Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
That's not an option with windows
It is if you install ext2 drivers. wink.gif
Take a look at post 2.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2358 Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Was it in standby, completely off (front power switch) or unplugged? If just in standby, power it off and wait a couple of minutes and power it back up. Has it been connected to your antenna, are you in a rural area with lightning issues?
Open it up and check the fuse and power supply.

It was plugged into a UPS so I know it had power. It has no lights. I've tried the power button and nothing. I've tried different electrical sockets and nothing.
I've opened it up but I don't know what I am looking at. I'm a software guy. Not a hardware guy. I don't what is a power fuse or power supply.
post #1653 of 2358 Old 07-14-2013, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The fuse is on the extreme left side of the board (F1), next to the AC input. Check the dual 12v outputs (top right). Also check for distorted caps or any component that looks like it had a 'heat' problem. You could ask for a replacement PS even if you have to pay for it (assuming this is out of warrenty. It's surely easy to replace.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1654 of 2358 Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 AM

Update ... I will re-format the drive to ext2 but that doesn't explain why some shows are not being recorded even when only one is scheduled at a time.

Yesterday I recorded a number of shows and they all worked up until 8:00 pm. I had one scheduled at 8 another at 9 and another at 12:30. All were for 1hr.

This morning, they are still showing in the "Upcoming Recording Schedule" with yesterday's date a green check mark etc. They are not showing in the recording history.

I can't help thinking I am missing something
post #1655 of 2358 Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Are these setup through the Guide or are they manually entered? Do some short test recordings of say 10 minutes and see what happens.

post #1656 of 2358 Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 AM

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Both ... I tried a few Manual tests last night one worked the other didn't. On Sat the ones that failed were all off the guide. 4 worked and 3 nothing ...

All the ones that failed are still showing up as still as being scheduled'

I got an email back from ePvision support and they suggest formatting to ext2 may help. Is this a common problem? Are others experiencing the same thing? I was wondering if it may be the drive. It's a 3 1/2 inch 500M Seagate.
post #1657 of 2358 Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The format used shouldn't have anything to do with recording one program at a time. It's when two programs are recorded where the use of NTFS is a problem. As stated very early in the thread, the problem isn't the NTFS format, it's the drivers they used. Probably outdated.
I haven't bothered using this for some time since the last update. I was hoping another update would be looming, but it looks like this might be it. hopefully I'm wrong.

post #1658 of 2358 Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:

The fuse is on the extreme left side of the board (F1), next to the AC input. Check the dual 12v outputs (top right). Also check for distorted caps or any component that looks like it had a 'heat' problem. You could ask for a replacement PS even if you have to pay for it (assuming this is out of warrenty. It's surely easy to replace.

Everything on the board looks perfectly fine. Nothing stands out as being over-heated or anything.
post #1659 of 2358 Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Then follow through with the other points.

post #1660 of 2358 Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 AM

Update ... I formatted the Seagate drive as ext2 ...

- plugged it in and scheduled 2 shows from 3 - 3:30 and 3:30 to 4 "rec-1" appeared in the window at 3:00pm but the display went back to the time-of-day when I checked at ~ 3:40. I looked on the ePvision unit Nothing on the drive and nothing in the history log. Looked at it on my computer ... nothing there.

- plugged in another NTFS drive (It is a 1TeraB WD with lots of content so I didn't want to reformat. Again ... only half of the scheduled shows were recorded. Those that didn't record are still showing as "scheduled"

A few days ago, I updated the software to 243.15.24 off their web site. They just emailed me a current version to try 243.19.20. I'll install that and run some more tests. Beginning to think this unit is fubared.
post #1661 of 2358 Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

uttsjs;
You may have a 'quirky' unit. You could try an exchange.
You have a PM.

post #1662 of 2358 Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 AM

Don;t understand "You have a PM" ... ???.
post #1663 of 2358 Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Private Message. It was not on their FTP site.
I got the file ok. Thanks.

post #1664 of 2358 Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to uttsjs, he was sent this link for a new firmware version. I haven't seen any changes yet. This was suppose to solve the end of playback problem.
http://www.epvision.com/HDLCDTV/Documents/PHD_VRX_firmware-VRX_243_19_20.zip

post #1665 of 2358 Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
uttsjs. you are not alone. I have the same problems you describe and have been using a ext2 formatted disk. I have concluded that the phd-vrx has some sort of memory management problem that we cannot fix as users.. its in the firmware and how it uses any available memory.

One thing I have discovered that fouls up the recorder is the "recording history". I had over 90 records in the recording history and was having problems with the remote control operation and the recording timer operation. The control worked only randomly and all sorts of shows would be missed and not recorded leaving me in a very bad mood.

One day I sat and deleted the 90+ records one at a time and suddenly the unit became more reliable with the remote working most of the time and more shows getting recorded. However the problem is not completely solved. I notice that when you schedule back to back recordings like 9-10 followed by 10-11 it usually records the first set of back to back episodes. However if the same back to back is scheduled for a week later on a recurring schedule it sometimes records only the first show and then skips the second one. Other weeks it has failed to record either... resulting in a need to reboot the unit by removing the power cord. One reboot is usually not enough. Best advice is get a cold drink... and then sit down and reboot the unit about 5-6-7 times by repeatedly pulling the cord out of the wall and starting over.. before you start though make sure that the recording history is completely erased. (note that shutting the unit off and turning it on does not have the same effect as pulling the cord out of the wall..something I learned over many cold drinks and repeated cycling and testing

Best of luck.
post #1666 of 2358 Old 07-21-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have concluded that the phd-vrx has some sort of memory management problem that we cannot fix as users.. its in the firmware and how it uses any available memory.
1. Insufficient memory or the type of memory,
2. Corrupted memory with old data remaining and not getting clear out,
3. Insufficient processor and/or firmware compatibility.
Is this with this latest versions or all versions?
Quote:
(note that shutting the unit off and turning it on does not have the same effect as pulling the cord out of the wall.
Are you referring to the standby button or the power switch? The power button is a mechanical switch in line with the 'high' side which removes power from the power supply. You should wait 30 or so seconds before powering it back up to let the caps discharge. Open the case up and see yourself. You shouldn't be a need to remove the power cord.

post #1667 of 2358 Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The VRX may be a bit buggy as a DVR, but it performs superbly as a dual antenna HD tuner box and video scaler. I can connect 2 different antennas without the use of an A/B switch or a rotor. And it upscales the video quality of an entry level display into a higher end model. Without risking going into the service menu of the TV to tweak the presets. I recently installed it with a Samsung 51F5500 plasma, and the picture is stunning. Much improved with better blacks and overall contrast levels.
videobruce likes this.
post #1668 of 2358 Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Have either of you tried the new firmware?

post #1669 of 2358 Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Have either of you tried the new firmware?
post #1670 of 2358 Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The VRX may be a bit buggy as a DVR, but it performs superbly as a dual antenna HD tuner box and video scaler. I can connect 2 different antennas without the use of an A/B switch or a rotor. And it upscales the video quality of an entry level display into a higher end model. Without risking going into the service menu of the TV to tweak the presets. I recently installed it with a Samsung 51F5500 plasma, and the picture is stunning. Much improved with better blacks and overall contrast levels.

Yours is a unique situation. Hook it to a 2 year old Samsung LCD TV and the picture is not so good. If it would just not touch the OTA feed and pass it and let the TV do its thing. Most TVs will have better quality components.
post #1671 of 2358 Old 07-22-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you first have to adjust the picture settings on your TV to your own preferences. Then you also adjust the picture settings on the VRX as well. This will adjust the video scaling, which you cannot do as much on the TV itself without going into the service menu presets. But perhaps it works better on a plasma display rather than an LCD. But then again, in general, I think plasmas have better pic quality than LED/LCD. But not trying to start that debate again here.
post #1672 of 2358 Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Therin lies the rub. Most people who would buy this probably already have a TV with the picture just the way they like it. Then they buy this DVR and find they have a terrible picture and they have to try to get it to be like their TV again. That is just plain stupid design. I don't want to tell you how much aggravation I went through trying to get my TV picture good again. I would think I had it good with the PHD_VRX then I would go to another station and it would be awful. I would fix that picture and the channel I left would be bad.

The plasma versus LCD/LED TV debate is for another forum. We can agree on that.
post #1673 of 2358 Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 AM

I have it loaded. It's better (ie doesn't miss as many) but still recordings are being skipped. It worked great for 2 days. I was out of town for a few days and all the ones that were on a daily repeat were missed.
post #1674 of 2358 Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What did he say it was suppose to address?? confused.gif

post #1675 of 2358 Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 AM

I bought this unit solely as a DVR ... The tuner on my TV is great ... better than the PHD-VRX on my set. I'll try powering it off and on to see if that fixes anything.
post #1676 of 2358 Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Not sure ... I outlined all the problems I was having and they suggested installing the latest and greatest.
post #1677 of 2358 Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttsjs View Post

I bought this unit solely as a DVR ... The tuner on my TV is great ... better than the PHD-VRX on my set. I'll try powering it off and on to see if that fixes anything.
What brand of TV do you have? Some TV models do have very good tuners, and some better than others.
post #1678 of 2358 Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

What brand of TV do you have? Some TV models do have very good tuners, and some better than others.

Sony BRAVIA 55"
post #1679 of 2358 Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if they have now stopped production of the VRX now that they are only selling B stock?
post #1680 of 2358 Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
FYI
I call Allen today
Epvision is still making the DVR waiting for a shipment. They did make a change to the back of the DVR the rest is the same including the firmware. smile.gif
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page