Advertisement

post #1022 of 2349 Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Update ePVision.com

Hi David,

PHD-VRX currently supports free EPG data, which is provided by your local TV stations. If you use OTA (over-the-air) signal, your TV stations will broadcast the EPG data. The length of the EPG data (how many days) will be determined by your TV statioWe have no controntrol of it. We only display EPG data whatever we received. For your local cable company, they normally won't send these EPG data from their QAM channels. Again, it depends your local cable company, we have no control of You can call your local cable company or TV stations to ask them to send out the data.ata.

Later on, we will make unit linkable with a 3rd party EPG service provider. Once you pay them yearly fee directly (we don't involve any fee with them), you can log in your user name and password in the PHD-VRX unit, then you will have 14 days full EPG data on OTA channels, not on cable channels because cable QAM channel has the total different channel mapping. Thanks again.

Support Team
ePVision.com
post #1023 of 2349 Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
14 days full EPG data on OTA channels, not on cable channels because cable QAM channel has the total different channel mapping.
Then you might as well remove the QAM capability all together. Of course that could be solved by allowing editing the channel numbers.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1024 of 2349 Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Then you might as well remove the QAM capability all together. Of course that could be solved by allowing editing the channel numbers.
If they allowed such editing it would probably not fix the issue of SDV or the repeated changing of channels.
post #1025 of 2349 Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok, so it seems the channel itself is actually just completely wrong, it is FX, but it is showing on EST instead of PST, so its my service provider. thanks for the help though!
post #1026 of 2349 Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If they allowed such editing it would probably not fix the issue of SDV or the repeated changing of channels.
It's not expected to.
1. As you know SDV channels are encrypted which means you ain't going to get them anyway, so it's of no issue,
2. Physical channel changes do happen, but not that often. That isn't that hard to fix as long as the ability is there. The OTA virtual channel number does not.

There is no valid reason why this isn't available. The beloved TiVo has the same major shortfall among many others .

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1027 of 2349 Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

On a separate subject (issue) recently brought up by EricDesbiens, I have been trying to duplicate this record problem on tuner 1 while watching a recording and have not been able to.

Not been able to duplicate or to record while watching?
post #1028 of 2349 Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I was puzzled when I read about this issue since I never saw it or were there any other reports. Unless I missed something here.
I've recorded two programs at the same time while watching another and I saw no issues to the recordings. I will remove this from the laundry list since there is enough there already.

post #1029 of 2349 Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 11
Is Epvision really working on the laundry list and are they scheduling a firmware update .. they seem to be dead silent about this ??
post #1030 of 2349 Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Call or e-mail them and ask. Post back the response.

The double Guide (one for each tuner) and the lack of quick access to manual recording that allows multiple entries without re-entertaining the screen are the two biggest issues. Third to that is the false contouring problem, but I suspect that is a hardware issue though it doesn't always show, it's dependent on program material. I noticed that almost immediately during the first day last spring when they sent me one. I dismissed it due to all the other flaws and lack of input to numerous questions on basic functions starting with that damn format utility which I wasted days on.

post #1031 of 2349 Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM

My list is I have one channel that skips ever few sen up to a 3 min skip. Note this is on the play back side I try the HDD on my cpu and the recording works great just can not play it on the PHD-VRX

I do like see one guide for all channels and a auto select and tuner (1&2) would be good recordings.

Dave
post #1032 of 2349 Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM

Hi All, I have the following connections and am experiencing some lip synch issues, did anyone else have this ? I don't recall seing anything on this here..

Video path : phd-oppo-plasma all via HDMI
Audio : pdh-oppo HDMI
post #1033 of 2349 Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Verizon FIOS offers the local HD and SD ATSC channels in a bit for bit master broadcast quality with no extra video compression added when converted to QAM (picture and audio quality on the Verizon FIOS local HD and SD channels is the same as the native broadcast signal). Also around 80% of the Verizon FIOS channels have the EPG data. All the local HD in the clear channels that I checked have the EPG data on the Verizon FIOS system.

Now some cable companies will add extra video compression to local HD and SD channels and the picture quality will not be as good when compared to ones local broadcast station. Also some cable companies might remove the EPG data from the ATSC bitstream before converting it to QAM.

Within 3 years there might be many cable systems that might start encrypting all QAM channels since they are now allowed to do so under the new FCC rules. Then the in the clear QAM tuner feature will not be able to be used anymore. The only reason I purchased the PHD-VRX is because it offers a dual RF input with a dual channel map (technically 4 channel maps). If my local cable company every decides to encrypt 100% of all QAM channels then I will most likely will switch to another tuner device that has less bugs. The day might come when all I need is ATSC only or a TIVO device that offers both ATSC and a cablecard option.
post #1034 of 2349 Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post

Hi All, I have the following connections and am experiencing some lip synch issues, did anyone else have this ? I don't recall seing anything on this here..

Video path : phd-oppo-plasma all via HDMI
Audio : pdh-oppo HDMI

Try connecting the PHD-VRX directly to your plasma display to see if the lip sync issue goes away. If the lip sync issue only occurs while the PHD-VRX is connected to the OPPO player then check your menu settings in the OPPO to see if there is an option to adjust HDMI lip sync issues(Also make sure you have the latest firmware update from OPPO Digital Inc installed). Reporting the problem to OPPO Digital customer service is another option.

The only main advantage of using an OPPO BDP-103/105 as a HDMI switching device is if the HDMI tuner offers a native source direct mode. Since the PHD-VRX does not offer a native source direct mode and instead it sends 1080P to the OPPO HDMI input, this means the OPPO player video processor will not upscale the signal to 1080P since the signal is already 1080P. Now if you owned a Quad HD display then the OPPO BDP-103/105 would upscale the 1080P signal from the PHD-VRX to Quad HD. If or when a future firmware update to the PHD-VRX offers native source direct feature then you could feed a 480i,720P, or 1080i signal from the PHD-VRX into the reference quality OPPO video processors to offer an excellent 1080P upscale picture quality to your plasma.
post #1035 of 2349 Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Update on EPG for Fresn/Clovis CA

Dave-

We were having problems but I believe they are completely resolved.

Please confirm yours is working fine.

Thanks.

Matthew A. Rosenfeld

President/General Manager

KSEE-NBC24 Fresno, CA

KSEE WeatherPlus Fresno, CA

LATV la alternativo Fresno, CA
post #1036 of 2349 Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 AM

Hi HDTV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

Try connecting the PHD-VRX directly to your plasma display to see if the lip sync issue goes away. If the lip sync issue only occurs while the PHD-VRX is connected to the OPPO player then check your menu settings in the OPPO to see if there is an option to adjust HDMI lip sync issues(Also make sure you have the latest firmware update from OPPO Digital Inc installed). Reporting the problem to OPPO Digital customer service is another option.

The lip synch issue appears to be on the bpd105 side. I could not do a direct feed test as my plasma planel is the panasonic pro without speakers. Oppo should correct this within the next 2-3weeks.What a service they offer, absolutely amazing.. maybee epvision should listen a bit

The only main advantage of using an OPPO BDP-103/105 as a HDMI switching device is if the HDMI tuner offers a native source direct mode. Since the PHD-VRX does not offer a native source direct mode and instead it sends 1080P to the OPPO HDMI input, this means the OPPO player video processor will not upscale the signal to 1080P since the signal is already 1080P. Now if you owned a Quad HD display then the OPPO BDP-103/105 would upscale the 1080P signal from the PHD-VRX to Quad HD. If or when a future firmware update to the PHD-VRX offers native source direct feature then you could feed a 480i,720P, or 1080i signal from the PHD-VRX into the reference quality OPPO video processors to offer an excellent 1080P upscale picture quality to your plasma.

My panel is 1366*768p so all depending on the native signal and the performace of my panel it becomes a bit tricky..

Pana usually prefers 720p and will upconvert to 768p
if the native signal is 720p, then stting the phd at 720p works, oppo cleans up the signal and improves the colors (yes I can confirm this) and the oppo is set at 720p
if the native signal is 1080i then the phd downconverts it to 720p, this is where I would rather have a direct feed to oppo at 1080i and let the bdp bring it down to 720p

The dry answer I got from epvision is the source direct at 1080i is not possible as it is a hardware limitation.. and I am not buying this for a second
post #1037 of 2349 Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Can PHD-VRX output audio through HDMI or Is audio output only through optical ???
Thanks
post #1038 of 2349 Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post

Can PHD-VRX output audio through HDMI or Is audio output only through optical ???
Thanks
I believe HDMI audio is 2ch stereo only. Optical can be 5.1 if the content has it. Search the thread for 5.1.
post #1039 of 2349 Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Did a 5.1 search.
It does not sound good.
It has been a long time since I've had to use an optical cable.

What was ePvision thinking...?
post #1040 of 2349 Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post

Hi HDTV...
My panel is 1366*768p so all depending on the native signal and the performace of my panel it becomes a bit tricky..

Pana usually prefers 720p and will upconvert to 768p
if the native signal is 720p, then stting the phd at 720p works, oppo cleans up the signal and improves the colors (yes I can confirm this) and the oppo is set at 720p
if the native signal is 1080i then the phd downconverts it to 720p, this is where I would rather have a direct feed to oppo at 1080i and let the bdp bring it down to 720p

The dry answer I got from epvision is the source direct at 1080i is not possible as it is a hardware limitation.. and I am not buying this for a second

If you have a stereo system or a surround sound system that accepts optical then in theory you should be able to fix the lip sync issue by running optical from the PHD-VRX directly to your 2.0 stereo system using PCM or Dolby Digital AC3 bitstream to a surround sound system.

It is my understanding that the PHD-VRX hardware in theory can support interlaced video at 480i and 1080i over HDMI and even 5.1 Dolby Digital over HDMI. ***However the problem is the existing PHD-VRX software/firmware does not support 480i,1080i, and 5.1 Dolby Digital over HDMI. *** Someone correct me if I am wrong but the Broadcam chip specs appears to support interlaced video and Dolby Digital over HDMI.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-owners-thread#post_22103077

Now if the PHD-VRX really does have a hardware limitation that does not allow it to support 480i, 1080i, and Dolby Digital bitstream over HDMI then the EpVision company should let everyone know that so consumers stop requesting those features. If the PHD-VRX can only support progressive video then at the very minimum 480P resolution option should be added for some very old EDTV flat screens that use 480P over DVI connections.
post #1041 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Can PHD-VRX output audio through HDMI
Yes, but it is only 2.0 stereo. Optical does allow 5.1 though. See post #915 entry 6c;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-owners-thread/900#post_22684664
Quote:
at the very minimum 480P resolution option should be added for some very old EDTV flat screens that use 480P over DVI connections.
480p was enabled up to the 2nd firmware update I received, but it was disabled for some known reason. It's on the list to be added back. So was the analog noise reduction that did help, but only at the highest setting.

I'm still looking for, at least a block diagram for this Broadcom BCM35230 chip. wink.gif

post #1042 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Can any one add to the list of TROUBLESHOOTING list below

****** TROUBLESHOOTING ********

< ERROR > * Solution *

1) Rebooting does not work the first time * * * unplug all the USB and LAN and reboot
2) TV is black on start up * * * turn off TV waits 20 sec and turn back on
3) During Recording is black screen * * * Turn off unplug USB HDD Turn on wait till screen is back and plug in USB HDD
4) Guide does not display on some channels * * * Contact local Broadcasting Station >> * Cause: By your local Broadcasting Station. Note: They may have more than one channel with the error
post #1043 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Where did you get all of that? From them?
#2 is a typical HDMI handshaking issue.

post #1044 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Some information came from epvision and some from others that has work for me pasted
I do not know if it is a HDMI handshaking I think this is a programing error that need to be fix some
I have found it can take days to get any thing out epvision and after one o two time I have had to change email address for get the info back.mad.gif

Dave
post #1045 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Now you know what I went through last spring and why I'm frustrated with this and some other DVR's. wink.gif

post #1046 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM

I would think fee back would be a great help on a new item. Also just posting some where a trouble shooting guide would cut down on the email, phone calls and returns. I took 5 days on just the EPG just find out that it was the local broadcasting station and they fix it in just few hours. I have also fix the PHD-VRX_Manual_v1.02 with book marks and more detail for my wife. I would post it here but I do not know if I can. I did upload to http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/free-tv/files/ if any one wants a copy

The other Item I try find up is how has a TV guide for this DVR

Dave
post #1047 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

Some information came from epvision and some from others that has work for me pasted
I do not know if it is a HDMI handshaking I think this is a programing error that need to be fix some
I have found it can take days to get any thing out epvision and after one o two time I have had to change email address for get the info back.mad.gif

Dave

As a business, if it appears you're screening calls or emails, you lose all credibility. Instant F, you should lose your ability to run a business. Recently, I had a painter do the same thing, I'd call, get voicemail, never get calls back, but call from a different number, immediate pick-up. Their painters F***ed up my fiber line, cost $150 to fix it, they refused to reimburse me for it.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1048 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

I would think fee back would be a great help on a new item. Also just posting some where a trouble shooting guide would cut down on the email, phone calls and returns. I took 5 days on just the EPG just find out that it was the local broadcasting station and they fix it in just few hours. I have also fix the PHD-VRX_Manual_v1.02 with book marks and more detail for my wife. I would post it here but I do not know if I can. I did upload to http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/free-tv/files/ if any one wants a copy

The other Item I try find up is how has a TV guide for this DVR

Dave

If you only have one receiver it can be frustrating to tell whether EPG issues are with the station or with your receiver. Of course, if you have two, just check both: if they have the same issue, it's the station.

Low-power stations aren't required to provide EPG, and often lack the equipment and staff to do so anyway (unless they're just translators for full-power stations). But full-power stations are supposed to send at least 12 hours of EPG (although a few break this rule).

But if something breaks, often they won't know to fix it unless someone calls and tells them it's broken.
post #1049 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

But if something breaks, often they won't know to fix it unless someone calls and tells them it's broken.

I did find this out after days the EPG was working on Thursday and was not working on Friday . It is a main station I though it was working. After Lot of emails I found out the station was not working email and they fix it just a few hours. I was on cable to long to know this happens

Dave
post #1050 of 2349 Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM

Next Question
How do you download or move a mpg file from the PHD-VRX to a PC using the LAN

Dave
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx