Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

FYI
I call Allen today
Epvision is still making the DVR waiting for a shipment. They did make a change to the back of the DVR the rest is the same including the firmware. smile.gif
I wonder what type of change they made? I do hope they kept the dual antenna inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2316 Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using the media player on the phd-vrx to play videos from an external DLNA or UPnP server?

Everytime I go into the Media Player and select a external server, it takes forever to get to the first level of menus which (depending on the server) is just two folders (Images and Videos). Navigating to the sub folders and titles is just as slow or slower. (like 2-15 minutes to display).

The videos play just fine.

I have tried Plex, Serviio, Synology Media Player, & XBMC servers

BTW - i hate how the device starts to play the video when you scroll through the titles.
post #1683 of 2316 Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Someone mentioned some time ago that accessing a HDD with many files on it causes problems similar to what you mentioned. I assume the system doesn't deal with a large amount of files very well.
BTW, previewing recordings is somewhat common with many DVR's that have preview windows. wink.gif
xairrick likes this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1684 of 2316 Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 AM

videobruce: to answer your 2 questions.. The PHD-VRX cabinet has two buttons POWER and STANDBY. When I wrote Power I meant Power... no confusion there on my part. Yes this problem has plagued my unit through all firmware versions that I attempted to install. It worked OK (subject to all the known bugs) when I got it from the dealer way back when--(was it 3 or 4 firmware release ago) but have had nothing but problems since updating the firmware each time a release comes out.

Fortunately for me I eventually realized that cold starting/power cycling the unit 5,6,7 or more times might have a positive result... it has... my unit has run almost reliably (subject to known bugs) for almost 4 months now. Even the remote control that came with the unit works properly 98% of the time as a result of clearing out all the recording history records and rebooting.

Maybe you are right about the power switch being a hard break in the circuit.. however I know from upgrading routers.. that many procedures insist that you unplug the unit and also wait 30 or more seconds as you have suggested -often a minute and sometimes up to 90 seconds. These procedures also insist that using the power switch and unplugging are somehow different. As I dont want to brick my units I usually just go along with the procedure. So in the absence of any other advice from epvision I have tried unplugging the PVR and waiting a minute or more and have found that I get superior results compared to any other method (like just using the power button).
Another person wrote about problems watching video on the home LAN. This feature usually works for me ... but has an occasion problem that so far I have not been able to localize as there is no info on how the PHD VRX communicates with the servers. I have an LG-NAS N2R1 Ethernet storage centre. It has a media server and an optional DLNA feature that is turned on to support a PS3 in the house. The problem arises if you instruct the media server to rebuild its directory inside the LG NAS. Usually the NAS says its finished in a few minutes. Windows laptops can access and see all the files immediately after receipt of the ready message. However the PHD-VRX usually cant see or get any directories or video files on the LAN for about 12 hours after that event.

I say 12 because I have made the mistake of rebuilding the server directory at 7 or 8 pm and then find I cant watch anything with the Media player that is on the lan for the next 3 or 4 hours (until i go to bed).. but the next morning at 7 am everything is working perfectly as far as the PHDVRX playing files from the LAN.

Great concept the PHD-VRX. Hope the next f/w release refines this box even more.
post #1685 of 2316 Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Maybe you are right about the power switch being a hard break in the circuit.. however I know from upgrading routers.. that many procedures insist that you unplug the unit and also wait 30 or more seconds as you have suggested -often a minute and sometimes up to 90 seconds. These procedures also insist that using the power switch and unplugging are somehow different.
1. Using the power switch, it is kinda human nature to re-power it back up quicker with a easy to use switch. Pulling the plug takes longer and it would suggest more of a probability of the user keeping it unplugged longer to let the caps dischareg which is the whole purpose of this procedure.
2. I have noticed, apparently there is some 'leakage' with the switch 'off' after a period of time. I have noticed many times, the display flashes briefly (you really have to looking at it) every 10-20 minutes (just a guess) which tells me of leakage.

Yes unplugging is without a doubt safer, but there should be no 'leakage' if it was a properly designed switch. We are not talking high voltage or current here. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #1686 of 2316 Old 08-04-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Great concept the PHD-VRX. Hope the next f/w release refines this box even more.
I have been saying that for a couple of years. The downfall is the firmware and where it is written. mad.gif

post #1687 of 2316 Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I don't own one of these. But on most remote-controlled units, the power switch can't power off everything; otherwise you couldn't turn it back on with the remote. A minimum amount of circuitry remains powered even after you hit the power switch. That would explain the brief display flashes, and may be why unplugging it has a different effect than using the power switch.

Of course, if you find yourself power-cycling the unit frequently, there's nothing to prevent you from splicing a lamp-cord switch into the power cable, using a power strip with a switch, etc. You could even plug it into one of those timers and set it to power off for a few minutes every night (just choose a time when you won't be recording anything).
post #1688 of 2316 Old 08-07-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
But on most remote-controlled units, the power switch can't power off everything; otherwise you couldn't turn it back on with the remote.
Correct. Those are "standby" buttons as opposed to mechanical power switches that actually open the 'high' side of the AC input.
Quote:
A minimum amount of circuitry remains powered even after you hit the power switch. That would explain the brief display flashes
Except in this case. The switch has to have leakage. I never put a DVM to it, but that is the only explanation.

post #1689 of 2316 Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 AM

hi guys, i know this is a shameful plug, but I'm going to sell mine. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but its not getting used in the projector room now that I convinced my wife to let me buy a 60" LG for the living room biggrin.gif
I setup my house with HTPCs and last week added a HDHomerun unit for OTA rendering the VRX useless.

Rather not go to Fleabay, so trying this out first. My unit has hardly any use. **I'm also throwing in my 700gb inside an external usb 3.0 case (not original drive that came with the case) and an extra power cable (for drive) and extra usb 3.0 cable. The reason I have 2 sets was because I was didn't want to always unplug the cables to dump video files on my downstairs PC. So now I just unplug the hdd and have the plugs ready at the downstairs PC.

I'm thinking $200 shipped (US only), I'm in Houston (local pickup is best and cheaper),

If this post is unethical, by all means delete it cool.gif

Thanks
post #1690 of 2316 Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

You might cross-post your offer in one of the "Classifieds" forums at: http://www.avsforum.com/f/208/classifieds

That way folks who don't already follow the PHD-VRX thread will see it, and you should sell it faster
post #1691 of 2316 Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Thanks JHBrandt!
post #1692 of 2316 Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I am disappointed that the new TIVO Roamio dropped the 2 RF input feature which means consumers cannot have both cable and ATSC broadcast connected to the new TIVO Roamio at the same time. It looks like I will be sticking with my PHD-VRX that allows me to have both Verizon FIOS clear QAM channels and the local ATSC broadcast channels using the exact same tuner with a push of a button. TIVO keeps removing features like 2 RF inputs that some consumers like.
post #1693 of 2316 Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It's JHBrandt's Law: Every "upgrade" always includes at least one downgrade rolleyes.gif
Clint S. likes this.
post #1694 of 2316 Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The best part of PHD-VRX is no fees to use the DVR
I do not know why you would get TIVO as still cost ever month to use there DVR
The whole purpose is to avoid a monthly fee from my view

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

I am disappointed that the new TIVO Roamio dropped the 2 RF input feature which means consumers cannot have both cable and ATSC broadcast connected to the new TIVO Roamio at the same time. It looks like I will be sticking with my PHD-VRX that allows me to have both Verizon FIOS clear QAM channels and the local ATSC broadcast channels using the exact same tuner with a push of a button. TIVO keeps removing features like 2 RF inputs that some consumers like.
post #1695 of 2316 Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, for most folks, buying a TiVo is sort of like buying a DVR on credit. You pay just a little bit up front, then pay a little more every month. I can see the attractiveness for folks who want to take home a DVR and start using it for under $100. Of course, savvy buyers will pay the up-front cost anyway and invest in a lifetime subscription, but most folks don't think about how much a $10/month subscription ends up costing them in the long run.

Also, TiVo is often the only DVR you'll find in retail stores. You have to be a savvy Internet shopper to even know about alternatives like the PHD-VRX. We're part of an elite group wink.gif
post #1696 of 2316 Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM

The way I look at this is if you buying a TiVo {DVR} retal and yes I agree We're part of an elite group
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Well, for most folks, buying a TiVo is sort of like buying a DVR on credit. You pay just a little bit up front, then pay a little more every month. I can see the attractiveness for folks who want to take home a DVR and start using it for under $100. Of course, savvy buyers will pay the up-front cost anyway and invest in a lifetime subscription, but most folks don't think about how much a $10/month subscription ends up costing them in the long run.

Also, TiVo is often the only DVR you'll find in retail stores. You have to be a savvy Internet shopper to even know about alternatives like the PHD-VRX. We're part of an elite group wink.gif
post #1697 of 2316 Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 11
yes we are part of an elite bunch of epvision beta tester .. without even knowing it wink.gif
post #1698 of 2316 Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

You have to be a savvy Internet shopper to even know about alternatives like the PHD-VRX. We're part of an elite group wink.gif

Knowing about this forum at all makes you more knowledgeable than most. It's much easier to learn about the TiVo alternatives here than it is to scour the web with a search engine.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1699 of 2316 Old 08-26-2013, 02:36 PM

Updates
I talk to Allen today
The new PHD-VRX is also most the same as the old one very little change. The same firmware will work on both
The some of the updates coming are
1. on standby the red light will be off
2. fully on not recording it will be green
3. recoding will be red
4 will shown the channel you are on and if you are recording will show the channel instead of rED 1
Note this may change at any one time before coming out

I did mention to Allen about a battier back for times when you have power outages and they may come out whit this some day
post #1700 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It already displays rec1 and/or rec2 when recording. Surely not much of a change and that seems to be only due to firmware.

post #1701 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM

4 weeks ago I post the other changes [They did make a change to the back of the DVR the rest is the same including the firmware.] This is just a update for ever one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

It already displays rec1 and/or rec2 when recording. Surely not much of a change and that seems to be only due to firmware.
post #1702 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
What change was made on the back of the DVR?
post #1703 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Can anyone answer this please: The PHD-VRX has composite A/V inputs, and even an HDMI input. So will it record from an STB's HDMI-out or A/V-out?

Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1704 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

No. See post #6:
Quote:

It should be noted, inputs can not be recorded from.
Clint S. likes this.
post #1705 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

No. See post #6:
Quote:

It should be noted, inputs can not be recorded from.
Thanks for replying. confused.gif So then how do you record anything to the unit if none of the inputs can be recorded from? Certainly you can at least record from and STB's RF-out to the unit's RF-in??

What's the point of (as the manual shows) connecting the STB's S-video and A/V-out jacks to inputs on the PHD-VRX? See page 15 where it says (paraphrase) that its HDMI input can be connected to an STB's HDMI output.

From post 6:
Quote:
There is a composite output, but the GUI menu will not be available, making it mostly useless other than as a output to a DVD recorder or VCR.
While that has nothing to do with recording, it is most troubling. So how do you get the GUI on an output? Does RF have it or just HDMI or component?

Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1706 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Thanks for replying. confused.gif So then how do you record anything to the unit if none of the inputs can be recorded from?

You connect the coaxial cable from your antenna or your cable company to the RF input, and then you do a channel scan, the same way you would if you connected the coaxial cable to the RF input on the back of your TV.
Quote:

So how do you get the GUI on an output? Does RF have it or just HDMI?

You must use the HDMI output to see the PHD-VRX's menu.
post #1707 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Quote:

Thanks for replying. confused.gif So then how do you record anything to the unit if none of the inputs can be recorded from?

You connect the coaxial cable from your antenna or your cable company to the RF input, and then you do a channel scan, the same way you would if you connected the coaxial cable to the RF input on the back of your TV.
Sorry but I don't follow you because I'm talking about an STB (which no channel scan is needed). "Certainly you can at least record from and STB's RF-out to the unit's RF-in??" Such as what is done with a VCR (and of course the VCR stays on ch 3/4, or, use its composite inputs).

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1708 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry, I'm so confused here in looking at so many threads at the same time. I posted on the Mag thread that has the 2160 in it and I thought that's where these replies were from! eek.gif I wanted to put this out there now and now I'll edit/delete my posts.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1709 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry but I don't follow you because I'm talking about an STB (which no channel scan is needed). "Certainly you can at least record from and STB's RF-out to the unit's RF-in??" Such as what is done with a VCR (and of course the VCR stays on ch 3/4, or, use its composite inputs).

A VCR has an analogue tuner, which accepts the analogue output of an STB. A DVR has a digital tuner, which does not accept the analogue output of an STB. You cannot use an STB with a DVR. The whole point of STBs is to convert digital television to analogue television to let you use outdated analogue equipment, such as CRT TVs and VCRs.
Clint S. likes this.
post #1710 of 2316 Old 08-28-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If it matters any, I've edited my post 1706 (and deleted another). Please see the 2nd paragraph now in 1706 (but it still may not matter). Also post 1708 if you haven't seen it.

Bottom line: If the PHD-VRX: 1. Cannot record any analog on its RF-in; 2. Can't record on its HDMI/Component/Composite inputs, then it's useless to me (and why have them?). (But some DVR's do have analog NTSC tuners, the 2160 for example can record analog).

My head is KILLING ME. Must take a break and digest this. Several thumbs-up to you Aleron, thanks. wink.gif

God Bless,
-Clint
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page