6Likes

post #1621 of 2355 Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Even the Sony's I had locked up when you sent too many commands in a short period of time. Is there any pattern to when they happen?
have you tried this in another room?
If I remember correctly, the first lockup occurred after I had set up some recordings and then went out for the day. When I returned, the recordings were completed and the unit was still on, but when I turned on the TV I had no picture and no response to any button presses. I believe I tried everything including removing and replacing the HDMI cable, but it's possible it was some HDMI issue. I wish I had tried the other HDTV/monitor I had sitting right next to my TV, but I didn't. Anyway, I pressed Standby twice and it never got past booting.

The second lockup occurred while I was using it. I'm pretty sure I was recording and watching a previous recording at the same time. I wanted to leave the playback I was watching and return to the list of recordings/videos or live TV and all of a sudden it wouldn't respond. It may have had something to do with me randomly pressing the colored buttons on the remote since I could never remember, or never knew, what they were supposed to do. Once again I pressed Standby, which of course unceremoniously ended my recording, and it wouldn't get past booting again.

I got to the point where if I was recording and/or watching something I was afraid of pressing any button for fear that it would lockup again.

-JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2355 Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Did you try this in another room?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1623 of 2355 Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 410
What videobruce means is that when setting up the PHD-VRX, you need to take its ZenTek ® sensor into consideration. If it doesn't like the vibrations in the room where you try to use it, you'll have nothing but problems with it. Keep trying different rooms in your house (and the attic or basement, if possible) until you find one where the PHD-VRX feels comfortable and at ease. Once your DVR adjusts to its surroundings, it will work better. You might also get better results if you wait to set it up until the next full moon. Don't worry; the ZenTek ® customer aggravation system is patented and guaranteed to make setting up your DVR an unforgettable experience!

-WARNING-

Individuals with a history of high blood pressure should not attempt to use ZenTek ® products. Stop use and ask your doctor immediately if you experience sudden onsets of rage, confusion, or despair after using a DVR equipped with a ZenTek ® sensor.

wink.gif
post #1624 of 2355 Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ZenTek ???
You lost me on this. confused.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1625 of 2355 Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Did you try this in another room?
Can't say that I did. What would the room it's in have to with it locking up?

Aleron Ives, too funny!

-JT
post #1626 of 2355 Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1. RF from other devices (electronics are dirty, they generate a lot of RF,
2. Light falling on the IR receiver (sun and/or florescent),
3. Interference from other remote devices when using their remote control.

Taking jabs at any possibility. Have you dl'ed another copy of the latest firmware? What you have may be croupted somehow.

Post #1 updated.

post #1627 of 2355 Old 06-23-2013, 02:35 PM

All good points, but I really doubt it was any of those and it came with the current firmware that caused the first lockup. I wanted to try an experiment, but I never got around to it. I believe if it's in the middle of recording something and it loses power or you inadvertently press Standby, it will fail to boot the next time you try. At least that's how mine seemed to act.

Anyway, it's back in Anaheim now.

-JT
post #1628 of 2355 Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by renojim View Post

All good points, but I really doubt it was any of those and it came with the current firmware that caused the first lockup. I wanted to try an experiment, but I never got around to it. I believe if it's in the middle of recording something and it loses power or you inadvertently press Standby, it will fail to boot the next time you try. At least that's how mine seemed to act.

Anyway, it's back in Anaheim now.

-JT

I always had an issue when it was recording and I tried to do something. Like watch a previously recorded show. I found the best thing to do is to not use it when it is recording. I had the latest firmware too.
post #1629 of 2355 Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renojim View Post

Before I sent it back I stumbled upon a useful feature that I don't recall seeing mentioned in this thread.
-JT

Wow, smart move. I wasn't.
I made the mistake of buying the POS-PHD-VRX a few months before disconnecting the lifeline from DirecTV, and didn't have the luxury of returning it in disgust after I'd realized the mistake I'd made. I just waited too long.

I obviously confused the PHD-VRX "Engineering Project" as an "Engineered Product".

All of the problems I've experienced are noted in this seemingly neverending thread. I was still running 22.xx something before we unplugged it.
All I wanted was freedom from a monthly paid service. DirecTV had me by the balls at $120 mo for crap that we didn't watch.

We're in a big metro area with a hundred OTA channels, so a dual tuner DVR initially appeared to be the way to go. Ahh, freedom...

We're not big TV watchers. I opted for an Apple TV after unplugging the PHD-VRX. The Apple TV was the only HDMI output streaming device the worked at 1080P with our 3yr old DVI-D (HDCP) projector. Yeah, I'm back on the monthly dole with subscription services. Although it's only 15% of the shaft that DirecTV had inserted.

I read that DirecTV is moving towards streaming. "F" them. They're still mailing please-come-back solicitations weekly in hopes of signing us up again.
post #1630 of 2355 Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"B stock" selling for $200;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm

post #1631 of 2355 Old 07-04-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

"B stock" selling for $200;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm
So no more new models? All refurbs and returns?
post #1632 of 2355 Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Might as well sell off the returns.

post #1633 of 2355 Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Big sale before they introduce the new model that will be the answer to all our desires. lol
post #1634 of 2355 Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
So the EpVision PHD-VRX is now discontinued?

I also noticed that there is no longer any new EpVision PHD-VRX units listed on the company’s website. I sent the EpVision company an email to verify the item has been discontinued. I am waiting for a reply. If the EpVision PHD-VRX has truly been discontinued then this might also mean that there might not be any future firmware updates to the PHD-VRX to add VUDU support and to fix the many bugs in the unit. I am also waiting on an email reply regarding the issue about firmware updates and if a new improved replacement unit is in the works.

Some people were able to purchase the PHD-VRX brand new when it first came out for around $199.99 as a special sale instead of the $229.95 retail price. What is disturbing is that the B-stock which might contain cosmetic defects and missing accessories is being sold for $199.88.

Quote from their website: “Factory B-Stock units come with full warranty and 100% tested with latest firmware. Units may have slight or minor blemishes or missing accessories.”

Also a new comparison PDF table has been created for the PHD-VRX: http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD_VRX_8VX_compare.pdf

I hope my EpVision PHD-VRX continues to work since it was the only subscription free ATSC/QAM tuner on the market that contained 2 separate RF inputs. Plus the 4 channel maps are a nice exclusive bonus. If my PHD-VRX breaks in the future and if it cannot be repaired then I will most likely end up purchasing a TIVO with a lifetime subscription since the TIVO is the only other external tuner on the market that has a dual RF input.
post #1635 of 2355 Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Most likely there out of stock waiting for a ship load and only have returns to sell.
Yes they use real ship, not FecEx/UPS
Below is from Save and Replay site

We have been testing this unit in our SaveAndReplay store for the past 6 Months and we are extremely impressed with this PVR unit, it has a great tuner, it works flawlessly runs cool and its tuner is very good. We have dropped the channel master 7400 as this new PHD-VRX is far superior and actually works really well. Come see it running in our store!
post #1636 of 2355 Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 PM

FYI EPVision is coming out with a update
This update is if you play to the end of the recording will not lock up
Note I have found On front panel push (INPUT/ENTER) two times wait 20 sec
post #1637 of 2355 Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This update is if you play to the end of the recording will not lock up
When did this start happening??
Is that the only 'fix'?

post #1638 of 2355 Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 PM

It only happens if you let a recording play pass the end and you have set for one time play. I try it last night and it does lock up.
Quote:

When did this start happening??
Is that the only 'fix'?
post #1639 of 2355 Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When was this discovered?? Is that the only fix for the firmware?

post #1640 of 2355 Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 PM

I did know till Allen told me so try try to run a recording to the end. So do not run a recording to end till you update the firmearw
Quote:

When was this discovered?? Is that the only fix for the firmware?
post #1641 of 2355 Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

Below is from Save and Replay site

We have been testing this unit in our SaveAndReplay store for the past 6 Months and we are extremely impressed with this PVR unit, it has a great tuner, it works flawlessly runs cool and its tuner is very good. We have dropped the channel master 7400 as this new PHD-VRX is far superior and actually works really well. Come see it running in our store!

Wow, six months of testing and no flaw. They should publish their test protocol to teach us how to run the PHD-VRX flawlessly!

Eric
post #1642 of 2355 Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 PM

I understand that the PHD-VRX uses picture settings to modify the image.

Can a user override those with the settings of the TV that is connected to that device?
post #1643 of 2355 Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 410
You can use the TV's settings to provide further image adjustment, but that won't stop the PHD-VRX from messing with the video on its own.
post #1644 of 2355 Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 PM

I rarely use my PHD-VRX given how many headaches it causes but sometimes I do if something is on HD and I don't want to use the VCR.
Well, I went to turn it on today and there was no clock. Won't power up or anything.
Looks like it died. I would say finally died but it's only about a year old.

VCR keeps on kicking.
post #1645 of 2355 Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 AM

I am new to this site and I apologize if I am not following the rules / protocol. I'm not quite sure how things work here.

I purchased a - PHD-VRX Recorder a few weeks ago. I am still getting used to it but I'm having some odd problems making recordings. I am recording from an HD antenna.

I'll schedule a recording and it all looks good ... but nothing gets recorded. When I look at the history it says it was recorded but there is no file to play. I took the disk off the unit and looked at it on my computer and there was nothing there. Another time as a test, I recorded 2 1/2 hour shows at the same time. The little window display showed " rEC 1-2" ... I waited until the display went back to normal but there was only 1 show recorded.

The other thing that has happened twice was I recorded 2 shows on 2 different days from WNED that were 1 1/2 hrs. long. One ended at around 52 mins and the other at 56. Right in the middle. Again when I look at the history menu ... it says it was recorded the whole 90 mins.

I also have some shows that are still showing as recording (Big Red R) even though they've finished.

I have powered the unit right off and did a factory reset and set it up again and the same thing happens.

Any idea why this is happening? I don't see any kind of error messages.
post #1646 of 2355 Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 124
What hard drive do you have connected and how did you format it?

When you record you are using both tuners separately when you have shows to record at the same time?

By the way...... what is an HD antenna?
post #1647 of 2355 Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 AM

HD is a 500M Seagate Freeagent formatted NTFS

Tuners - yes ... show one on tuner 1 and show 2 on tuner 2

HD Antenna ? I believe it's just a UHF antenna but it was labeled as "OUTDOOR HDTV ANTENNA"
post #1648 of 2355 Old 07-13-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, I went to turn it on today and there was no clock. Won't power up or anything.
Was it in standby, completely off (front power switch) or unplugged? If just in standby, power it off and wait a couple of minutes and power it back up. Has it been connected to your antenna, are you in a rural area with lightning issues?
Open it up and check the fuse and power supply.

post #1649 of 2355 Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

uttsjs;
Hello neighbor.
The problem is the HDD is formatted to NTFS which won't work using both tuners. You have to re-format it to ext2. Have you read through the 1st 10 posts??

post #1650 of 2355 Old 07-13-2013, 02:23 PM

Alrighty then ... That's not an option with windows ... but I'll figure it out.

re: first 10 posts ...as in RTFM? smile.gif ... as I said ... I am new here, but I'll go back and read. And thanks for taking the time to help ... appreciate it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page