Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1351 of 2331 Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I my market, AFAIK, the very limited FiOS served areas in the suburbs, all the channels are encrypted.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2331 Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I my market, AFAIK, the very limited FiOS served areas in the suburbs, all the channels are encrypted.

The areas around the nation that do have FIOS nationwide currently offer all the local channels in the clear with no extra video compression. The local in the clear QAM channels are bit for bit the same as the master broadcast on the Verizon network. Also the EpVision programing guide works with around 80% of the Verzion FIOS in the clear channels.

Yes its possible that Verizion one day might encrypt 100% of their QAM channels including local channels. However if Verizon does do so it will be because they want to charge a monthly rental fee for each cablecard or settop box and not because of a security issue. For a customer that does not pay their bill or cancels cable service, Verizon can just send a signal to the fiber network interface on the side of the house to turn off the cable signal completely including all the in the clear channels. Most other cable companies have to send a technician out to the house or apartment to physically disconnect the RG6 cable from the street. In the link I provided this is one of the excuses the cable companies used on the FCC to allow them to encrypt all channels including locals.
post #1353 of 2331 Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Why wood you go with TIVOwith a Monthly FEE using cable Just get a DVR from the cable company most have one for less than TIVO per month.
The PHD VRX works great for OTA no monthly fee it is low cost to buy and uses very little power
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

Here is a link with more information on why Comcast has started encrypting 100% of all channels in some markets (The link also mentions why Verizon FIOS might decided not to encrypt the local in the clear QAM channels).
Then again the TIVO is the way to go for those that want all the features. If the Blu-ray format did not exist I would have went with a TIVO, however since 99% of my TV watching is Blu-ray discs I felt a TIVO would have been a waste of money.
post #1354 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The areas around the nation that do have FIOS nationwide currently offer all the local channels in the clear
Are you absolutely sure all markets have locals 'in the clear'?? wink.gif
The other two statements I'm more than aware of.

As far as blocking OTA locals on CATV, what's the big deal, the programming is still available with an antenna. Other than convenience, there is no difference.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #1355 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Smithdoor,

You might be the only person on the planet who thinks the PHD-VRX works great for OTA. In fact I think you might be Alan (the owner). On a scale of 1-5 for OTA I give it a 1.
post #1356 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I can assure you he isn't Allen.

Hey Len, I guess you never used a TiVo?? You wouldn't give this a 'one' if you did. And I always thought Sony was over rated.
The are solid reasons why I rated the DVR's the way I did. In spite of of a couple of comments from some 'fan boys'. tongue.gif

post #1357 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Videobruce,

I understand you rate these DVRs on all their features including OTA and non OTA abilities.

My point was specifically about the PHD-VRX OTA features. I have OTA DVR only interests. This DVR for OTA specific use is a 1. If you want a DVR to use with cable or satellite, or to look at photos or UTUBE etc then these may be things the PHD-VRX does. I have no idea about these features as I have NO interest in using the PHD_VRX for these features. I have other devices to do this and they probably do them better.

I appreciate all the work you do to test and review the DVR options we have.

I don't have to agree with you all the time though.
post #1358 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
1. If you want a DVR to use with cable or satellite, or to look at photos or UTUBE etc then these may be things the PHD-VRX does.
None of these are for satellite, many aren't that great for CATV, especially this, since you can't record analog. Since CATV is unfortunately changing for the worst, none of these will be any good at all in the near future. Lastly, the interface for You Tube is poor.
Compared to the others, it isn't that bad. You know I'm more than aware of the shortfalls, but compared to 10 months ago, it's huge improvement. You don't know how bad it was when it was released.

I don't expect you or anyone else to agree on everything. I just tried to look at everything. No different than any 'professional' reviewer which I am not, nor claim to be. wink.gif

post #1359 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you absolutely sure all markets have locals 'in the clear'?? wink.gif
The other two statements I'm more than aware of.

As far as blocking OTA locals on CATV, what's the big deal, the programming is still available with an antenna. Other than convenience, there is no difference.

In this post I will attempt to answer your question and questions that other people have asked.

To be absolutely sure one would need to visit every location in the United States that has Verizon FIOS to test their network for in the clear channels. I have not done that. However, with my communications with Verizon technicians in the past it has been my understanding that all the local channels are in the clear in all of their markets (Verizon is 100% digital QAM nationwide).

The problem with some locations in the United States is that they have homeowners associations that prevent an outdoor TV antenna with a rotor from being connected outside. So instead, I am using an indoor small attic antenna that receives only around 80% of the local channels that Verizon offers. On Verizon FIOS there is 20% of the local channels that can only be received on their network since my TV antenna situation at the moment does not allow me to place one outside. Also there is some local channels that I get with the TV antenna that Verizon does not offer since the stations are more than 50 miles away from their service area. Also around 2% of the in the clear QAM channels on the Verizon network offer some basic cable channels that is not even offered with the over the air broadcast stations. So with the EpVision PHD-VRX I have the best of both worlds since there is 4 channel maps with 2 RF inputs. I get the local ATSC channels in my area and also the in the clear Verizon FIOS channels (some channels are duplicates while other channels exclusive). One still needs to subscribe to high speed Internet with either a cable company or DSL company. So I have no plans to disconnect the cable service.

Remember 99% of my time spent watching TV is Blu-ray discs that I own or rent. There have been some months were I have never watched a single TV channel at all and received my news from the Internet. Other family members in the house choose to spend most of their time watching 1080i HD premium programming that they subscribe to with a Motorola HD DVR. If in the future I decide to watch more cable TV then I can purchase a TIVO and rent a cablecard. The one thing I do not like about the TIVO is that it will not do everything that the cable companies boxes do, like no access to video on demand channels and the original cable companies GUI cannot be accessed.

If I did not spend 99% of my time watching 1080P Blu-ray discs with lossless audio then yes I would subscribe to all or many of the 1080i premium movie channels on the Verizon FIOS network.
post #1360 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM

No I have connection with Epvision I have had only one problem with the PHD VRX and most of that is going away.
I compare the PHD VRX to what is out there and with VCR's also the over all cost.
I have far less issue with the PHD VRX than the U Vers Comcast and Dish and I an not paying a monthly FEE
What I pay for On a scale of 1-5 it is 5 biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Even Tivo will cost $180 a year and U Vers Comcast and Dish you will pay $840 and up a year.

As a DRV for OTA use it is great if looking for some else you will have to pay more good luck

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Smithdoor,

You might be the only person on the planet who thinks the PHD-VRX works great for OTA. In fact I think you might be Alan (the owner). On a scale of 1-5 for OTA I give it a 1.
post #1361 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

The EpVision PHD-VRX is the best subscription free tuner I have every used for those that need 2 separate RF inputs. The EpVision exclusive feature that no other subscription free product offers, is its 4 channel map memory with 2 RF inputs. If EpVision would have marketed the PHD-VRX as a deluxe ATSC/QAM tuner only it would be a very popular product (plus one tuner also handles legacy NTSC). The greatest weakness of the PHD-VRX is when consumers try and turn it into a HD DVR with an external hard drive. Hopefully EpVision programmers will be able to fix those issues with a firmware update.

Another issue is that one still needs to use an optical cable connection to their A/V receiver to get 5.1 Dolby Digital sound since the PHD-VRX only offers variable 2.0 PCM over HDMI. JVC made a D-VHS machine back in 2004 with a built in ATSC tuner that passes 5.1 Dolby Digital over its HDMI output. All modern satellite, cable boxes, and other brands of ATSC tuners with a HDMI output will pass 5.1 Dolby Digital. So hopefully a future firmware update will add that 5.1 Dolby Digital feature to the PHD-VRX’s HDMI output. The current work around to the problem requires consumers to run both HDMI and a optical audio cable to their A/V receiver.
post #1362 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 10
No matter what I try, my PHD-VRX will only record the first 41-47 minutes of any program. I have tried manual recording and recording from the guide. I even updated the firmware to the newest firmware. Any suggestions?
post #1363 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
they have homeowners associations that prevent an outdoor TV antenna with a rotor from being connected outside.
Which is illegal. Those should be called concentration camps with that type of mentality. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
The EpVision exclusive feature that no other subscription free product offers, is its 4 channel map memory with 2 RF inputs.
I have been saying that all along.
Quote:
The current work around to the problem requires consumers to run both HDMI and a optical audio cable to their A/V receiver.
Or optical to the A/V receiver and HDMI to the TV.

post #1364 of 2331 Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1. There is a dedicated thread for this,
2. What are you trying to record to? It sounds as it's a USB stick with very limited storage capability.

post #1365 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

The EpVision PHD-VRX is the best subscription free tuner I have every used for those that need 2 separate RF inputs. The EpVision exclusive feature that no other subscription free product offers, is its 4 channel map memory with 2 RF inputs. If EpVision would have marketed the PHD-VRX as a deluxe ATSC/QAM tuner only it would be a very popular product (plus one tuner also handles legacy NTSC). The greatest weakness of the PHD-VRX is when consumers try and turn it into a HD DVR with an external hard drive. Hopefully EpVision programmers will be able to fix those issues with a firmware update.

Another issue is that one still needs to use an optical cable connection to their A/V receiver to get 5.1 Dolby Digital sound since the PHD-VRX only offers variable 2.0 PCM over HDMI. JVC made a D-VHS machine back in 2004 with a built in ATSC tuner that passes 5.1 Dolby Digital over its HDMI output. All modern satellite, cable boxes, and other brands of ATSC tuners with a HDMI output will pass 5.1 Dolby Digital. So hopefully a future firmware update will add that 5.1 Dolby Digital feature to the PHD-VRX’s HDMI output. The current work around to the problem requires consumers to run both HDMI and a optical audio cable to their A/V receiver.

I'm not going to argue with you.. All I can say as a PALDVR (DTVPAL) owner I can honestly say that this unit would be a "1" in comparison.

The remote is a 1 compared to the PALDVR remote. There is NO comparison. When you buy this unit you have to plan on buying a better remote? That should not have to happen.

The picture quality is awful no matter how much you try to adjust it and this is the failing of the unit. It should pass the received channel on to the TV as is and let the TV control the picture like the PALDVR. I give PQ a "1".

The unit has all kinds of issues with displaying the program guide in a sensible easy to use way. It gets a "1" rating.

The unit has major issues with recording a show while a previously recorded show is being viewed. It ties up a tuner when you watch a previously recorded show. So if you have recordings going on using both tuners you CAN NOT use the PHD-VRX!

By the way just look at VIDEOBRUCES list of issues and you will see that the PHD_VRX has major problems. This list is not even fully complete! I'm sure there are issues not even on the list yet.

This may be the best tuner you ever used, but it doesn't even come close to being a decent OTA DVR.
post #1366 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The remote is a 1 compared to the PALDVR remote. There is NO comparison. When you buy this unit you have to plan on buying a better remote? That should not have to happen.
While the remote is somewhat important, I wouldn't make it a deal breaker no matter how bad it is. 99% of the time I use a learning remote to control devices connected in the same room. Why would anyone want two, three, four or more remotes laying around??
Quote:
The picture quality is awful no matter how much you try to adjust it and this is the failing of the unit.
Then you have some other serious problem somewhere. Granted default settings are incorrect, but they can easily be changed. The only annoyance is when you go to view either photos or recording made outside this where you have to 'bump' each of the settings for them to take hold. Annoying, but surely not a deal breaker.
As far as false contouring, it only is visible with a small percentage of programs. Chances are, many would not notice it, especially if they don't know what it is, or what it looks like.
Quote:
The unit has major issues with recording a show while a previously recorded show is being viewed. It ties up a tuner when you watch a previously recorded show. So if you have recordings going on using both tuners you CAN NOT use the PHD-VRX!
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have recorded two programs and watched a previous recording when I tested this more than once and had no issue (as long as the drive is formatted to ext2).

Lastly, as far as the list goes, over 50% of those are what should be simple firmware fixes, many just name changes or recognizing the menu structure. Something a decent programmer should have little trouble doing. But, when you are dealing with stubborn, closed minded foreigners that think they know what works best in another country, that is what you get.
Of course, that situation is not limited just here.
Quote:
This may be the best tuner you ever used, but it doesn't even come close to being a decent OTA DVR.
When I received it almost a year ago I would agree, as it stands now, it is "close" to what a DVR should be. Surely not there, but clearly better than a year ago.smile.gif

post #1367 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Quote:
Why would anyone want two, three, four or more remotes laying around??
It's a matter of opinion.  The first time I used a multi-device remote I expected a huge improvement over using two or three separate ones, but practicality differed from theory: the PITA of always making sure in the dim light of a room illuminated only by the television that the remote was in the right mode for the device I next wanted to control was much worse for me than keeping two or three remotes within reach and distinguishing them by their size, weight, or shape.  The lamp could stay off and my gaze could stay on the screen, and I wasn't changing sending a signal for the wrong function on the wrong device all the time.

[Also, all preprogrammed universal remotes I've seen leave some functions unsupported in some or all modes, so for those of you who like a single multi-device controller, a learning remote is a must.]
post #1368 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
the PITA of always making sure in the dim light of a room illuminated only by the television that the remote was in the right mode for the device I next wanted to control was much worse for me than keeping two or three remotes within reach and distinguishing them by their size, weight, or shape.
That wasn't all the remotes fault, it was yours. You control the situation, lighting and other wise.
Sitting in a completely dark room is bad in the first place, especially for you eyes. Also, if that remote was not back lit, it was the wrong choice, especially in that situation.
Quote:
all preprogrammed universal remotes I've seen leave some functions unsupported in some or all modes
A "pre-programed remote is not the answer. A "learning" remote is. You teach it just what you need it to do. Forgetting the other bells & whistles that you wouldn't use (at least on any regular basis).

Have you tried any learning remote??

post #1369 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Len;

I retried your issue and I had no failures. I did it twice, recording two 'HD' programs (one on each tuner) while watching a recorded program (one was SD, the 2nd was HD) and there was no playback issue. When I watched both recordings at the time of the triple duty, there were no breakups either. Neither time did anything stop recording before it was scheduled.

What firmware version are you using? If it was three revisions ago or earlier, that is probably the problem. wink.gif

post #1370 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Bruce,

When you want to switch from operating device #1 to operating device #2, you like to press a mode key on a universal remote. I'd rather change remotes. Neither of us is wrong, and neither of us has to convert the other to his own point of view.

You selected a handle for AVS Forum based on your given name. I selected one based on my surname. Neither of us is wrong, and neither of us has to convert the other to his own point of view.
Quote:

That wasn't all the remotes fault, it was yours.
Where does the concept of "fault" come in?  There's no fault here, nothing to blame on anyone.  You have your preference, I have mine.
Quote:
Sitting in a completely dark room is bad in the first place, especially for you eyes.
The room is not completely dark (for one thing, there's a television glowing), but neither is it brightly lit enough for reading the buttons on the remote all the time, since after all I don't want room light to overcome the TV picture.  It's also uncomfortable on the eyes to watch television in too bright an environment.  One can learn the layout of the remote's buttons by feel but one has to look at the remote to check which mode it's in.  Feeling for the button to select the desired mode isn't enough; you need to look at the remote to see if your mode-selection keypress took before you press the next key.
Quote:
Also, if that remote was not back lit, it was the wrong choice, especially in that situation.
Agreed, but one still needs to look at the remote to find out which mode it's in.  Perhaps if the current mode could be found out by feel, I'd drop that point.
Quote:
A pre-programmed remote is not the answer. A "learning" remote is.
That's just what I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier 
for those of you who like a single multi-device controller, a learning remote is a must
yet you speak as if you were correcting me.
Quote:
Have you tried any learning remote??
Yes, and the experience was disappointing for an unrelated reason; but that's irrelevant here, because in my previous post I was praising learning remotes, not tearing them down as you somehow imagine.  Read it again.

Another consideration is explaining the concept of modes to others in the household who would use the same remote.  In my case, there's one who never could get it and, whenever she accidentally changed the mode and then a subsequent keypress didn't accomplish the intended function, she would scream for me to come immediately and replace the batteries.  Is there anyone besides you who uses your universal remote, and if so, are any of them like her that way?

I'll give universal remotes another try when someone sells a learning remote at a price I can afford where the current mode can be found out by feel.  Being in my sixties already, I don't expect to live that long.
post #1371 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Len;

I retried your issue and I had no failures. I did it twice, recording two 'HD' programs (one on each tuner) while watching a recorded program (one was SD, the 2nd was HD) and there was no playback issue. When I watched both recordings at the time of the triple duty, there were no breakups either. Neither time did anything stop recording before it was scheduled.

What firmware version are you using? If it was three revisions ago or earlier, that is probably the problem. wink.gif

I have the latest firmware.
post #1372 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

It's a matter of opinion.  The first time I used a multi-device remote I expected a huge improvement over using two or three separate ones, but practicality differed from theory: the PITA of always making sure in the dim light of a room illuminated only by the television that the remote was in the right mode for the device I next wanted to control was much worse for me than keeping two or three remotes within reach and distinguishing them by their size, weight, or shape.  The lamp could stay off and my gaze could stay on the screen, and I wasn't changing sending a signal for the wrong function on the wrong device all the time.

[Also, all preprogrammed universal remotes I've seen leave some functions unsupported in some or all modes, so for those of you who like a single multi-device controller, a learning remote is a must.]

dattier....I agree with you.

Videobruce, I don't use a universal remote and I like to have separate remotes for all my devices, remotes that are designed to be used with those devices. I find that I like that best. Usually I just use one remote to watch TV only and 2 remotes to run the TV and DVR. I really don't find this to be an issue or a burden.

Of all the remotes I have the PHD-VRX is the poorest working, least responsive and poorly designed. To pay plus $200 for a DVR w/o a hard drive and get a product with such a bad remote that requires one to get a replacement is just plain DUMB!
post #1373 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

My latest PHD-VRX problem.

Got up today and noticed the front panel displayed REC-1. It stayed that way for about 5 hours.

I proceeded to turn on the TV only to find that not one button on the remote would work except for the off button. The TV displayed the screen you get when the DVR comes out of the Boot process asking you if you want the MEDIA player. However the remote buttons did not work. So I turned it off and
post #1374 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

PQ is terrible and I changed the default settings to the ones you recommended. In fact from channel to channel the PQ changes. Flesh tones are awful shades of orange on CBS 2.1. If I try to fix it for that channel I can only make some improvement but it gets worse on other channels.

If you ever get to NJ you are invited to stop in and see for yourself.

If I just use my TV there ARE NO ISSUES like this. My PALDVR does not cause an issues like this.

Yes I have the latest firmware!
post #1375 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

The only reason I purchased the EpVision PHD-VRX is because it is the only ATSC/QAM tuner on the market that has 2 RF inputs with 4 channel maps. As a tuner its been the best I have every used since it picks up weak stations that other ATSC tuners cannot receive. For those consumers that do not need 2 RF inputs with both ATSC and QAM then there is most likely much better products on the market. I have not tested every single tuner out there.

I also have no problems recording two HD programs at once while viewing a previous recorded HD program at the same time. I am also using a top of the line external 2TB 7,200 RPM hard drive. The recording performance is going to very from consumer to consumer since some people are using slower USB flash drives and slower hard drives.
post #1376 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Where does the concept of "fault" come in?
You complained about not being able to see the buttons in a dark room. If it was back lit it probably wouldn't be a problem as I stated.
Quote:
It's also uncomfortable on the eyes to watch television in too bright an environment.
But, it is much worse to watch it with no lights.
Quote:
but one still needs to look at the remote to find out which mode it's in.
But you are looking at the original remote also aren't you?
Quote:
in my previous post I was praising learning remotes, not tearing them down as you somehow imagine. Read it again.
I didn't imaging anything, nor did I state you were "tearing down" anything. The issue was what you were complaining about which was stated as a universal remote, not a learning remote.
There is no need to re-read it, since I saw your praise for learning remotes which, according to what you posted you didn't have.
Quote:
Is there anyone besides you who uses your universal remote, and if so, are any of them like her that way?
Yes to the first, sometimes to the 2nd. Two identical remotes for two different setups. If you know one, you pretty much know the other. Ecxept fo soft buttons and a couple that were learned different than what they were labeled, it's just less confusing vs eight or more separates for every piece of equipment involved.

Yes, you can use whatever you want, I addressed your complaints. Having a table full of separate remotes surely seems more complicated to me. Every one is different, you have to memorize each and every one vs just one.
As far as this remote, if your ever used the remote for their older 205 tuner, you wouldn't criticize this as much. It is an improvement. You also need to take into consideration, this isn't a mainstream device from a main stream manufacture. You almost have to expect something like this.

If you think this is bad, look at the remote for that iView. wink.gif

post #1377 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I proceeded to turn on the TV only to find that not one button on the remote would work except for the off button. The TV displayed the screen you get when the DVR comes out of the Boot process asking you if you want the MEDIA player. However the remote buttons did not work. So I turned it off and
and..............??
Ok, it locked up. Did you power off and power back up? I don't remember reading a thread of other DVR's that their units didn't lock up once in a while. The Sony's that I had for 6+ years did.
Quote:
PQ is terrible and I changed the default settings to the ones you recommended. In fact from channel to channel the PQ changes. Flesh tones are awful shades of orange on CBS 2.1. If I try to fix it for that channel I can only make some improvement but it gets worse on other channels.
1. Have you tried it on another TV?
2. How id the video directly off the TV w/o the DVR?
3. If all of this is just color issues, I wouldn't say it's "PQ is terrible", that is too broad of a statement.

post #1378 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

If you think this is bad, look at the remote for that iView. wink.gif
eek.gif but as much as I detest that little remote it's still probably the only remote I'll use with it. Like Len L I like to use original remotes and the few times I've tried universal remotes it's just been one more remote on my table since I like to keep the original remote.
post #1379 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You complained about not being able to see the buttons in a dark room.
No; in fact I spoke of finding buttons by feel as something I prefer to do.  My complaint is about the annoyance of determining the current device selection of a multi-device remote, which is a problem in any amount of light but is worse in darkness.
Quote:
If it was back lit it probably wouldn't be a problem as I stated.
Backlighting eases it but doesn't solve it.
Quote:
But you are looking at the original remote also aren't you?
Not after having become familiar with it.
Quote:
... it's just less confusing vs eight or more separates for every piece of equipment involved. 
Eight or more?  OK, even for me the balance would begin to tip at that point because of the annoyance of selecting the correct remote from the line-up, but I have no more than three devices to control in any single room.
Quote:
Every one is different,
And that was my point: that your preference is just that, and that there is room for other opinions.
post #1380 of 2331 Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Try hooking up the internet clock setting. Also try re-installing the firmware (unplug ever thing then do the update)
Mine record ever time at the right time I use internet clock setting wink.gif
I use my PHD VRX just as a DVR OTA only work great

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkaiser View Post

No matter what I try, my PHD-VRX will only record the first 41-47 minutes of any program. I have tried manual recording and recording from the guide. I even updated the firmware to the newest firmware. Any suggestions?
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page