ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKat View Post

A very simple user programmable file will however be in line with the main reason why most people are switching to OTA, i.e it being free.

I agree.

Quote:
(other than buying the equipment and paying the hydro bill)

Fascinating. I wasn't aware that this DVR ran on water. smile.gif

Quote:
The second would be a much simpler solution where only the recording programming is downloaded to the PVR. The latter could be done in the format of a simple .csv file using any spread sheet software. A very simple format such as “Program name", tuner #, Channel #, Start Date, Start Time, End Date, End Time.

I think this is an excellent idea, but would modify it in two ways: provide a Duration field, instead of EndDate + EndTime. First off, because that's how I normally think of things wink.gif, and translating to an end point gets annoying. But also because it completely avoids the problem of ambiguity introduced by DST transitions. [e.g. a half-hour program that starts at 1:30am and ends at 1am, because the interval from 1am-2am transpires twice.] And secondly, add a WhichDays field at the end, for regular periodic programming. This contains a list of days, with an empty list meaning 'doesn't repeat'. So "SMTWhFa" would mean every day of the week (with h=Thu, and a=Sat, because their first letter is already taken. Or use lower-case for those.). This makes it easy to specify M-F programming, or shifted Tue-Sat programming (late-nite shows). Or any other combination ("MWF").

Quote:
Issues like padding etc are then part of the users decision on which start and end times to use etc. The program name and start date and time is used as the name under which the recording is listed on the PVR.

Agreed.

Quote:
This recording .csv file could even be resident on the HDD or on a USB stick using the second USB port .

Or be located on a network drive, if the DVR was told to look there for it.

Quote:
When this .csv file is present then the use of (whatever) available PSIP data is restricted to live surfing.

I agree about the override, but I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to have this file "always there" (which makes it a bit more difficult for the DVR to know when it needs to read it because it changed). Or if, like a firmware update, it gets processed when it appears, then automatically gets deleted. That would be quick, simple, and easy for the DVR to handle. And the user only provides a new RecordingList file whenever they want to replace the current EventList in the DVR. [If you wanted to have it just add new items to the existing internal EventList, then you'd need to add a mechanism where you could specify item deletion.]

Quote:
Free, very simple and certainly a lot less effort to sort out than the unreliable PSIP data.

Absolutely. And it puts a lot of control back into the user's hands. PSIP data dependency will be an unending source of aggravation.

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

No. It has to change channels to update the data. Remember, data is not saved (post 9, 2nd paragraph). I was wondering when someone would comment on that.

This does not bode well for their ability to manage other external Guide info, when they can't even keep track of more than one channel's data at a time. I understand the limitations of PSIP, and the fact that you can't get at that data without actually tuning to the channel. But flushing that data, so painfully acquired, every time you change the channel, makes NO sense to me at all (unless they're severely RAM constrained, in which case they have a poor hardware design).

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
post #93 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bruce,

I meant to say "thanks" for the great job presenting lots of information, and all the time you've spent evaluating and testing the device. It's much appreciated.

My question is, will the folks at ePVision have someone following this thread? Or do we each need to accumulate all our comments and suggestions, and forward them directly to the company individually?

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
post #94 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

After a conversation with Allen, apparently, I now have much 'egg on face'.

After reading your explanation of how it "works", I would not say that you are the one with egg on their face. wink.gif

Quote:
The #3 method in the recording features does state for a "full control" to go into Menu - Record - Schedule Recordings - Manual Schedule to do an actual Future Manual Recording.

Fan-freaking-tastic! Drill, baby, drill! Could they not have buried it any deeper, or made it any more inconvenient to access?

Quote:
I have always accessed recording via the Guide or by the remotes 'Record' button, the logical way to do this, never from the menu itself. While I saw that entry, since the manual recording screen is the same except for the grayed out entries, I never noticed this. If you look back at post 9 (other then the background video) the screens are identical with 11 entries , other than what's grayed out. Not exactly a major difference. I should of seen this, but didn't notice and never went back to check.

It depends. If this was a game, with a maze full of twisty passages, many the same, and when you arrived at a destination what was possible depended on what treasures you had accumulated, THEN the UI on this DVR would be perfect. biggrin.gif Unfortunately, this is NOT a game, and regardless of HOW you got to a particular screen, the options available to you should be the same. Why anyone would strive to make a UI even MORE complicated than it already has to be baffles me.

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
post #95 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

No. It has to change channels to update the data. Remember, data is not saved (post 9, 2nd paragraph). I was wondering when someone would comment on that.
This does not bode well for their ability to manage other external Guide info, when they can't even keep track of more than one channel's data at a time. I understand the limitations of PSIP, and the fact that you can't get at that data without actually tuning to the channel. But flushing that data, so painfully acquired, every time you change the channel, makes NO sense to me at all (unless they're severely RAM constrained, in which case they have a poor hardware design).

An external guide should not care if the box is receiving PSIP data. I know TVGOS and the TiVo guide don't care. I do agree that the box should keep track of what is valid data when moving through the PSIP based guide if there is a reasonable chance it hasn't changed. That should be fixed.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #96 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,870
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber 
This does not bode well for their ability to manage other external Guide info, when they can't even keep track of more than one channel's data at a time. I understand the limitations of PSIP, and the fact that you can't get at that data without actually tuning to the channel. But flushing that data, so painfully acquired, every time you change the channel, makes NO sense to me at all (unless they're severely RAM constrained, in which case they have a poor hardware design).

Based on the way the DVR is configured, there doesn't seem to be a way to silently grab PSIP data, either. One benefit of having a single antenna input is that the DVR can use its second tuner to scan channels and pick up PSIP data in the background, while the user views a single channel with the first tuner. The down side of the VRX having separate antenna inputs (ostensibly to let it use both OTA and cable simultaneously) is that it has no way to do any channel scanning. While it should be capable of remembering PSIP data once the user tunes to a channel, there's probably no way to let it populate the guide automatically.

I assume the people who want external guide data are the ones using the VRX for cable, because it seems to me that the OTA side doesn't have enough content to warrant ePVision adding an external guide option, especially if the user is going to have to download and copy it to the DVR manually for every update. The VRX is still going to use time-based recordings whether it has a guide or not, so why not just look up the schedule online and set the timers accordingly, rather than downloading a CSV or XML guide, copying it to the DVR, and then selecting programs to record from the schedule? That sounds more tedious to me than setting the timers yourself, so I must be missing something.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #97 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

...especially if the user is going to have to download and copy it to the DVR manually for every update.

You're right. If this is a repetitive manual operation, here's not much point. I think the idea was that the process would be automated in some way (e.e. from a local PC over the network), and the DVR would get its Guide populated w/o user intervention.

Quote:
The VRX is still going to use time-based recordings whether it has a guide or not, so why not just look up the schedule online and set the timers accordingly, rather than downloading a CSV or XML guide, copying it to the DVR, and then selecting programs to record from the schedule? That sounds more tedious to me than setting the timers yourself, so I must be missing something.

Yes, that would be tedious. Which is why I liked RamKat's other suggestion, which was the simplest of all. I.e., it involved nothing more than creating the EventList externally (even if by hand, entering program names is easier with a real keyboard, as he pointed out), and loading that into the DVR when the List needed to be adjusted. With my additional suggestion for handling repeating shows, that might not be very often (mostly to add special events, or new shows).

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
post #98 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW, I'd be curious to hear how well it handles back-to-back recordings, on the same channel and same tuner. I.e., how much is lost shutting down one recording, and starting up the next one.

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
post #99 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
I assume that 4 of the 6 inputs are display-only, and not recordable? I.e., composite, component, VGA, and HDMI are only inputs to the switcher?
They are just inputs to the internal switcher just like their Media Switcher as I beleive I described earlier.
Quote:
you can press Record, and select Now, and it will record until you press Stop, or the hard drive is full. What happens if I won't be available in an hour to shut it off?
I never tried using that. Normally, wouldn't have the need. Would someone try that for the record?
Quote:
Lastly, there doesn't seem to be much discussion of what format the video files are recorded in on the hard drive. They seem to be named with an .mpg extension, yet somehow they're NOT playable in VLC?
Something to do with the fact the whole transport stream is not recorded (also preventing CC's not to be recorded) that causes a problem with VLC Player.
Quote:
I find PSIP-based EPGs nearly useless
That goes without saying.
Quote:
This could be as simple as a GuideUpdate file, which contained info on programs and channels of interest to the owner, which the device would then read (and auto-delete), extract, and merge into it's own internal guide database for display and selection.
I don't know about the "simple" part, but it would be nice if it would/could work. One question; How and who would input data from all 250 plus markets in the country to these lists and how would you go about automatically downloading one to the DVR??

Anything else I couldn't begin to comment on since it isn't my expertise. frown.gif You would have to ask some of the experts that hang out in the "Technical" forum.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #100 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
This does not bode well for their ability to manage other external Guide info, when they can't even keep track of more than one channel's data at a time.
I just scanned through the rest of that Zinwell/BrightView DVR thread that I now find out was discontinued (was that the shortest lived DVR or what?). That had the same problem with the Guide. No memory.
Quote:
But flushing that data, so painfully acquired, every time you change the channel, makes NO sense to me at all (unless they're severely RAM constrained, in which case they have a poor hardware design).
My guess is (and it is just a guess) they just figure once you look at the listings and move on, why would you come back right away?
It boils down to the fact, Asians have little clue about hour culture, no different than we have little clue on theirs. The difference is, when in Rome do as the Romans do. This is Rome. wink.gif
Quote:
My question is, will the folks at ePVision have someone following this thread? Or do we each need to accumulate all our comments and suggestions, and forward them directly to the company individually?
I have provided a link to the previous thread and now this thread numerous times. I'm told this thread was looked over, but not in depth. I was also told his people overseas have seen my numerous e-mails and list of 'issues' which originally totaled over 40, some of which were actually addressed.
As I stated in my early posts, they got gun shy after making changes to the firmware. They found by doing so it caused other problems, so they backed off and only tried to deal with the "critical issues".

Do you guys want me to post my 'list' of suggestions/issues/complaints?

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #101 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
One benefit of having a single antenna input is that the DVR can use its second tuner to scan channels and pick up PSIP data in the background, while the user views a single channel with the first tuner. The down side of the VRX having separate antenna inputs (ostensibly to let it use both OTA and cable simultaneously) is that it has no way to do any channel scanning. While it should be capable of remembering PSIP data once the user tunes to a channel, there's probably no way to let it populate the guide automatically.
This DVR having two independent Guides, one for each tuner is the 1st problem. I'm surprised no one has commented on that.
I don't see why it couldn't be designed so one of the 'free' tuners (inactive) would/could 'scan' each channel on some regular basis (every three hours,some user set time of day or x number of times per day) to gather the listings. I know that would be a little 'feat of engineering', but it should be possible.
Quote:
it seems to me that the OTA side doesn't have enough content to warrant ePVision adding an external guide option,
I would have to disagree with you on this one. Actually, just the opposite. Even more so in my market, since there are many more stations OTA than on cable. With these MSO's pushing for total encrypted systems, there goes recording CATV anything. mad.gif
Quote:
The VRX is still going to use time-based recordings whether it has a guide or not, so why not just look up the schedule online and set the timers accordingly, rather than downloading a CSV or XML guide, copying it to the DVR, and then selecting programs to record from the schedule?
Since I'm not fully clear on what has been suggested/proposed, I'm only assuming this would fill in the 'Grid' for the Guide so one would/could just hit record for the programs he wants to record. IOW's this substitutes a constant or daily updated Internet feed Guide data similar to how TiVo DVR's gets their data.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #102 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Member
 
idknyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I never tried using that. Normally, wouldn't have the need. Would someone try that for the record?

I've tried that and it doesn't give you the option to record for 30-minutes, 60-minutes, etc. I DID find a workaround, though. I hit the "record" button and instead of selecting "Record Now" I select "Create a Manual Recording." I set the manual recording to start recording a minute from the current time and then set the duration of the recording for as long as I want it to record (30, 60, etc.)
idknyc is offline  
post #103 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 154
idknyc; or anyone else, some outstanding questions;

1. Have you formatted your drive via the internal utility? If so, details: make/model of the devices (HDD & enclosure),
2. Does your HDD spin down when not recording, playing or timeshifting?
3. Can you see this false contouring on select network programming I described in the 'Picture Controls' post #8?

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #104 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,870
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce 
This DVR having two independent Guides, one for each tuner is the 1st problem. I'm surprised no one has commented on that.

From what I've read about other DVRs on this forum, it seems to me like it's exactly the opposite for many users. They want two independent tuners and inputs so they can record both OTA and QAM without having to use A/B switches or rescan channels. I agree with you that having one input split to both tuners is better, but I get the feeling we're in the minority on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce 
Since I'm not fully clear on what has been suggested/proposed, I'm only assuming this would fill in the 'Grid' for the Guide so one would/could just hit record for the programs he wants to record. IOW's this substitutes a constant or daily updated Internet feed Guide data similar to how TiVo DVR's gets their data.

To get the functionality of having the EPG automatically populated would require a constantly updated TiVo-style connection. I'm really not sure what people are suggesting in this topic: do they want the VRX to be able to manually load user-compiled CVS/XML-formatted guide data for free (which raises the question of where such data would come from), or do they want ePVision to start providing a paid guide service? The former sounds so inconvenient that using the manual timers based on information obtained from TV-guide websites would be easier, and the latter would make little financial sense. Why go to the trouble of finding a subscription-free DVR only to ask the manufacturer to implement a subscription system? There's already a company doing that.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #105 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I agree with you that having one input split to both tuners is better, but I get the feeling we're in the minority on this.

Well, it's easy to achieve the configuration you desire, just by adding an inexpensive splitter, and a couple short pieces of coax. HDHomerun folks with a single input did this to drive dual-tuners for years. OTOH, if ePVision had hardwired that in, then independent operation (which many would like) would not be possible at all. IMO, they made the right choice, with the most flexibility.

[NB: what if you happened to have 2 OTA markets, and set up an antenna to serve each? What would you do then without 2 separate inputs?]

Of course, the ideal situation would have been to have a 2-way switch on each external input, so that each internal input could be driven from either source. So both tuners driven from a cable feed, both from antenna, or any combination, via a programmed switching voltage.

Quote:
To get the functionality of having the EPG automatically populated would require a constantly updated TiVo-style connection. I'm really not sure what people are suggesting in this topic: do they want the VRX to be able to manually load user-compiled CVS/XML-formatted guide data for free

I think the answer to that is yes.

Quote:
(which raises the question of where such data would come from),

If an interface file format was defined for the VRX, and if someone were to write a free or Open-Source app to process the data, then SchedulesDirect provides a data service for $25 per year (per household) that could populate any market you'd like. I used it myself for a year (before I got SageTV, with its own Guide info), and it worked quite well.

Quote:
The former sounds so inconvenient that using the manual timers based on information obtained from TV-guide websites would be easier,

I kind of agree with you, now that I've looked at the Recording Features Guide. It looks like the existing repeating-recording options for manual recordings are fairly decent. (I.e., you don't have to re-enter your entire lineup every week.) They don't cover every scenario (e.g. Tue-Sat at 1am), but they do enough. If the unit was also smart enough to look at the EPG when it does each manual recording, and save the Name/Episode in the title when it made the recording (rather than the normal raw date/time info), then this could work out fairly nicely.

[Oh, and Bruce, I found a mention that the Active setting works as you thought. I.e., it allows you to set up and reserve an Event, but disable it temporarily. E.g., a re-run you've already recorded airs that week, or a special preempts it. Then just make it Active again afterwards. Pretty smart.]

Quote:
Why go to the trouble of finding a subscription-free DVR only to ask the manufacturer to implement a subscription system? There's already a company doing that.

Agreed. I don't think that's the best approach either.

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
post #106 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bruce,

I had asked:
Quote:
Lastly, there doesn't seem to be much discussion of what format the video files are recorded in on the hard drive. They seem to be named with an .mpg extension, yet somehow they're NOT playable in VLC?

I asked because the codecs in VLC seem fairly fault-tolerant. And you responded,
Quote:
Something to do with the fact the whole transport stream is not recorded (also preventing CC's not to be recorded) that causes a problem with VLC Player.

I guess I'd be really interested in what else this breaks? E.g., if its MPG files aren't readable by VideoReDo (which handles both TS and PS formats), due to not really being MPG-compliant, then that reduces a lot of interest in it for me.

And of course, if the earlier speculation about how discarding TS information results in loss of sync when there's a reception glitch (which happens fairly often here) turns out to be the case, that would be an even bigger downside.

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
post #107 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,870
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber 
They don't cover every scenario (e.g. Tue-Sat at 1am), but they do enough. If the unit was also smart enough to look at the EPG when it does each manual recording, and save the Name/Episode in the title when it made the recording (rather than the normal raw date/time info), then this could work out fairly nicely.

The main cycle options that you need are generally:
  1. Once
  2. Daily
  3. Mon-Fri
  4. Every (specific day)
  5. Every (specific day +1, e.g. Mon-Tue, Sat-Sun)

You can get any type of cycle you need with one or two scheduled events this way. As for naming the recorded files, you can somewhat get away with not naming them if they are sorted into folders by channel. Naming the recordings by PSIP title works, but it would also be advantageous to allow the user to hard-code a name to insert into each recording for channels that have no data. Another pitfall with using PSIP data is that if the user pads the program to start a few minutes early, the VRX needs to avoid using the PSIP title of the previous program that's just finishing and pick the name of the program that coincides with the bulk of the recording duration. Without doing that, your recordings can end up with the name of the previous program, rather than the one you recorded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber 
I found a mention that the Active setting works as you thought. I.e., it allows you to set up and reserve an Event, but disable it temporarily. E.g., a re-run you've already recorded airs that week, or a special preempts it. Then just make it Active again afterwards.

An alternative way to handle this is to allow the user to actually set the date of the recording, rather than just the day of the week. If you have access to a full monthly calendar, you can simply set the next recording event to the date of the next new episode, rather than having to remember to disable the event and then enable it again after the repeat(s) has aired.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #108 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Member
 
RamKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post

Fascinating. I wasn't aware that this DVR ran on water. smile.gif

LOL When I got my first "hydro" bill I thought I had to pay twice for water, then I learned that is what Canadians call the electricity bill due to some electricity being generated by Hydro plants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post

I think this is an excellent idea, but would modify it in two ways: provide a Duration field, instead of EndDate + EndTime.

I like the Duration field better.

Keep the ideas rolling! This is exactly why I opened the discussion here so that we could brainstorm a bit to improve this product and hopefully epvision will take note of our ideas. We should invite them to read the discussion here. I will jump in again in 4 weeks time when my visitors are gone. By that time I should also have my unit.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
RamKat is offline  
post #109 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
From what I've read about other DVRs on this forum, it seems to me like it's exactly the opposite for many users. They want two independent tuners and inputs so they can record both OTA and QAM without having to use A/B switches or rescan channels.
You misunderstood. I said one Guide for both tuners, not a single tuner. Jumping back and forth to see or change something in the same time slot will be a disaster.
Example: Three programs on at a time. two tuners. What doesn't get recorded? You then try to search if the program is on again. of course with PSIP data, that isn't going to work unless that program is on within the sort time period that stations Guide covers.
The way it is now, you might as well have two separate recorders since you have to repeat the scheduling process all over again with the 2nd Guide/tuner.
Quote:
do they want ePVision to start providing a paid guide service?
Surely not through ePVision., but a 3rd party which is what they are striving for in one form or another.
Quote:
I guess I'd be really interested in what else this breaks? E.g., if its MPG files aren't readable by VideoReDo (which handles both TS and PS formats), due to not really being MPG-compliant, then that reduces a lot of interest in it for me
And of course, if the earlier speculation about how discarding TS information results in loss of sync when there's a reception glitch (which happens fairly often here) turns out to be the case, that would be an even bigger downside.
Unfortunately I really don't understand the overly complicated ATSC transport stream. Too many equations. Why isolating one 'channel' or sub-channel causes problems with CC data is beyond me. To record the whole 'stream' makes no sense just for a single program. This is especially true for QAM where one can have literally dozens of sub-channels when SD and more so, those 'music', audio only services are present.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #110 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
DB100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post

...If an interface file format was defined for the VRX, and if someone were to write a free or Open-Source app to process the data, then SchedulesDirect provides a data service for $25 per year (per household) that could populate any market you'd like. I used it myself for a year (before I got SageTV, with its own Guide info), and it worked quite well.

I wrote one for myself using Basic. I download the raw data in XML format using a utility from the Schedules Direct list of approved apps. Then I run my app to parse it out and build a csv file.
454

I then import the csv file into a database. The database has an Android version so it winds up on my phone.

508

This process is a weekly ritual for me, and it's why the vagaries of PSIP data never concerned me.
DB100 is offline  
post #111 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
then I learned that is what Canadians call the electricity bill due to some electricity being generated by Hydro plants.
Guess you never been to Niagara Falls. wink.gif Been to a "Gas Bar" lately?

DB100; You guys need to call Allen Chang and talk to him. 714-630-6839

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #112 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Member
 
tvoldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did try a couple more test recordings, using an external drive formatted NTFS which was empty of content. The first thing I did was to run the write test routine, takes several minutes, just start it and let it finish. The results for my 500Gig drive was a 5Mb throughput according to the test. Then I set a manual 1 hour recording, the only time parameter I could adjust was the start time and duration of the recording. I played back the entire recording and it seemed to play without issue, no breakup or pixelizing as noted on previous recordings. The gripe I do have is unlike the tuner which remembers your picture settings, the picture settings for the playback don't seem to invoke unless you bump one of the numbers up or down. Also the sound level was significantly below the live tuner levels. While there are audio settings on the player, output level was not one of them. So it's an annoyance to have to boost your volume control for play back and remember to lower it before you go back to live tuner or risk being blasted out of your chair. There is an "auto level" setting in the audio controls, but it doesn't help this problem. I will next try to re-format my drive using the VRX built-in utility and try some ext2 recordings.
tvoldtimer is offline  
post #113 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
The results for my 500Gig drive was a 5Mb throughput according to the test.
That is normal for this DVR. Between 5-6 MB/s for NTFS and 21-26 MB/s for ext2.
Quote:
The gripe I do have is unlike the tuner which remembers your picture settings, the picture settings for the playback don't seem to invoke unless you bump one of the numbers up or down.
As noted in post #8 & 9. When in Media Player, any picture settings that were changed will not show here. Clearly defeating the purpose of the picture settings function.
Quote:
the picture settings for the playback don't seem to invoke unless you bump one of the numbers up or down.
Where are you doing this "bumping", through the Quick menu?? confused.gif
Quote:
While there are audio settings on the player,
Audio settings aren't available while in the player are they? Is this using that Quick Menu button? I never tried that since no audio setting seemed to work anywhere.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #114 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Member
 
tvoldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The picture settings are different for the media player than the tuners, the problem is they don't seem to remember they are there unless you go to the setting and bump a number, then the picture "jumps" to the desired settings. They should automatically recall when starting the player. And yes, both the picture and audio settings are on the quick button while in player mode.
tvoldtimer is offline  
post #115 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
morc258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100 View Post

I wrote one for myself using Basic. I download the raw data in XML format using a utility from the Schedules Direct list of approved apps. Then I run my app to parse it out and build a csv file.
This process is a weekly ritual for me, and it's why the vagaries of PSIP data never concerned me.

Thank you for mentioning Schedules Direct. They have some really interesting programs there.biggrin.gif

http://www.schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware
morc258 is offline  
post #116 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
both the picture and audio settings are on the quick button while in player mode.
I never tried that "Quick menu" while in Media Player. Still a problem I will have to add to the list. Thanks.
Ok, how about audio settings, do any have any effect in Media Player? Can I assume no audio control affects tuner video?

DB100; How long does it take you to do a weekly update? Also, their FAQ they talks about "Screen-scrape from TitanTV / Yahoo / Zap2It / TVGuide / TV Station website."
What exactly is that about?

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #117 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Quote:
both the picture and audio settings are on the quick button while in player mode.
I never tried that "Quick menu" while in Media Player. Still a problem I will have to add to the list. Thanks.
Ok, how about audio settings, do any have any effect in Media Player? Can I assume no audio control affects tuner video?
DB100; How long does it take you to do a weekly update? Also, their FAQ they talks about "Screen-scrape from TitanTV / Yahoo / Zap2It / TVGuide / TV Station website."
What exactly is that about?

I dunno.... But it sounds like it would be pretty tough on your monitor . . . eek.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
post #118 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
DB100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

DB100; How long does it take you to do a weekly update? Also, their FAQ they talks about "Screen-scrape from TitanTV / Yahoo / Zap2It / TVGuide / TV Station website."
What exactly is that about?

It takes me '2min 10sec' to download the raw data. I'm currently in an RV park, at the far end of the park. So I'm as far away from the park's router as I can get. I'm using the park's free cable rather than OTA and I ask for 8 days of data. That produces over 6,000 individual programs. Each program has Title, Category, Start Time, Channel, Description, etc, so 6,000 programs produces alot of data.

It takes my parsing app 45 seconds to build the csv file.

Putting 6,000 records into a database designed to run on a smart phone is asking alot of that database, so I have an Adjustment.ini text file that my parser uses to reduce the number of programs. I can enter a Category and it will ignore all programs of that category. You know, all those programs listed as "Paid Programming" that are 30 minute commercials for some product? Or programs that I don't care about and they're listed in 30 different time slots. So I can enter individual program names and it ignores all occurances of that program. Last is a list of favorites. I can enter a program name and the Favorite checkbox is checked for me in the database. That's the programs I want to record.

As far as "Screen-scrape", if you're asking me, I don't have a clue.
DB100 is offline  
post #119 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VideoGrabber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Also, their FAQ they talks about "Screen-scrape from TitanTV / Yahoo / Zap2It / TVGuide / TV Station website."
What exactly is that about?

It simply means that you run a program on a PC that extracts data from what gets shown on a screen by some other Guide type web site in your browser. It's free data, but I wouldn't want to rely on something like that when there are other, much higher quality alternates, available very cheaply. (At least I'd consider $25/yr pretty cheap, for a quality data stream.) With scraping, you have to generate multiple screens, for each day of programming. And sometimes each channel as well. It's kind of a PITA.

Like DB100, SchedulesDirect was a weekly download for me as well, with an occasional extra if I knew something had changed.

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline  
post #120 of 2338 Old 06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I dunno.... But it sounds like it would be pretty tough on your monitor . . . eek.gif

I took me over three hours to get it. I'm getting older faster.
JoeKustra is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off