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Thread Ender

NTSC channels won't show up in the Guide at all, ever. They don't have the PSIP data from which the Guide is derived.

They consider

post #500 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The channels would be NTSC since it's just basic cable.
I am in Cary, NC. I have Time Warner.
The only channels that show up in the schedule recording section are the ones that it can grab from over the air. I can see the NTSC channels fine, I just can't record them via the schedule section of recording.

Specs say you can only record DTV.

Record and Playback
Digital Channel Recording & Play: Yes
Simultaneous Record and Other Channel View: Yes
Simultaneous Record and Other Channel Timeshift: Yes Scheduled Recording: Yes (DTV Channels)

You should read the first few posts for some great data from videobruce.
post #501 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:31 PM

ugh... that makes this thing useless for me.
pretty stupid that you can pick up the channel and record the channel with "record now" but can't schedule it.
post #502 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

pretty stupid that you can pick up the channel and record the channel with "record now" but can't schedule it.

Are you following these instructions to the "T"?

Manual Recording:
You can fully control how to schedule your
recording by selecting this option from the
main menu. Press MENU remote button to
bring up main menu, then select Record →
Schedule Recordings → Manual Schedule.
Once selected, the Record Schedule Timer
screen will pop out. In this point, majority
options are open for user to adjust.
post #503 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Are you following these instructions to the "T"?
Manual Recording:
You can fully control how to schedule your
recording by selecting this option from the
main menu. Press MENU remote button to
bring up main menu, then select Record →
Schedule Recordings → Manual Schedule.
Once selected, the Record Schedule Timer
screen will pop out. In this point, majority
options are open for user to adjust.

Unfortunately someone just pointed out that it doesn't work except for digital channels.
post #504 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If all you want to record is analog, there are many used recorders on eBay. I like the Toshiba RX-50. You could look at the Magnavox MDR515H also. It does all three transmission types but no guide. Also, there is the Sony DHG-HDD250 if you get TVGOS data. With TWC it's a risk. They (TWC) are SDV pioneers which may not work out for you. Good luck.
post #505 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately someone just pointed out that it doesn't work except for digital channels.

Yes, Joe is correct.
I forgot the inability to record NTSC.
Does it tune the NTSC channels well?
post #506 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Wait a minute..... Are you saying you CAN record NTSC with the record now function? I thought it couldn't record that format at all.eek.gif
post #507 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know you have been dumped on by us kids trying to help, but it seems odd that your analog channels are not also sent in digital format by TWC. They may have odd numbers. Have you looked? Any call letters?
post #508 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Wait a minute..... Are you saying you CAN record NTSC with the record now function? I thought it couldn't record that format at all.eek.gif

my bad. I just found I can't do that either. I had tested it earlier but noticed the test was a digital channel.
ugh... this sucks.
I guess I'll have to hook the VCR back up.
post #509 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Jury is back and the verdict is in:
O.K. Bruce. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what was the formatting issue in the VRX?
Does it work now? Why didn't it work with the 3.5" drive?
Did you deem the 2.5" external drive case faulty?
videobruce likes this.
post #510 of 2316 Old 07-14-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my bad. I just found I can't do that either. I had tested it earlier but noticed the test was a digital channel.
ugh... this sucks.
I guess I'll have to hook the VCR back up.

I can see from your lineup
http://www.timewarnercable.com/includes/clu/CLU_1302.pdf
that 2-24 and 98 are your analog. 100 through 183 could be digital, but what does the VRX find? Back to the TV: do you need a box or can it find clear QAM channels? Your locals should be in the clear. VCR doesn't have a guide though.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page