Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

...how about providing us with some insite and experience with "Schedules Direct" since I assume you have signed up. I didn't know what you were talking about until I did a search and saw the site again. I now remember running across that before, but never looked into it.

See discussion starting with post 110 (page 4).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 169
What I was looking for was your experience with this service.

Actually, it was Videograbber in post 105 that first mentioned 'SchedulesDirect'. I remember the discussion about writing code for an interface for the DVR, but missing the reference to SD. I suggested the volunteering of a member to ePVision, but the suggestion was ignored as most others have been. ;
Quote:
If an interface file format was defined for the VRX, and if someone were to write a free or Open-Source app to process the data, then SchedulesDirect provides a data service for $25 per year (per household) that could populate any market you'd like. I used it myself for a year (before I got SageTV, with its own Guide info), and it worked quite well.

Posts 2 & 9 have been updated as was post 641 (laundry list).

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:

What I was looking for was your experience with this service.

My experience with Schedules Direct (SD) wouldn't be relevent only because I'm a retired programmer and I developed my own package for downloading the data, parsing it out and putting it into a database which works on my Android phone. For most folks, you would want to see it being used in an HTPC, and then hope that ePVision incorporates it into the PHD.

Most HTPC software can work with SD. There would be a setup screen where you enter your SD UserName and Password, and perhaps how many days of programming you want. That lets the HTPC download the data and then present a cool looking grid with all the channels and upcoming programming. This grid would be color coded to indicate programs already scheduled for recording. Since it's working with data stored locally on the device, scrolling around the grid is fast - nothing like trying to slog your way thru the Guide data on the PHD or TVIX devices.

Plus, SD is very reasonably priced. Something like $23 dollars a year. SD and the PHD would be an excellent combination.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I update the original 10 posts on a regular basis. Also the "laundry list a few posts back. Take a closer look, your comments & HDTV1080p's have already been addressed. The "57 issues" will grow.

Thanks, I read over most of the first page for a technical view of the device.

I'm not so much about the recording features, but the two things I care about the most (from the laundry list) are 7c. (Lack of 5.1 HDMI) and 12. (720p and 1080p only). My projector isn't 1080p so this is somewhat of a concern. I suppose I could use the workarounds but that seems clunky to me.

I read over the list again to make sure I wasn't missing anything, but have these 2 things been addressed recently (e.g. with the latest firmware) or do I have to wait a little longer for a better solution?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 AM

By the way VideoBruce - how about that Daily recording you setup yesterday. Does it have a green checkmark today in the Upcoming Recordings list?

To me, a Daily recording should have a green checkmark up until it starts recording. Then the checkmark would go away. At midnight, all Daily timers would get the checkmark back because they are now active again for the next day.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Most HTPC software can work with SD. There would be a setup screen where you enter your SD UserName and Password, and perhaps how many days of programming you want. That lets the HTPC download the data and then present a cool looking grid with all the channels and upcoming programming. This grid would be color coded to indicate programs already scheduled for recording. Since it's working with data stored locally on the device, scrolling around the grid is fast - nothing like trying to slog your way thru the Guide data on the PHD or TVIX devices.
Plus, SD is very reasonably priced. Something like $23 dollars a year. SD and the PHD would be an excellent combination.
The question is, will that same ability be available here, assuming this is what they plan on using, also assuming it actually happens and finally, actually works with a single interface not one for each tuner like it is now..
Quote:
the two things I care about the most (from the laundry list) are 7c. (Lack of 5.1 HDMI) and 12. (720p and 1080p only).
HDTV1080p addressed the HDMI/Optical/Audio/AC3 problems, but he feels, since their older products don't support anything other than PCM over HDMI, this isn't going to either.
I don't have a HDMI receiver. Even if I did, I prefer to send video directly to the sink (TV) it is intended to, the same goes for audio. A learning/programmable remote control with macro capability solves the problem of switching inputs on two devices at the same time very well. Besides, using a receiver to do video switching removes the ability to customize settings for each video input of the TV (assuming the set has individual input memory). I have seen enough threads and posts with handshaking issues. Adding another 'stop' for the signal can only make thing worse. wink.gif

The 1080i/1080p issue I complained about this a week after I received this back In April. I saw the problem with older TV's not having 1080p. I also complained about the removal of the 480p mode.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

HDTV1080P24;
As I posted, there doesn't appear to be any real noticeable changes to it over the previous un-released version. Weekly recordings was already added and the so called "Improve Color Settings" made no difference.
We are still looking for the "and etc.". rolleyes.gif
Also, if you would follow my "Find channels" procedure, I would bet you wouldn't have to spend so much time customizing your CATV channels. wink.gif At least, you wouldn't have to "skip" so many encrypted sub-channels.
kinless;
I update the original 10 posts on a regular basis. Also the "laundry list a few posts back. Take a closer look, your comments & HDTV1080p's have already been addressed. The "57 issues" will grow.

If I was only on antenna (over the air broadcast) then doing a complete setup after a firmware update would not be that big of deal. 100% of the ATSC digital channels have labels that are automatically applied to them. Only one low power NTSC channel needs a label in my area. However, since I am also using the tuner with Verizon FIOS 100% digital QAM network I also need to do a lot more manual setup after a firmware update. For example only some of the QAM channels receive automatic channel labels. There are several channels that need to be labeled so I know what the channel is. Also there are some channels that need to manually be deleted from the channel database since they are either encrypted or not active. If one has 30 or more QAM channels that need labeled or deleted it is time consuming. Making a master paper copy of the channels and the network name saves time.

If the firmware update does a factory reset on the memory and deletes all the settings it can be a lot of work restoring all the settings. People that only use this product for ATSC broadcast will have a lot less work setting up the PHD-VRX.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Also there are some channels that need to manually be deleted from the channel database since they are either encrypted or not active. If one has 30 or more QAM channels that need labeled or deleted it is time consuming.
I understand, but I was specifically referring to the physical channels that managed to get added when no sub channels are in the clear or of any interest. It would save deleting those. I realize it won't help with stations that aren't ID'd or ID'd improperly. Your stuck 'fixing' those either way.
I have at least 17 OTA main & sub channels I have no use for. This includes four physical channel entries that have up to three sub-channels each. For CATV, there are 60 or so analog channels that are mostly useless since I can't record them. Plus another 10 or so digital sub-channels that are either duplicates of the HD channel or ones I have no use for. That was/is the purpose of using the "Find Channel" feature.

Of course, you could cut to the chase and just enter the physical channel number and they will get added by themselves (thanks for your observation of this), but you don't see all the sub channels that way. wink.gif
Quote:
If the firmware update does a factory reset on the memory and deletes all the settings
Yes it does as it does with any other DVR or TV that I know of, though there might be exceptions.
Yes, a separate file that could be saved in a memory stick would be nice.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

DB100;
The recorder must of seen your post since it started a recording around the same time. Here is the same screen today from post 653. The single green check is a weekend recording. I added that to the list (19b.) of now 67 issues.

Did you (or anyone) see the suggestion for a solution regarding recording conflicts, post 641, issue 2c?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:

DB100 did you (or anyone) see the suggestion for a solution regarding recording conflicts, post 641, issue 2c?

2c. When there is a conflict, you have no idea (unless you can remember) where the conflict is. A conflicting entry should be allowed, but made inactive allowing the user to go to the "Upcoming Recordings" page so the two recordings could be edited and/or made active or inactive. Or, have a pop-up box appear to replace the current box with the following choices; 1. Allow new entry, 2. Allow existing entry, 3. Enter both, but make both inactive.

Let's discuss this.

First, a conflicting entry IS ALLOWED now, as long as YOU uncheck the Active block. If you edit it later and check that block, it will once again check for a duplicate.

When you enter a new timer, it checks for a duplicate and if there is one, you get a messag and it won't accept that new timer. So, since you are getting the message, and the code doing the checking has identified a duplicate, then WHY DOESN'T THE MESSAGE INCLUDE THE OTHER CONFLICTING TIMER so you can go delete it?! It makes you go try and hunt down the duplicate, which you can't do since the Upcoming Recordings list doesn't include the day. So just tell me in the message which timer is causing the problem, and I can then fix it.

Perhaps you could include a suggestion that a day-of-the week column be added to the Upcoming Recordings list. None of this would have surfaced if you could see what day each Weekly/Once timer was set for.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM

I just thought of something in regards to duplicates. I've seen in other software packages where they let you enter the duplicate but the Upcoming Recordings list would mark the timers that are in conflict, making it easy for you to fix them. For example, the Active column could be used to mark duplicates with a red checkmark. I think my old Panasonic DVR did something like that.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Now that shouldn't take too long. biggrin.gif

Ahh, ever the optimist. I have to give it to you Bruce at least you don't lose your sense of humor! LOL biggrin.gif
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
First, a conflicting entry IS ALLOWED now, as long as YOU uncheck the Active block.
Ahh....... Didn't know or think of doing that. redface.gif
Quote:
If you edit it later and check that block, it will once again check for a duplicate.
Then, per my idea, it should then allow the choices with the conflicting recording showing when you are in that "Upcoming Recordings" screen.
Quote:
then WHY DOESN'T THE MESSAGE INCLUDE THE OTHER CONFLICTING TIMER so you can go delete it?
Which is my argument, as stated.
Quote:
I've seen in other software packages where they let you enter the duplicate but the Upcoming Recordings list would mark the timers that are in conflict, making it easy for you to fix them.
Again, basically what I was saying.

Before you exit the Guide or close the "Record now/Manual recording" pop-up box, if a conflict is there, the system should ask if you want to fix it now, talking you to the Upcoming Recordings screen. wink.gif

Of course, that is probably way too much to ask. I'll let you do so. biggrin.gif (I hate to disappoint.)

Old 08-18-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ahh, ever the optimist. I have to give it to you Bruce at least you don't lose your sense of humor!
Actually, I'm just the opposite, but I don't have much choice here.

Posts 1, 4, 5 & Laundry List updated. 69 issues total. Reoccurring recordings issue confirmed. Only the 1st "weekly" etc. recording will record, anything after that will not. So much for "weekly" or "daily". rolleyes.gif

Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 PM

I have an interesting issue with the remote frequencies. I'd guess that it's just bad luck but I don't know the protocol for choosing frequencies.
To address the low sound levels on recordings I bought a Vizio sound bar (VSB200) to get more volume.
I found out real quickly that the remote buttons for it and for the PHD-VRX have overlap.
As an example whenever I use the PHD-VRX remote to jump forward it turns on/off a volume control setting so that every jump forward makes it much softer or much louder.
Going the other way: using the Vizio remote to adjust the volume exits Media Player.

The simple solution of covering up the sensor for the Vizio and not use its remote works for me but I figured that I'd put this out as a minor issue.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM

I just put in my money to buy one of these units, and I have to say, reading the comments here about closed captions, I think _everyone_ is missing the point. Not having captions, for someone like me, is like YOU not having any sound to go with your program. Not only that, it's illegal what the company has done, stripping out the captions. Probably they don't even realize what they've done if no one bothered to tell them about it. (Don't worry, I have emailed their sales dept. and also informed the Federal Communications Commission in case that is not sufficient.)

If you don't like closed captions, well, that's why they are "closed" -- if they were open, you would not have a choice in the matter. That some of you don't have enough brain cells to deal with both the picture and the text is not _my_ problem, just as you don't think captions is _your_ problem. But, you don't see me going around complaining that your ears are accommodated but my eyes are not, _except_ if someone is insensitive enough to go and spout off about the captions.

Now that I've vented my spleen on this issue, you can go back to your regular nitpicking about the other things. I would really like to know more about this whole HDMI audio and how it's missing from some other output issue since I do use headphones and might save some money if I know which audio outputs do not have the ability to turn the volume up all the way.

Incidentally, if recording does not work correctly, I can always buy a Tivo, or something similar that does. The PHD-VRX still has plenty of other nice features that make it worth keeping. For example, I like being able to start with a small monitor that fits my lifestyle, and being able to change to a bigger one later; it's much more efficient that way.

T.S.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingwriter View Post

I just put in my money to buy one of these units, and I have to say, reading the comments here about closed captions, I think _everyone_ is missing the point. Not having captions, for someone like me, is like YOU not having any sound to go with your program. Not only that, it's illegal what the company has done, stripping out the captions. Probably they don't even realize what they've done if no one bothered to tell them about it. (Don't worry, I have emailed their sales dept. and also informed the Federal Communications Commission in case that is not sufficient.)
T.S.

I would not buy any AV equipment without reading the AVSForum thread on the item. Page 1 describes the lack of CC.

Once I wrote to the FCC that my cable had no PSIP or SCTE-127. I never have heard back.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Liked: 11
I've been paying attention to this product for the past few days. There is certainly a lot of criticism about it and I can certainly understand your frustrations. However, I'm hopeful that the bugs will be worked out because it is the best hope I have seen yet for what I'm trying to accomplish. The USB sticks that supposedly would allow you to tune in stations and use your computer as a PVR were a disaster for me. If this unit just has a decent tuner with good sensitivity, I would consider that an achievement. ePVision seems to be on the right track. They have come up with a product that tries to solve many people's problems without monthly fees. I, for one, think they need encouragement; so they don't abandon the endeavor. This product will fill a void and I'm afraid that if they fail, we may never get such a product again. Have some patience and help them to succeed.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The OTA tuner is very good and has very good sensitivity. Much better than the problematic CM7400 tuner.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
The built in close captioning feature works perfectly fine for those that only want to watch live viewing on the PHD-VRX (There are some very nice close captioning features and menus that I mentioned in my review). The problem is as soon as one wants to use the PHD-VRX as a DVR recorder the close captioning feature is not an option to turn off and on in the menu of the PHD-VRX while playing back a program that was recorded. So I completely understand peoples frustration that need close captioning and the ability to record. Hopefully a firmware update will fix this issue.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 AM

How do these tuners compare to tv tuners as far as sensitivity? I've heard pros and cons. Anybody have any scientific data? My TCL television, which isn't high end, pulls in about 16 stations 27 miles from Boston. I live in a valley and don't have line of site. My signals are 2-edge bending over a hills. It's not the strongest signal and I get affected by various things such as wind, planes and cars driving by. However, for the most part, my signal is reliable except when cable company security forces sabotage the transmitters. My only concern with this unit is that it performs as well as my TCL hdtv tuner. I've tried usb tuners and I was lucky if I got 1 channel. The problem is that people who have line of site and are 15 miles from the transmitter will say how great a tuner is. Any tuner will look great under those circumstances. One commenter who lived in the mountains said that the PHD could not pull in stations that a much older tuner could pull in. Was that an anomaly or is this tuner truly a lower quality tuner than HDTV tuners? I don't want to end up with a paper weight because if I do, I'll be totally convinced that the industry is totally flawed in responding to the OTA craze. They say there is no such thing as a free lunch. Well. that was the original intent of TV. It was suppose to be free with the advertising paying all the overhead. As things are now, I cannot record anything via OTA since HDTV's don't have any output jacks to anything. Therefore, I need an external tuner with recording capabilities. No need to respond if you are LOS, 15 mile people. But, if you have 1edge or 2edge reception, I want to hear from you. If this unit, warts and all, can outperform my HDTV tuner, I'm buying one. My girlfriend has warts and I've learned to work around that.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm hopeful that the bugs will be worked out because it is the best hope I have seen yet for what I'm trying to accomplish.
I have been hoping for over a year now. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
How do these tuners compare to tv tuners as far as sensitivity?
I firmly believe tuner "sensistivity" is probably at it's peak. Not to say it can't improve, but I doubt there is much difference between any current tuner (TV, DVR or a stand along). Unlike models from the past 3 to 7 years where improvements have come from each year.

It's not just "sensitivity", it's more so, 'error correction'. You can have all the sensitivity you need, but if the firmware can't handle the errors, you won't get a usable picture. wink.gif In spite of this being mostly a failure as a DVR (so far), the tuner itself is not. (Note I said "mostly")

Nothing can substitute for a good, high mounted rooftop antenna. It's too bad the best one (by far AFAIC) isn't made anymore. mad.gif Most of what is out there pales by comparison.
Quote:
One commenter who lived in the mountains said that the PHD could not pull in stations that a much older tuner could pull in.
There is always exceptions. Without knowing the exact situation, there probably are other circumstances in his situation.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 AM

I just ordered my ePVision PHD-VRX thru Amazon and it should be arriving by the end of this week. I've been reading thru parts of this thread and came across the temperature measurements of some of the components which has me concerned too - especially since there is no fan. I'm a little concerned about mounting the hard drive inside the PHD-VRX because it's going to add additional heat to the already hot internal environment.

I'm thinking of adding a small muffin fan to the PHD-VRX and maybe leave the hard drive outside just to make sure heat doesn't become an issue down the road. Has anyone done this and is the PHD-VRX power supply capable of supplying 12VDC to a small fan? Otherwise I'll just put a small fan on the outside of the PHD-VRX near the vents and use a wall-wart power supply for the fan.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowneagle View Post

How do these tuners compare to tv tuners as far as sensitivity? I've heard pros and cons. Anybody have any scientific data? My TCL television, which isn't high end, pulls in about 16 stations 27 miles from Boston. I live in a valley and don't have line of site. My signals are 2-edge bending over a hills. It's not the strongest signal and I get affected by various things such as wind, planes and cars driving by. However, for the most part, my signal is reliable except when cable company security forces sabotage the transmitters. My only concern with this unit is that it performs as well as my TCL hdtv tuner. I've tried usb tuners and I was lucky if I got 1 channel. The problem is that people who have line of site and are 15 miles from the transmitter will say how great a tuner is. Any tuner will look great under those circumstances. One commenter who lived in the mountains said that the PHD could not pull in stations that a much older tuner could pull in. Was that an anomaly or is this tuner truly a lower quality tuner than HDTV tuners? I don't want to end up with a paper weight because if I do, I'll be totally convinced that the industry is totally flawed in responding to the OTA craze. They say there is no such thing as a free lunch. Well. that was the original intent of TV. It was suppose to be free with the advertising paying all the overhead. As things are now, I cannot record anything via OTA since HDTV's don't have any output jacks to anything. Therefore, I need an external tuner with recording capabilities. No need to respond if you are LOS, 15 mile people. But, if you have 1edge or 2edge reception, I want to hear from you. If this unit, warts and all, can outperform my HDTV tuner, I'm buying one. My girlfriend has warts and I've learned to work around that.

I am one of those lucky people with line of sight. However if you have reasonable reception with your TV it would be worth your time to investigate the DTVPAL/CM7000PAL if you intend to be OTA only. By all accounts it has a very good tuner. Go to this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic and ask people for information that live in your area. If the TVGOS is good and you can receive it then this is the unit for you NOW. The people on the DTVPAL thread are very good and will help you understand your options for OTA. biggrin.gif
Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:

How do these tuners compare to tv tuners as far as sensitivity? I've heard pros and cons. Anybody have any scientific data? One commenter who lived in the mountains said that the PHD could not pull in stations that a much older tuner could pull in.

That would be me. I got two usable stations with my DTVPal. When I hooked my antenna up to the PHD I got nothing. I kept checking the connections and rescanning. On the 5th scan it finally picked up the two stations, but they were much weaker. One wasn't even viewable.

"How do these tuners compare to tv tuners as far as sensitivity?"
My experience is you will not find a definitive answer to that question. It's not like there is a "Tuner Sensitivity" value listed on the shipping box. I related my experience but others have described a different experience. Obviously there are multiple factors that influence your reception. Note that I have an amplifier on my antenna pole - who knows, maybe that is having a negative effect on the PHD tuner. I haven't had the time to remove it and see if reception improves.

I was thinking about building an HTPC but I had the same question as you - which tuner out there would be the most sensitive? What's the point of buying the equipment and setting everything up, if the external tuner you buy is no better than these settop boxes. So I searched for an answer and found a forum that was entirely devoted to evaluating tuners out there by their sensitivity. The conclusions were: Person A found tuner X better than tuner Y, and person B found tuner Y better than tuner X. The only thing you can do is count the people in Person A's camp and the people in Person's B camp, and take the higher, and hope it works out for you.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM

After reading reviews on Amazon, I'm not sure the cm7000 will suffice. It is a digital to analog converter box. The cm7400 is available but it is almost twice what the phd-vrx is in price. Some purchasers are reporting a lot less channels than using the tv tuner. What the heck do HDTV's do that makes their tuners pull in more stations than stand alone boxes. I just don 't get it. Does the tuner just suddenly become retarded when taken out of a TV and put in a box?
davidmassey1975 likes this.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM

It is extremely frustrating! Honestly, I'm scared to buy any of these units. It almost smells fishy to me. I can't imagine the rate of returns for these types of units. Why doesn't anybody just make a Hdtv that has output jacks; so that you can at least record to dvd sd. We can send a rover to Mars and drive it around the planet remotely; yet we can't build set top box that equals a hdtv in tuner quality and give us the ability to record occasional tv shows. How difficult can it be? As soon as I hear that a purchaser is receiving less stations than with a cheap HDTV, It just deflates my hopes. Who or what is preventing this from happening?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM

My primary purpose for purchasing the ePVision PHD-VRX (which is still on its way from California) was to enable my 1080p video projector to display TV channels and not just watch blueray discs. The recording aspect is just icing on the cake for me but with all of the comments about tuner sensitivity I'm wondering if this thing is going to even work - espcially since our media room is down in the basement where there are no windows to let light wash out the screen image. I do have a plastic conduit pipe running from the utility room in the basement to the attic so I could install an antenna in the attic with a pre-amp. Anyone have any recommendations for a good attic antenna and pre-amp?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You should post your results from www.tvfool.com for suggestions.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

It is extremely frustrating! Honestly, I'm scared to buy any of these units. It almost smells fishy to me. I can't imagine the rate of returns for these types of units. Why doesn't anybody just make a Hdtv that has output jacks; so that you can at least record to dvd sd. We can send a rover to Mars and drive it around the planet remotely; yet we can't build set top box that equals a hdtv in tuner quality and give us the ability to record occasional tv shows. How difficult can it be? As soon as I hear that a purchaser is receiving less stations than with a cheap HDTV, It just deflates my hopes. Who or what is preventing this from happening?

Of course it's fishy. The content providers do everything in their power to make fair use rights as difficult to exercise as possible. They want you to buy shows on discs or pay monthly fees to record or stream them, and letting people output their TV's signal to a DVD burner or making DVRs that do the same would undercut their business model. That and patent litigation are why the only open and pre-built DVR solutions are from companies outside of the United States. Of course, people's desire for ease-of-use is also a factor, and the market for manual recording devices isn't nearly as large as the market for automatic ones.

Just look at how much the paranoia level rose from the DVD era to the Blu-ray era. Blu-ray has far-reaching copy protection that even covers the transmission of information along the cables from the player to the receiver, and failing to adhere to the standards results in players automatically degrading the picture quality as one of many ineffective deterrents to copying. DVDs' CSS protection is primitive in comparison, but both systems are easily broken by people determined to get around them. As is usually the case, the majority of legitimate customers get punished for the actions of the minority and have to jump through many hoops to make things work.

In my experience, LG and its Zenith sub-brand have good tuners, and the TViX 6620 detects all the channels that my LG TV does. Judging by the user experiences on this forum, you will definitely not want a CM-7400, because its tuner is terrible. Whichever Amazon review you read was wrong: the CM-7000 is not a converter box. It is a DVR, and it shares a tuner with the DTVPal that is superior to the one in the CM-7400.

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx