Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 2291 Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 259
The only way they could get around that would be by storing all the settings on the HDD instead of the system's memory, which would mean that instead of having to reconfigure all the settings after each firmware update, you'd have to reconfigure them every time you switched hard drives. The former scenario is usually considered more desirable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2291 Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The only way they could get around that . . .

Or the firmware update utility could be made to write the settings to the drive, then load the new firmware, then retrieve the saved settings from the drive. I believe that's what the Toshiba notebooks in my office do.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #633 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Or the firmware update utility could be made to write the settings to the drive, then load the new firmware, then retrieve the saved settings from the drive. I believe that's what the Toshiba notebooks in my office do.
When doing an update, I remove the drive and replace it with the flash drive containing the update. So, when you say "write settings to drive", I would take that to mean "flash drive". That would sure save alot of typing restoring all the channel information. Good suggestion.
post #634 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Thread Ender

Well, what I was suggesting was that the "engineers" at ePVision could program their firmware update utility to temporarily store the settings. Whether they've done that is another story. But if I had to guess . . . rolleyes.gif

They consider THIS
post #635 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 AM

Some more thoughts on the "Upcoming Recordings" list:

As I stated before, this list does not answer the key question "what is scheduled to record today?". The problem is that it's sorted by Date (month/day). This Date field is set when you first schedule the recording, so Weekly and Daily recordings end up collating at the top of the list while One Time recordings collate at the bottom, even tho they are all scheduled to record TODAY. I looked at my Dish PalDVR to see how it handles this issue.

The PalDVR has TWO lists instead of one. It has a Timers list that is a list of all timers, much like the PHD's Upcoming Recordings list. But it also has a 2nd list called "Daily Schedule". This list is grouped by day starting with Today. So if I looked at this list on a Tuesday, it would start with Tuesday and include all timers scheduled for Tuesday, including Daily and Weekly timers. This is the list I would use regularly because it answered the question "what is scheduled to record today?". The only time I used the Timers list was if I was moving and wanted to remove a number of timers, I could do it quickly with this list. But for daily use, the Daily Schedule was invaluable.

The PHD does not have a Daily Schedule list. It would be a very useful addition.
post #636 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
The only way they could get around that would be by storing all the settings on the HDD instead of the system's memory
Why not use a dedicated section of memory for settings that won't/can't get erased during each firmware update?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #637 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

The PHD does not have a Daily Schedule list. It would be a very useful addition.

I think you are saying it needs one list, in ascending time/date order, that displays what it's going to be doing for the future. It would be limited by data available and updated daily. Sounds like a great idea to me. As a fancy addition, it could place a marker next to an item indicating its recording frequency.
post #638 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

...As a fancy addition, it could place a marker next to an item indicating its recording frequency.

It currently has such a marker but like everything else with this device, the way it's implemented drives me crazy.

The recording frequencies are: Mon-Fri, Sat-Sun, Weekly, Everyday, Once. Notice that the starting letter for each is different.

The PHD timer list has a column for frequency. It shows a single letter as follows:
D = Mon-Fri
O = Weekly
E = Everyday
S = Once
W = Sat-Sun

So for all items except Everyday, you have to memorize the letter since that letter doesn't exist in the frequency.

I would have done it:
M = Mon-Fri
W = Weekly
E = Everyday
O = Once
S = Sat-Sun
No memorization necessary.
post #639 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It currently has such a marker but like everything else with this device, the way it's implemented drives me crazy.

That would drive me crazy too. Grid recording on my Sony DHG has a "regularly" option, but no "new only" like the Tivo. Is there a way to schedule The Daily Show or Jimmy Fallon? Both of these shows can display incorrectly for future days but get fixed on the day of going on air. I'm glad that programming scheduled recording is not my job. Sometimes The Daily Show gets extra recordings. Even a Tivo has problems sometimes.
post #640 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Updated "laundry list". Related items are grouped together. Actually, there are now 69 separate issues.
The order of importance has been changed also;

1a. The Guide needs to include both tuners integrated together as one Guide no matter which input you are in. It's a real problem and inconvenience to have to switch back and forth between tuners to try to schedule programming. Especially if you have overlapping recordings. Also, more than one channels programming needs to be available. This is another real problem. You schedule one program only to find something better on another channel at the same time. If you forget what channel it was, you have to go back and find it, one channel at a time.
1b. The Guide really needs a subscription, Internet based full program data. PSIP Guide data is unreliable, spotty and inconsistent if it is there at all. I know this is well known to them, but I had to have this in the list. What good are three to six hours of listings? Anything less than one full week shouldn't be acceptable in this day and age.
1c.There is no ability for the system to save the existing data for each station in the Guide. After you stop on that channel, continue, then return, the data has to re-loaded every time on every channel.
1d. New glitch: When moving up (lower channel) in the Guide, the view window & data do not always get updated. Both remain from the previous channel. Press the right, then left navigation buttons will cause a refresh. This does not affect moving down in the list (higher channel).

2a. A Full manual recording option, no matter if there is Guide data or not, that is directly accessible from the Record button without going into the menu or Guide. There are too many times where one needs to modify the start and/or stop times either way. As this stands, other than diving into the main menu a number of layers deep, when in the Guide, there is no full manual recording available if there is Guide data of any kind on that channel.
2b. Allow adjustments plus and minus for the start and stop times. Not just one or the other. Programs do start early and end early.
2c. When there is a conflict, you have no idea (unless you can remember) where the conflict is. A conflicting entry should be allowed, but made inactive allowing the user to go to the "Upcoming Recordings" page so the two recordings could be edited and/or made active or inactive. Or, have a pop-up box appear to replace the current box with the following choices; 1. Allow new entry, 2. Allow existing entry, 3. Enter both, but make both inactive.
2d. Remove that “Active” check box in the recording options. One less thing to click through. That is already available in "Upcoming Recordings" if needed.
2e. There is no option to delete a scheduled recording while in the Guide. You have to exit, then wade through the main menu to "Upcoming Recordings" to do this.
2f. Remove the Sat. & Sun. entry. I can't see any purpose for this.

3. No ability to remember where playback was stopped. No ability to 'Mark' where you are or have the system do so when you hit stop or exit by mistake. One hour into a two hour movie, you have to leave, as soon as you press stop and place it in standby, when it comes time to pick up where you left off, guess what? You have to remember were you were and hit the 20 second skip xx number of times or use the fast forward to return to where you left off m(if you can even remember at all).

4a. Add one button access to Media Player Recordings on the remote and in the Quick Menu.
4b. Remove that pop-up open Media Player box when returning from standby. No need for it if that above was available.
4c. Pressing 'Exit' while in Media Player will completely exit you out of MP while watching a recording. Some confirmation is needed to prevent this.
4d. Shorten the manual recording file name in Media Player by removing the seconds and changing the year to two digits.
4e. Change the sort order from alphabetically to by time & date, naming the files in descending YY-MM-DD would work better for recording multiple programs.
4f. Allow renaming recordings while in Media Player for names that are incorrect or for manual entries.

5a. The output of this DVR been confirmed to be very dark with high contrast. You have to set the brightness to around 15 and the contrast around 80. It's way too dark at the default settings. These settings have to be applied separately for Media Player, you have to reactivate them each and every time you use MP since they won't take affect until you press each adjustment that you have changed.
5b. False contouring in blacks, shadows, dark scenes. This has been confirmed. Especially noticeable anywhere there are shadows and/or dark clothing, especially mens suits. Apparently, the default dark, contrasty video settings are to hide this problem. After extended testing, it now appears this Broadcom/ATI chipset is sensitive to lower bitrates. A difference of only 3MB/s will cause noticing the false contouring or not. I have compared the same program from two different sources and the one that had the higher bitrate transmission didn't have the problem. Not all programming is affected. This does not affect recordings played outside of the DVR.

6. The 20 second skip forward and back needs an option to adjust the amount of the time span (there wasn't any until I insisted on this), 20 seconds is not enough. Give the ability to set times in each direction. 15, 30, 60 & 120 seconds would suffice with 15 seconds back and 60 seconds forward as defaults. What is really needed is adjustable skip times from 15 seconds to five minutes. Even though, if you hold the Skip Fwd or Rev down, it will FF or Rev scan until you release it, a fixed amount with out holding the button would make things easier.

7a. Optical audio level is apparently very low. Since the volume control has no effect, it can't be adjusted.
7b. Audio controls have no effect on analog or optical outputs. Only HDMI is affected.
7c. HDMI apparently passes only two channel, variable PCM uncompressed stereo audio. (Which is the only output that can be adjusted.) Apparently, they think everyone justs connects the HDMI cable to their TV.
7d. There is no audio at all when the timeshifting mode is activated. Only when you are watching the delayed portion of the recording is there audio. There is audio on the HDMI output.

8a. An attached external enclosed hard drive does not spin down anymore when the DVR is on, only when in standby wfrom the 2nd last firmware release. Why have it run when the this is only being used as a tuner? (Yes, you can disconnect the drive, but you shouldn't have to.)
8b. After three or more consecutive recordings are finished or recordings over 90 minutes in length (not verified), DVR does not go back into Standby. It appears you can do two and it will go into Standby two minutes after the last timer recording is finished.

9. Nothing preventing you to place the DVR in standby to prevent stopping a recording in progress. You will loose the recording if standby is pressed accidentally. Some confirmation pop up is needed.

10. A timer recording from standby looses the 1st 45 seconds of the program due to the boot time if the recorder was in standby. Booting from standby should start one minute early so the recorder is up and running.

11. There is no clock backup if there is a power outage. User intervention is needed to power up so the DVR can get a clock update.

12. No 1080i for older HDTV's w/o a 1080p input. 480p is also missing which was removed from the early firmware. Some TV's have limited aspect options with some resolutions. Sometimes the 480 choice works out better. This should be restored.

13a. Internal disc format utility; Between the lack of any information right from the start back in April up to the present with the release of the owners manual, this has been a problem. This can only be used with a drive that is already formatted. The owners manual makes no mention of this. It isn't a problem with these pre-packaged combo enclosures & drives, but it makes this useless with any bare drive that doesn't already come formatted to NTFS. If you have to format the drive in a PC, why do it again here? Separate components are always better than some pre-configured package. You have control over each item. Obviously, ePVision doesn't understand this.
13b. Add the ability to format any drive even if it is already formatted,
13c. Add a progress bar to let one know where in the formatting the utility is. Also with a timer to show how long it's been since the process started.
13d. Add the ability to defrag the drive.

14. Remove the pop-up box when powering the DVR up that asks to open Media Player. The missing one button access and/or a Quick access entry to MP would replace that annoying step.

15. GoTo & Guide buttons on the remote need to be swapped. GoTo needs to be renamed to Return as it is on most other devices. GoTo means something entirely different than what it does here and is confusing. The button for GoTo is larger and should be for the Guide. Apparently ePVision realizes this as they pack a separate slip in the box stating the use of the GoTo button. It's also mentioned in the manual a few times.

16. Those small, somewhat identical, circular Menu icons are hard to read and decipher. They all look the same, except the sub menu you are in. Plain text is needed instead cutesy icons. It's confusing to guess at a icon, then read the text above and to the right of that icon. Substitute icons for plain text by moving the text of the sub-category to the far left column replacing the associated icon. The GUI in their Media Switcher was better. It appeared that was easier to navigate.

17. Ability to turn clock display off when in standby, substituting a single 'dash' to indicate standby. Also, disable the red LED in the standby mode since it is confusing to have represent two functions; record & standby.

18a. Change the “Recording List” to “Recording History”. Since it is just a history, not what is actually on the hard drive. It's confusing since one would assume these recording are still available.
18b.Reoccurring recordings only record the first instance. Anything after the 1st recording will not record even though it shows in the "Upcoming Recordings" list. The status column only shows a green check mark for the initial recording of a program that is setup for repetitive recordings (daily, weekly etc.), but disappears afterwards..

21. Re-enable the analog channel noise reduction that was removed. The highest setting did make a difference, thought not as much as it should. This is unlike the digital version that was removed. That made no difference that I ever noticed.

22a. Speed play is useless as it stands due to inter-reaction with the audio sampling when using AC3. Using PCM, the problem is not there. This just happens during FF, Rew is Ok. The sample rate is terrible making the feature worthless. You can't see enough frames to make any sense out of the video.
22b. If a recorded program is paused during playback, the video freezes but the audio continues playing for an additional 5 seconds. This happens when AC3 is in use. When the video stream is resumed by hitting play, there is no audio until the video "catches up" to the point where the audio originally paused (another 5 seconds). The HDMI output behaves normally.

23a. Rename "Picture" to Video in the Main Menu. Picture is a non technical, childish term. Note, the proper term of "Audio" is used instead of "Sound',
23b. Move Dynamic Contrast out of that 'Advanced' menu so all A/V adjustments are in one sub-menu. Then delete "Advanced" since nothing would be under that heading anymore.
23c. Remove Color temperature since it has no noticeable effect.
23d. In the Video (Picture) sub-menu, once you selected a item, you can't scroll up or down to the next item to adjust without returning to the previous screen. This is not a problem using the Quick menu.

24. Change 'Video' to 'Recordings' in Media Player. “Video” is more a term relating to a input or a "video" from someones camcorder. Originally this was labeled "Movie" until it was change per my insistence. Also change "Movie" to "Recording" in the delete confirmation box.

24. Do not allow any channels to get added to the channel list when doing a direct entry. There is a 'Find Channel" function for this. Since the analog function of RF input 2 is disabled, entering any channel number that is empty, will automatically just add that to the channel map. Just another another entry to "skip".

26. Media Player; Use skip fwd & back to move through the pages instead of channel up/down like it is in all other menu functions where this is used. Consistent and less confusing.

27. Disable channel up/down while in Guide. It's too easy to hit and accidentally exit from the Guide.

28. You can not record on tuner one if you are using one of the inputs to the switcher.

29a. Add USB support for a keyboard[/B] to make it easier to use U Tube. Trying to use the on screen keyboard gets old real quick.
29b. Using You Tube, the aspect control has no effect. No full width. If you try to watch a 16x9 clip, it is squeezed down to 4x3.
29c. U Tube can not be used when recording. Accessing U Tube will stop all recordings.

30. Timeshift; Duplicate use of the skip fwd. & back function for slow motion is confusing. Use the separate orange & blue buttons for this and leave the skip & back functions the same.

31. Inconsistent time format. Some are shown as 12 hr., others as 24 hrs. In the US, 12 hrs. is preferred.

32a. There are too many 'Aspect' choices. Normal is the proper setting for probably 95% of the material available without distorting the image just to fill the screen.
32b. For analog & SD channels; Normal, Direct & 4:3 are identical. For HD channels; Direct & Full Screen are identical.
32c. Direct should be 1:1 pixel mapping, it isn't. Normal is.
32d. 4:3 will 'narrow' a HD channel. I can't see any need for this. Since it is the same as normal, remove it.
32e. 'Panoramic' disproportionately stretches the screen, mostly the extreme edges. Remove that.
32f. 'Zoom1' is ok for proportionally expanding a 'postage stamp' image, but 'Zoom2' over stretches the image vertically & horizontally. Remove that.

33. Trying to record and use the USB speed test causes conflicts. Disallow testing while recording.

34. Improve the signal level display to expand the resolution of the reading. Five "bars" are too vague.

35a. Remove the "Lock" feature as it can cause issues if one forgets the pin number.
35b. The 'Lock" feature can be easily overridden just by powering off the DVR and powering back up via the mechanical power switch (not standby).
35c. Doing a factory reset doesn't restore access to the front panel buttons. Since this only records non-premium channels, there shouldn't be a need for it, other than locking out the front panel.

36. Ability to manual edit the channel number (along with the stations call letters) for entries that get a bad channel number from improperly ID'ing the virtual channel number from the actual physical number

37a. File size listed in Media Player isn't always correct. Many recordings will show 1245KB (wherever that number came from).
37b. Ability to edit the file name of the recording, especially when it was a manual recording, preferably within Media Player.

38. Modifying a recording in the "Upcoming Recording" menu, will not show any added record time when you 'pad' the end time of a program to extend the recording longer.

39. The display on the unit will not show a channel change entry until that channel is actually changed like it does on screen. It would be nicer if the entry on the unit would duplicate what is seen on-screen, especially if you have "music" CATV channels available and are using the tuner just to listen without a TV on.

Added entries about reoccurring recording entries, format utility, aspect choices, analog noise reduction, grouped Media Player issues together.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #641 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 AM

Liked: 13
Wow. That's quite a laundry list. Thanks for your legwork.
post #642 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You did see the other two posts with the older versions didn't you? wink.gif

post #643 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Corrections in the manual (revised 9/12/12);

Page 12; Add "Skip" to #10 Actions for the Previous & Next buttons.

Page 18; Add "or two antennas" to #5 for the 'Tuner Source Select".

Page 20; Change "Video" (which should be Recordings) to 'Media Player'.

Page 23; There is no mention that these audio controls are only for the HDMI output! They have no effect foe analog or optical.

Page 26; Additional information is needed regarding the terms "physical" and "virtual". Very few have any idea of either term.

Page 27; There is no details on how to create a custom label for a input.

Page 31; Add the choice of "both" under 'Manual Time Setting" (from the previous page).

Page 39; The 3rd note before "Media Player", change "main menu" to 'sub-menu' and add the limitation that the Main menu is not available.

Page 40; Regarding the 1st paragraph, add the fact that the audio settings only affect the HDMI output,

Page 42; The 3rd paragraph, "Start time and End time", add that only the start time can be adjusted early and the end time adjusted late.

Page 43; Add if you modify the recording start/stop times, it won't show in the list. Also, Under "Recorded Shows", add that recording will show even if the drive is not connected or the recording was deleted.

Page 44; Add to "USB Disk Status" the speed test will only remain as long as the DVR is powered up. If you place it in standby, then power back up, the results of the test will not be saved, even if the drive was never disconnected. (other revision was made)

Page 45; 1st paragraph, change "may" to "will" regarding formatting the drive to ext2. And my long standing major issue:
There is absolutely nothing stating the apparent fact that the drive has to be already formatted to use their formatting utility. Which means they are assuming this is not a "bare drive, but one of those "packaged" combo enclosure HDDs that is already formatted.

Page 54; Last paragraph, change page "5" to page 56.

Page 55; Under "Program Guide Recording", halfway down, change page "1 and 2" to page '52 and 53'.

(two minor changes were made with this 2nd revision)

post #644 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

You did see the other two posts with the older versions didn't you? wink.gif

Yes and WOW also. Fix 7c, 1b, 17 and 31 and I might buy one. Good work.
post #645 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks videobruce for your reply (and all the hard work)

I'd like to say, so far I'm satisfied. By no means is it as easy as a Tivo box i owned a while back, but my projector needed a good OTA HD Tuner and this is doing the trick. While I am satisfied, there are a few things on the laundry list that I hope to get done.

One thing i noticed, i tried to record a program (with mon-fri setting) using the program guide (and not manually setting it up) and it recorded only on Tuesday (the day i set it up). Has anyone tinkered with this? It shows up in the upcoming recording list (albeit no green check on the status). As a backup, i created a manual, Mon-Fri recording on antenna 2.

So once again, is this a flaw or can anyone shed some light on a mistake i probably made.
Thanks
post #646 of 2291 Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

jhr1948;
If there is no 'green' check mark, then it is not active. Go to that entry and click "select" and see if "Active" is checked.

post #647 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 AM

Repeat type timers (Daily, M-F, etc) have NEVER received the green check mark. Because of this, that column is essentially useless. It should be a way to easily see what timers are scheduled for today, but it fails because it ignores repeats.
post #648 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 05:55 AM

VideoBruce:

Item 7 on your list refers to various issues with HDMI audio. You had mentioned that there were two updates available on ePVision's documents page. I went to that page and downloaded the latest update, but I also noted the "improvements" that were listed for the other update, just before the latest. It said that the HDMI audio was improved. But if you go to the documents page today, that other update is no longer listed. I'm trying to figure out if I just imagined that note about HDMI audio or what?
post #649 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Not another issue??
Now I know how it felt to be the captain of the Titanic. biggrin.gif

DB100;
The only "firmware instructions" that ever had any info regarding what was changed is the current one. I never saw anything about HDMI. For all I know that might of been addressed, but I can't test that, my receiver is in another room and it is only analog.

Could post some screen shots regarding this issue with the "weekly" recordings?

post #650 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 AM

videobruce: just to let you know, i did check the settings and the active box was checked, however, no green check in the status column.

DB100: so are you saying the program guide scheduled recording is looking for the same exact show (meaning the same episode) versus the manual recording setting is just telling the dvr to record the same channel at the same time (M-F)?

Hope i made since smile.gif
post #651 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhr1948 View Post

videobruce: just to let you know, i did check the settings and the active box was checked, however, no green check in the status column.
DB100: so are you saying the program guide scheduled recording is looking for the same exact show (meaning the same episode) versus the manual recording setting is just telling the dvr to record the same channel at the same time (M-F)?
Hope i made since smile.gif

I'm saying the Upcoming Recordings list has a column called STATUS. If you enter a Once type timer it will appear on the list with a green checkmark in the STATUS column. If a week ago you entered a Weekly timer that is due to fire today, it WILL NOT have a green check mark. So what exactly does a green check mark mean? Beats me!

The Upcoming Recordings list has a number of problems that I have listed in various messages. I think a good approach would be to ignore all these issues and lobby for a 2nd listing patterned off the Daily Schedule listing in the Dish PalDVR. I describe a possible format in post 636. The Upcoming Recordings list would then serve as a master list, while the new Daily Schedule list would be what you would use on a daily basis.
post #652 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just programmed various recordings using something other than once. The 1st entry is recording
Does it help showing this?

After that 1st entry finished (it was only 15 min.), the status column went blank. Is that what you were talking about?
I did edit an entry to add time at the end, but as (whomever) stated, it doesn't show the new end time.

post #653 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Wait til tomorrow. Any Daily entry is scheduled to fire tomorrow but will there be a green check tomorrow?

The same goes for next week. On the day it's scheduled for next week, will it get a checkmark?

You got all checkmarks ONLY because the scheduled date is today. Future dates will not be checkmarked.
post #654 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Not to get OT, but HDTV1080p's essay review of this is also here;
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=199469

post #655 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

How come whenever you install an update, all your channel info is wiped out? You have to rescan, re-edit your master list, and rebuild Favorites? A royal pain. And after all that, there is no visual improvement of the interface. It just doesn't seem worth the effort.

I see version VRX.242.20.14 was released on August 12 2012 which is their second firmware release to the public. I have not installed the firmware yet but the only thing the release notes claim it does is “Adding Weekly Recording” and “Improve Color Settings and etc.” I am glad the firmware added and improved things but I hope future firmware updates will fix the major bugs I and others mentioned before adding new features.

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm

It can take hour’s sometimes customizing several QAM channels from a cable line up and other settings. There should be a feature that either maintains the entire settings of the PHD-VRX after a firmware or it should at the very minimum have a option to save the BIOS settings to an external USB drive.
post #656 of 2291 Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

I see version VRX.242.20.14 was released on August 12 2012 which is their second firmware release to the public. I have not installed the firmware yet but the only thing the release notes claim it does is “Adding Weekly Recording” and “Improve Color Settings and etc.” I am glad the firmware added and improved things but I hope future firmware updates will fix the major bugs I and others mentioned before adding new features.

Although I don't (yet) own this product, I have been researching for hours tonight about the best HDTV tuner to get. I just scored the AntennaCraft HD360View and I'm picking up dozens of digital channels on my smaller LCD TVs. However, I don't have anything for converting to the projector in my home theater room.

@HDTV1080p (if that is you and your review from the blu-ray forum), oustanding report. After reading all that, I noticed the new firmware on their website and was curious to see if it fixed any of the major annoyances (haha nope). Also amusing is that we both have the same receiver (Pioneer VSX-33) so your experiences are likely to be mine as well if I decide on this unit. I share in the disappointment of lack of 5.1 audio through HDMI and minimal choice of resolution inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBags View Post

FWIW (which may not be much based on previous promises from the company that I've read on this thread) I just emailed ePVision yesterday and got back this response today ...
Thank you for your email. We are working on the improvements as you mentioned right now. Should be available very soon after we tested the new code. So far we are on the right schedule. And yes, we will release this major firmware upgrade very soon. Thanks.

I hope they fix the 57 issues that need attention, haha. Although I don't watch much TV and am cutting the cord to cable pretty soon, I would like to decide on a tuner and this one looks by far to be the best choice, but the issues currently plaguing it right now keep me from pulling the trigger.
post #657 of 2291 Old 08-17-2012, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

HDTV1080P24;
As I posted, there doesn't appear to be any real noticeable changes to it over the previous un-released version. Weekly recordings was already added and the so called "Improve Color Settings" made no difference.
We are still looking for the "and etc.". rolleyes.gif
Also, if you would follow my "Find channels" procedure, I would bet you wouldn't have to spend so much time customizing your CATV channels. wink.gif At least, you wouldn't have to "skip" so many encrypted sub-channels.

kinless;
I update the original 10 posts on a regular basis. Also the "laundry list a few posts back. Take a closer look, your comments & HDTV1080p's have already been addressed. The "57 issues" will grow.

post #658 of 2291 Old 08-17-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

...if you would follow my "Find channels" procedure, I would bet you wouldn't have to spend so much time customizing your CATV channels. At least, you wouldn't have to "skip" so many encrypted sub-channels.

I follow your "Find channels" procedure, but in my case the found channels require extensive editing to keep them in sync with Schedules Direct. For example, my Schedules Direct listing shows programming for channel 4, which is 76.03 on the PHD device. So I edit 76.03 to display "4 NBC". I do this for all channels, so my Schedule Direct listing is usable.

The only reason this is an issue is because this device was put out prematurely and it's now in a phase where there may be frequent, small fixes. They had your list of issues to work with and this phase could have been avoided. Eventually, when (if) it matures, the updates will cease and the problem will go away.
post #659 of 2291 Old 08-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

..... Eventually, when (if) it matures, the updates will cease and the problem will go away.

If it doesn't mature soon, the sales will cease and the product will go away . . . eek.gif

They consider THIS
post #660 of 2291 Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If it doesn't mature soon, the sales will cease and the product will go away
There is a simple solution: a new broom sweeps clean. wink.gif
Quote:
I follow your "Find channels" procedure, but in my case the found channels require extensive editing to keep them in sync with Schedules Direct. For example, my Schedules Direct listing shows programming for channel 4, which is 76.03 on the PHD device. So I edit 76.03 to display "4 NBC". I do this for all channels, so my Schedule Direct listing is usable.
But, why would that be any different than if you ran a full scan with all those other channels/services you don't want or are encrypted the tuner didn't ignore?? confused.gif

Ok, since you brought it up, how about providing us with some insite and experience with "Schedules Direct" since I assume you have signed up. I didn't know what you were talking about until I did a search and saw the site again. I now remember running across that before, but never looked into it.
After taking another quick look, I would be willing to guess this is the mystery source of what ePVison is planning to use for their 'pay' Guide data source. wink.gif
Judging by the apparent fact they mention other applications and since this has Internet connectivity. Assuming this is correct (and I bet it is), all they have to do is add additional code so their Guide can get data from Schedules Direct server.

Now that shouldn't take too long. biggrin.gif

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page