6Likes

post #751 of 2361 Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Keeping with the thread, the VRX has nothing to do with TVGOS. At least I hope so. Either does TiVo. Perhaps the Tribune data base is used, but that may be a WAG.
Nobody's talking about TVGOS. He mentioned tgros, a previous poster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 2361 Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I could be wrong but my impression was he didn't even try it, but just assumed it wouldn't work because of earlier comments.

That is correct. I have not tried it yet. I am still waiting for the HDD I ordered on line. Right now I am using a 16gig flash drive, which is not large enough for multiple day recordings.

Thanks for your help.
post #753 of 2361 Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Nobody's talking about TVGOS. He mentioned tgros, a previous poster.
oops
post #754 of 2361 Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 175
With all the experiance with TVGOS, that would be one of the last things I would get mixed up with. wink.gif

Is it two weeks yet for the next promised firmware update?? biggrin.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #755 of 2361 Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 AM

Two issues:

1. It has already been reported, and I confirmed, when playing back recordings made on weaker channels, the player repeatedly skips ahead a few seconds.

2. Play back occasionly freezes. If you wait 20-30 seconds the recording will resume.

I'm wondering if both these issues are side-effects of a less than robust error correction. You recall the comment that it's not just the tuner's sensitivity but also the software's error correction, that effects how well it pulls in stations.
post #756 of 2361 Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Two different issues I would say.
Excessive errors & loss of data due to signal conditions is one problem. The way the playback system handles it is another. Similar to DVD playback, dropouts due to disc imperfections or just a bad burn produce similar results. Different players handle it differently.
AFAIC, this is not usable as a DVR. It's great as a tuner as HDTV1080p states, but a up to date functioning DVR, absolutely not! I still believe in the product, it's who is trying to peddle it, I don't.

And to the one post newbie, there is and was no nitpicking in my list. If I was to "nitpick", the list would be 2x longer.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #757 of 2361 Old 09-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Two different issues I would say.
Excessive errors & loss of data due to signal conditions is one problem. The way the playback system handles it is another. Similar to DVD playback, dropouts due to disc imperfections or just a bad burn produce similar results. Different players handle it differently.

So what causes the two issues? Recording or playback?

The next time I encounter a recording with either of these two issues, I'll move it over to my laptop and play it there, and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, it's the playback module. If it does, it's the recording module.
post #758 of 2361 Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Updated Post #1 to the owners manual (2nd minor revision) and added their comparison between this and their Media Switcher.
Still no firmware updates. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Corrections needed in the manual (revised 9/12/12);

Page 12; Add "Skip" to #10 Actions for the Previous & Next buttons.

Page 18; Add "or two antennas" to #5 for the 'Tuner Source Select".

Page 20; Change "Video" (which should be Recordings) to 'Media Player'.

Page 23; There is no mention that these audio controls are only for the HDMI output! They have no effect foe analog or optical.

Page 26; Additional information is needed regarding the terms "physical" and "virtual". Very few have any idea of either term.

Page 27; There is no details on how to create a custom label for a input.

Page 31; Add the choice of "both" under 'Manual Time Setting" (from the previous page).

Page 39; The 3rd note before "Media Player", change "main menu" to 'sub-menu' and add the limitation that the Main menu is not available.

Page 40; Regarding the 1st paragraph, add the fact that the audio settings only affect the HDMI output,

Page 42; The 3rd paragraph, "Start time and End time", add that only the start time can be adjusted early and the end time adjusted late.

Page 43; Add if you modify the recording start/stop times, it won't show in the list. Also, Under "Recorded Shows", add that recording will show even if the drive is not connected or the recording was deleted.

Page 44; Add to "USB Disk Status" the speed test will only remain as long as the DVR is powered up. If you place it in standby, then power back up, the results of the test will not be saved, even if the drive was never disconnected. (other revision was made)

Page 45; 1st paragraph, change "may" to "will" regarding formatting the drive to ext2. And my long standing major issue:
There is absolutely nothing stating the apparent fact that the drive has to be already formatted to use their formatting utility. Which means they are assuming this is not a "bare drive, but one of those "packaged" combo enclosure HDDs that is already formatted.

Page 54; Last paragraph, change page "5" to page 56.

Page 55; Under "Program Guide Recording", halfway down, change page "1 and 2" to page '52 and 53'.

(two minor changes were made with this 2nd revision)

post #759 of 2361 Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 AM

I had another recording that had the issue of repeatedly jumping ahead a few seconds. I moved it over to my laptop and played it with my GOM player and it played fine, so it's the PHD's video player that has the issue. I thought it only happened with recordings made on weaker channels, but that's not true. Recordings on other channels get occasional pixilation but not jumping ahead. So it's only on a single channel as far as I can tell.
post #760 of 2361 Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Then it has to be a issue with that station (or some weird incompatibility between the DVR and that station). I have read similar issues with other DVR's in different markets that had to do with a single station. I don;t remember what the resolve was, or if there is one.
Start first by contacting their engineering department if you can. Don't bother with e-mails since few stations answer them.
Specific program?
Specific time of day?
How about recording in another area. Friends or relatives, in case it is a reception/interference?

post #761 of 2361 Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 AM

Just as an update, my unit is working fine. The scheduled daily recordings are all being done correctly.

Overall, I am satisfied with my unit. The quality of the recordings is quite good, although the color tone (shading?) is still not perfect, it is good enough.

My only complaint is the list of recordings shown when you want play one of them is in alphabetical order. I would much prefer to have them listed chronologically.
post #762 of 2361 Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 AM

I recorded Grey's Anatomy and it wound up being one of the skip-ahead-every-few-minutes type of recordings. I edited the file with VideoReDo and saved it as a .mpg file. When I played that file on the PHD the symptoms now changed. The video was continuous but the audio had the skips. So VideoReDo fixed the video but not the audio. I then copied the edited file over to my TVIX where it PLAYED CORRECTLY.

I wonder if this is a problem with the codec the PHD is using? Or could it be a Linux problem? The TVIX HDD is NTFS and it seems to be Windows, not Linux.
post #763 of 2361 Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 AM

I tried hooking up my antenna again, both with and without my CM amplifyier, and I got zilch. Whoever said this device has great tuners must have their tv towers right across the street!
post #764 of 2361 Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Or it's a awfully good amp.
AFAIC, all the current 'tuners' perform about the same. I'm sure there are specific situations where a slight difference could be detected due to reflections (multipath) or some type of outside interference. Every situation is different. I don't know your market (or wherever you live, since it's not listed under your username), so I have no clue what you are up against.

post #765 of 2361 Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Or it's a awfully good amp.
AFAIC, all the current 'tuners' perform about the same. I'm sure there are specific situations where a slight difference could be detected due to reflections (multipath) or some type of outside interference. Every situation is different. I don't know your market (or wherever you live, since it's not listed under your username), so I have no clue what you are up against.

I'm doing a direct comparison between the DTVPal and the PHD. The DTVPal is far superior in my opinion.
post #766 of 2361 Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How about comparing a TV (or two) or some other tuner?

Then either there is a issue with your VRX, you have a exceptional DTVPal, and/or you have something else going on that the VRX doesn't like or can't handle.

Doesn't the DTVPal have a built in preamp??

post #767 of 2361 Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM

> "Then there is a issue with your VRX"

That's possible.

> "Doesn't the DTVPal have a built in preamp?"

Early on in the DTVPal forum, a user had opened the box and noted it had amplifiers. I think he said it was to offset the loss from the signal being split.

I recall earlier in this thread someone had researched the source of parts to the PHD and had tracked the tuners down and said they were outdated models. No one disputed that.

The PHD is only useful to me because it can record cable. But even with that advantage, some of the cable recordings are unviewable as I've recently reported.

Still waiting for something better to come along....
post #768 of 2361 Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Still waiting for something better to come along....

So are many others. Maybe we should start a "Waiting for ....." thread.
post #769 of 2361 Old 09-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I left the PHD-VRX on for over a month on a strong QAM channel without using it at all. I can report the PHD-VRX is stable being used as a tuner since there was no lockups at all and after a month I turned on my Pioneer monitor and the picture and sound with a strong signal was still occurring from the PHD-VRX. As I said before 99% of my TV watching is Blu-ray discs as one can see from the example above.

I realize there are still some issues with this PHD-VRX when it comes to recording. It looks like the latest firmware update was VRX.242.20.14 which was released on 8-12-2012. Hopefully in the future we will see some firmware updates to correct the many bugs that have been reported.

I still plan on keeping this subscription free dual tuner box with dual RF inputs since I know of no other external dual RF input box on the market except the TIVO. The EPVision software team just needs to fix the bugs in this product and then it would be a high-end quality product.
post #770 of 2361 Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I agree, there are some bugs that do need to be fixed, but overall i'm pretty satisfied. I only needed something to watch tv on my projector, but i have started to record a few shows that i scheduled. so far everything seems to be ok.

FYI, I do not have any expirience with any other OTA HD Tuners, so I have nothing to compare it to.
post #771 of 2361 Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 AM

Here's a heads-up:

All my timers stopped working again. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I tracked down why.

I had set the clock to 'Manual' because the auto setting wasn't accurate enough. I had occasion to completely power down the PHD using the button on the left side of the box. When I brought it back up, the timers stopped working. I went into setup and reset the date/time, but that didn't help. I deleted all timers and again powered down/up the box and reset the time. I set some new timers, but none fired.

I found if I went into setup and changed the Time to 'Auto', the timers started firing. I now have to test if I go back to manual the timers continue to fire. I think they will.

The moral is to make sure Date/Time is set to 'Auto' if you power down the box.
post #772 of 2361 Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Then, if you set the clock to manual, the scheduled recordings won't record? Are these weekly recordings or one time?
I have set the clock to manual due to it changing the time fro a few hours and a odd amount of minutes on certain stations and didn't se a record problem. But, these were only a handful of test recordings. Due the the current mostly unusable state of the firmware, I don't use it.

post #773 of 2361 Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Then, if you set the clock to manual, the scheduled recordings won't record? Are these weekly recordings or one time?
I have set the clock to manual due to it changing the time fro a few hours and a odd amount of minutes on certain stations and didn't se a record problem. But, these were only a handful of test recordings. Due the the current mostly unusable state of the firmware, I don't use it.

Have you powered down the unit like I said?
post #774 of 2361 Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't used it as a DVR in probably a month. I leave if powered down except on the rare occasion that I want to use it as a 'tuner'. to check station reception status.
This basically replaced the older 205 tuner. wink.gif

post #775 of 2361 Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10
I have had this unit for about a month. I personally think it's a fantastic box for what it does. A little pricey but if the company backs the product up with firmware and support it will be worth it. I have an external HDD I use to record shows. It records great, even 2 programs at once. I wish I could record one while watching another but it doesn't work. I am also using it to stream movies from a NAS drive. Works great!
I had a problem 2 week ago, once at that time, where the only key that worked on the remote was the power off button. I powered off and then back on and it worked fine until last night. It then did it again but this time it failed again right away with the same problem. Used the main power button next time and it did the same thing. Even on the box only the power off button worked. I then reset the box in the menu and it worked for about 4 hours last night before failing again. Today I reloaded the firmware. So far it is still working after 4.5 hours. I will let you know if it does it again.

Astroidor
post #776 of 2361 Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM

All of my daily (weekday) recordings, so far, have been on a single channel, and the unit has always been on and set to that channel. All of the recordings went OK. Today the unit was set to a different channel when the time for the recording came, and it did not start recording.

Isn't the unit supposed to change to the channel specified in the schedule and start recording? Would it better if the unit was off (standby) when the recording is supposed to start?

Thanks for your help.
post #777 of 2361 Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Hey everyone:

I received my box a few days ago. There are some issues that had me thinking of returning the thing.
I have a Western Digital 400 gig ext hard drive that was causing some jerky, jump-jump recording of one of my channels. Now I think that maybe my antenna connection was a little off, thereby causing the problem. Today I haven't seen any herky-jerky problems. Also I noticed that the recorded picture was a lot darker than the pre recorded picture. I initially thought that the remote locked up during video play, but then I was able to bring up the quick function and adjust the picture quality. So picture quality is no longer a concern. I did notice that the skin tone on the PHD is crappier than on my Samsung LCD TV.
Also, when I first connected my ext drive to the box, the message said "hard drive not supported. Check your connection" (paraphrasing). This scared the crap out of me, but eventually it 'found' it. Also, I pre formatted the hard drive before formatting it again to ext/2 wihin the menue selection. The hard drive formatted in just a few minutes. Pre formatting before ext/2 was 6 megabits (or whatever the tech jargon is). After the formatting, it was up to 23 or so .

OK. Here's my question. Please respond.

When I try to record a signal that is SD 480, it stretches the recording into a very squeezed display. Is there a workaround that will allow me to watch an SD 480 so that it is a near mirror copy?

All hope is not lost as I have a DVD recorder that is hooked up to the box's composite out. It records SD 480 as 480 with no squeeze.

Also, I hooked my infrared headphones to the composite audio out, and the sound quality was just as good as the TV's composite audio out. It's not 5.1, though. But if I want to record to my DVD recorder, I have to switch the audio out plugs from headphones to recorder.

I guess I'll keep this POS. But now I'm thinking of buying another set of headphones and a coax splitter......more $$$. When will it ever stop?????
post #778 of 2361 Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Isn't the unit supposed to change to the channel specified in the schedule and start recording? Would it better if the unit was off (standby) when the recording is supposed to start?
Yes and it doesn't matter.
Quote:
Pre formatting before ext/2 was 6 megabits (or whatever the tech jargon is). After the formatting, it was up to 23 or so .
6 MB/s is the NTFS file system, 23 MB/s is the ext2 file system as discussed in post #2.
Quote:
When I try to record a signal that is SD 480, it stretches the recording into a very squeezed display. Is there a workaround that will allow me to watch an SD 480 so that it is a near mirror copy?
Change your aspect to "Normal".
Quote:
I have a DVD recorder that is hooked up to the box's composite out.
Why?? Take the recording off the HDD, xfer it to your PC with the ext2 drivers installed and edit and burn the recording to a DVD, again as discussed in post #2.
Quote:
I hooked my infrared headphones to the composite audio out, and the sound quality was just as good as the TV's composite audio out. It's not 5.1, though.
That would be the analog audio out. Composite refers to video. With headphones, how could it be anything other than two channel stereo? Where is your audio system? confused.gif

As many problems as this has, due to the poorly written firmware, it surely isn't a POS.

post #779 of 2361 Old 10-12-2012, 01:45 AM

"change your aspect to Normal"
With the aspect on 'Normal', the finished result has bars on the top and on the sides of the video when recording SD480. I was hoping for bars on the sides only. Didn't you or someone say that the initial firmware allowed recording in 480, but subsequent firmware updates didn't have that option?

OK. Here's a new problem:
When I record NBC,CBS, Fox and ABC, I have no problem with the recorded video. But when I record PBS, I get a video that skips. The recorded timeline will go something like 2..skip..9..skip..14..15..23..30. (in seconds). This happens whether I'm using my ext/2 harddrive or my NTFS harddrive or my NTFS flashdrive. Exact same problem.

So I'm wondering if the Seattle PBS station has included some kind of code into their signal that alters the recording of its signal. I guess if people with Tivos can record PBS, then it must be some other reason I'm having this problem.
post #780 of 2361 Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
With the aspect on 'Normal', the finished result has bars on the top and on the sides of the video when recording SD480.
Sounds as it's a issue with your TV. have you tried another?
Quote:
Didn't you or someone say that the initial firmware allowed recording in 480, but subsequent firmware updates didn't have that option?
Correct. This had a 480p choice, but it was removed. It's in my "laundry list". They didn't think it was necessary as so with the analog noise reduction that was removed since they didn't notice a difference even though on the high setting there was.

Regarding your PBS affiliate issue, I have seen that posted before elsewhere and I thought here too with certain stations. Other then the stations you listed, do you have others that you can view? Go to your local reception thread and post there if anyone else has issues. Also call the station (don't e-mail, they probably won't answer) and talk with engineering (if you can). Are you sure it isn't a reception issue? Record something and watch it live noting if there is any problem. Then playback the recording and see what and when it happens, if there is any re-occurrence that can be timed.

BTW, add your location under your username. It makes things easier when there is a reception or local CATV issue. wink.gif

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page