post #1711 of 2331 Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Bottom line: If the PHD-VRX: 1. Cannot record any analog on its RF-in; 2. Can't record on its HDMI/Component/Composite inputs, then it's useless to me (and why have them?). (But some DVR's do have analog NTSC tuners, the 2160 for example can record analog).
The PHD-VRX manual (p 18) says it has ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuners, on the RF inputs. With RF1 being the one that's capable of NTSC analog. So you can't record from that input?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/200_20#post_23676565
Apparently not. confused.gifmad.gif Senseless.

But on page 59 of the manual it says you can record from both of the tuners (at the same time), but they both have to be QAM or ATSC signals??

EDIT: Answered my own question. mad.gifmad.gif And since it can't record from its HDMI, A/V, nor component inputs, it's useless as a cable DVR unless all you have is basic cable.

God Bless,
-Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Correct. If you want to record more than basic cable, your options are to use a VCR or DVD/HDD recorder with your STB (SD), or use your cable company's DVR, a TiVo, or an HTPC with a CableCard (HD).
post #1713 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

So by a "DVD/HDD recorder", that's something like the Mag 2160x? Can those type units record on their HDMI/A-V/Component inputs?
Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1714 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't help you with those, as I don't own or know much about any of them. The people who frequent the DVD Recorders section should be able to advise you.
post #1715 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You find Epvision to keep the cost of the PHD VRX uses the channel digital sign from the brocaster and uses for the recording.
The good news if you only record from a Antenna or digital cable you will never know abouts this cost savings
The way I get around this is just use my competer and record to the PHD VRX hard diver
post #1716 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Clint S;
1. It's a tuner and input switcher that can be used as a DVR (D as in digital, not A as in analog)
2. The concept of the switcher is to funnel your devices through this to your TV.
3. The Maggy (Funai) is digital only in the sense it's only SD as in Standard Definition as in it can't record in HD.
4. Allowing recording analog requires an encoder which would increase the price which they didn't want to do.
5. Most of your questions were cover in whole or in part within the first 10 posts.

To me, it would of been a better marketing move to forget the switcher and go for the encoder. The switcher is a problem which is causing the dark, highly contrasted video as has been discussed a dozen times. But, at least it does have an analog tuner which the iView (and Homeworx) do not. If you think of it, this is the opposite of the Funai, it has a digital tuner, but only records in SD. A far worse mistake,

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1717 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Clint S;
1. It's a tuner and input switcher that can be used as a DVR (D as in digital, not A as in analog)
2. The concept of the switcher is to funnel your devices through this to your TV.
3. The Maggy (Funai) is digital only in the sense it's only SD as in Standard Definition as in it can't record in HD.
4. Allowing recording analog requires an encoder which would increase the price which they didn't want to do.
5. Most of your questions were cover in whole or in part within the first 10 posts.

To me, it would of been a better marketing move to forget the switcher and go for the encoder. The switcher is a problem which is causing the dark, highly contrasted video as has been discussed a dozen times. But, at least it does have an analog tuner which the iView (and Homeworx) do not. If you think of it, this is the opposite of the Funai, it has a digital tuner, but only records in SD. A far worse mistake,

The Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders have both analog and digital tuners, and record both in SD 480i.

The coax n/out circuit passes HD through to downstream components like cable box and TV.

Clint S. likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #1718 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 PM

I did look at the Magnavox DVR one turn $240.00 and the guide is very poor .
I was looking for some thing that would have the look and use of Cable/Dish the PHD VRX is about as close as I get with out paying by the month. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

The Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders have both analog and digital tuners, and record both in SD 480i.

The coax n/out circuit passes HD through to downstream components like cable box and TV.
post #1719 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

wajo;
I didn't say it just had a digital tuner. As you stated, the final result is NTSC AKA SD.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #1720 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Clint is considering the Magnavox because he has a mix of analog and clear QAM cable channels he wants to record. He's been using a VCR eek.gif so presumably he's not too concerned about recording the QAM channels in HD.

Given his analog recording requirement, most DVRs are out, including the PHD-VRX. He ruled out the Digital Stream on other grounds, so that leaves Magnavox, TiVo, or a PC frown.gif
post #1721 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

With those choices I would have to say a TiVo. frown.gif

post #1722 of 2331 Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 PM

The bad new they all cost more than the PHD VRX
My self I just need a good DVR for Antenne use and a good TV guide my wife love it it very cost to cable and use very littel power some others use over 120 watts all the time

Quote:

post #1723 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Clint is considering the Magnavox because he has a mix of analog and clear QAM cable channels he wants to record. He's been using a VCR eek.gif .......
Oh C'mon it's not that bad. frown.gif ( biggrin.gif )

It's...........complicated. redface.gif

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1724 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wink.gif

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1725 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Clint S;

Was all that actually meant for me or did you mean another member?

#1; are you referring to the PHD-VRX? #4; The 2160A is an "encoder"?

Is it the PHD-VRX that has this "highly contrasted video" you mentioned? And what's a worse mistake, the 2160A or the PHD-VRX? (I believe you mean the 2160A, Funai?)

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1726 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wink.gif

As a subscriber to cable TV, do you not see any irony here? biggrin.gif
post #1727 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Quote:

wink.gif

I couldn't find an image that said, or indicated: "No more monthly fees". biggrin.gif

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1728 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is it the PHD-VRX that has this "highly contrasted video" you mentioned? And what's a worse mistake, the 2160A or the PHD-VRX? (I believe you mean the 2160A, Funai?)
In order of your questions; yes, yes, no it's a model number, yes & debatable. It's not so much either are "mistakes", it's a matter the manufacture won't/can't correct the design, especially the Funai. That would be fine 10 years ago, but surely not now.

With this, they get 5 stars for the tuner, but two for the switcher and two for the DVR. Get rid of the switcher and upgrade the DVR function.

post #1729 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

An MPEG encoder isn't that expensive, but cable companies are increasingly dropping analog, so it's also increasingly less useful. About the only remaining use is recording from another device with analog outputs (such as a STB). I do this with my old SD satellite receiver, for instance.
post #1730 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 08:14 AM

I will say in time Epvision will improve the PHD VRX But even today it works great for no more Monthly FEES
My wife started with cable at only $5.00 a month dope for years move up into the hills where the Anetnned did not work use Dish for only $25.00 per month end our cable with U-Verse at $100.00 per month.
At first cable was great now it is a major cost per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

post #1731 of 2331 Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
In order of your questions; yes, yes, no it's a model number, yes & debatable. It's not so much either are "mistakes", it's a matter the manufacture won't/can't correct the design, especially the Funai. That would be fine 10 years ago, but surely not now.
(#4 and bold), Yeah I know it's model #, but what I was asking is if the 2160A is considered an "encoder" (or "switcher")?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1732 of 2331 Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Since it can record analog channels, it has to have an encoder. As far as being a switcher, unless you consider switching between the tuner and a auxiliary input a "switcher" like a VCR did. wink.gif
Wajo's the in house expert on that model.

post #1733 of 2331 Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 AM

Where I live I can not find a analog channel to record. All the channels that I watch are in digital .
I did take to Epvision about adding a analog recording for old cable boxes and use IR to turn on and change the channles like the old VCRPLUS

FYI NO MONTHLY FEES only free TV

Quote:

(#4 and bold), Yeah I know it's model #, but what I was asking is if the 2160A is considered an "encoder" (or "switcher")?
post #1734 of 2331 Old 09-01-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually Clint, an MPEG encoder is merely a part within some DVRs. So the 2160A "has" an encoder; it isn't an encoder itself.
post #1735 of 2331 Old 09-01-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Actually Clint, an MPEG encoder is merely a part within some DVRs. So the 2160A "has" an encoder; it isn't an encoder itself.
Yeah I got that, I was just curious if Bruce considered the 2160A as an "encoder" or "switcher" since he seemed to not like a switcher. (What's quoted in post 1726, more in 1729).

God Bless,
-Clint
post #1736 of 2331 Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, OK. I think what he was saying was that when they designed the PHD-VRX, they gave it a bunch of inputs, but the only thing you can do with most of them is to send them to the outputs. So the PHD-VRX acts rather like a video switcher that just happens to have the capability to record one of the possible inputs; i.e., digital RF.

In other words, the PHD-VRX is basically an HDTV without the screen, except with DVR capability added almost as an afterthought. Bruce wishes the PHD-VRX had included an encoder, so it could record analog RF and the composite video inputs as well. It wasn't so much switcher vs. encoder as "switcher w/o encoder" vs. "switcher/recorder with encoder."

Now that I think about it, that actually explains some of the peculiarities of its design, such as why, unlike most DVRs, it has adjustments for brightness, contrast, etc. I bet they started with an HDTV main board design, added components to drive some outputs, and added firmware to record digital RF and play it back.
post #1737 of 2331 Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Alan,

We are still waiting for a major firmware update to fix all the issues! Videobruce gave you 3 stars but this is still the buggiest 3 star box on the market. If he gave you 1 star you might have promptly put out firmware fixes!
post #1738 of 2331 Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That chipset was designed for a TV. Info is in the first few posts.

post #1739 of 2331 Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone gotten the wireless to work? I was told from a rep that "PHD-VRX currently does not have WiFi option available." I then asked if what was said here was true:

Any USB WiFi adapter with Broadcom chip inside should work with PHD-VRX very likely. For example, DYNEX Wireless N adapter, model# DX-NUSB.

Thx.

Sales Team
ePVision.com

the rep responded with "The statement is correct. Just currently PHD-VRX doesn’t have WiFi feature available yet. Thanks."

I am confused.
post #1740 of 2331 Old 09-18-2013, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It was never fully implemented in the firmware along with a host of other failures. If you dig thorough the menu there are other functions buried inside that are more interesting. Remember, this chipset was designed for TV's, LG especially and others.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page