ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1261 of 2273 Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First time I did a update the same thing happen.
But next time I unplug ever thing, new USB and down load, work just after that it update and work great today . wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhidbeyGreg View Post

I tried installing the older version, and have the same problem. Stuck in boot mode. In fact, it never successfully completed the firmware update. I tried three times. It displayed "Update" on the LED, then went to unending boot mode.

I'm eternally, and perhaps foolishly, optimistic. Partly because there aren't many alternatives to this device. I'll exchange it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2273 Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Waving the white flag on Endless Boot Mode.

I've spent a good chunk of my weekend trying to get the firmware updates to install, and then get the VRX to boot. No luck.

I have re-downloaded and then re-installed the firmware version 242_22_22 twice. Both times, it would get to the point of displaying "no ch" on the LED display. I would then remove the thumb drive and power down, per the instructions. When I powered up, and pressed standby, it stuck in boot mode.

I then re-downloaded the March firmware upgrade, and followed the instructions to update after reading a post that it solved someone else's boot mode problem. This time I disconnected my HDD first. Both times, after displaying "UPDATE" on the LED, it went to boot mode, and never displayed "no ch" on the LED display. Between attempts, I powered down, removed the thumb drive, powered up, tried to boot (failed), powered down, reinserted thumb drive, and went through the firmware upgrade procedures. Both attempts with latest firmware ended in the same "boot" until the cows come home mode. As I type, it has been taunting me with the boot status message on the LED for about the past 30 minutes.

At this point, I'm resigned to swapping out the unit. I don't see too many others complaining about this particular problem, and assume I have a defective unit. So happy I get to pay the return shipping costs.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
post #1263 of 2273 Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
You shouldn't have anything connected but the USB stick to flash.
You don't have to unplug the unit, just use the power switch, wait 30 seconds, then power back up.

Have you tries another USB stick and was it freshly re-formatted? If Windoze wrote to the stick with that "System Volume Information" hidden folder, that might be a issue.
Swap it out for another. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1264 of 2273 Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Waving the white flag on Endless Boot Mode.

I've spent a good chunk of my weekend trying to get the firmware updates to install, and then get the VRX to boot. No luck.

I have re-downloaded and then re-installed the firmware version 242_22_22 twice. Both times, it would get to the point of displaying "no ch" on the LED display. I would then remove the thumb drive and power down, per the instructions. When I powered up, and pressed standby, it stuck in boot mode.

I then re-downloaded the March firmware upgrade, and followed the instructions to update after reading a post that it solved someone else's boot mode problem. This time I disconnected my HDD first. Both times, after displaying "UPDATE" on the LED, it went to boot mode, and never displayed "no ch" on the LED display. Between attempts, I powered down, removed the thumb drive, powered up, tried to boot (failed), powered down, reinserted thumb drive, and went through the firmware upgrade procedures. Both attempts with latest firmware ended in the same "boot" until the cows come home mode. As I type, it has been taunting me with the boot status message on the LED for about the past 30 minutes.

At this point, I'm resigned to swapping out the unit. I don't see too many others complaining about this particular problem, and assume I have a defective unit. So happy I get to pay the return shipping costs.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Boot and noch indications happen to me all the time. It does not mean the unit is not working. It still works, you just have to change tunners or channels.
post #1265 of 2273 Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 PM

post #1266 of 2273 Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting problem (at least for me). Apparently similar to Smithdoor's issue with his ABC affiliate.

My affiliate of ME TV/ THIS WBBZ has recently starting to provide PSIP program data after all this time. The ownership of this allocation in my market has changed hands a few times, but seems to be more stable now and has more promise.
When playing back recordings on their main channel (most are SD material from the 70's) the recording 'skips' or 'jumps' ahead 8 seconds or so as if it was in a fast forward mode. The time spans of the 'skips' vary from 5 to 12 or more seconds, but ti seems 8 or 9 seconds is the average. I can't stop it doing so, even if I stop or pause the playback and resume.

It gets more interesting. It appears to be programming from the network, as local material (commercials) do not have the problem.
On their sub channel, which sometimes is a duplicate of their main channel programming, there is no issue. I purposely recording both at the sane time. It's only their main 'HD' channel.

I'm still running the recent firmware, I didn't revert back. That recording was off of TWC, not OTA due to antenna direction and reception.
The issue with WBBZ, appears to be a similar issue that Smithdoor and another (unknown) VRX owner in Florida reported.

(You can't make this stuff up. eek.gif)

revised observations

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #1267 of 2273 Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM

Try emailing Allen and any else this help get a fix faster
Note: Try adjusting setting on CC and sound this helps a little

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Interesting problem (at least for me). Apparently similar to Smithdoor's issue with his ABC affiliate.

revised observations
post #1268 of 2273 Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Liked: 11
WidbeyGreg~ I'm still following this thread to see if things improve. I sent my unit back about week ago. I'd be interested to see if your new unit works better. Keep us posted.
post #1269 of 2273 Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:

You shouldn't have anything connected but the USB stick to flash.
You don't have to unplug the unit, just use the power switch, wait 30 seconds, then power back up.

Have you tries another USB stick and was it freshly re-formatted? If Windoze wrote to the stick with that "System Volume Information" hidden folder, that might be a issue.
Swap it out for another. wink.gif

Formatted the USB on a MacBook. It looked clean to me. But, I've already shipped the unit back to Anaheim, so the question is moot until I get a new one and the same problems arise. wink.gif
post #1270 of 2273 Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0R0 View Post

WidbeyGreg~ I'm still following this thread to see if things improve. I sent my unit back about week ago. I'd be interested to see if your new unit works better. Keep us posted.

Roger that. Stay tuned (pun intended).
post #1271 of 2273 Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Smithdoor;
I never use CC. I did manage to talk to someone in engineering, he claims everything is fine that he knew of on his end, but would check after I explained the exact circumstances.

Anyone that has a ME TV and/or This TV affiliate, would you make recordings on their main & sub channel and see if this 7 or 8 second 'skip' occurs. It's like clock work, video plays for 1/2 second, skips 7 or 8 seconds, plays, then skips ahead again. Only during the network feed, not the local material (commercials etc.). He also stated the main and the duplicate sub channel comes from the same feed.

post #1272 of 2273 Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ePVision doesn't have this on Amazon any more. eek.gif

post #1273 of 2273 Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Liked: 105
Is there a way to delete a recording while you are in Media player?

When I have finished a recording I would like to then be able to delete it. I haven't figured out how to do that even reading the manual.

The only thing that I have figured out is if I go back into menu to recoding history I can then after hunting though all the recordings and find a match to what I just watched highlight it and then delete it .....and only if I am on the same tuner as the item to be deleted.

I did not see this on VideoBruce's hit list but the whole concept of when and how to delete recordings with this DVR is screwed up, messy and just plain stupid.....
post #1274 of 2273 Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Formatted the USB on a MacBook. It looked clean to me. But, I've already shipped the unit back to Anaheim, so the question is moot until I get a new one and the same problems arise. wink.gif

Did you follow the instructions and format your USB stick FAT32?
post #1275 of 2273 Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ePVision doesn't have this on Amazon any more. eek.gif

Probably they got sick of all the bad reviews or Amazon got sick of all the bad reviews and complaints!
post #1276 of 2273 Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is there a way to delete a recording while you are in Media player?
If it was alive, it would bite you. The red button on the remote. Go back and look at post 9, at the bottom.
MP is the only place to delete existing recordings in the drive you have connected since they can't show anywhere else.
Unlike scheduled recordings through the Guide that you can only make inactive (not delete) after you program them. The recording list in the main menu is only a history list. It shows if you have a HDD connected or not.
Quote:
Probably they got sick of all the bad reviews or Amazon got sick of all the bad reviews and complaints!
If that was the case, there are hundreds of other far worse that are still being sold there. wink.gif

post #1277 of 2273 Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Red button does not work for me. If I am in Media Player and viewing and I stop the recording and press the red button nothing happens. Ditto if I go to the end or even pause the recording. The red button does nothing. That's why I am asking the question. Maybe an issue with my remote.
post #1278 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Did you follow the instructions and format your USB stick FAT32?

Yes.
post #1279 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Videobruce,

Here is a problem that should be #1 or so on the fix list. It may be related to the previous issue I mentioned about not being able to delete shows easily.

If you are watching a previously recorded show with Media Player and during the show the PHD-VRX goes into recording mode for a scheduled recording (REC-1) you can't do anything with the remote except shut the unit down. I hit just about every button on the remote when I was done viewing the recorded show to get out of Media player. Meanwhile the 30 minute show I was recording just kept on recording beyond the 30 minutes like it was stuck and when I finally shut the PHD-VRX down it appears the 30 minute recording got blown away.
post #1280 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

LenL;
We have two conversations going on here. Are you using USB stick or a HDD?

post #1281 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I have only one conversation with you about my issues. I'm also trying to help WhidbeyGreg.

MY setup is plain vanilla. I have a 1 GB HD connected to one USB port. OTA antenna split into 2 .....feeding both RF jacks.
post #1282 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I presume you meant a 1 TB hard drive? wink.gif
post #1283 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The "we" referred to the thread.
I'll have to go back and recheck. I'm in the middle of something now.

post #1284 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM

videobruce:

I have reloaded the new March 2013 firmware. I took every possible precaution to get a clean upgrade. For example I re downloaded the firmware. I formatted the USB key. I wrote the firmware directly to the USB key. Before upgrading I unplugged and restarted the PHD VRX.. then watched a few minutes of TV before shutting it down one last time for the upgrade. Plus I followed the instructions supplied by Epvsion step by step.

Result: The unit appears to successfully upgrade. However the remote control receiver circuit worked very slowly and ignored the first 3 to 5 pushes before responding and executing the command. Undaunted I chose to perform the upgrade again (on a hunch that there is a problem with the upgrade process that users have no control over). After the upgrade I would immediately test the remote control receiver again and get the same result as above. So I decided to do it again. In all i reimaged/upgraded the PHD-VRX four times with the same March code.

After the fourth upgrade the remote control receiver worked perfectly every time. It responds instantly to any command and correctly reads the remote control from all the postiions in the room it had trouble with previously. So I left the unit on to "burn in". Each day for the last five I would test the remote to see how it works. For the first three it was flawless.

So I added a few entries into the recording screen.. It recorded them correctly the first time. However the first entry on the screen got stuck in the R mode on the day following (day 5) and no further recordings would execute. There is no way to correct the unit stuck in the R mode.

So I decided to reimage/upgrade the unit again. The R was gone. I reprogrammed the same recordings again. The next day no recordings had executed. The R had reappeared on the same tv show/time it had been on before. So I made this entry INactive. Tried to create another entry and was advised that it conflicts with the INactive entry showing the R. So i chose to take the bait and cancel. I then went back to the entry showing the R and made it active again. I left the unit over night. This morning the unit had executed the recording and the stuck R was gone. However the remote control receiver is now working like a dog again dog again. The receiver ignores the first three pushes of a command and then executes on the fourth push. (my camcorder trick verifies the remote itself is working ok)

While enduring the above I also discovered cases wehre the panel controls do not perform the labelled action... while the remote does.

I also discovered the RESET ALL button does not work. It only resets certain things. ex the panel clock does not get wiped. so it would be safe to assume that other things in memory are not getting wiped either.

Having upgraded large amounts of routers with new firmware and changed to Linux OS I can safely say I am an expert at this . Most upgrades cause problems when there was a failure to clear memory and cold start prior to an upgrade. Also there can be problems if the tech fails to wait a predetermined long period of time after an upgrade to allow the unit to finish writing changes to storage. (ex five minutes) The last upgrade had a cfe.bin change which can be like asking for trouble.

In summary there must be problems wtih the upgrade not taking as we dont know how to hard reset this device to factory before upgrading. Also rushing to try it out right after the "no ch" appears is porbably a mistake. Give it time. Once we get this to happen reliably then we can get a chance to try out the firmware the way Epvision meant us to see it. This is something I am still waiting to experience.
post #1285 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

If you are watching a previously recorded show with Media Player and during the show the PHD-VRX goes into recording mode for a scheduled recording (REC-1) you can't do anything with the remote except shut the unit down. I hit just about every button on the remote when I was done viewing the recorded show to get out of Media player. Meanwhile the 30 minute show I was recording just kept on recording beyond the 30 minutes like it was stuck and when I finally shut the PHD-VRX down it appears the 30 minute recording got blown away.

I got the same issue a couple of time. In that circumstance, my recorded show doesn't appear in the Record menu but can be found in the Video menu instead.
post #1286 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Have you reverted back to a older version?
Other than the hardware itself, is there any issue of stray light, either sunlight and/or florescent? is there anything that would create a RF field as in a PC for starters since they are very 'dirty'?
Have you tried this in another room?

All of that is drawing from straws.

post #1287 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I presume you meant a 1 TB hard drive? wink.gif

Yes...good catch!
post #1288 of 2273 Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM

videobruce does any only else have skipping?

Quote:

I'm still running the recent firmware, I didn't revert back. That recording was off of TWC, not OTA due to antenna direction and reception.
The issue with WBBZ, appears to be a similar issue that Smithdoor and another (unknown) VRX owner in Florida reported.

revised observations
post #1289 of 2273 Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Another Media Player Issue:

Personally I don't like the PHD-VRX asking when you if you want to start Media Player when you turn it on. I would like to turn it on and have it go right to a tuner and watch TV. That aside, if you view a previously recorded show this way you can delete it when you are done (provided a scheduled recording has not started).

However if you choose to not use Media player and watch TV at startup and then later go into Menu and then Media Player to watch a previously recorded show you CAN NOT delete that show when you are done. Media Player behaves differently depending on if you start it when the unit turns on or you latter go to it!

I should get paid for testing and debugging this unit! Hello Allan...are you listening? Send me and VideoBruce the money you owe us for doing basic testing and debugging of your not ready for prime time unit!
post #1290 of 2273 Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't like the PHD-VRX asking when you if you want to start Media Player when you turn it on.
Neither did anyone else. A option was added in the 2nd last firmware.
Quote:
Media Player behaves differently depending on if you start it when the unit turns on or you latter go to it!
You got me on this one. confused.gif

Quote:
I should get paid for testing and debugging this unit! Hello Allan...are you listening? Send me and VideoBruce the money you owe us for doing basic testing and debugging of your not ready for prime time unit!
Don't forget to add HDTV1080p for the observations regarding HDMI to the list. He/they couldn't afford to pay me for all the months I have spent on this in the past two years.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page