Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
I would think fee back would be a great help on a new item. Also just posting some where a trouble shooting guide would cut down on the email, phone calls and returns. I took 5 days on just the EPG just find out that it was the local broadcasting station and they fix it in just few hours. I have also fix the PHD-VRX_Manual_v1.02 with book marks and more detail for my wife. I would post it here but I do not know if I can. I did upload to http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/free-tv/files/ if any one wants a copy
That isn't easily accessible.

What format is this in? If it is a .pdf or a text format, you can attach it in a post if the size is under 5MB.
Quote:
How do you download or move a mpg file from the PHD-VRX to a PC using the LAN
I've never done it, just xfered right off the HDD via either a USB or a eSATA bus.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Manal for PHD VRX with book marks.
I had to zip the file after unzipping it 5.8 MB size in a PDF file
Dave

PHD_VRX_Manualr.zip 4866k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip PHD_VRX_Manualr.zip (4.75 MB, 13 views)
Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Another issue is that the PHD-VRX Broadcam chip and hardware in theory can offer a bypass mode for the video screen settings like color, brightness, sharpness, etc. All we need is a firmware update so the video adjustments default to off with an option to turn them on for those that want to play with the video settings. On Motorola HD DVR’s, Scientific Atlanta HD DVR’s, Direct TV HD DVR’s, and many other external tuners there is no video adjustments to mess with since that is suppose to be the responsibility of the display.

If for some reason the PHD-VRX hardware does not support a video setting bypass color mode then this can easily be created in a software/firmware update even if the hardware does not support it.

For Example: The EpVision engineers just need to purchase two HDTV’s with the exact same model numbers. Then both HDTV’s that are exactly the same need to be professionally calibrated so each HDTV looks exactly the same to the human eye when using the built in ATSC/QAM tuner. Then one of the HDTV’s should be placed on a strong 1080i HD ATSC channel or QAM channel using the built in tuner of the HDTV. Then the PHD-VRX should be connected to the second HDTV and tuned to the exact same 1080i HD channel as the first HDTV. Then the EpVision engineers should adjust the video settings until the picture quality matches the picture quality of the other HDTV. When the picture quality is exactly the same on both calibrated HDTV’s that are the same model number then the EpVision engineers can now create a native source direct color mode using the new video settings. Another option would be to feed a Blu-ray color bars and test patterns into one HDTV with the HDMI input and on the second HDTV feed the Blu-ray color bars and test patterns into the PHD-VRX HDMI input to create a video bypass color source direct mode.

So even if the hardware in the PHD-VRX does not support a video setting bypass mode, there is many ways the EpVision software engineers could create a video setting bypass mode using software and it would not matter if the chipset does not support a default color setting. The PHD-VRX default color settings should match the default settings of ones built in ATSC/QAM tuner located in their HDTV.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
All we need is a firmware update so the video adjustments default to off with an option to turn them on for those that want to play with the video settings.
The settings aren't the problem , it's the implementation of the circuity that is causing the bad video levels and probably causing the false contouring (banding) with certain lower bitrate programs.
You can achieve usable settings by tweaking, though it shouldn't be that far off.
BTW, if you read back through the 1st 10 posts, I already commented on them trying to change those settings. He claims it caused other problems, so they stopped trying to do anything about it.

Regarding setting levels etc. That may be fine for a consumer, but surely not for a manufacture. Obtain a ATSC RF signal generator (which they should have in the first place, they aren't that expensive) and a Waveform Monitor/Vetroscope (those are expensive, but they should still have one) and set adjustments the proper way.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

On a separate subject, I just tried a AV HDD (Western Digital WD10EZRX) with this and find the speed test shows 16-18 MB/s instead of the 21-24 MB/s of the internal 2.5" Laptop drive.
But, the problem is, it takes a extremely long time (minutes, not seconds) to erase (delete) a recording, no doubt due to the slower spin speed and probably mostly due to the slowed actuator arm speed. Interesting using a typical 'fast' HDD in one of those TiVo's are noisy, but here there is no issue. The opposite using one of those AV drives here causes other problems.

Post two updated.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

But, the problem is, it takes a extremely long time (minutes, not seconds) to erase (delete) a recording, no doubt due to the slower spin speed and probably mostly due to the slowed actuator arm speed. Interesting using a typical 'fast' HDD in one of those TiVo's are noisy, but here there is no issue. The opposite using one of those AV drives here causes other problems.

When I was using this unit I had long deletion times. When I stopped using the unit I reformatted the drive to NTFS for use with my HTPC. The long deletion times went away. Are you sure ext2 formatting is not the cause of your long deletions?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm referring to deleting within the DVR, not a PC.
I took that new drive, connected it to my PC and found the entries that I deleted (that took 4-5 times longer) were not deleted. The .mpg file had a size of zero, but the associated .nav file had the original size. Windows couldn't delete either file though it could delete the remaining files (recordings) with no issue.

Not sure what to make of all of this. The 1TB drive was partitioned 600/300. The smaller partition was reformatted from NTFS to ext2 just for short term testing on the DVR. I can only assume the problem is in the drop in performance due to the type of drive. I do remember something mentioned last spring about having the need to have at least a 19MB/s xfer speed for dual recordings which this doesn't. The test recordings (numerous two at once) had skipping/breakup issues that were never with the internal 2.5" drive.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

The positive thing is that when one records with the PHD-VRX the video settings have no effect on the recording but only the live viewing and playback. For example the recording is receiving the native color settings from the hardware and even if one turns down the brightness and messes with the colors so the picture is totally un-viewable, this will not in any way effect the recording. I mentioned this several months ago when I changed the video settings so the picture was very dark and unwatchable, then I made a recording and when I played back the recording on my PC the colors, brightness, and everything else was perfect and looked like ATSC 1080i HD reference material. Since the PHD-VRX is already giving us a native color quality when recording then the EpVision engineers could just make a firmware update to offer the same feature available during live viewing and playback. The video settings should default to off with option to turn them on to make manual adjustments for live viewing and playback.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Update

Hi Dave,

1) Around mid Feb.
2) We are still working on that ASAP. Hope will release soon.

Thanks.

Support Team
ePVision.com

Original Message
FirstName: Dave
email:
Note:

1) How soon can I order the PHD-UR58 remote
2) How is or will have the 3rd parting TV guide

Thank you
Dave
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

The positive thing is that when one records with the PHD-VRX the video settings have no effect on the recording but only the live viewing and playback. For example the recording is receiving the native color settings from the hardware and even if one turns down the brightness and messes with the colors so the picture is totally un-viewable, this will not in any way effect the recording. I mentioned this several months ago when I changed the video settings so the picture was very dark and unwatchable, then I made a recording and when I played back the recording on my PC the colors, brightness, and everything else was perfect and looked like ATSC 1080i HD reference material. Since the PHD-VRX is already giving us a native color quality when recording then the EpVision engineers could just make a firmware update to offer the same feature available during live viewing and playback. The video settings should default to off with option to turn them on to make manual adjustments for live viewing and playback.

That makes sense, since they're just dumping the bits from the ATSC stream to disk. I had the same go-round about a passthrough video setting on the 8VX, and got nowhere. It seems that Broadcom chip is one designed for use in LCD TVs, and I'd guess it doesn't have a passthrough mode.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We are still working on that ASAP. Hope will release soon.
They have been working on that for well over one year. The last date that was stated in a e-mailed to a member was in three months and that was six months ago.

Integrate the tuners and Guide together first so one doesn't have to jump back and forth endlessly, then work on a pay Guide.

Quote:
It seems that Broadcom chip is one designed for use in LCD TVs
As stated in post #1, apparently it wasn't the right choice:
Quote:
The new versions main processor chip has only been out for a year, being used in Goldstar (LG) and Sony TV's. From what I and others have posted, it appears this might of been the wrong choice due to the complexities of this. Considering the apparent market for this chip was TV's, with the DVR function being 2nd, I believe this has caused many of the firmware problems. IOW's they might of bitten off more than they can chew.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM

I add 2 more to the list of Troubleshooting (5&6) I hopping some may to the lise

Dave

______________****** TROUBLESHOOTING ********

____________< ERROR > ___________________* Solution *

1) Rebooting does not work the first time * * * unplug all the USB and LAN and reboot

2) TV is black on start up_____________* * * turn off TV waits 20 sec and turn back on

3) During Recording is black screen_____* * * Turn off unplug USB HDD Turn on wait till screen is back and plug in USB HDD

4) Guide does not display on some channels * * * Contact local Broadcasting Station >> * Cause: By your local Broadcasting Station. Note: They may have more than one channel with the error

5) Long delay on strating timeshift ________ * * * Reduce timeshift on duration (Time)
_____________________________________ * Cause: By system deleting past timeshift

6) Mesage display stay on/Long time _____ * * * most will disaper by using EXIT and or INFO
______________________________________ Note: Some mesages will only work with Exit or Info
Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

That makes sense, since they're just dumping the bits from the ATSC stream to disk. I had the same go-round about a passthrough video setting on the 8VX, and got nowhere. It seems that Broadcom chip is one designed for use in LCD TVs, and I'd guess it doesn't have a passthrough mode.

I am glad the PHD-VRX records from the ATSC/QAM MPEG-2 bitstream with no changes to the picture and sound quality (The recording is bit for bit the same as the master broadcast). If the Broadcam chip hardware really does not offer a passthrough mode then as mentioned in an earlier post a passthrough mode could be designed by software by adjusting the video settings and saving those default video settings as a firmware update.

I realize programming takes a long time and can be frustrating at times, however hopefully the Epvision programmers will spend the many hours and weeks to improve this product.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM

Liked: 11
I have another error and solution:

error:
Display shows 'boot' indefinitely, and both tuners stop decoding any channel [power cycle does not fix].

solution:
Use menus to 'Reset All' back to factory default. Requires re-scan and re-enter upcoming recordings.

This happened to me after removing the USB disk. I disconnected LAN, USB and power, left it for up to an hour, always the same symptom: Display shows 'boot' for ~30 seconds, then '1080p' for 5 seconds, then 'boot' again indefinitely.

--Bert
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A better solution is to power down and power back up using the standby function if the recorder responds to that command. It may not. If not, force a full power off by the front panel mechanical switch. Use the factory reset as a last resort. wink.gif

Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 AM

I have also use record to remove the Display boot

Dave
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM

I have list a small list of fixes and upgrades that woulb make this DVR great. Can any add to list and a way to send to epvision

1) Fix skipping playing back on a some channels
2) Record to file after you have Pause
3) Adjusting time after pressing (record now) maybe 1 hr 2 hr 4 hr would work great.
4) TROUBLESHOOTING guide
5) Better way of getting to recording menu for time
6) Recording from some of the other Inputs
7) Fix recoding to some channels
8) one guide for all channels and a auto select tuner (1&2)
9) Option to turn off red light on standby
10)Adjusting the delay time on screen messages (Pause and recording) 2 5 10 20 sec
11)Option to set PHD-VRX menu with {1} Tech style {2} Cable/Satellite style
12)The ability to play recorded shows from more than on PHD-VRX

ePVision / ePBoard Design
4065 E. La Palma Ave. Suite #C
Anaheim, CA 92807

Fax: (714) 632-8459
Email
info@epvision.com
sales@epvision.com
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They have just about ignored everyones input here, I doubt that would be any different.
Have you read through post #905?

#5 & especially #8 have been on my list for some time now. I don't know what you mean for #11.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 AM

I know it take time for ePVision to fix any thing . More that email fax, call them and mail them they will take note and fix them. It is just a numbers game with any company.
Number 11) is menu style my wife like the old cable style and does like all the options, My self I would add also one for senior use simple and larger print I have had to help that group in pass. I would not even go there with DVR I would for days working with senior and they would never work it right

Dave
Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First I got to say I really like this product. It does a fine job of recording the digital Tv signals in my area.

However since upgrading to the Dec 3 firmware my unit started showing a previously unseen problem with freezing of both the remote controls and the panel controls. For example you can be watching TV and everything seems fine. You have been changing channels and doing whatever and everything is good. Then one random time (can be minutes or hours later) you pick up the remote control and push channel up or down and see that nothing happens. The tv channel you are watching does not change and the picture and sound are fine. Retrying it nothing happens. Then for the heck of it you can try every button on the remote and realize that the only one that works is the red power button. The unit shuts off.. then you restart it with the red power button on the remote and everything is ok again.

After a few rounds of this I thought I would try the panel controls the next time thinking its a remote issue. surprise was that the panel controls have the same problem. They are not responding either except for STANDBY or Power. If you standby and then restart everything is ok again... until some random time in the future.

My unit has a serial number of C000001905, has ethernet plugged in, home networking on and two rf cables attached. I have tried using 2 OTA antennas and tried 1 OTA antenna with 1 Cable tuner. The problem exists in both setups. I have also tried shutting off home networking and it makes no difference. I have tried disconnecting the USB drive and again no difference.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions please let me know.

Many thanks

Edward
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM

Try reloading the update firmware unplug ever thing
FYI I was one of the first to have ATT (U-verse) it took years to get all the bugs and they are still working on this

here list I have work for my wife

Dave

****** TROUBLESHOOTING ********
............................< ERROR > *............................................. Solution *
1) Rebooting does not work the first time * * * Unplug all the USB and LAN and reboot

2) TV is black on start up * * * Turn off TV waits 20 sec and turn back on

3) During Recording is black screen * * * Turn off unplug USB HDD Turn on wait tillscreen is back and plug in USB HDD

4) Guide does not display on some channels* * * Contact local Broadcasting Station >>
* Cause: By your local Broadcasting Station. Note: They may have more than one channel with the error

5) Long delay on strating timeshift * * * Reduce timeshift on duration
* Cause: By system deleting past timeshift

6) Mesage display stay on/Long time * * * most will disaper by using EXIT and or INFO
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

eastavin;
As Dave stated, try re-loading the firmware again but,
1. Get another copy from their website in case of the 1st being corrupted,
2. Reformat your USB stick to FAT32,
3. Unpack that file to a separate folder,
4. Then C&P those unpacked files to that USB drive,
5. Follow their upgrade instructions (I assume you have the separate instruction sheet). You don't need to unplug the unit, just use the mechanical power switch, but be sure you leave it off for 20 or so seconds.
6. Instead of doing a full scan, as stated in post 7, just enter a few of your OTA physical channel numbers first and see what happens.
7. Even though you tried before, leave your Ethernet connection off. Don't setup anything but a few channels.
8. Set the time manually, not by any TV station.

Questions;
Where is this located and what other equipment is near the unit?
Are other devices in use that use remote control to function that the VRX would 'see' the IR signal from that remote?
What/when does this happen? Recording, playback, both, or just with the VRX on and no user input?

Report back.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 AM

I set one of these up for my Mom over the holiday. It seemed to work when I tested it here. I guess the screen is distorted when playing back a recording, but is OK when watching live. It sounds like maybe a stretched 4;3 frame. but its hard to say.

Is there a separate screen shape for for playback versus viewing? If not, I'm wondering if she is recording the programming that is only on the sub-channels, so its really 4:3 is SD. I that is the case, is there an easy way to switch to side bars during playback.

I'm hoping for some idea before I go over there next time. that would help me a bit.

Chris

Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM

I do not know how old you mother, I have found you need to watch her do the recording and play. Just sit back and see how she works with the PHD VRX .
When VRC came out with my parents had a problems but after putting colors on the button with a notes, work just find. That still works today. They coming out in about 2 weeks with new remote. I am not saying this is your mother problem just maybe???

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscpm View Post

I set one of these up for my Mom over the holiday. It seemed to work when I tested it here. I guess the screen is distorted when playing back a recording, but is OK when watching live. It sounds like maybe a stretched 4;3 frame. but its hard to say.

Is there a separate screen shape for for playback versus viewing? If not, I'm wondering if she is recording the programming that is only on the sub-channels, so its really 4:3 is SD. I that is the case, is there an easy way to switch to side bars during playback.

I'm hoping for some idea before I go over there next time. that would help me a bit.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Go into the menu and turn off 'Auto aspect' and change 'View mode' to 'Normal':

That's assuming she has a HD TV.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Thanks. I sent her this link. It is an HDTV.

Chris

Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 PM

I found out from Allen they have finish the new firmware and testing
It will be out soon cheeck at http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm

Dave
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

eastavin;
As Dave stated, try re-loading the firmware again but,
1. Get another copy from their website in case of the 1st being corrupted, DONE
2. Reformat your USB stick to FAT32, DONE
3. Unpack that file to a separate folder, DONE
4. Then C&P those unpacked files to that USB drive, DONE
5. Follow their upgrade instructions (I assume you have the separate instruction sheet). You don't need to unplug the unit, just use the mechanical power switch, but be sure you leave it off for 20 or so seconds. DONE
6. Instead of doing a full scan, as stated in post 7, just enter a few of your OTA physical channel numbers first and see what happens. DONE
7. Even though you tried before, leave your Ethernet connection off. Don't setup anything but a few channels. DONE
8. Set the time manually, not by any TV station. DONE
Questions;
Where is this located and what other equipment is near the unit? Located under LG 42cs5700 and above a bell expressvu 6131 receiver.
Are other devices in use that use remote control to function that the VRX would 'see' the IR signal from that remote? Yes but I have not witnessed an interaction yet.
What/when does this happen? Recording, playback, both, or just with the VRX on and no user input? It happens with the vrx on and no user input

Report back.

Since doing this reloading of firmware with your instructions I have not seen the problem again. I have also auto programmed the ASTc channels on tuner 1 and not seen the problem yet.

Perhaps there should be a clean boot process done before upgrading... .?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscpm View Post

I know what u are talking about... But have not found a way to fix it. I reported it to epvision a few months back. It only happens when u record a 480i 4:3 broadcast and then try to play it back on a 16:9 tv. We have tv stn here in buffalo ny wgrz 2-2 that plays only 30 yr old shows like dragnet or older... It is correctly shaped if you watch it while recording but is stretched horizontally on playback. Trying to adjust aspect while playing back does not seem to fix it.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Chriscpm;
Ok, now I know what you are talking about. It wasn't clear exactly what you were recording. On a main 'HD' channel, a 4x3 program plays back normally since the the entire picture area is accounted for (not sure what the correct technical term is). On sub-channels (usually SD), that isn't the case. For whatever reason the recording/playback process 'stretches' the image horizontally.
I forgot about this quirk. If you choose 4x3 in the aspect choices, does that solve the problem? How about if you transfer that to a PC, how does that playback?

eastavin;
You have a PM. WBBZ & WPXJ and WNYB (if you watch that) should have the same issue with their sub-channels

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx