Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did you turn off the power or loss power
I find mine will not record it I loss power I have to reset the recording

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Almost 2 months ago I cut my cable, in favor of going OTA with a good antenna. I'm in Toronto, ON -- so I get a fair number of Toronto area digital stations - and a bunch from the Buffalo, NY area too. I've had my VRX2 since I got the antenna. It seemed to work almost flawlessly for the first month. But lately, I've had a bunch of issues . . .

1. When I schedule shows either as a single session, each day or for Sat. / Sun., I find that too often the show simply doesn't record -- it gets dropped mysteriously. I'm now trying to problem solve this issue, and I triple check to ALWAYS make certain that the "active" box is checked and there are no conflicts between recording to tuner 1 and / or tuner 2. I just read Estavin's suggestion to unplug the unit several times to clear out as much memory data, etc. as possible. I will attempt this next.

2. All too often I'm finding that when scheduling programs that the unit will throw up the warning box that there is conflict with tuner 1, for an example. It will notify me that I can't record since there is something conflicting with what I'm trying to schedule. But when I check, there is NOTHING that conflicts at all. It will show what the conflict is . . . but there isn't anything be recorded during the time-frame it is warning about. Does anyone know if this is a defect with the unit, or maybe a firmware issue?

3. When playing back programs, I will often all-of-a-sudden not be able to skip forward . . . the file will continue to play, but the unit has frozen, making it impossible to stop the playback. Unplugging the unit is the only solution.

Note: I have tried several hard-drives with the VRX2. They have all been formatted to the EXT2, as recommended. I'm currently using a My Book USB 2.0 2TB drive. I am also running the most current firmware.

Can anyone tell me if what I am finding is typical? Would the multiple unplugging from the outlet likely get this sucker back into proper working order . . . or does it sound like this one is likely a lemon?

Thanks!

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2291 Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

Did you turn off the power or loss power
I find mine will not record it I loss power I have to reset the recording

Dave

Hi, Dave . . .

No, I haven't lost power. I just tried to view some of the shows I scheduled tonight. Not much success. The recorder was showing it was recording on both tuners much past the actual recording time. It turns out that the machine locked-up . . . the recording was lost . . . my unit seems to have a mind of its own.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they will exchange . . . it worked great for a few weeks, and now it's really screwing up.

Thanks Dave for the reply and suggestion.

Ian
post #1893 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
1. Power cycle by unplugging it (if you have the "2" version),
2. Do a full reset,
3. Re-load the firmware,
4. Try another FW version.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1894 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 07:01 AM

I am adding to videobruce try down load new firmware I keep mine updated , and I have both the PHD VRX and PHD VRX2 they both work great.
The other is if the DVR and get a signal or analog it will not record. I was thing all change where digital but a few old small are not digital

Dave
Quote:

Hi, Dave . . .

No, I haven't lost power. I just tried to view some of the shows I scheduled tonight. Not much success. The recorder was showing it was recording on both tuners much past the actual recording time. It turns out that the machine locked-up . . . the recording was lost . . . my unit seems to have a mind of its own.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they will exchange . . . it worked great for a few weeks, and now it's really screwing up.

Thanks Dave for the reply and suggestion.

Ian
post #1895 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 AM

Liked: 12
I see Epvision has just listed a new firmware version for the VRX2 (VRX2.243.25.41.RC2).
I would do as suggested above and unplug the unit, then load this firmware (of course that means re-doing all your settings).
As an aside, the new firmware is supposed to give the option of turning off the bright red panel led.
post #1896 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 AM

It is the one I am using and it works great it also has a paid guide too
Note: if you use the pay guide after setup and turn on the guide do not turn off for a3 to 4 hours till the guide is up. The third part site is slow to down the first time
See http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD-VRX2_3rd_Party_EPG_Features_Guide.pdf
The pay guide also has a Theme guide show Sports, Movies, News and the list goes on. This part works great for finding programs.

List from EPvison
• Built-in 3rd Party EPG Plug-in Module
• User controllable front Panel LED on & off
• Switching Tuner1 or Tuner2 EPG in Guide screen
• Function improvements
Known bug(s):
• In Theme screen, schedule rec not working

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post

I see Epvision has just listed a new firmware version for the VRX2 (VRX2.243.25.41.RC2).
I would do as suggested above and unplug the unit, then load this firmware (of course that means re-doing all your settings).
As an aside, the new firmware is supposed to give the option of turning off the bright red panel led.
videobruce likes this.
post #1897 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Smithdoor, Videobruce and Windermere . . .

Thanks for taking to the time to give me some good ideas to problem solve the several issues I'm having with my VRX2. Great suggestions! Very late last night I cleared all history and did the basic "reset" the unit offers -- and then unplugged and plugged in the unit to achieve several "reboots". i haven't yet set-up the VRX2 again or done any testing / recording.

Thanks too for the heads-up about the new firmware. I just downloaded it and will install it today. I am really hoping this will help!

I will set a bunch of shows up to record - and see if there are as many issues. Hope not. It's just strange that after a few good weeks with the machine, it started to have several issues that it didn't have when new. I haven't read the documentation yet for the firmware install, but I wonder if it is possible to go back to the earlier firmware if needed?

I will let you know if the new f/w does the trick.

Thanks again!!

Ian
post #1898 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 150
So the new firmware finally supports a paid EPG? I know it's been promised for some time, but don't recall seeing mentioned that it was available until now.

So who do you pay, and how much does it cost? And how many days does it provide?
post #1899 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 10:44 AM

Yes and it work great
See http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ $25.00 per year
It has both Antenna and Cable Guides. Schedules Direct gives you a week free. I am using for the free right now and working great. My local TV channels also have very good one too.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

So the new firmware finally supports a paid EPG? I know it's been promised for some time, but don't recall seeing mentioned that it was available until now.

So who do you pay, and how much does it cost? And how many days does it provide?
post #1900 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

AHA - they took my suggestion! biggrin.gif

Schedules Direct is a non-profit (hence the low price) that buys schedule info from Tribune Media (who runs the Zap2It.com Internet TV guide, and supplies guides for Windows Media Center. TiVo too, I think.) Schedules Direct guides can be used with other PC software too, so you're not locked into the PHD-VRX.
post #1901 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

It is the one I am using and it works great it also has a paid guide too
Note: if you use the pay guide after setup and turn on the guide do not turn off for a3 to 4 hours till the guide is up. The third part site is slow to down the first time
See http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD-VRX2_3rd_Party_EPG_Features_Guide.pdf
The pay guide also has a Theme guide show Sports, Movies, News and the list goes on. This part works great for finding programs.

List from EPvison
• Built-in 3rd Party EPG Plug-in Module
• User controllable front Panel LED on & off
• Switching Tuner1 or Tuner2 EPG in Guide screen
• Function improvements
Known bug(s):
• In Theme screen, schedule rec not working

Dave

Hi, Dave . . .

How did you install the firmware? According to the instructions posted with the file, step 3 says "Turn the unit completely off (push left side POWER
button and see no LED lights on the front panel". This is the first issue . . . I can't turn off the power by holding down or pushing the power button on the front of the unit. It will simply reboot, show "off" for a second . . . but it won't completely turn off the LED display. The second issue, the firmware instructions in point 5 say "Turn on the unit by pushing POWER button. Then,
push “STANDBY”button on the right side of the front panel." Problem: Where is the "STANDBY" button on the front panel? There is a menu button . . . and other buttons . . . but I don't have a standby button.

What did you do to complete the firmware update?

Thanks!

Ian
post #1902 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM

Some times you have reload the firmware it may not take it first time
Steps
1. After loading the firm it will reboot
2. Remove USB
3.Now do the setup like new
If the firmware was update right the LED will turn off and on (under settings)

Dave
Quote:

Hi, Dave . . .

How did you install the firmware? According to the instructions posted with the file, step 3 says "Turn the unit completely off (push left side POWER
button and see no LED lights on the front panel". This is the first issue . . . I can't turn off the power by holding down or pushing the power button on the front of the unit. It will simply reboot, show "off" for a second . . . but it won't completely turn off the LED display. The second issue, the firmware instructions in point 5 say "Turn on the unit by pushing POWER button. Then,
push “STANDBY”button on the right side of the front panel." Problem: Where is the "STANDBY" button on the front panel? There is a menu button . . . and other buttons . . . but I don't have a standby button.

What did you do to complete the firmware update?

Thanks!

Ian
post #1903 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Liked: 12
Teeger, when installing the new firmware, the instructions where probably not changed from the original VRX, where there was a "Power" button on the LH and a "Standby" button on the RH. On the VRX2 they have done away with the "Power" button (you have to unplug the unit when they say to "Turn off the Power"). The remaining button near the center of the VRX2 is actually the "Standby" button.
videobruce likes this.
post #1904 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 PM

I did not unplug just reboot you may need re download the firmware it maybe in the download
Mine works great

hope this helps
Dave
[
quote name="windermere" url="/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/1890#post_24182099"]Teeger, when installing the new firmware, the instructions where probably not changed from the original VRX, where there was a "Power" button on the LH and a "Standby" button on the RH. On the VRX2 they have done away with the "Power" button (you have to unplug the unit when they say to "Turn off the Power"). The remaining button near the center of the VRX2 is actually the "Standby" button.[/quote]
post #1905 of 2291 Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post

Teeger, when installing the new firmware, the instructions where probably not changed from the original VRX, where there was a "Power" button on the LH and a "Standby" button on the RH. On the VRX2 they have done away with the "Power" button (you have to unplug the unit when they say to "Turn off the Power"). The remaining button near the center of the VRX2 is actually the "Standby" button.

Thanks. I called epVision about the firmware update confusion (their instructions). The guy who I talked to said that the instructions are incorrect . . . they plan to update them. He gave me the correct data, which is what you felt might be the case.

Sadly, the firmware update didn't help at all. The issues with this unit are even worse. I recorded several programs tonight. Each program recorded resulted in multiple files being recorded -- and when trying to play one, the recorder locked up. The tuner, after the firmware update, also assigned a few known OTA channels new and incorrect channel numbers. Very weird.

What's worse, when I told the guy at epVison that I purchased in Toronto at Save & Replay, he didn't think the dealer would offer support!!!??? He was hopeful my issues would be resolved with the new firmware --- which they aren't.

When he didn't think a NEWLY PURCHASED unit would be replaced by the dealer, I asked what he (the manufacturer) is prepared to do. His reply was "we'll see what we can do". When I pressed for something more positive than this in terms of warranty support directly from the manufacturer, he didn't offer me much hope. He actually said, "send us an email and we will TRY to get back to you".

I will call the retailer tomorrow. They should simply swap this unit for another. I've only had the unit for about 7 weeks. The first few were good . . . and it's been hopeless since.

Ian
post #1906 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
A perfect example why that shouldn't of been removed, just moved to the real panel. rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #1907 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
AHA - they took my suggestion! biggrin.gif
Schedules Direct is a non-profit (hence the low price) that buys schedule info from Tribune Media (who runs the Zap2It.com Internet TV guide, and supplies guides for Windows Media Center. TiVo too, I think.) Schedules Direct guides can be used with other PC software too, so you're not locked into the PHD-VRX

Actually, the discussion around another source for guide data started back in June 0f 2012 when VideoGrabber posted this;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread-now-with-optional-pay-guide/90#post_22130929
Quote:
SchedulesDirect provides a data service for $25 per year (per household) that could populate any market you'd like. I used it myself for a year (before I got SageTV, with its own Guide info), and it worked quite well.

Five posts later, member DB100 put a program together for displaying this data on his PC.
This has been at the top of my list before that and they have also promised that when I received the test unit.

Posts 1, 9 & 10 updated

post #1908 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I hadn't read that post when I thought of the same idea and posted it myself. Like many readers of this thread, it already had hundreds of posts when I started following it (after TVGoS went away for the DTVPal and I started looking at possible alternatives).

I knew you had an improved guide atop your list, but didn't recall you specifically mentioning Schedules Direct before I did. Schedules Direct has been available for PC users for a long time, but I'm glad someone finally implemented their guide on a standalone DVR.

BTW, as I understand it, the new firmware that implements Schedules Direct is only for the VRX2, right? And I'm wondering if they addressed the 1080p issue with some TVs at the same time?
post #1909 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 AM

They have not posted any updates on the PHD VRX for the guide
The last update works great (I have both PHD VRX and VRX2). The new guide is great I am using free one week for Schedules Direct, but the other free works great too. I have not had any issue with 1080p. The only issue I have had on the old VRX is I had to turn on the VRX first then the TV. The new VRX2 I can turn ether on first with NO issues.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I hadn't read that post when I thought of the same idea and posted it myself. Like many readers of this thread, it already had hundreds of posts when I started following it (after TVGoS went away for the DTVPal and I started looking at possible alternatives).

I knew you had an improved guide atop your list, but didn't recall you specifically mentioning Schedules Direct before I did. Schedules Direct has been available for PC users for a long time, but I'm glad someone finally implemented their guide on a standalone DVR.

BTW, as I understand it, the new firmware that implements Schedules Direct is only for the VRX2, right? And I'm wondering if they addressed the 1080p issue with some TVs at the same time?
post #1910 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

As I understand it, not everyone has the 1080p issue. It seems to crop up on some TVs but not others, and it's much less conspicuous on the VRX than the VRX2.

Still, ePVision said they've reproduced it and would address it, so I thought maybe the fix got bundled into the latest VRX2 update. I'll wait for someone who has both the VRX2 and the 1080p issue to report....

One other thing to check on. When using the free guide, scrolling through channels was reportedly very slow. I'd expect it to be much faster with the Schedules Direct guide?
post #1911 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
but didn't recall you specifically mentioning Schedules Direct before I did.
No I didn't mention SD, I had the issue of a better source for program data in the list. I wasn't aware of SD until I saw his post.
Quote:
as I understand it, the new firmware that implements Schedules Direct is only for the VRX2, right?
I tried loading the new FW to the original model, burt ti didn't work. Just like the reverse, neither is compatible with each other. You get no video off the HDMI out. No idea about the audio out off that output.
Of course, if the component out that was originally planned wasn't removed, it wouldn't be a problem. mad.gif

corrected comment

post #1912 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM

It works great I did have to reload two times to get the LED to turn off and the Pay guide also work very fast only take 3 or 4 min to load too

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

No I didn't mention SD, I had the issue of a better source for program data in the list. I wasn't aware of SD until I saw his post.
I have loaded the1st version for the "2" model with no known issue, thought I didn't fully test it. I will do so shortly.
post #1913 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I corrected my previous post. I thought I already tried th 1st VRX2 version, but apparently I didn't. redface.gif Too bad, since it was promised so long ago for the first model.

Can either of you post some good screen shots of the Guide where the changes are apparent and also some shots of the added menu entries? Also, have you tried a CATV listings for your market?

post #1914 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 PM

Can those having success with the VRX2 tell me which hard drive you are using? Also, how are you setting your timer -- by clock (manually), OTA or through your Internet?

As I have mentioned here, I'm having many separate issues with my unit -- and I'm trying to go through each possible "weak link" that I can to isolate what might be the cause.

After updating my VRX2 twice, with the latest firmware, I am now getting multiple files for each recorded show. For example, a one hour program may consist of 2 to 4 separate files. I've noticed the unit when recording shuts off during a recording session and reboots!!! What's up with this? When I first got my unit, I let the time be set through the OTA option (the default option). This worked well, but then problems started after a few weeks. ePVision suggested that I take the time from the Net -- so this is how I've been setting the clock. I wonder if this might be why the recorder is rebooting a couple of time per program if it's not getting stable time information from the Net? Is anyone simply imputing the correct time manually the good ol' fashioned way?

Any help is appreciated in trying to find out if there is a way to fix issues before realizing that my new unit truly is defective.

Thanks!

Ian
post #1915 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

This is just a shot in the dark, but is your HDD formatted with the NTFS file system by any chance? ePVision's NTFS drivers are reported to be very slow, and your VRX2 may not be able to write the video stream as fast as it's received. This could cause buffer overflows, which in turn could cause problems like you describe.

I think most of the users here use Internet time, so I doubt that's the problem. But you could try manual time just to eliminate the possibility.

OTA time is all right too, as long as all your local stations' clocks are accurate. But if any of them are far off, the other time options are better.
videobruce likes this.
post #1916 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The .pdf Smithdoor linked to earlier has some screen shots of the S.D. guide and the menus where you select it. HTH:

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD-VRX2_3rd_Party_EPG_Features_Guide.pdf
post #1917 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

teeger;
Sounds as JHBrandt is right. Re-format the drive using the DVR's utility. Unlike when it was first introduced, it does work now.

JHBrandt;
Saw and printed that out, but the pics are too small to make out any details.

Big question is; are they planning to have this available to original VRX owners since the two models firmwares are not compatible??

post #1918 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:

teeger;
Sounds as JHBrandt is right. Re-format the drive using the DVR's utility. Unlike when it was first introduced, it does work now.

I have always used the on-board formatting utility to format to the EXT2 formatting. When did the formatting utility impove? The last time I formatted to EXT2 was before this week's new f/w update. I will try another drive later and do another formatting with the latest firmware installed.

It really seems that there is a problem perhaps with the chip-set.

Many thanks!

Ian
post #1919 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
When did the formatting utility impove?
It wasn't a matter of improving it, it was a matter of it actually working. 20 months ago to answer the question.
You can also try formatting it in your PC. Have you read post 2??

As far as the rebooting, try a manual time set and disconnect the Ethernet cable for the tome being. I assume this is OTA, have you tried different stations?

post #1920 of 2291 Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:

It wasn't a matter of improving it, it was a matter of it actually working. 20 months ago to answer the question.
You can also try formatting it in your PC. Have you read post 2??

As far as the rebooting, try a manual time set and disconnect the Ethernet cable for the tome being. I assume this is OTA, have you tried different stations?

As far as the rebooting, try a manual time set and disconnect the Ethernet cable for the tome being. I assume this is OTA, have you tried different stations?[/quote]

Thanks Videobruce for trying to help me. It really is frustrating, considering that there isn't just one or two issues I'm working with. Yes, I have tried recording several different channels . . . and I've tried recording to one tuner at a time and to both concurrently -- and there is never success.

I now know with certainty that my unit is defective. As I mentioned, the unit is making several video files for each show it records. I figured it was a problem when using either the OTA or the Ethernet for the clock time. Tonight I set the clock manually and took a new hard drive (which was recognized by the VRX2 with the NTFS formatting on the drive) and then started to reformat to the Linux EXT2 format. Things didn't go well.

After several minutes the machine rebooted in the middle of formatting. Not good. Before trying again I reformated toNTSF on my PC. The second time, the unit rebooted during the the reformatting.This rebooting during the reformatting is likely why I'm getting several video files per single program recorded -- it is rebooting during recording too - thus making a new file with each reboot. I thought the unit was rebooting due to a problem syncing with OTA time or the time from an Ethernet connection. The rebooting is definitely happening often - but intermittently.

I've had conversations with the same person who usually answers calls at ePVision. I have tried everything they've requested to get this thing working. But, I certainly didn't get the feeling when I asked about getting a replacement that this was going to be an easy task. I couldn't get a clear answer about warranty service / replacement.

I am going to head to the dealer tomorrow, since it's clear now exactly what the problem is. Has anyone had to deal with a service related issue, or needed a replacement from a dealer or ePVision?

Ian
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page