Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 2314 Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
smile.gif Yes I already mentioned the system information bug that always shows 1080P output even when 720P is really being outputted. Also the PHD-VRX appears to convert everything to 60Hz even native 24hz material feed from a Blu-ray player. See post 424 for more details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2314 Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
for the skin/font-color/background-color, a nice workaround is to type "Control/a" .
that will "select" all the text on the page and make it change color so you can see it.

I appreciate all the anachronistic dudes like me who prefer white text on black background, and remember when "normal video" and "reverse video" swapped meanings,
but the evident fact is that if you prefer the old-school monochrome color scheme like me, then you are going to have to write your own browser software to deal with it, or accept that many web pages will look "blank" when you load them, in today's wonderful world of color & markup-languages and 14 levels of defaults & overrides for each rendered pixel.
post #543 of 2314 Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
but I have seen the sqeeze to a 4:3 ratio on playing a 16:9 .mpg file
That's the problem as stated. 4x3 is displayed as 4x3. But, 16x9 is also displayed as 4x3.
AFAIC, they can dump U-Boob, that's better viewed on a PC. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #544 of 2314 Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 12
I can't count all the timers this device has missed - two tonight alone. I have no faith in this device at all. You can schedule a timer from the Guide or manually, doesn't matter. Odds are it will miss it.
post #545 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I've noticed I have lost many test recordings, but never paid attention to exactly why since there are so many other issues that come before this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #546 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I've noticed I have lost many test recordings, but never paid attention to exactly why since there are so many other issues that come before this.

Really?? The whole reason I bought the device was to do recordings. If it can't do that reliably then nothing else matters.
post #547 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just noticed I have lost test recordings, probably due to the number that were scheduled. Maybe from partial overlap where no initial error message was given.

post #548 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM

After using this device for a while now, the most important problems to me are:

1. Scheduled recordings do not occur. I restart the device, constantly schedule, delete, reschedule programs to be recorded, all in the hope of getting this DVR to work, but it doesn't. I can understand missed recordings if you are on antenna and have a weak signal, but I'm on cable.

2. Can't schedule programs because the device sees "overlap" issues where none exist. A typical scenario is where I have 2 Daily type recordings scheduled and I try to schedule a new recording, but it won't let me because there is an overlap with one of the Dailys. If I delete the offending Daily, it continues to prevent a new scheduled recording. If I delete the 2nd Daily, then it will let me schedule a new recording, even tho there is no overlap with the 2nd Daily. It looks like if one Daily overlaps, then you must delete ALL Dailys to actually clear the problem.

3. Low audio. I've gotten around this by using my stereo for audio. If you don't have an external way to amplify the audio, you will be disappointed.

4. There is no "Resume" option to return to where you left off, when viewing a recording.

5. There is no "Weekly" option when scheduling a recording.

I agree with all the other interface issues already mentioned , but the above are critical for me. Since the top two aren't on any of the "issues lists" I've seen, I'll submit them to ePVision myself.
post #549 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

1. Scheduled recordings do not occur. I restart the device, constantly schedule, delete, reschedule programs to be recorded, all in the hope of getting this DVR to work, but it doesn't. I can understand missed recordings if you are on antenna and have a weak signal, but I'm on cable.
2. Can't schedule programs because the device sees "overlap" issues where none exist. A typical scenario is where I have 2 Daily type recordings scheduled and I try to schedule a new recording, but it won't let me because there is an overlap with one of the Dailys. If I delete the offending Daily, it continues to prevent a new scheduled recording. If I delete the 2nd Daily, then it will let me schedule a new recording, even tho there is no overlap with the 2nd Daily. It looks like if one Daily overlaps, then you must delete ALL Dailys to actually clear the problem.
3. Low audio. I've gotten around this by using my stereo for audio. If you don't have an external way to amplify the audio, you will be disappointed.
4. There is no "Resume" option to return to where you left off, when viewing a recording.
I agree with all the other interface issues already mentioned , but the above are critical for me. Since the top two aren't on any of the "issues lists" I've seen, I'll submit them to ePVision myself.

I agree with this list, but I would also add the fact that the HDMI only outputs a stereo signal. Fix that and the above, and I could use this thing.
post #550 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb988 View Post

I agree with this list, but I would also add the fact that the HDMI only outputs a stereo signal. Fix that and the above, and I could use this thing.

Quote:

How about both of you also include a note to ePVision demanding they give us a written manual too! I think that should be the first thing done. Then everyone can have a good starting point as to how this machine was planned and produced. There may even be doable workarounds for some of the problems if we have the manner that this was programed. Without a manual there is no way to figure out how things were originally intended to function. Someone knows exactly how this machine was designed.
Tom eek.gif
post #551 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

Someone knows exactly how this machine was designed.
Tom eek.gif

Tom, that's a great leap of faith.
post #552 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

How about both of you also include a note to ePVision demanding they give us a written manual too! I think that should be the first thing done. Then everyone can have a good starting point as to how this machine was planned and produced. There may even be doable workarounds for some of the problems if we have the manner that this was programed. Without a manual there is no way to figure out how things were originally intended to function. Someone knows exactly how this machine was designed.
Tom eek.gif

A manual is a priority for some... but not me. I can figure out most of this machine without a manual. And between everyone on this board, I think we could even crowd source our own manual if we needed to. I think many would happily contribute to that project if the rest was working. But it's actually just broken and we can't fix the firmware. I'd much rather epvision spent their time making this thing work. They might even get more sales ("it's a great machine, but it has no instruction manual" vs "it has a great instruction manual, but it constantly fails to record scheduled programs")
post #553 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb988 View Post

A manual is a priority for some... but not me. I can figure out most of this machine without a manual. And between everyone on this board, I think we could even crowd source our own manual if we needed to. I think many would happily contribute to that project if the rest was working. But it's actually just broken and we can't fix the firmware. I'd much rather epvision spent their time making this thing work. They might even get more sales ("it's a great machine, but it has no instruction manual" vs "it has a great instruction manual, but it constantly fails to record scheduled programs")
I must back you up. It's not a documentation or design problem. Engineering needs to work with the programmers, read this thread, and fix this thing. If they can.
post #554 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM

A manual isn't my priority either. At this point I know how to use it. I just need it to work.
post #555 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

The whole reason I bought the device was to do recordings. If it can't do that reliably then nothing else matters.

I also wonder why the lack of a manual gets so much attention over other, ostensibly more important, considerations. What exactly do people want it to say? If it was structured like most manuals with pages for explanations on how to configure the video and audio settings, how to resume files, and how to schedule recordings, half of the pages would just say, "You can't," or "This option doesn't work."

Unless the idea is to try to publicly shame ePVision into fixing the VRX by forcing them to compile and publish a massive list of this product's failings, having a manual would be a complete waste of time for a product that can't accomplish much in the first place. Manuals are only useful for products that have features. frown.gif
post #556 of 2314 Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I also wonder why the lack of a manual gets so much attention over other, ostensibly more important, considerations. What exactly do people want it to say? If it was structured like most manuals with pages for explanations on how to configure the video and audio settings, how to resume files, and how to schedule recordings, half of the pages would just say, "You can't," or "This option doesn't work."
Unless the idea is to try to publicly shame ePVision into fixing the VRX by forcing them to compile and publish a massive list of this product's failings, having a manual would be a complete waste of time for a product that can't accomplish much in the first place. Manuals are only useful for products that have features. frown.gif

I will tell you why I think a manual is a necessity. It will tell you how they thought this machine was going to work. It should give us an idea how the designer expected things to work. Then it may be possible to correct or workaround some of the deficiencies. With the collective software and electronic knowledge of this forum I would expect someone will be able figure out if it is even possible to solve the problems. Without knowing how the original designer planned to accomplish the various tasks it is just a pure guess of where the problem exists and what if anything might be possible. It also stands to reason that by having a bit of information about the design we could prevent causing further problems trying to correct old problems. I would personally like to see if they even have or had a plan to accomplish the things promised. That's my 2 cents. rolleyes.gif
post #557 of 2314 Old 07-24-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Without a manual there is no way to figure out how things were originally intended to function.
Just think how it would be if you volunteered to test this with no manual. c:eek:
Quote:
I also wonder why the lack of a manual gets so much attention over other, ostensibly more important, considerations.
That was answered in the above quote. Who do they think they are TWC?? tongue.gif

post #558 of 2314 Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM

Liked: 10
I've read through this thread and followed the tips for setting up my external hard (Western Digital My Passport 500GB USB 3.0 + 2.0). I used the EASEUS program suggested and formatted for EXT2. When I run the speed test it shows 25mb. I'm setup with OTA and the signal is strong for the channel that I am recording. I can record without any issues.

It's the playback that has been a problem. It just skips and jumps forward every few seconds during playback on the phd-vrx. Has anyone else experienced this? or have any tips? I've reformatted several times for EXT2. I'm only trying to record the channel I'm currently watching. The quality looks good on the recording itself other then the jumping forward. I'm getting frustrated that I can't playback any recordings. It kind of defeats why I bought the unit. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Jon
post #559 of 2314 Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There are external programs that will speed test a drive in an external enclosure. I believe I used "Disc Checker" from RS Software Lab to confirm speed of the drive through the USB interface.
WD has their own utility, but I don't know if it does speed tests.

How is the drive being powered? Through the USB interface or externally?

post #560 of 2314 Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 PM

I experienced the symptoms of skipping ahead like you describe, but it only occurred in recordings from one particular channel, so I never mentioned it.

My timers have been firing pretty consistently now since I stopped using repeats (Daily, Mon-Fri). Everything gets set as 'Once'.
post #561 of 2314 Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

How is the drive being powered? Through the USB interface or externally?

The WD My Passport drives are USB powered. They don't come with the USB 2 to 1 cable for extra power. I bought the same drive only in the 1TB size that I was going to use with the PHD-VRX had I bought one.
post #562 of 2314 Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:

I experienced the symptoms of skipping ahead like you describe, but it only occurred in recordings from one particular channel, so I never mentioned it.
My timers have been firing pretty consistently now since I stopped using repeats (Daily, Mon-Fri). Everything gets set as 'Once'.

Yes, it's powered by a short single USB cable. I've tried both A and B ports on the unit.

Interesting. I had not tried to record any other channels. I really want to record this one channel mainly. I tried recording a couple other channels and it works great. Why would that be? I thought at first maybe it's because of the HD quality vs a lower quality but I just tried other channels that are the same 720 HD quality. It looks like it's something specific to that channel. Can the OTA broadcast have something in it to cause this and prevent recording?
post #563 of 2314 Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsb View Post

Yes, it's powered by a short single USB cable. I've tried both A and B ports on the unit.
Interesting. I had not tried to record any other channels. I really want to record this one channel mainly. I tried recording a couple other channels and it works great. Why would that be? I thought at first maybe it's because of the HD quality vs a lower quality but I just tried other channels that are the same 720 HD quality. It looks like it's something specific to that channel. Can the OTA broadcast have something in it to cause this and prevent recording?

In my case it was a weaker channel. Do the channels that work for you have stronger reception?
post #564 of 2314 Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Have the PHD-VRX re-format the hard drive to see if that clears up any issues (Warning this will erase the hard drive). You also might want to try another hard drive to make sure there is not an incompatibility issue. The 2TB hard drive I used in my review with a USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure was giving me a transfer rate of around 150MB/s when connected to the USB 3.0 port on my PC. When connected to the PHD-VRX USB1 and USB2 port using the ext2 file system, I am getting a transfer speed of 26MB/s. I am able to record two 1080i HD channels with 5.1 Dolby Digital while watching a previously recorded 1080i 5.1 Dolby Digital program at the same time with no digital artifact or skip forward issues (Of course the PHD-VRX has all kinds of bugs that I and many other people have listed that hopefully will be fixed in a future firmware update).

Even weak channels have been recorded just fine (of course extremely weak channels will have digital artifacts but that is not a problem with the PHD-VRX but a signal quality issue).
post #565 of 2314 Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Have the PHD-VRX re-format the hard drive to see if that clears up any issues
Absolutely not!
First off, he has already re-formatted the drive more than once, Second, I know you were successful, but why take a chance with their lame utility (that doesn't tell you anything) messing things up?

jbsb;
1. Where are you? What market?
2. What station, how far away is their xmitter?
3. Does this happen every time you record from this station? How about other stations?
4. Do you have CableTV?
5. Was this 'package' (apparently, one of these misnamed "external hard drives" that are really an external enclosure with a internal HDD) already formatted to NTFS?
6. Did you try any speed test from your PC?

post #566 of 2314 Old 07-28-2012, 08:42 AM
kwg

post #567 of 2314 Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 AM
kwg

There are 2 similar files online:

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX_Recording_Features_Guide.pdf
PHD-VRX_Recording_Features_Guide.pdf

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/How%20to%20use%20PHD-VRX%20Recording%20Features.pdf
How to use PHD-VRX Recording Features.pdf
post #568 of 2314 Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Where did you get that firmware, it's not on their site, only that dead link to the old firmware?

Of those two "Recording Features Guide" links, the first link is a 'grammar' corrected version of the 2nd (older) guide.

post #569 of 2314 Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Other than the revision number change and the size of the "squashfs.img" file being 12KB larger, I haven't found any substantial changes so far.

But:
Changing channels in the Guide has a apparent new 'quirk';
When you move back (up) in the Guide channel list, the change doesn't register in the preview window and the data remains from the last channel. This appears to only happen when moving up (numerical ascending order), not down.
It still misses recordings that are back to back on different channels. It appears recordings on the same channel are Ok.

post #570 of 2314 Old 07-28-2012, 05:34 PM

Just tried the new firmware (thanks for posting it kwg).
It didn't fix my problem (recording on tuner 1 stops when I go in "Media Player"),
but they now have weekly recording (scheduling a recording for once per week) so that's an improvement!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page