Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 2291 Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
According to FCC OTARD regulations, it is against the law for a homeowner's association to ban outside antennas. But you can always place the antenna in the attic unless you are in a problematic signal reception area. I receive stations from 75 miles with an attic antenna and preamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2291 Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

According to FCC OTARD regulations, it is against the law for a homeowner's association to ban outside antennas....
There is more to the story than that. An HOA cannot impose a blanket ban on outside antennas, but there are cases in which restrictions may apply. The FCC explains that individuals may install antennas on "property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control..."

But, for example, if someone lives on the north side of an apartment building, they may not be able to "see" the part of the sky where the satellite is positioned. I believe some HOAs may allow connection to an antenna some distance away, such as on a roof, but according to the FCC the HOA is not required to be so generous.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Ron (Cox Phoenix AZ) SA 8300HD, Passport Echo 3.1.085, OS PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp
post #723 of 2291 Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

According to FCC OTARD regulations, it is against the law for a homeowner's association to ban outside antennas.

Close, but no cigar!

From http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Q: If I live in a condominium or an apartment building, does this rule apply to me?

A: The rule applies to antenna users who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the antenna user has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit and thus restrictions may prohibit installation that requires such drilling.

Q: Does the rule apply to condominiums or apartment buildings if the antenna is installed so that it hangs over or protrudes beyond the balcony railing or patio wall?

A: No. The rule does not prohibit restrictions on antennas installed beyond the balcony or patio of a condominium or apartment unit if such installation is in, on, or over a common area. An antenna that extends out beyond the balcony or patio is usually considered to be in a common area that is not within the scope of the rule. Therefore, the rule does not apply to a condominium or rental apartment unit unless the antenna is installed wholly within the exclusive use area, such as the balcony or patio.
Quote:
...you can always place the antenna in the attic unless you are in a problematic signal reception area. I receive stations from 75 miles with an attic antenna and preamp.

An attic antenna often provides reception nearly as good as a roof antenna and isn't subject to wind damage.

Reception issues are often unique to a location's circumstances. For example I receive seven channels from Vancouver, BC, 50+ miles away, using an amplified indoor antenna.

The unique circumstances at my location are that the major Vancouver channels all broadcast from locations close to each other at about 2000 ft. elevation within Mt. Seymour Provincial Park. At only 200 ft. elevation I have close to a LOS view only impeded by nearby tree branches and a wood wall. A roof antenna would be behind the same tree branches as my indoor antenna, just be ten feet higher.
post #724 of 2291 Old 09-03-2012, 05:50 AM

I received my PHD-VRX last week, but I didn't have time to start setting it up till last night (9/2). I have a rooftop antenna, and I got all of the channels scanned in to tuner 1 correctly. It actually picks up a few channels that my 2 year old Samsung HDTV does not.

I managed to correct the overscan on the HDMI output so that it looks OK on my TV. The tint seems a little different, but I can live with it.

I formatted a 16gig flash drive to ext2 (I know that flash drives are not recommended, but this is just temporary until I buy an HDD).

I did one test recording using the manual setup. It didn't start recording when it was supposed to, but I think that I didn't have the "Active" box checked. I edited it (and changed the start time to later) and it kicked in, but it first displayed a message asking whether I want to record, because the tuner was on a different channel. When I answered OK it started recording.

A few questions to the expert members on this Forum -

If I am not there to answer the question regarding starting the recording will it start recording anyway?

How do you control the resolution (and aspect ratio) of the recording. There don't seem to be any adjustments in the manual schedule setup. When I press the V.Mode button on the remote it comes up with a message saying "Not Supported Mode".

On the System Information screen it says that I have Buil Version VRX.242.20.14 and TV-Micro version 2.10. Do I need to download any updates?

Thanks for your help.
post #725 of 2291 Old 09-03-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 104
To answer your three questions;
Yes,
You can't. With just about all, non analog DVR's, it's fixed at the native resolution of the source,
That is the most recent firmware.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #726 of 2291 Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
The DVR doesn't transcode, so you can't change the resolution of recordings. It would need powerful hardware to recompress video on the fly, which would have raised the cost of the unit.
post #727 of 2291 Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Thank you for your replies.

When i record a program I can play it back OK. When I move the drive to my PC (Windows 7) I can see an mpg and nav file. When I try to play it with MPC-HC it says "file not found". When I try to copy the files to my PC it says "file name invalid". When I try to rename the file on the original file it also says "file name invalid".

I have the ext2fsd manager running.

What am I doing wrong?
post #728 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Have you installed the drivers?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #729 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM

Since the ext2fsd Manager runs, and I can see the files I think that the drivers are installed. Am I wrong? How do I check? How do I install the drivers?
post #730 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I used the "Ext2 Installable File System 1.11a". It just installs drivers. You used the "Ext2Fsd-0.51.exe", correct?

post #731 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM

Correct, and I just re-installed it but that didn't help.

I downloaded the system you recommended. During install there was some message regarding compatibility with various version of Windows through Vista, but no mention of Win 7.

The behavior of the files did not change. I still can't play or copy them.
post #732 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't believe I actually tried that. Uninstall that and try the drivers only from the other link.
Do you have to run the program to see the drive & contents or can you do so within a Explorer window?

post #733 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 AM

I can see it in an Explorer window. If I double click on the mpg file it launches MPC-HC (I have made that the default), but then it says "File not found".
post #734 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Open MPC first, then open that file from the program.

post #735 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM

I tried that. It still comes up with "file not found" on the bottom of the MPC screen.
post #736 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM

I did another recording and now it is working correctly. The file name of my first test recording had a question mark in it, the new one doesn't. It seems that that is the problem. The new mpg file can be copied to my PC and it plays well with the MPC-HC player.

The size of the mpg file from a 100 minute recording is more than 11 gb !! I guess that there is no way to make it smaller. I will need a really huge hard disk.

I have seen on some earlier posts that setting the DVR to record the same show every day of the week (preferrably only Mon.-Fri.) does not work right. Has anyone found any way to do this short of entering a manual schedule for every single day?

Thanks for all the help.
post #737 of 2291 Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
The file is large because MPEG-2 is an old and inefficient format that requires high bitrates to make high resolutions look decent. DVD uses the same format for its 720x480 resolution, so 1280x720 and 1920x1080 require proportionally higher bitrates. Depending on the number of sub-channels the station has and whether it does 720p or 1080i, you can expect 60 minutes of programming to consume 4, 6, or 8 GiB / hour. In comparison, SD content may take 1 - 2 GiB / hour, again depending on how much bitrate the station is allocating.

If you want to archive programs in a more efficient manner, you can use video editing software to remove the commercials and then transcode to a newer format, such as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, which could easily cut the file size in half. The problem with that is transcoding high-resolution video takes a long time and significant computing power. You would definitely want a fast quad-core processor at your disposal to consider doing it on a regular basis.
post #738 of 2291 Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How did a question mark get into that file name? Just how did you transfer the file in the 1st place?

post #739 of 2291 Old 09-05-2012, 04:32 AM

There was a question mark in the names of both the mpg and nav files when I looked at the files on the drive after plugging it into my PC. I have no idea how they got there.

Do you have any solution on how to set up to record the same 2 hour slot every day (Mon.-Fri.) ?

Thanks for your help.
post #740 of 2291 Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Has that happened any other time with another recording?
Sounds as something the O/S is doing to the file.

post #741 of 2291 Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 AM

It happened the first time I plugged the drive into my PC. Since then I have only made 2 more recordings and they are fine.
post #742 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 AM

Do you have any solution on how to set up to record the same 2 hour slot every day (Mon.-Fri.) ?

Thanks for your help.
post #743 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The posts from the member who discovered that was back around a month ago. I don't think there is a work around other than not using that and just repeating the entry every time you want the program. I'm sure they are feverishly working on the problem (along with the 60 or so others). rolleyes.gif

post #744 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgros View Post

Thanks for your help.
Since the last update all my repeats have been working fine (Weekly, Daily).
post #745 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

jhr1948 was the ,member who posted about the one time "daily" recording issue;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-owners-thread/630#post_22311159

I tried it and the same behavior, that "active" check box gets unchecked after the 1st recording.

post #746 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

jhr1948 was the ,member who posted about the one time "daily" recording issue;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-owners-thread/630#post_22311159
I tried it and the same behavior, that "active" check box gets unchecked after the 1st recording.

There are two separate issues here:

1. I'm saying that my repeats work okay, in that the recordings are being made.

2. You're talking about whether repeats are getting the green check mark in the Upcoming Recordings list. No, they're not. That issue is unresolved. But that has no effect on the timers - they fire.
post #747 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Isn't tgros having a issue with a daily recording or did I miss something?

post #748 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

If you mean TVGOS, it has no issues with any recordings. Well, maybe updates can lag due to the conventions. I record Letterman and (except for no "new" option) it has been fine. TiVo has not done much better.
post #749 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I could be wrong but my impression was he didn't even try it, but just assumed it wouldn't work because of earlier comments.
post #750 of 2291 Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I could be wrong but my impression was he didn't even try it, but just assumed it wouldn't work because of earlier comments.

Keeping with the thread, the VRX has nothing to do with TVGOS. At least I hope so. Either does TiVo. Perhaps the Tribune data base is used, but that may be a WAG.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page