post #571 of 2361 Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Absolutely not!
First off, he has already re-formatted the drive more than once, Second, I know you were successful, but why take a chance with their lame utility (that doesn't tell you anything) messing things up?
1. Where are you? What market?
2. What station, how far away is their xmitter?
3. Does this happen every time you record from this station? How about other stations?
4. Do you have CableTV?
5. Was this 'package' (apparently, one of these misnamed "external hard drives" that are really an external enclosure with a internal HDD) already formatted to NTFS?
6. Did you try any speed test from your PC?

Videobruce:

1. Where are you? What market?
Santa Barbara, CA

2. What station, how far away is their xmitter?
KEYT-DT (Digital)
Channel: 27 (3.1)
Network: ABC
15.6 miles away.
Signal strength shows 4 out of 5 bars and is green when I turn to the channel on the phd-vrx.

3. Does this happen every time you record from this station? How about other stations?
Only seems to happen on this one channel. I have a second antenna on tuner two that gets the same channel but is weaker signal and it has the exact same issue.
No, I've tried a bunch of other channels and it only seems to happen on this one. The other recordings do not skip around or have digital artifacts unless it is a really weak screen and then I see that on the screen as I'm watching it as well. In the case of this channel the signal is strong and picture is perfect as I watch it recording but when played back it just keeps skipping forward several seconds at a time.

4. Do you have CableTV?
no, OTA only

5. Was this 'package' (apparently, one of these misnamed "external hard drives" that are really an external enclosure with a internal HDD) already formatted to NTFS?
I bought the hard drive brand new, it's a Western Digital My Passport. I don't know if it was first formatted as NTFS as I took it out of the package, attached it, deleted the partition(don't remember what it was) and followed the directions in this thread to format to EXT2.

No, how should I do this? judging that the other channels are ok, I think the speed is fine. USB test on the system is now saying 23MB. The drive is not recognized when I attach it to the PC because it is EXT2. I have Windows 7 laptop.

Thanks
-Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 2361 Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I updated posts 7 & 8 regarding the manual "Find channels" procedure & the false contouring problem.

I also updated my previous post with the apparent new "bug" (to add to the list). One removed, one added. One fix in exchange for one new bug.

GilesLevy;
I can't duplicate the problem. Can you give me specifics?
One tuner or two recording? You dont' accidentally place it in standby or enter the Guide and change channels before you try to playback a recording?
Since there is no 'short cut' via a single button to enter the Media Player (that I know of), is there anything else you are doing to enter MP?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #573 of 2361 Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Signal strength shows 4 out of 5 bars and is green
That should be more than enough assuming you don't have some 'interference' issue with signal fading at various times (which may be hard to find unless you are there when they happen).
Quote:
it's a Western Digital My Passport. I don't know if it was first formatted as NTFS as I took it out of the package, attached it, deleted the partition(don't remember what it was) and followed the directions in this thread to format to EXT2.
From what I have been told, those "pre-packaged" drives in external enclosures are pre-formatted to NTFS.
Quote:
No, how should I do this? judging that the other channels are ok, I think the speed is fine. USB test on the system is now saying 23MB.
No, I wouldn't bother as it appears to be some strange issue with that station and this DVR.
The result of the speed tests the 1st time is always the lowest. Additional runs will show a higher number, sometimes by 2 to 3 %.

7. You have both tuners connected?
8. Have you tried recording the same station from the other tuner? How about dual recordings, one on each tuner of that station (assuming it would be allowed)? See if the glitches are at the exact same position.
9. Do you get good guide data from that station and how far out does it go (hours or days)?
10. How about time of day? prime time vs daytime? Any difference?

Go to your local reception thread and ask if anyone else has had, or is having problems with that station in your market.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #574 of 2361 Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:

GilesLevy;
I can't duplicate the problem. Can you give me specifics?
One tuner or two recording? You dont' accidentally place it in standby or enter the Guide and change channels before you try to playback a recording?
Since there is no 'short cut' via a single button to enter the Media Player (that I know of), is there anything else you are doing to enter MP?

It only happens with tuner 1 and it happens when I'm recording on tuner 1 and when recording on both tuners (but not tuner 2 only). I enter Media Player through the menu and I don't change channels (or enter standby) - I'm certain of this because I go in and out of Media Player and the recording for that program continues but with gaps for each entry into MP.
post #575 of 2361 Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

While in MP, the display on the DVR still shows rec1 all the time, or does it show play?

post #576 of 2361 Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 AM

It will show "rec-1" the entire time (or "rec1-2" the entire time if I'm recording with both tuners).
post #577 of 2361 Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

With the release of the latest firmware, two issues (so far) have been resolved, but two new issues have replaced them. I need confirmation on the two "bad" entries;

Good:
1. Weekly recording has been added to the "Options" for recording.
2. When you are recording, in or out of the Guide, changing channels will not stop recording. If you accidentally hit standby, it will still stop all recordings. When you scroll through the channels in the Guide, the number changes, but the data and view will stay on the channel that is recording.

Bad;

1. Scrolling up (back) channels in the Guide sometimes will not either change the view or update the Guide data to the new station. Only in one direction (up or a lower channel number). Moving down (higher number) there is no issue. One has to reverse direction past where the station where the data 'hung' to the next, wait for the update, then reverse back to where you wanted to go.
2. If you go into standby then power back up right away (without waiting 30 or more seconds) the boot process will hang, Re-booting, even after waiting 30 seconds will produce a normal operation, but "boot" may remain on the DVR's display even though the DVR appears to operate normally.

Hopefully, the above makes sense. Apparently, fixing the stopping of recording while scrolling in the Guide is what caused the 1st problem.

post #578 of 2361 Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Updated "laundry list" of problems. I have grouped similar items together. Actually, there are now 53 issues.
Thanks to HDTV1080p for the additional "audio" related issues. This does not include the new issues mentioned above.

In order of importance (which leaves this open for disagreement, but will welcome comment):

1a. The Guide needs to include both tuners integrated together as one Guide no matter which input you are in. It's a real problem and inconvenience to have to switch back and forth between tuners to try to schedule programming. Especially if you have overlapping recordings. Also, more than one channels programming needs to be available. This is another real problem. You schedule one program only to find something better on another channel at the same time. If you forget what channel that was, you have to go back and find it, one channel at a time. PSIP Guide data is unreliable, spotty and inconsistent if it is there at all. It was intended to have a paid subscription Guide available two years ago. Other than the lack of a manual, this is problem #1.
1b. The Guide really needs a subscription, Internet based full program data. I know this is well known to them, but I had to have this in the list. PSIP data is mostly worthless. What good are three to six hours of listings? Anything less than one full week shouldn't be acceptable in this day and age.

2. No ability to remember where playback was stopped. No 'Mark' function. You stop or exit playback mode either accidentally or on purpose, you loose where you were. One hour into a two hour movie, you have to leave, as soon as you press stop,when it comes time to pick up where you left off, guess what? You have to remember were you were and hit the 20 second skip xx number of times or use the fast forward to return to where you left off.

3a. Add one button access to Media Player Recordings on the remote and in the Quick Menu.
3b. Remove that pop-up open Media Player box when returning from standby. No need for it if that above was available.
3c. Pressing 'Exit' while in Media Player will completely exit you out of MP while watching a recording. Some confirmation is needed to prevent this.

4. A timer recording from standby looses the 1st 45 seconds of the program due to the boot time if the recorder was in standby. Booting from standby should start one minute early so the recorder is up and running.

5. The 20 second skip forward and back needs an option to adjust the amount of time (there wasn't any until I insisted on this), 20 seconds is not enough. Give the ability to set times in each direction. 15, 30, 60 & 120 seconds would suffice with 15 seconds back and 60 seconds forward as defaults. What is really needed is adjustable skip times from 15 seconds to five minutes. Even though, if you hold the Skip Fwd or Rev down, it will FF scan until you release it, a fixed amount would make s things easier.

6a. Optical audio level is apparently very low.
6b. Audio controls have no effect on analog or optical outputs. Only HDMI is affected.
6c. HDMI apparently passes only two channel stereo audio.
6d. There is no audio at all when the timeshifting mode is activated. There is audio on the HDMI output.

7a. A Full manual recording option, no matter if there is Guide data or not that is directly accessible from the Record button without going into any menu or Guide. There are too many times where one needs to modify the start and/or stop times either way. As this stands, other than diving into the main menu a number of layers deep, when in the Guide, there is no full manual recording available if there is Guide data of any kind on that channel.
7b. Allow adjustments plus and minus for the start and stop times. Not just one or the other. Programs do start early and end early.
7c. When there is a conflict with overlapping recordings, there is nothing telling you where the conflict is. It's almost impossible to find this if it is a weekly recording.
7d. Remove that “Active” check box in the recording options. One less thing to click through. That is already available in "Upcoming Recordings" if needed.
7e. There is no option to delete a scheduled recording while in the Guide. You have to exit, then wade through the main menu to "Upcoming Recordings" to do this.
7f. Remove the unnecessary Sat. & Sun. entry. I can't see any purpose for this.

8a. Speed play is useless as it stands due to inter-reaction with the apparent audio sampling when using AC3. Using PCM, the problem is not there. This just happens during FF, Rew is Ok. [/B]The sample rate is terrible making the feature worthless. You can't see enough frames to make any sense out of the video.
8b. If a recorded program is paused during playback, the video freezes but the audio continues playing for an additional 5 seconds. This happens when AC3 is in use. When the video stream is resumed by hitting play, there is no audio until the video "catches up" to the point where the audio originally paused (another 5 seconds). The HDMI output behaves normally.

9. The output of this DVR been confirmed to be very dark with high contrast. You have to set the brightness to around 15 and the contrast around 80. It's way too dark at the default settings. These settings do not apply to Media Player, you have to readjust them each and every time you use MP since they don't 'stick'. The settings should be universal to both functions.

10. There is no clock backup if there is a power outage. User intervention is needed to power up so the DVR can get a clock update.

11. No 1080i for older HDTV's w/o a 1080p input. 480p was removed with the latest firmware. Some TV's have limited aspect options in various resolutions. Sometimes the 480 choice works out better. This should be restored.

12. GoTo & Guide buttons on the remote need to be swapped. GoTo needs to be renamed to Return as it is on most other devices. GoTo means something entirely different than what it does here and is confusing. The button for GoTo is larger and should be for the Guide. Apparently ePVision realizes this as they pack a separate slip in the box stating the use of the GoTo button.

13a. An attached external enclosed hard drive does not spin down anymore when the DVR is on, only when in standby with the 2nd last firmware release. Why have it run when the this is only being used as a tuner?
13b. After three or more consecutive recordings are finished, DVR does not go back into Standby. It appears you can do two and it will go into Standby two minutes after the last timer recording is finished.

14. Nothing preventing you to place the DVR in standby prevent stopping a recording in progress. You will loose the recording if standby is pressed accidentally. Some confirmation pop up is needed.

15. Menu icons are hard to read and decipher. Plain text is needed instead of those hard to decipher icons. It's confusing to guess at a icon, then read the text above and to the right of that icon. Substitute icons for plain text by moving the sub-category to the far left column replacing the associated icon. The GUI in their Media Switcher was better. Not as 'glitzy', but who cares, it's easier to navigate.

16a. Shorten the manual recording file name in Media Player by removing the seconds and changing the year to two digits.
16b. Change the sort order from alphabetically to by time & date, naming the files in descending YY-MM-DD would work better for recording multiple programs.

17. Ability to turn clock display off when in standby, substituting a single 'dash' to indicate standby. Also, disable the red LED in the standby mode since it is confusing to have represent two functions; record & standby.

18. In the Video (Picture) sub-menu, once you selected a item, you can't scroll up or down to the next item to adjust without returning to the previous screen.

19. Rename 'Picture' to 'Video' in the main menu and move Dynamic Contrast out of that 'Advanced' menu so all A/V adjustments in one sub-menu. Then delete "Advanced" since nothing would be under that heading anymore. Color temperature has no noticeable effect so remove that.

20. Media Player; Use skip fwd & back to move through the pages instead of channel up/down like it is in all other menu functions where this is used. Consistent and less confusing.

21. Change 'Video' to 'Recordings' in Media Player. “Video” is more a term relating more to image adjustments. Originally this was labeled "Movie" until it was change per my insistence. Also change "Movie" to "Recording" in the delete confirmation box.

22. Change the “Recording List” to “Recording History”. Since it is just a history, not what is actually on the hard drive. It's confusing since one would assume these recording are still available.

23. Disable channel up/down while in Guide. It's too easy to hit and accidentally exit from the Guide.

24. Remove the pop-up box when powering the DVR up that asks to open Media Player. The missing one button access to MP would replace that annoying step.

25a. Add USB support for a keyboard[/B] to make it easier to use U Tube. Trying to use the on screen keyboard gets old real quick.
25b. Using You Tube, the aspect control has no effect. No full width. If you try to watch a 16x9 clip, it is squeezed down to 4x3.
25c. U Tube can not be used when recording. Accessing U Tube will stop all recordings.

26. “Skip” in the channel editor; Confusion of a checked or unchecked entry.[/B] That could mean either the channel is skipped or that it is active. A checked channel should mean skipped, not active.

27. Timeshift; Duplicate use of the skip fwd. & back function for slow motion is confusing. Use the separate orange & blue buttons for this and leave the skip & back functions the same.

28. You can not record on tuner one if you are using one of the inputs to the switcher.

29. Inconsistent time format. Some are shown as 12 hr., others as 24 hrs.In the US, 12 hrs. is preferred.

30. There are too many 'Aspect' choices. 'Direct' and 'Normal' appear to be identical. Debatable with some of the other choices.

31. Do not allow any channels to get added to the channel list when doing a direct entry in case the user doesn't want that channel added. There is a 'Find Channel" function for this.

32. Trying to record and use the USB speed test causes conflicts. Disallow testing while recording.

33. Remove the "Lock" feature as it can cause issues if one forgets the code and since this only records non-premium channels, there shouldn't be a need for it.

34. Ability to manual edit the channel number (along with the stations call letters) for entries that have a bad channel number.

35. Improve the signal level display to expand the resolution of the reading. Five "bars" are too vague.

36a. File size listed in Media Player isn't always correct.
36b. Ability to edit the file name of the recording, especially when it was a manual recording, preferably within Media Player.

37. Modifying a recording in the "Upcoming Recording" menu, will not show any added record time when you 'pad' the end time of a program to extend longer.

post #579 of 2361 Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM

A small annoyance - I've noticed that if you Update a recording to change the channel number, the textual name of the channel (e.g. KTTC-DT) doesn't change.
post #580 of 2361 Old 07-30-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That would be doing a manual record, not through the Guide?
I assume the reason for doing so would be a incorrect channel number entered the 1st time? If so, why not just delete the entry and start over? That's smaller than minor. wink.gif

post #581 of 2361 Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Programs can sometimes get moved to a different channel if their usual channel is going to be showing something else, so it's convenient to just temporarily alter the channel for one episode and then return the schedule to its usual channel later (in my experience).
post #582 of 2361 Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM

In my particular case, I had manually scheduled several weekly shows (using the new firmware's support for it :-) ) and found I had the channel number wrong. So, remembering the day-of-week and time to re-enter them is an annoyance. I agree, it wouldn't stop me from buying the product, but its a bug.
post #583 of 2361 Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
One of my recordings are corrupted. VideoReDo won't load it. I tried to delete it in Explorer but I get "The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name." I tried renaming it but couldn't. Anyone know how I can get rid of this file - short of copying off all my recordings and reformatting?
post #584 of 2361 Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Specifics;
From VRX to what O/S PC?
NTFS formatted drive?
What driver(s) are you using to read it on your PC?

post #585 of 2361 Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Specifics;
From VRX to what O/S PC?
NTFS formatted drive?
What driver(s) are you using to read it on your PC?

I'm in Vista, drive is ext2, driver is the one mentioned at the start of this thread.
post #586 of 2361 Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I'm in Vista, drive is ext2, driver is the one mentioned at the start of this thread.

I plugged the drive back into the PHD and let it try and delete the recording, and it did. Problem solved.
post #587 of 2361 Old 08-03-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You just moved the drive from the VRX to your PC and tried playing it there, or did you actually copy the recording to your PC from the VRX drive?

BTW, post #7 updated regarding the Signal Indicator and the Find Channel procedure.

post #588 of 2361 Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:

You just moved the drive from the VRX to your PC and tried playing it there, or did you actually copy the recording to your PC from the VRX drive?
BTW, post #5 updated regarding the Signal Indicator and the Find Channel procedure.

I just moved the drive.

I think you meant post 7, not 5.
post #589 of 2361 Old 08-04-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Corrected, thanks.

Then you just tried to access the file from Windows w/o copying it to the PC from the VRX drive, correct?
How has VideoReDo worked out, I was going to get around to giving it a try.

post #590 of 2361 Old 08-04-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Then you just tried to access the file from Windows w/o copying it to the PC from the VRX drive, correct?
How has VideoReDo worked out, I was going to get around to giving it a try.

Yes.

VideoReDo is excellent. I played around with Streamclip, a free video editor, but it was a pain to work with. VideoReDo makes it easy. My TVIX had a tendacy to not be able to play it's own recordings. I could salvage the recording by opening it in VideoReDo and then saving it as a .ts or .mpg. Anything VideoReDo touched would ALWAYS play.
post #591 of 2361 Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Have you edit any/many recordings right in the dedicated HDD and was this the 1st time you could not delete an entry?

post #592 of 2361 Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Would you believe, they have another product announced??; eek.gif

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/5/prweb8474677.htm?PID=4003003

post #593 of 2361 Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Would you believe, they have another product announced??; eek.gif
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/5/prweb8474677.htm?PID=4003003

This product is only useful for people that own an older 3-D display that lacks a 2-D to 3-D conversion feature. Almost all new 2012 3-D Blu-ray players and 3-D displays offer a built in 2-D to 3-D conversion feature to give a simulated 3-D effect. Native 3-D offered on the 3-D Blu-ray format offers the best quality 3-D in the home.
post #594 of 2361 Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 AM

If you go into Menu/Schedule a Recording/Future Recording List, you cannot see what day a recording is scheduled for. You can see the date but not the day. If you have a Weekly recording, the date reflects the date you set it up, which may be months ago. But what day this week is it set for? No way of telling. Even if you edit the entry, the day is not shown.
post #595 of 2361 Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This product is only useful for people that own an older 3-D display that lacks a 2-D to 3-D conversion feature.
If that is actually true, sounds kinda useless to me. Fix what they have already instead of introducing new items of questionable value.

DB100;
I'm trying to figure all of that out. confused.gif

BTW, post 2 was updated. Also, so was post 579 again.

post #596 of 2361 Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 AM

The other issue with the Future Recording List is Duration. If you schedule a 30 min recording from the Guide, and then extend it for an additional 30 min, Duration should be 1 hour shouldn't it? Duration remains at 30 min.
post #597 of 2361 Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

IOW's edit a future recording? This was from a listing in the Guide?
I did the same from a Guide entry and it doesn't show the change. See if it actually will add the extra time to that recording. I assume it's just a glitch since you editing the original stop time and the duration remains whatever it was scheduled for. I wonder if it would allow a overlapped recording within that added period of time?

I setup up a manual recording, went back and edit the duration, then the start time, then the channel and they all stuck.

post #598 of 2361 Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I really do not want to spend anymore time being a volunteer BETA tester. When a new firmware update is released the company should include a brief note of what changes and fixes occured in the latest firmware update. I will install the latest firmware update sometime in the future.

As I mentioned before 99% of my TV watching is Blu-ray discs. I left the PHD-VRX on for a week or slightly over a week on an extremely strong channel. After watching a Blu-ray box set for a week I decided to flip to the PHD-VRX briefly since I had not used it for at least a week. To my surprise the video was completely frozen and only the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio could be heard. I tried flipping channels and bringing the menu up but the graphics chip was locked up since the screen was frozen even when I tried changing the channels. The PHD-VRX tuner and sound chip were working but the graphics chip was locked up and frozen. This is better then a complete lockup. This graphics chip lock up (which could be a software issue) is the first time this every happen to me. The standbye button on the remote would not work but the button on the PHD-VRX worked fine to turn it off and on. Then the PHD-VRX got stuck in the BOOT up process. I had to use the master power switch on the front right of the unit to get it to work again. I now have it on 24 x 7 to see if the lock up problem reoccurs. If it reoccurs then I will post again in a week or so. I set the PHD-VRX to record several programs using the guide. I always leave the unit on 24 X 7 except when I was doing extensive tests on the standbye mode and the clock,etc.

In a week or two I should be done with catching up with watching my Blu-ray collection and then I will install the latest firmware. The amount of time I have writing the company and posting all the problems with this product, I could have purchased a TIVO and saved over 100 hours of frustration.
post #599 of 2361 Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:

IOW's edit a future recording? This was from a listing in the Guide?
I did the same from a Guide entry and it doesn't show the change. See if it actually will add the extra time to that recording. I assume it's just a glitch since you editing the original stop time and the duration remains whatever it was scheduled for...

I have a couple of sets of back-to-back, 30 minute shows I setup in the Guide by selecting the first and padding it for an extra 30 minutes. It does record ok. But if you are looking at future recordings, the duration figure ignores the padding, and shows as 30 minutes, forcing you to edit the entry to see if the 30 minute padding is there.

I would much rather the Duration figure reflect the true duration, and should include any padding.
post #600 of 2361 Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I guess that adds another to the list. It's minor, but still it should show the revision.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx