ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 02:32 PM 02-10-2013
A 4:3 image shown on a 720p or 1080i channel won't need aspect ratio correction, as it is pillarboxed inside the 16:9 image, i.e. it is a 16:9 image with black bars on the left and right of each frame. A 480i channel will be using an actual 4:3 resolution, and not all devices are smart enough to enlarge the image to fill the display while preserving its aspect ratio.

videobruce's Avatar videobruce 05:09 AM 02-11-2013
Quote:
A 480i channel will be using an actual 4:3 resolution, and not all devices are smart enough to enlarge the image to fill the display while preserving its aspect ratio.
It's not enlarging that's the issue, actually it doesn't need "enlarging", it's the arbitrary 'stretching' of the image just to fill the width where the problem is. wink.gif
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 01:12 PM 02-11-2013
If you didn't enlarge a 720x480 image, it would be a small square surrounded by black bars on all sides when shown on a 720 or 1080 display, so yes, it does need enlarging. The problem is that such images should only be enlarged until one of their sides reaches the edge of the display so as to preserve the aspect ratio, but some devices will just enlarge both horizontally and vertically and distort the image to fill the screen. The term "stretching" implies the distortion associated with changing an image's shape, rather than its size, IMO.
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 05:13 AM 02-12-2013
I considered "enlarging" to mean expanding the image larger than screen height as in zoom. Filling the screen either vertically or horizontally should be taken for granted since these aren't PC displays. wink.gif
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 12:44 PM 02-12-2013
Here some think about WHAT will this do for DVR's
eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Disney's ABC television network is trying to shut down Dish Network's ad-skipping TV recording feature two weeks after a federal judge denied a similar bid by a different broadcaster. The dispute over Dish’s ad-skipping technology, which broadcasters warn threatens their very survival, is being played out in federal courts on both coasts.

Dish, based in Englewood, Colorado, introduced its new digital video recorder, the Hopper, in March. Its PrimeTime Anytime feature can record all the major networks’ primetime shows and store them for eight days after their initial broadcast. AutoHop, introduced in May, allows viewers, with the touch of a button, to skip all the ads automatically, without having to manually fast-forward through them. The broadcasters claim that AutoHop “will ultimately destroy the advertiser-supported ecosystem” the networks depend on for revenue.
by Don Jeffrey
ey
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 07:35 AM 02-13-2013
That's a real bad idea. More like 'auto-stupid'. Real short sight mentality.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 10:09 AM 02-13-2013
Just think of ABC or other trying stop this what will happen to the DVR
oryan_dunn's Avatar oryan_dunn 10:48 AM 02-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

Just think of ABC or other trying stop this what will happen to the DVR

My DVR will still be a DVR.
ccrider2's Avatar ccrider2 11:13 AM 02-13-2013
Quote:

Here some think about WHAT will this do for DVR's
eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Disney's ABC television network is trying to shut down Dish Network's ad-skipping TV recording feature two weeks after a federal judge denied a similar bid by a different broadcaster. The dispute over Dish’s ad-skipping technology, which broadcasters warn threatens their very survival, is being played out in federal courts on both coasts.

Dish, based in Englewood, Colorado, introduced its new digital video recorder, the Hopper, in March. Its PrimeTime Anytime feature can record all the major networks’ primetime shows and store them for eight days after their initial broadcast. AutoHop, introduced in May, allows viewers, with the touch of a button, to skip all the ads automatically, without having to manually fast-forward through them. The broadcasters claim that AutoHop “will ultimately destroy the advertiser-supported ecosystem” the networks depend on for revenue.
by Don Jeffrey
ey

Don't like it....But the DVR 'skip' future is bound to fall some day. Just doesn't make business sense to buy ad time, if no one see's the ads. smile.gif
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 11:48 AM 02-13-2013
I agree with you this would end free tv
I am looking at for some like ABC trying stop skipping by taking over DVR
Back in the 80's they try to stop copying VCR tape my VCR did not like this some of tape the color would go drak to light.
The only way I fix this was to buy a NEW VCR it cost over $200.00 mad.gif

Dave
oryan_dunn's Avatar oryan_dunn 12:57 PM 02-13-2013
They're not going to take over your DVR.

If ABC wins, DIsh will have to remove the Auto Hop, but standard skip will still be available.

If DIsh wins, they'll have a hard time negotiating carriage contracts for O&O ABC stations.

This suit is just for a small feature on the new Dish Hopper (which I have and like very much).

DVRs like this PHD will still work. As long as the signal is broadcast OTA for free, your DVR will work.

Don't worry, the sky isn't falling.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 02:49 PM 02-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

As long as the signal is broadcast OTA for free, your DVR will work.

That's the problem. If Dish wins and automatic commercial skipping becomes a standard feature in other DVRs, it could spell the end of OTA TV. Having the ability to skip commercials is one thing, since many viewers don't bother to do so. Having it happen automatically would gut the revenue stream that the OTA networks rely on to survive.
oryan_dunn's Avatar oryan_dunn 03:37 PM 02-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

That's the problem. If Dish wins and automatic commercial skipping becomes a standard feature in other DVRs, it could spell the end of OTA TV. Having the ability to skip commercials is one thing, since many viewers don't bother to do so. Having it happen automatically would gut the revenue stream that the OTA networks rely on to survive.

Eh, they're not going to go away. You'll just see more product placement in the show itself.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 03:44 PM 02-13-2013
I think they may try is to make the so the DVR does not work at all Dish use the same operating system as the PHD VRX
oryan_dunn's Avatar oryan_dunn 03:48 PM 02-13-2013
Quote:

I think they may try is to make the so the DVR does not work at all Dish use the same operating system as the PHD VRX

What?

The Hopper the VRX are about as far apart as you could get and still call them DVRs. The only way that could work is if the station started using the broadcast flag (not gonna happen), and even if they did, the VRX would have to handle it properly (smart money is on that it won't). I'm not certain, but I seem to remember that the FCC shot down the broadcast flag, otherwise, you can bet your ass that they'd have implemented it by now.

Edit: yep....
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61851.html 
Also consigned to the regulatory dustbin are the “broadcast flag” digital copy protection rule that was struck down by the courts and the cable programming service tier rate.

videobruce's Avatar videobruce 09:36 AM 02-14-2013
Quote:
Just doesn't make business sense to buy ad time, if no one see's the ads.
But it makes less sense if one doesn't see the program either. wink.gif
Seeing glimpses of ads is better than not seeing them at all if you miss the program.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 10:24 AM 02-14-2013
I think they will run ads as part of the show in the years to come
May be within the program or at the bottom or top as a ticker may be both
Just think of I LOVE LUCY the ad would be still running today if it was embedded like the VITA vitamin with mostly alcohol. Even today you will see a ad's for cola or chips it just will more within the program.
But big thing is what will they do to DVR's and other types recorders till then.

Dave
dattier's Avatar dattier 12:21 PM 02-14-2013
The trouble with embedding ads into the show is that reruns of the episode will have the same ads.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 12:59 PM 02-14-2013
It is not that hard there three ways to do this ad
1. The dialog would have one add like Edison's new light bub and Ford new 1920 Model T they are paying for cost of the show.
2. Using Blue screen tech embed a ad for Frosty Root Beer this would pay like ABC, CBS CW Fox or NBC late they change for reruns
3. Using a ticker with a video on the right or left side for local 5 and 10 store or other small stores this can be change later at the local channel to pay for transition
4. As the show fades to black add a 15 to 30 seconds commercial. Today the commercials are up to 5 minutes long this give one time to skip or even make dinnner by cutting this time down you just can not skip do other thing or mute with this short of time

Today the ad for GE and Ford would be still there but other two would change like #2 embed Coke and the other for ticker & side screen would have Home Depot ever one gets payed and no ad's to stop the show

This is one way make it work
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt 01:16 PM 02-14-2013
Just thought I'd point out that there were commercial skip add-ons for Windows Media Center long before the Hopper came out. It's sort of the ultimate couch-potato feature: for folks for whom even pushing the "skip forward" button on their remote is too much work!

Commercial skipping technology isn't perfect, and probably never will be. Besides, a lot of commercials are already embedded in shows; particularly time-sensitive shows like sports. If Dish wins (and I think they should; there's nothing remotely illegal about automatically analyzing a video recording, whether to identify likely commercials or for any other purpose), it just means broadcasters will have to get cleverer about disguising commercials to look more like regular programming, which they're already doing anyway thanks to "ordinary" DVRs. For instance, they'll probably start sticking their network logo "bugs" on the commercials as well as the programming.

Remember, the broadcasters said the same things about "ordinary" DVRs and even about VCRs when they came out, and the sky didn't fall.

I'll be curious to see whether the Hopper can automatically skip those annoying "my opponent eats babies" political ads, though biggrin.gif Guess we'll find out around Oct. 2014
WS65711's Avatar WS65711 01:22 PM 02-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I'll be curious to see whether the Hopper can automatically skip those annoying "my opponent eats babies" political ads, though biggrin.gif Guess we'll find out around Oct. 2014

It may be found to be legal to automatically skip most ads, but not to automatically skip political ads.
Kinda like the "Do Not Call" list. Doesn't apply to political calls rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 01:31 PM 02-14-2013
I know it is what they do trying stop auto skipping Till they give up and re-invent how ads are shown.
My self I am from the old day just get drink and by the time I get back the ad is gone or just use mute and take to my wife & kids.

If did some like embed ads just think of how the new would go Today show uses LL BEAN on coats Just think of what they would do for ads Just think of Al show off a new swing suit or Mat with kleenex
oryan_dunn's Avatar oryan_dunn 01:33 PM 02-14-2013
Quote:

Just thought I'd point out that there were commercial skip add-ons for Windows Media Center long before the Hopper came out. It's sort of the ultimate couch-potato feature: for folks for whom even pushing the "skip forward" button on their remote is too much work!

Commercial skipping technology isn't perfect, and probably never will be. Besides, a lot of commercials are already embedded in shows; particularly time-sensitive shows like sports. If Dish wins (and I think they should; there's nothing remotely illegal about automatically analyzing a video recording, whether to identify likely commercials or for any other purpose), it just means broadcasters will have to get cleverer about disguising commercials to look more like regular programming, which they're already doing anyway thanks to "ordinary" DVRs. For instance, they'll probably start sticking their network logo "bugs" on the commercials as well as the programming.

Remember, the broadcasters said the same things about "ordinary" DVRs and even about VCRs when they came out, and the sky didn't fall.

Fortunately, the way the Dish hopper works, is they have people watch the shows and mark the times when the commercials start and end, then that data is downloaded to the box at 1am. So any clever technical tricks they come up with wouldn't work.
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt 03:04 PM 02-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Fortunately, the way the Dish hopper works, is they have people watch the shows and mark the times when the commercials start and end, then that data is downloaded to the box at 1am. So any clever technical tricks they come up with wouldn't work.

So they're analyzing the video with people rather than computers. Sounds like a good gig: literally getting paid to watch TV! Probably minimum wage, though frown.gif
oryan_dunn's Avatar oryan_dunn 03:29 PM 02-14-2013
Quote:

So they're analyzing the video with people rather than computers. Sounds like a good gig: literally getting paid to watch TV! Probably minimum wage, though frown.gif

Yeah, it was in some article I read that had interviewed the Dish guys at CES.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 06:59 AM 02-15-2013
I have add one to list for commercials
This would put a stop to trying to embed a none skip to program
Making the DVR does not work and you have to watch live TV even on OTA , Cable or even Dish
Today if you try watch a show on the internet you can not down load or skip the ads

It is not that hard there four ways to do this ad/commercials
1. The dialog would have one add like Edison's new light bub and Ford new 1920 Model T they are paying for cost of the show.
2. Using Blue screen tech embed a ad for Frosty Root Beer this would pay like ABC, CBS, CW, Fox, NBC or PBS late they change for reruns
3. Using a ticker with a video on the right or left side for local 5 and 10 store or other small stores this can be change later at the local channel to pay for transition
4. As the show fades to black add a 15 to 30 seconds commercial. Today the commercials are up to 5 minutes long this give one time to skip or even make dinnner by cutting this time down you just can not skip do other thing or mute with this short of time. This is the next place the local and or network can make more money.

Today the ad for GE and Ford would be still there but other two would change like #2 embed Coke and the other for ticker & side screen would have Home Depot ever one gets payed and no ad's to stop the show

This is one way make it work
ccrider2's Avatar ccrider2 02:55 PM 02-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

But it makes less sense if one doesn't see the program either. wink.gif
Seeing glimpses of ads is better than not seeing them at all if you miss the program.

Agree completely!

Although they are a subliminal in nature, they don't occupy your time, as an 'up-front', 'in your face' 60 sec's + waste of time.
They can still get their word out....Probably in a more effective way. I think there have been studies on this in the past, and complaints by consumer groups concerning the use of subliminal ads at movie theaters....years ago. Can't say if this was ever found to be off-limits or acceptable by the 'higher powers'.
I suppose I'm rather thick-headed, as I have my own likes and dislikes. Therefore ads really don't phase me...of course, I'm not a 'study group'. biggrin.gif
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt 09:51 PM 02-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post

... complaints by consumer groups concerning the use of subliminal ads at movie theaters....years ago.

Turns out that never actually happened. See http://www.csicop.org/si/show/cargo-cult_science_of_subliminal_persuasion

The story we've all heard seems to have originated in 1957 with James Vicary, an advertising promoter who claimed to increase popcorn sales by some 58% and Coke sales by some 18% in a New Jersey movie theater simply by flashing very briefly the messages "Drink Coca-Cola" and "Hungry - Eat Popcorn."

This story and several others were retold by Vance Packard in The Hidden Persuaders (1957). According to the above article, "Upon reading their newspapers, most people were outraged and frightened by a technique so devilish that it could bypass their conscious intellect and beam subliminal commands directly to their subconscious. The Federal Communications Commission immediately investigated the Vicary "study" and ruled that the use of subliminal messages could result in the loss of a broadcast license. The National Association of Broadcasters prohibited the use of subliminal advertising by its members. Australia and Britain banned subliminal advertising. A Nevada judge ruled that subliminal communications are not protected as free speech."

However, the story wasn't true! In a 1962 interview with Advertising Age, James Vicary announced that the original study was a fabrication intended to increase customers for his failing marketing business.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 07:50 AM 02-18-2013
Subliminal ads is sneaky ads but I do not think they work just think if you go to movie theaters you buy cola and pop corn before the movie starts. It is so big you can watch two movies unless you are teenager and even then it will last the whole movie. The only one that made any thing from this was the Ad company.
There other type of subliminal ads in the movie try the music track, cola, other type of drinks, cigarette and cigars this more open you see ever one having a great time. This type of ad is aim at the 16-21 year olds they know this will last up to 60 years with this base. Just think of any items you ever got from any type of ad. Most will find it is a short list.

Dave

Quote:

Turns out that never actually happened. See http://www.csicop.org/si/show/cargo-cult_science_of_subliminal_persuasion.

Headhunterx's Avatar Headhunterx 12:09 PM 02-18-2013
Without going through 37 pages of long read can someone tell me if most of the issues have been repaired? I am not concerned with the tuners all I want this for is to record video via the hdmi or component from my cable box dvr (which is too small) and be able to have hard drives to transfer the video files to, and then make bluray's on my computer. Will this fill the bill?

Thanks,
Tags: Epvision Phd Vrx
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop