2Likes

post #1861 of 2323 Old 12-23-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
The FCC's data from across the border must be out-of-date; their query still shows CHCH on RF 11. But I take it they moved to RF 15 for some inexplicable reason.
No surprise the FCC's database id out of date, They did move to RF15 because of complaints of reception issues.
Quote:
but why on Earth would CHCH prefer an occupied channel
I don't remember if I saw the reason, I'm guessing that it was what was available and agreed upon between the two countries. This mostly affects the US side though anyone close to the US border in Ontario will also be affected.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2323 Old 12-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Brief EpVision PHD-VRX factory B-stock comments

I ended up purchasing a factory refurbished EpVision PHD-VRX unit for $199.88. The item is discontinued so no new units exist anymore. The refurbished unit came with the retail display box, remote, and manuals. Cosmetically the refurbished unit looked like it was brand new. There were only minor scratches on the rear of the PHD-VRX where one connects the cables. In addition, there was a protective plastic coating on the top metal cover that needed to be peeled off (To get all the plastic residue I needed to remove all the screws from the top cover). The PHD-VRX shipped with the latest VRX.243.23.31 firmware update. The PHD-VRX2 firmware is not compatible with the older PHD-VRX since a different HDMI chip is being used. However if one flashes the PHD-VRX2 firmware onto the PHD-VRX by mistake they can re-flash the PHD-VRX with the correct firmware. In the future Epvision should hopefully add software system check code that would make it impossible to flash the PHD-VRX2 firmware onto the PHD-VRX.

Using the latest PHD-VRX firmware and an external 2TB 7,200RPM hard drive with a USB 3.0 interface I was able to record 2 1080i HD programs at the same time while watching a previously recorded 1080i program (There was no video or audio glitches). The PHD-VRX has both a power switch and a standby button. However, the new PHD-VRX2 has no main power switch at all and one needs to unplug the power cord in order to power cycle the unit. Another advantage of the old PHD-VRX unit is that the display is a nice yellowish orange type color. What I did not like about the new PHD-VRX2 is the display is super bright red. I hope that in the future both the PHD-VRX2 and PHD-VRX might receive a firmware update that allows the display to be dimmed and/or completely disabled. Having a menu option to disable the LED display completely for dedicated movie watching would be ideal. The only advantage of the new PHD-VRX2 is that it can bitstream 1.0-5.1 Dolby Digital over HDMI. The PHD-VRX requires a separate optical connection to bitstream 1.0-5.1 Dolby Digital over HDMI.
post #1863 of 2323 Old 12-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

EpVision PHD-VRX and PHD-VRX2 1080P artifact issue

I am now using the original PHD-VRX unit since as mentioned before the gray horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen in 1080P mode was not acceptable on the new PHD-VRX2. I did some more detail testing on the old PHD-VRX and there is a small artifact on that unit also when in the 1080P mode when watching 1.78:1 aspect ratio programs (standard 16:9 full screen programs). However, what happens on the original PHD-VRX is that the small horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen is pure deep black which means it is less noticeable. When the PHD-VRX2 and PHD-VRX are switched from 720P mode to 1080P mode, the 1080P mode shifts the image and adds a horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen that is noticeable on 50 inch and larger displays.

On my Pioneer PRO-101FD I am using Dot by Dot mode which matches the input signal to the same number of screen pixels in a 1080i and 1080p signal. I tried every firmware version from the oldest to the newest version for the PHD-VRX, and they all show a small quarter of an inch black horizontal bar when the PHD-VRX is in 1080P mode. Therefore, the horizontal bar is gray on the PHD-VRX2 and black on the PHD-VRX. Hopefully a firmware update will fix both the PHD-VRX2 and PHD-VRX so that the horizontal bar problem will no longer occur. Also a movie mode in the menu to disable the LED display and lights would be a big positive.

I have decided to keep the PHD-VRX since the black horizontal bar is not that noticeable compared to the unacceptable gray horizontal bar that the new PHD-VRX2 has. The Direct TV HD DVR, Verizon FIOS HD DVR, and several Blu-ray players all worked fine using the Pioneer PRO-101FD monitor on the Dot by Dot mode. In addition, one is able to duplicate the PHD-VRX and PHD-VRX2 1080P horizontal artifact problem on a 60 inch and larger display (with a more noticeable horizontal line the bigger the display).
post #1864 of 2323 Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
there was a protective plastic coating on the top metal cover that needed to be peeled off
These have been shipped that way for some time.
Quote:
they all show a small quarter of an inch black horizontal line when the PHD-VRX is in 1080P mode. Therefore, the horizontal line is gray on the PHD-VRX2 and black on the PHD-VRX.
That seems to tell me there is some incompatibility between your TV and these as no one else has reported this AFAIK. Why it shows black on one and gray on the other is anyones guess.

Since you seem to have a keen eye, do you see the false contouring as I show in post 8? (I saw this on more than one monitor, so it isn't the TV before anyone asks)

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #1865 of 2323 Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry for the confusion Videobruce. I just revised my last post and changed the word “line” to “bar”, since I meant to say “bar” instead of “line”.

If one looks at the screen shots in post 1821:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/1800#post_23942618

In that post it clearly shows a gray horizontal bar at the bottom of my Pioneer PRO-101FD when using the PHD-VRX2. The original PHD-VRX also has a horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen, however the advantage of the PHD-VRX is that it is less noticeable since it’s a pure deep black bar that looks more like a black bar from a letterboxed movie (Still it should not be there).

EpVision was able to duplicate the gray bar issue on one of their Sony HDTV’s when the PHD-VRX2 is connected, and I am sure if they would connect the original PHD-VRX up to the same Sony HDTV they would also see a black bar. You might be correct Videobruce, this horizontal bar issue might not effect some brands and models of HDTV’s. However this issue never occurs with a Motorola HD DVR, never occurs with a Direct TV HD DVR, and works fine with every other tuner and Blu-ray player I have tried on my Pioneer monitor and other brands of monitors. The PHD-VRX and PHD-VRX2 appears to not be matching the same number of screen pixels when the HDMI chip outputs a 1080P signal and instead shifts the 1080P image while adding a horizontal bar. If one is using a HD display that does not have a native screen DOT by DOT pixel mode then they might not see this 1080P artifact on the PHD-VRX2 and PHD-VRX.

I also thought I noticed a false contouring issue with the PHD-VRX, however I will need to investigate further under the latest firmware update.

I just checked the EpVision website today and they are now all out of stock on the original PHD-VRX. No more factory refurbished units. Its good I purchased one before they sold out. I never should have gotten rid of the original unit, but I wanted to try the PHD-VRX2 with the HDMI bitstream Dolby Digital feature. The gray bar issue made me go back to the original PHD-VRX.
post #1866 of 2323 Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I do remember you saying they duplicated the problem which surprised me. The only change was that chip which has to be the culprit, but I haven't seen anything like that before. have you tired this on any other set?
I wonder if it is some odd blanking issue. confused.gif

post #1867 of 2323 Old 12-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

It does it on a 60 inch set also. EpVision in an email claimed they duplicated the problem on one of their Sony models. I wish the small horizontal bar was not there, however I can live with it since it looks like a deep black letterbox black bar on the PHD-VRX. On the PHD-VRX2 it was a gray horizontal bar. EpVision in an email claims that they are working to fix the issue in a future firmware update.
post #1868 of 2323 Old 12-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

The original EpVision PHD-VRX supports 36 bit deep color but the new PHD-VRX2 does not

All NTSC, ATSC, and QAM channels use the standard 24 bit color. The new PHD-VRX2 uses the standard 24 bit color and there is no way to switch it to 36 bit deep color upconvert. However, what is unique about the original PHD-VRX is that the HDMI chip and firmware will automatically switch to 36 bit deep color upconvert if the HD display can handle 36 bit deep color. There is no menu option in the PHD-VRX to turn on or off 36 bit deep color, it just automatically activates 36 bit deep color upconvert if the HD display supports it during the HDMI handshaking. Why EpVision does not use 36 bit deep color upconvert in the new PHD-VRX2 is a mystery? The original PHD-VRX is out of stock and out of production on the EpVision website.
post #1869 of 2323 Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I doubt upconverting the colour depth would offer any significant chrominance improvement, as MPEG-2 doesn't even offer 24-bit colour, let alone 30+ bits. MPEG-2 uses the YCbCr (YUV) colour space with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, which gives chroma only half as much resolution as luma (as compared to RGB).
JHBrandt likes this.
post #1870 of 2323 Old 01-01-2014, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Why EpVision does not use 36 bit deep color upconvert in the new PHD-VRX2 is a mystery?
Not really. It is a function of the new chip, or should I say not a function. But, is the upconverting to 36 bit really any issue? Can you actually see any difference and is it only with your BluRay material? Like Aleron said, nothing that this receives or records is 36 bit. wink.gif
JHBrandt likes this.

post #1871 of 2323 Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

To clarify my previous post, 24 bit and RGB are two separate aspects of colour information. RGB is a colour space, as is YCbCr, but YCbCr is usually chroma subsampled, which makes adjacent pixels share the same chroma information, thus reducing the overall colour of the image (but usually in an unnoticeable way, which is why the process is used).

The colour depth determines how many discreet colours can be displayed, or the degree of difference that can be represented between two shades of the same colour. Using 24-bit colour gives a palette of over 16 million discreet colours, which is a finer level of granularity than the human eye can perceive. The point of using more than 8 bits per channel is that doing so reduces banding and improves compression efficiency. It isn't done to improve the colour reproduction, as there's no way to see a difference in that aspect of the image.
post #1872 of 2323 Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Not really. It is a function of the new chip, or should I say not a function. But, is the upconverting to 36 bit really any issue? Can you actually see any difference and is it only with your BluRay material? Like Aleron said, nothing that this records or records is 36 bit. wink.gif

Most likely the new HDMI chip in the PHD-VRX2 supports 36 bit deep color also, however the firmware has that feature turned off. I should have said in my last post that it’s a mystery why the PHD-VRX firmware has 36 bit deep color turned on and why the PHD-VRX2 firmware has it turned off. This is a minor issue, however if the old product supported it, then it would have been nice to have the new product support it also.
post #1873 of 2323 Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Today I have the new PHD VRX2
Works great only took 5 min to setup
I will keep ever one up to date
Even the old PHD VRX with the Oct 2013 update works great now too.
I use mine as a DVR for Calbe cutting the switch part I use the TV as save on power only one box on at a time

Dave
post #1874 of 2323 Old 01-02-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How bad is the bright red display? Are there any changes to the menu?

post #1875 of 2323 Old 01-02-2014, 06:12 PM

The red display is good little smaller that the PHD VRX
The menu almost the same I am still trying out the VRX2. It to this point is working GREAT

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

How bad is the bright red display? Are there any changes to the menu?
post #1876 of 2323 Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have not done much with the VRX2 yet, but so far I have not noticed any menu changes.
I do however, find the red display WAY too bright. It is so bright that the letters seem to "bleed" together, making it hard to read.
post #1877 of 2323 Old 01-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

The only menu that has changed on the PHD-VRX2 is the HDMI audio bitstream feature. I also did not like the extremely bright red LED display, however according to post 1809, EpVision is considering adding a movie mode to the PHD-VRX2, so the display can be completely disabled. I also requested a DIM mode for the RED display. The ideal display options should be bright, dim, and off. To DIM the display the EpVision hardware will need to lower the voltage to the display, and I do not know if the hardware supports lowering the voltage to the display. Personally a movie mode that turns off the PHD-VRX2 and PHD-VRX display completely would be my favorite mode when watching movies in a completely dark room.

It would be ideal if a firmware update was written by EpVision programmers so that the PHD-VRX and PHD-VRX2 would be able to backup its user settings and channel maps to an external USB drive. For example, the latest OPPO BDP-103D, BDP-103, and BDP-105 Blu-ray players will save the user settings to an external USB drive. The PHD-VRX and PHD-VRX2 take much more time to setup after a firmware update compared to a Blu-ray player and being able to backup the channel maps with user settings would be a strong improvement to the product.
post #1878 of 2323 Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It would be ideal if a firmware update was written by EpVision programmers so that the PHD-VRX and PHD-VRX2 would be able to backup its user settings and channel maps
It would be more ideal if all the major entries in the laundry list were addressed;

The Guide:
1a. The Guide needs to include both tuners integrated together as one Guide no matter which input you are in. It's a real problem and inconvenience to have to switch back and forth between tuners to try to schedule programming. Especially if you have overlapping recordings.
1b. Locking the preview window (EPG on/off) to speed up the display of data prevents data from showing on any channel that has not been previously accessed from standby. If you 'surf' through all channels before you enter the Guide, there isn't problem. Rename that “EPG Tuning Mode” to “Lock the preview window”
1c. Stopping on a weak station that is not receivable at the time, will lock the Guide up, forcing you to exit and re-enter. These are 'on the cliff' signals. Channels that are not there at all, have no effect if you stop on those.
1d. No ability for the system to save the existing PSIP data for each station in the Guide. After you stop on that channel, continue, then return, the data has to re-loaded every time on every channel.
1e. No indication or previously scheduled programs to record in the Guide. This may not be possible,
1f. No direct ability to cancel a upcoming recording made through the Guide, unless you do it in the Upcoming Recordings screen,
1g. The 'reading' of program data appears to provide less listings compared to other PSIP 'Guides'. Example; Comparing to a older DTVPal on the same stations at the same time, the DTVPal (with no TV Guide data) has their listings further into the future.
1h. Add the ability to 'wrap' from the lowest channel to the highest & vice versa without scrolling through the entire channel list as you can in Media Player.
1i. Disable the channel up/down buttons while in Guide. It's too easy to hit and accidentally exit from the Guide.
1j. Access to a website (like it is with You Tube) that has program listings for convenience to manually schedule a recording. PSIP Guide data is unreliable, spotty and inconsistent if it is there at all. What good are three to six hours of listings? Anything less than one full week shouldn't be acceptable in this day and age.

Image quality: (2c may be hardware related)
2a. Gray horizontal bar across the bottom half of the screen when using 1080p out with the new "2" models.
2b. The default output of this DVR is very dark with saturated highlights. The default brightness needs to increased to between 16, contrast reduced to 65 & color reduced to -5 for each input. These shouldn't be that far off in the first place.
2c. False contouring in blacks, shadows, dark scenes. This has been confirmed. Especially noticeable anywhere there are shadows and/or dark clothing, especially mens suits. The default dark, contrasty video settings appear to hide this problem. After extended testing, it now appears this Broadcom/ATI chipset is sensitive to lower bitrates. A difference of only 3MB/s will cause noticing the false contouring. I have compared the same program from two different sources (stations & networks) and the station (source) that had the higher bitrate didn't have the problem. Not all programming is affected. This affects recordings played outside of the DVR and effects less than 20% of the recordings.

Manual Recording:
3a. Add the ability for a multi-event, manual recording option allowing entering more than one recording at a time without re-entering the Manual Record mode again,
3b. Manual record duration; 1. When changing to less than one hour, make the default 30 minutes instead of five. 2. Unable to enter numbers 1-4 to change minutes. 5–0 work Ok. Only way to do so now is toggling up or down one at a time.
3c. In the Guide; add the ability to delay (add) to the start time and allow the end time to finish early (subtract). Programs do start early and end early also.
3d. Add the ability to rename a manual recording when it is scheduled instead of just afterwards,
3e. Remove that “Active” check box in the new “Record Schedule Timer”. That is available in the schedule screen if one wants to skip recording for a week. You don't schedule a recording not to record.
3f. Modifying a recording in the "Upcoming Recording" menu will not show any time changes in the recording list when you 'pad' the start and/or end time of a program. It then appears no change was made.
3g. Change weekly icon to “W”, change “Once” icon to “O”, remove Sat & Sunday entry. I see no need for that.
3h. Unable to schedule a manual recording using the inactive tuner. If you are on tuner one, any stations on tuner two can not be setup to record.

Menu layout:
4a. Those small, somewhat identical, circular Menu icons are hard to read and decipher. They all look the same, except for when you are actually in that sub menu. Plain text is needed instead cutesy icons. It's confusing to guess at a icon, then read the text above and to the right of that icon. Move the text over of each sub-category, replacing the associated icon. The GUI in their Media Switcher was better. It appeared that was easier to navigate.
4b.Reduce the number of entries in the main menu and each sub menu so there are six or less, allowing all to show on the screen at once, eliminating scrolling to find a hidden entry. Specifically;
4c. Move the main “Locks” entry to “Settings” reducing the sub menu entries down to six,
4d. Change “Dynamic Contrast” to “Gamma” and move it to “Picture Settings”, then delete the “Advanced” entry under “Picture”,
4e. Under “Record”, combine the three USB entries into a single sub menu,
4f. Under Media Player/Recordings, move Forward Skip & Backward Skip into a single group,
4g. Under “Picture Settings”, remove “Color Temperature” since it has no effect,
4h. Quick menu; replace Scale Window with a added “Aspect” control. Scale Window is only for specific situations,
4i. In the “Picture” sub-menu, once you selected a item, you can't scroll up or down to the next item to adjust without returning to the previous screen. Change the behavior to the way it is in the Quick menu so all show in a small window,
4j. Add “V Mode”, which should be re-named to “Resolution out” (or similar) to both the Quick Menu & under “Picture Settings” since it is only available from the remote,
4k. Remove the "Presets" entry. There are too many choices in the first place, some do little to change the actual settings. Each input has it's own memory settings anyway, it's not needed,

Audio: (these probably are hardware related)
5a. Audio controls have no effect on analog or optical outputs. Only HDMI is affected. Specify this in the manual.
5b. There is no audio at all when the timeshifting mode is activated. Only when you are watching the delayed portion of the recording is there audio. There is audio on the HDMI output.

6. Nothing preventing you to place the DVR in standby to prevent stopping a recording in progress. You will loose the recording if standby is pressed accidentally. Some confirmation is needed.

Media Player:
7a. If you are watching a previously recorded program in Media Player, if this goes into recording mode for a scheduled recording, there is no response from user input except to shut the unit down. Thanks to LenL for this,
7b. Pressing 'Exit' while in Media Player will completely exit you out of MP while watching a recording. Exiting out of MP should only be permitted while in the main menu. Use of the Exit otherwise should take you back to the Main Menu,
7c. Shorten the manual recording file name in Media Player by removing the seconds and changing the year to two digits. It's too hard to read with those extra unnecessary digits,
7d. Include channel number, date & time to the recording entry under the new "Recordings" screen. What happens if there are more than one of the same program listed?
7e. Media Player/Recordings; When you use the skip feature, the time bar remains on the screen to long. Reduce the duration from 8 to 4 seconds and/or provide selectable times,
7f. While playing back recordings, the right & left navigation buttons will change what you are watching to the next or previous recording without any other interaction. If pressed by mistake, you are now watching something else. This needs to be disabled, except for Photos or Music. (only relates to Recordings)
7g. The "Video" section in MP still has the issue of not remembering where you left off when you stop playback and not remembering changed picture settings.
7h. Use skip fwd & back to move through the pages instead of channel up/down like it is in all other menu functions where this is used. Consistent and less confusing.

Tuner:
8a. Slow channel changing, especially considering this DVR does not do continuous time shifting. How can this be improved? (This may be hardware related)
8b. Improve the signal level display to expand the resolution of the reading by using similar to the System Info screen that has a 0-100 numeric readout.
8c. Change the color of RF 1 icon from gray to some other color. Gray is hard to see,

9. There is no clock backup if there is a power outage.

Standby & spin down:
10a. An external enclosed hard drive does not spin down when the DVR is on and no recording is scheduled, only when in standby. This was changed from early firmware releases. Why have it run when it is only being used as a tuner with the HDD connected? (Yes, you can disconnect the drive, but you shouldn't have to.)
10b. After three or more consecutive recordings are finished or recordings over 90 minutes in length (approximately), the DVR does not go back into standby. Single recordings or two short recordings back to back will allow Standby two minutes after the last timer recording is finished.
10c. Timer recordings from standby loose the 1st 45 seconds of the program due to the boot time if the recorder was in standby. Power on should start one minute early so the recorder is up and running.

11. No 480p or 1080i for older HDTV's w/o a 1080p input. 480p was removed from the early firmware. Some TV's have limited aspect options with some resolutions. Sometimes the 480 choice works out better. This should be restored.

post #1879 of 2323 Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Consumer products with MPEG-4 QAM support

The latest TIVO models are not the only products on the market that support MPEG-4 QAM channels. It has been verified that the Ceton infiniTV6 PCIe and Ceton infiniTV4 PCIe products support both MPEG-4 QAM and MPEG-2 QAM channels. With a Verizon FIOS connection I was able to view MPEG-4 1080i HD channels when using a cablecard and the infiniTV4 PCIe card. Hopefully in the future all new consumer TV tuners will support MPEG-4 clear QAM and MPEG-4 encrypted QAM with a cablecard.

All 4 models of the Ceton infiniTV products offer MPEG-4 QAM 64/256 support:
http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/

The current firmware in the EpVision PHD-VRX2 and PHD-VRX only supports NTSC, ATSC MPEG-2, and QAM MPEG-2. It is my understanding that the EpVision PHD-VRX2 and PHD-VRX hardware is capable of supporting MPEG-4 in the clear QAM channels, and all that is needed is a firmware update. I have mentioned this MPEG-4 issue to EpVision support team and hopefully a future firmware update will add MPEG-4 QAM support.
post #1880 of 2323 Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Did you mean "Ceton?" "Centon" was a unit of time on Battlestar Galactica biggrin.gif

I would expect that most ATSC/QAM tuners could support MPEG-4 with appropriate firmware or software. After all, it should all be just bits to the tuner. But most OEMs seem to have no interest whatsoever in providing any firmware improvements. As bad as they've been, ePVision seems to be one of the few companies still making at least some minimal effort to improve theirs. Long way to go still, but at least they haven't stopped trying completely. As long as that's true, there's a glimmer of hope.

OT: Some promo lit for the DTVPal suggested it could tune MPEG-4, but It's OTA-only and I've never seen an unencrypted MPEG-4 OTA channel. (Well, that's not completely true; for a few weeks back in 2012, KJJM/34 broadcast a test in MPEG-4, but I never tried to receive it with the DTVPal until it was too late and the test was over. Besides, it had a 3-digit subchannel number which probably would've kept the DTVPal from seeing it anyway.)
post #1881 of 2323 Old 01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

There are MPEG-4 channels in DVB-T territories, but I don't know of any ATSC territories that use it. As for tuning MPEG-4 over clear QAM, I would expect any cable company that goes to the trouble of converting to MPEG-4 will probably be using the opportunity to start encrypting at the same time, thus making MPEG-4 clear QAM tuning useless.

It would be nice if the FCC had mandated some sort of timetable for encryption instead of letting each cable company do whatever it wants. At least if all cable were going to be encrypted by a certain date, we could definitively tell people that their DVRs are OTA only, instead of instructing each person to try multiple tests to figure out if his cable is encrypted.
videobruce likes this.
post #1882 of 2323 Old 01-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks JHBrandt. I had a spelling error and I revised my post.

Aleron Ives, many cable companies like Comcast encrypt 100% of their QAM channels including local channels. Some cable companies like Verizon FIOS nationwide leave the local channels and a few basic channels in the clear. Yes some cable companies might have all their MPEG-4 channels encrypted with the requirement to rent a cablecard device. However since there is a lack of clear QAM tuners on the market that support MPEG-4, some cable companies leave the MPEG-4 channels in the clear (That will change as more MPEG-4 tuners arrive on the market). The Ceton products require a cablecard to work and there is no clear QAM option. I do not own a TIVO, however TIVO customer service once informed me that the TIVO would be able to tune in the clear unencrypted QAM channels without a cablecard (but the on screen guide is disabled without the cablecard). Some of the clear QAM desktop PC tuners on the market should be able to receive clear QAM MPEG-4 channels with a software update.

As more cable channels switch from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, the demand for QAM tuners that support MPEG-4 will increase. The cablecard feature is a required feature for those that want to subscribe to encrypted MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 channels. Also the cablecard offers automatic channel mapping. Most cable companies charge $3.99 or more for each cablecard rental.
post #1883 of 2323 Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Videobruce, regarding 10b:
quote: "10b. After three or more consecutive recordings are finished or recordings over 90 minutes in length (approximately), the DVR does not go back into standby. Single recordings or two short recordings back to back will allow Standby two minutes after the last timer recording is finished."

Our VRX seems to mostly (3 out of 4 times) go into standby like it is supposed to. Last night, for example, it recorded from one tuner for 4:06 hours and went into standby. The night before it recorded a similar 4:06 hr. on one tuner and 2:06 hr. on the other tuner and went into standby. However, a few days ago it did NOT go into standby after recording. In the past (possibly before the last firmware update??) it seemed that it probably failed to go into standby much more often (maybe 3 out of 4 times).

Even with all it's current shortcomings, our VRX is MUCH improved from a few months ago. In fact, it is so much better than the analog DVD recorder (Toshiba DR570) we were using we have mostly stopped using the DVD recorder. We have not tried recording on the VRX2 yet, but for playback it is working well so far.
post #1884 of 2323 Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It would be nice if the FCC had mandated some sort of timetable for encryption instead of letting each cable company do whatever it wants.
It's called deregulation. Big business doing most anything what it wants.

windermere;
Thanks for the input. Were these 2 & 4 hour recordings a single event or multiple recordings?

post #1885 of 2323 Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM

The 2 & 4 hour recordings were multiple recordings.
post #1886 of 2323 Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 AM

An update on "10b"

It seems that both the VRX and VRX2 "mostly" return to the state they were in before the recording started, once the recording is stopped. In other words, if we had it on and were watching a recording when it begins recording another program, it will stay on when the recording is finished (and the hard drive will continue spinning). If it was in standby when it started recording, it will return to standby when the recording is finished (and the HD will stop spinning).
post #1887 of 2323 Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you set it up for 3 or more recordings within a short period of time (30 or 60 minute) from standby, after the last, will it go back into standby?

post #1888 of 2323 Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM

We have not tested it that way.
post #1889 of 2323 Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM

I use this all time for recording on both tuners.
If I am watching be for it a start recording on the other tuner I just the auto shut off for longer than the recording.

Hope this helps
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post

We have not tested it that way.
post #1890 of 2323 Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastavin View Post

Tgros... Seems we are in same boat. This is the worst product I have ever bought... And to make matters worse I bought it for my wife... So you can imagine I get reminded of my failure daily from two sources.mad.gif

To clear your unit you should start by going to the recording history screen and deleting everything you can. Also delete all your timers. Then reboot the unit about 5-7 times by pulling the power cord out of the wall.. Waiting for it cycle around to setup mode and pulling the plug again. The more you reboot it the more likely you are to have cleared multiple memory usage problems.

If its not too late best to return unit to where you bought it and find another solution for recording. These boxes are at best unsupported engineering experiments. Great only for hobbyists that like to solve continuous operational problems every week.

Almost 2 months ago I cut my cable, in favor of going OTA with a good antenna. I'm in Toronto, ON -- so I get a fair number of Toronto area digital stations - and a bunch from the Buffalo, NY area too. I've had my VRX2 since I got the antenna. It seemed to work almost flawlessly for the first month. But lately, I've had a bunch of issues . . .

1. When I schedule shows either as a single session, each day or for Sat. / Sun., I find that too often the show simply doesn't record -- it gets dropped mysteriously. I'm now trying to problem solve this issue, and I triple check to ALWAYS make certain that the "active" box is checked and there are no conflicts between recording to tuner 1 and / or tuner 2. I just read Estavin's suggestion to unplug the unit several times to clear out as much memory data, etc. as possible. I will attempt this next.

2. All too often I'm finding that when scheduling programs that the unit will throw up the warning box that there is conflict with tuner 1, for an example. It will notify me that I can't record since there is something conflicting with what I'm trying to schedule. But when I check, there is NOTHING that conflicts at all. It will show what the conflict is . . . but there isn't anything be recorded during the time-frame it is warning about. Does anyone know if this is a defect with the unit, or maybe a firmware issue?

3. When playing back programs, I will often all-of-a-sudden not be able to skip forward . . . the file will continue to play, but the unit has frozen, making it impossible to stop the playback. Unplugging the unit is the only solution.

Note: I have tried several hard-drives with the VRX2. They have all been formatted to the EXT2, as recommended. I'm currently using a My Book USB 2.0 2TB drive. I am also running the most current firmware.

Can anyone tell me if what I am finding is typical? Would the multiple unplugging from the outlet likely get this sucker back into proper working order . . . or does it sound like this one is likely a lemon?

Thanks!

Ian
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page