6Likes

post #691 of 2361 Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowneagle View Post

After reading reviews on Amazon, I'm not sure the cm7000 will suffice. It is a digital to analog converter box.

I think you are talking about two different products. The CM 7000 is a converter box but the CM 7000PAL is a DVR with digital tuners (2). Go to the thread I mentioned before and read about the DTV PAL AKA CM 7000PAL. Then ask questions in that forum if you want a good OTA DVR and someone from your area will tell you what kind of reception is available and if TVGOS will work for you. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 2361 Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not sure it's just about copy protection. It seems to have a lot to do with the abolishment of the free tv model. I really don't care about recording to HIdef. I'd just be happy to record to a regular 480 dvd. I cannot believe the road blocks that are put up with people that use ota. If you are willing to pay for your tv service, the options expand exponentially. You cannot record to anything using just your tv tuner and ota. Back in the day, your vcr and television was all you needed. People are starting to push back against corporate greed. Cable and satellite fees, internet fees, cell phone fees. Where the heck does it end? I know people that are 2-3 hundred a month just to stay connected. Well, their business model is starting to blow up in their face. People will always find a way around things or they will just cut the cords. Anyways, I appreciate the responses from everybody and I think I have vented enough. I don't want to distract away from a very good thread about the PHD-VRX. Sorry if I got carried away.
post #693 of 2361 Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 448
To be clear, a VCR was never able to record from a TV. A VCR has its own tuner and consequently requires its own antenna input. The PHD-VRX, the CM-7400, and TViX 6200 are the same and require their own antenna inputs, too. The only "road block" for people with OTA is that there are far fewer DVR manufacturers than there were VCR manufacturers, which makes the selection more limited now than it was then. The principle behind today's units remains the same, and the available features have actually expanded significantly compared with what a VCR could offer. The PHD-VRX is buggy, but you'd be hard pressed to find a VCR that could record two channels at once, unless it had a dual tape deck. biggrin.gif
post #694 of 2361 Old 08-30-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I'm a little concerned about mounting the hard drive inside the PHD-VRX because it's going to add additional heat to the already hot internal environment
I'm thinking of adding a small muffin fan to the PHD-VRX and maybe leave the hard drive outside just to make sure heat doesn't become an issue down the road. Has anyone done this and is the PHD-VRX power supply capable of supplying 12VDC to a small fan?
I thought I took pics of my trial installation, but didn't. Anyway, after mounting a 2" muffin fan with the exhaust aimed inward (exhaust didn't do anything), temperatures dropped substantially. The main processor gets the hottest, 2nd is the memory chip closest to the edge of that main board.
The only 12vdc I could find (that worked) was the dual taps off the PS. Problem is, without a thermistor, the fan runs 24/7 even in standby. frown.gif As I stated, I haven't had a problem, but with this summer, room temperatures over 80 or 85 degrees might be a problem. I did have to re-route those power cords to make room.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #695 of 2361 Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Note that I have an amplifier on my antenna pole - who knows, maybe that is having a negative effect on the PHD tuner.
Not knowing your situation, you could be getting overload from that amp from something other than TV stations (2-way, pagers, or a host of other RF that the VRX might not like. Pre-amps overload very easily since they pickup most everything other than just TV signals. frown.gif

I see a difference between tuners from 2007 and before and tuners manufactured in the past two years. other than that, on this and a three year old TV, I really don't see any difference worth talking about. AFAIC, and already stated, it isn't sensitivity, it's error correction that seems to play the biggest role. wink.gif
Quote:
What's the point of buying the equipment and setting everything up, if the external tuner you buy is no better than these settop boxes.
Between the excessive "RF" inside a PC, the fact PC's are a PITA when it comes to video hardware and the problems with driver & software conflicts, OTA HTPC's aren't worth it AFAIC.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #696 of 2361 Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I can't imagine the rate of returns for these types of units. Why doesn't anybody just make a Hdtv that has output jacks; so that you can at least record to dvd sd.
Talk to the MPAA, NCTA, Hollywood & all the greedy, so called 'content providers' with their "intellectual property" (which is nothing more than a oxymoron). You can blame them! mad.gif

But, if that is all you want to do, take a look here (if HD is not a issue);
http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575
Quote:
I do have a plastic conduit pipe running from the utility room in the basement to the attic so I could install an antenna in the attic with a pre-amp. Anyone have any recommendations for a good attic antenna and pre-amp?
You are half way there, but why the attic?? Put it on the roof where it should be and forget the preamp.
But, you need to go to your local reception thread first and see what others are doing.

post #697 of 2361 Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmassey1975 View Post

...I'm wondering if this thing is going to even work - espcially since our media room is down in the basement where there are no windows to let light wash out the screen image. I do have a plastic conduit pipe running from the utility room in the basement to the attic so I could install an antenna in the attic with a pre-amp. Anyone have any recommendations for a good attic antenna and pre-amp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

... tuner "sensistivity" is probably at it's peak. Not to say it can't improve, but I doubt there is much difference between any current tuner (TV, DVR or a stand along). Unlike models from the past 3 to 7 years where improvements have come from each year.
It's not just "sensitivity", it's more so, 'error correction'. You can have all the sensitivity you need, but if the firmware can't handle the errors, you won't get a usable picture. wink.gif In spite of this being mostly a failure as a DVR (so far), the tuner itself is not. (Note I said "mostly")
Nothing can substitute for a good, high mounted rooftop antenna. It's too bad the best one (by far AFAIC) isn't made anymore. mad.gif Most of what is out there pales by comparison.There is always exceptions. Without knowing the exact situation, there probably are other circumstances in his situation.

What was the best(by far) roof antenna? What is now the best?

(BTW, is there a reason you routinely omit a poster's name when you quote? If the quote provides a link to the quoted post it's much easier to follow the train of thought.)
Quote:

...take a look here (if HD is not a issue);
http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575

An excellent suggestion especially for recording 'on the fly'. These machines don't provide an EPG but many provide a 6 hr. rolling buffer which survives channel changes.
Quote:
You are half way there, but why the attic?? Put it on the roof where it should be and forget the preamp.
But, you need to go to your local reception thread first and see what others are doing.

Unfortunately for various reasons a roof antenna is sometimes not a practical option.

I'd suggest experimenting with whatever antenna resources are available and practical and choosing the best, least complicated one that accomplishes the job.

What works for me isn't supposed to and would be scorned by many 'experts'. My only defense is that it works and works consistently.
post #698 of 2361 Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What was the best(by far) roof antenna? What is now the best?
Then: CM 4228A
Now: Just like DVR's, no idea, nothing impresses me for one reason or another. There is a company from Spain that 'looks' as it might be a choice, but they don't seem that popular here. I started a link on them, but it got little input.Unfortunately for various reasons a roof antenna is sometimes not a practical option. But, that is separate subject for the Technical sub-forum.
Quote:
Unfortunately for various reasons a roof antenna is sometimes not a practical option.
I understand that, but it is still the best route to attempt to take. wink.gif

post #699 of 2361 Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
BTW, is there a reason you routinely omit a poster's name when you quote?
Using the quote function is ok if the post is short, but many aren't. Quoting a overly long post, especially when it is directly preceding you post is not just foolish and necessary, but wastes space. 95% of the time the response is to a specif portion of the post. Why post the whole thing for one sentence. I understand what you are saying, but I hate the abuse of the quote function.

post #700 of 2361 Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Why post the whole thing for one sentence. I understand what you are saying, but I hate the abuse of the quote function.

Me too. I find that editing the post to just the part being addressed is easy. Of course, a long post with 10 questions isn't nice either.
post #701 of 2361 Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

What was the best(by far) roof antenna?
Quote:

CM 4228A
Quote:
Me: Thanks. Is the 4228-HD the same antenna?
---
(BTW, is there a reason you routinely omit a poster's name when you quote? If the quote provides a link to the quoted post it's much easier to follow the train of thought.)
Quote:
You: Using the quote function is ok if the post is short, but many aren't. Quoting a overly long post, especially when it is directly preceding you post is not just foolish and necessary, but wastes space. 95% of the time the response is to a specif portion of the post. Why post the whole thing for one sentence. I understand what you are saying, but I hate the abuse of the quote function.
Quote:
Me: I agree and try to use the quote function appropriately.
---
Unfortunately for various reasons a roof antenna is sometimes not a practical option...
Quote:
You: I understand that, but it is still the best route to attempt to take. wink.gif
Quote:
Me: I agree, if practical, but whatever works rules!biggrin.gif
post #702 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 AM

Nutune has a rather informative pdf file on ATSC technologies & architectures. My electronics knowledge is rather limited but it seems to explain many of the principles involved in designing tuners and their implementation. Obviously, manufacturers are designing silicon tuners because of their price points versus can tuners.

http://www.nutune.com/attachments/article/13/sup_13_ATSC%20&%20QAM%20Technology%20and%20Architectures.pdf

Maybe, someone more knowledgeable than me can use this information. In the meantime, I continue to dig for more information on how this product is designed.
post #703 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Very good find. Too bad it isn't condensed into something more printer friendly. Those 120 pages could probably easily be reduced into less than 30.
Basic information is still valid, but the publication is 6 years old with a table that is 10 years dated. wink.gif

post #704 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 06:55 AM

It also appears that the Nutune fa2317 is now considered obsolete. Nutune appears to have no listing for the component. Earthtron has a listing for the component and they specialize in obsolete components.
The link to Earthtron's listing for the component is http://www.earthtron.com/electronic-components/FA2317.

This information in itself doesn't necessarily mean anything but I'm sure that people much smarter than myself might consider it interesting or useful. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
post #705 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 07:00 AM

to videobruce:

That's why I defer to people like you. My minor in college was electronics but that was a very long time ago.
post #706 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It also appears that the Nutune fa2317 is now considered obsolete. Nutune appears to have no listing for the component. Earthtron has a listing for the component and they specialize in obsolete components.
So much for cutting edge technology. The design is less than 2 years old and the front end is discontinued.
Even better find.

See what you can do with the Broadcom/ATI main chip that I couldn't find anything on.
wink.gif

post #707 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 07:20 AM

I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm off to ride my motorcycle to NH. I'll try later on though. My electronics knowledge is limited but I am a google pro.
post #708 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, even Google strikes out on Nutune.
post #709 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 PM

To videobruce:

I didn't have any more luck than you when it came to the Broadcom main chip but the tua6037 appears to be obsolete as well. Mouser Electronics has that part listed.

Part #: 726-TUA6037F
Manufacturer Part #: TUA 6037F
Manufacturer: Infineon Technologies

Description: Tuners STATIONARY
Lifecycle: Obsolete

I have heard that the electronics companies are having inventory problems and I'm wondering if some of these obsolete parts are showing up in products such as the phd-vrx because they can be had for very cheap prices. This can explain the price point of the phd-vrx. Anyways the Broadcom chip seems to be a current chip but the tuner components seem to made up of obsolete older parts. I'm sure the life cycle on these parts are short. I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean that the phd-vrx tuner is bad but it is also not the most up to date tuner either since it's components have already reached the end of their life cycle.
post #710 of 2361 Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 PM

The original Infineon data sheet for the TUA 6037F is now over five years old(7/20/2007). That's a long time in this business. Either EPVision took a long time to develop this product or they used older parts to save money. Just a thought.
post #711 of 2361 Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Either EPVision took a long time to develop this product or they used older parts to save money.
I would agree on both. Of course, components can half a short life span due to changing technologies and/or lack of demand. That Broadcom chip was introduced last spring (2011)

post #712 of 2361 Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Using the quote function is ok if the post is short, but many aren't. Quoting a overly long post, especially when it is directly preceding you post is not just foolish and necessary, but wastes space. 95% of the time the response is to a specif portion of the post. Why post the whole thing for one sentence. I understand what you are saying, but I hate the abuse of the quote function.

But it's a relatively simple procedure to use the Quote function and then just whack the irrelevant parts (but maintain the link to the original quoted post) from the quote before submitting your post. I've often wondered myself why you don't provide the link to the original post, and sometimes get frustrated while attempting to search it out. Especially with Huddler's sheety thread search functions.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #713 of 2361 Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

It's easier to just copy the text and write out
Code:
[quote name="videobruce"]text[/quote]

by hand than to open multiple tabs or windows with each quote you want to make and then cut and paste them into the same window to get the URL tags necessary for making each quote have a link.
post #714 of 2361 Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It's easier to just copy the text and write out
Code:
by hand than to open multiple tabs or windows with each quote you want to make and then cut and paste them into the same window to get the URL tags necessary for making each quote have a link.

Huh? It's easier to just use "Multi", then whack the extraneous text as desired.

They consider THIS

post #715 of 2361 Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

But it's a relatively simple procedure to use the Quote function and then just whack the irrelevant parts (but maintain the link to the original quoted post) from the quote before submitting your post. I've often wondered myself why you don't provide the link to the original post, and sometimes get frustrated while attempting to search it out. Especially with Huddler's sheety thread search functions.

My point exactly! Here's an example of a post which quotes something that apparently doesn't exist.
Quote:

or, get to it this way:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421478/confused-on-which-ota-dvr-to-purchase-any-advice/30#post_22332927
post #716 of 2361 Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

My point exactly! Here's an example of a post which quotes something that apparently doesn't exist.
or, get to it this way:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421478/confused-on-which-ota-dvr-to-purchase-any-advice/30#post_22332927

Both work for me.
post #717 of 2361 Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Huh? It's easier to just use "Multi", then whack the extraneous text as desired.
One of the new forum software's many failings is broken features with older browsers, but on the bright side, using one that is out of date prevents you from seeing all those time-wasting Javascript-induced "Please Wait" popups that make the screen turn grey whilst showing loading bars.
post #718 of 2361 Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Both work for me.

Both paths to post 32 work for me as well. However, what doesn't work is going back through the thread and actually finding what is quoted in post 32:

post #719 of 2361 Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

.... broken features with older browsers, but on the bright side, using one that is out of date .....

I'm using XP Pro with IE8, not exactly on the cutting edge. But I'm sure there are those among us that are still using Win95 . . .

They consider THIS

post #720 of 2361 Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 10
Our Home Owners Association rules prohibit external antennas :-( We may be moving when and if the economy ever returns to pre-2008 and find a house OUTSIDE of a subdivision so I can put up not just a TV antenna but a Ham Radio antenna!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page