ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum
First ... 63  64  65 66  67  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 07:02 AM 01-10-2014
I would ask that dealer where he gets his stock from. Assuming it is ePVision, then ask ePVision why is there a problem getting warranty coverage on your product?
You can also go on that a number of others are watching the outcome on-line of this situation. wink.gif

JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt 09:19 AM 01-10-2014
I suspect a few CM-7400 users are following this saga, since they're looking at alternatives after losing their paid guides (and aren't thrilled about the DVR+ right after CM just burned them).

Defective boxes are always frustrating, even more so when they go bad after whatever short return period the dealer offers. But if warranty service turns out to be reasonably hassle-free, they may pick up a VRX2 anyway, despite the trouble Teeger's had.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 09:51 AM 01-10-2014
I would try a new USB Flash Stick remember formatted to FAT32. I have had to reload the firmware with new USB flash stick. Then ever thing work.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I would ask that dealer where he gets his stock from. Assuming it is ePVision, then ask ePVision why is there a problem getting warranty coverage on your product?
You can also go on that a number of others are watching the outcome on-line of this situation. wink.gif

videobruce's Avatar videobruce 12:52 PM 01-10-2014
He is using a HDD.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 01:43 PM 01-10-2014
I try the HDD it did not work right so now I use the USB Flash Stick and works great

Dave
Quote:

He is using a HDD.

jnotgsure's Avatar jnotgsure 02:26 PM 01-10-2014

First of all I'm very glad I found this forum and this thread.

I've searched high and low to find a tuner that would work with cable and receive analog and digital channels and through extensive Google searched I finally came upon this thread which led me to buy the VRX2.

I just bought one today and can't want to receive it.

I recently bought a projector and needed this tuner since it does not have an internal tuner like my old Vizio HDTV did.
I will be using it for basic cable, not for over the air.

Will the paid EPG work with basic cable?

Also, as far as using a flash drive instead of an HDD, what size do you guys recommend, and how many hours will it record?

Will it be able to record the analog channels or just the HD ones?

Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 03:17 PM 01-10-2014
You cannot record analogue channels. You can only view them.
teeger's Avatar teeger 03:48 PM 01-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I suspect a few CM-7400 users are following this saga, since they're looking at alternatives after losing their paid guides (and aren't thrilled about the DVR+ right after CM just burned them).

Defective boxes are always frustrating, even more so when they go bad after whatever short return period the dealer offers. But if warranty service turns out to be reasonably hassle-free, they may pick up a VRX2 anyway, despite the trouble Teeger's had.

After fretting about potentially not getting support for my defective vrx2, I was very pleased that the dealer in Toronto I purchased from (Save and Replay) stood behind the purchase I made (early Dec.). They simply swapped the unit for a new one.

I look forward to hooking it up tonight.

Note: From those who are using the latest firmware . . . is it worth installing? I don't want to temp fate with a firmware update if the newest release candidate is buggy. Any thoughts on the latest?

Thanks.

Ian
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt 03:49 PM 01-10-2014
Use a flash drive for updating firmware. Use a HDD for recording. Flash drives are generally too slow to record HD video (that's true no matter which box the flash drive is plugged in to).

As far as size goes, estimate 8 GB per hour of recorded HD video; 2 GB per hour of recorded SD video. So, for example, a 1 TB HDD would record roughly 125 hours of HD video or 500 hours of SD video. (But, YMMV.)
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt 03:57 PM 01-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotgsure View Post

Will the paid EPG work with basic cable?
It's not yet clear. Schedules Direct does provide guide data for cable, but the VRX2 firmware appears designed for the OTA guide only. Luckily, I believe Schedules Direct will give you a free trial; so if it doesn't work, you won't waste $25 signing up for the guide.

Since you already bought the VRX2, please try this out and let the rest of us know if the guide works on cable. If it does, the VRX2 would be the only standalone DVR other than TiVo to have a working cable guide.

One more, important question though: Who is your cable company?
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt 04:03 PM 01-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Note: From those who are using the latest firmware . . . is it worth installing? I don't want to tempt fate with a firmware update if the newest release candidate is buggy. Any thoughts on the latest?

Ian
AFAIK only Smithdoor is using the latest FW. He hasn't reported any issues, but he's always had pretty good luck with these boxes.

My opinion: probably no need to update unless:
  1. You want to use the Schedules Direct paid guide, or
  2. You use the VRX2 in 1080p mode, are suffering from the gray-bar-at-the-bottom bug, and you want to see if the latest firmware fixes it.

Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 10:09 PM 01-10-2014
I have almost no problem most I have run across was trying to make the PHD VRX work like the cable company box. The other was the TV had to be turn on last. The new PHD VRX2 I can turn the TV on first. They both work well as a DVR/Tuner Receiver . I do not use the the PHD VRX as a switch my TV does a good job as switch. The other use just USB stick and from others NOT Epvision . As the upgrade goes is using the paid guide and turning off the front LED. My old PHD VRX I just use tape and a USB LED light to show it was on.

Dave
Quote:

AFAIK only Smithdoor is using the latest FW. He hasn't reported any issues, but he's always had pretty good luck with these boxes.

My opinion: probably no need to update unless:
  1. You want to use the Schedules Direct paid guide, or
  2. You use the VRX2 in 1080p mode, are suffering from the gray-bar-at-the-bottom bug, and you want to see if the latest firmware fixes it.

videobruce's Avatar videobruce 06:07 AM 01-11-2014
Quote:
I don't want to temp fate with a firmware update if the newest release candidate is buggy.
Is this the VRX or the VRX2? Firmware, you can always revert back. wink.gif
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 07:14 AM 01-11-2014
I have only found one bug In Theme screen, schedule rec not working and they noted on there web site
I am waiting for some one to try a firmware update on the other PHD I sheer some will try sooner or later
I will say the new firmware for the old PHD VRX is working great I have not had any bugs it just keeps working

Dave
Quote:

Is this the VRX or the VRX2? Firmware, you can always revert back. wink.gif

videobruce's Avatar videobruce 10:16 AM 01-11-2014
The last update for the VRX was in October.
teeger's Avatar teeger 12:59 PM 01-11-2014
My new VRX2, which was replaced yesterday . . . not great! frown.gif

I was expecting that the replacement I received would be the end of the issues I've had. Is it likely that my dealer (who does get his stock directly from ePVision) may have received a "batch" that were problematic, and that I have another one of the potentially bad ones"?

Here's what happened last night when I installed the unit . . .

First, when doing a channel scan for both tuners, I got an inconsistency between tuner 1 and tuner 2. I've ALWAYS received Buffalo, NY CBS affiliate station WIVB on OTA channel 4.1. But when I scanned for channels, tuner 1 shows that WIVB is showing on 4-1 correctly --- but tuner two has it at 39-5. After doing an "all reset" and repeatedly unplugging the unit from the wall (to clear any residual memory) I decided to do the latest firmware update (the release candidate that was posted on Jan. 7th). This too resulted in the same problem with WIVB showing on a different (and incorrect) channel for tuner 2.

I decided to try to record a several shows with the newest firmware candidate . . . and the issue of several files being created per recording (due to the unit rebooting during the recording process) is occurring too with this new replacement unit. I think the firmware is the issue.

Late last night i downgraded to the Oct. 2013 firmware. And still, the WIVB Buffalo is assigned to the wrong channel number. on tuner 2. I was hoping going back to the Oct. 2013 firmware would fix the channel issue for this Buffalo station.

One good thing . . . I set up the unit to record a bunch of shows earlier today with the Oct. 2013 firmware. Each program recorded as a single file, which was good to see!. The issue causing the unit to reboot during the recording process doesn't seem to happen with the Oct. 2013 firmware. I will set up more recordings to see if this truly is the case.

Does anyone know if Smithdoor is related to ePVision? His posts and his two reviews make me wonder if might be the guy who runs the California office. If so, I'm hoping he can address some of the issues here that are affecting the operation of the unit and anything relating to firmware bugs.

Thanks.

Ian
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 01:51 PM 01-11-2014
I have nothing to do with epvision I am 250 miles from there plant
I like as it just works better than the cable boxes I have in the past
Also I am from the old computer days of have to get to works not plug and play
If you have a bug try reload the firmware this where I am finding the problems are coming from I do not know if is the USB stick or the other

Dave
Quote:

My new VRX2, which was replaced yesterday . . . not great! frown.gif

I was expecting that the replacement I received would be the end of the issues I've had. Is it likely that my dealer (who does get his stock directly from ePVision) may have received a "batch" that were problematic, and that I have another one of the potentially bad ones"?

Here's what happened last night when I installed the unit . . .

First, when doing a channel scan for both tuners, I got an inconsistency between tuner 1 and tuner 2. I've ALWAYS received Buffalo, NY CBS affiliate station WIVB on OTA channel 4.1. But when I scanned for channels, tuner 1 shows that WIVB is showing on 4-1 correctly --- but tuner two has it at 39-5. After doing an "all reset" and repeatedly unplugging the unit from the wall (to clear any residual memory) I decided to do the latest firmware update (the release candidate that was posted on Jan. 7th). This too resulted in the same problem with WIVB showing on a different (and incorrect) channel for tuner 2.

I decided to try to record a several shows with the newest firmware candidate . . . and the issue of several files being created per recording (due to the unit rebooting during the recording process) is occurring too with this new replacement unit. I think the firmware is the issue.

Late last night i downgraded to the Oct. 2013 firmware. And still, the WIVB Buffalo is assigned to the wrong channel number. on tuner 2. I was hoping going back to the Oct. 2013 firmware would fix the channel issue for this Buffalo station.

One good thing . . . I set up the unit to record a bunch of shows earlier today with the Oct. 2013 firmware. Each program recorded as a single file, which was good to see!. The issue causing the unit to reboot during the recording process doesn't seem to happen with the Oct. 2013 firmware. I will set up more recordings to see if this truly is the case.

Does anyone know if Smithdoor is related to ePVision? His posts and his two reviews make me wonder if might be the guy who runs the California office. If so, I'm hoping he can address some of the issues here that are affecting the operation of the unit and anything relating to firmware bugs.

Thanks.

Ian

videobruce's Avatar videobruce 01:53 PM 01-11-2014
Quote:
But when I scanned for channels, tuner 1 shows that WIVB is showing on 4-1 correctly --- but tuner two has it at 39-5.
To make you feel better, it does that here. wink.gif
It's been a on and off annoyance for some time. I have found that station and WNLO (RF 32) seem to take turns getting ID'ed by their physical channel number instead. I don't know why WIVB winds up with 39.5 instead of 39.1, especially when (I believe) they never had any sub-channels (unlike all the other WNY locals).
I never do a scan, I manually enter my physical channel numbers in. 17 physical numbers and I'm done. It saves me deleting around 10 unwanted entries (main & sub channels). What I have found is,if those 'problem' stations are entered in first, usually that solves it. Note I said "usually".
Quote:
I can assure you he isn't. redface.gif

Since I do not have the "2", I can't test the new FW since the versions can not be mixed between the two units.
teeger's Avatar teeger 02:14 PM 01-11-2014
Hey, Videobruce . . .

Thanks for the heads-up re the channel number "reasigning". I haven't attempted to do a manual tuning . . . I'll have to resort to the user manual to see how to do this - which I will do.

Thanks again for your help.

Ian
teeger's Avatar teeger 02:22 PM 01-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

I have nothing to do with epvision I am 250 miles from there plant
I like as it just works better than the cable boxes I have in the past
Also I am from the old computer days of have to get to works not plug and play
If you have a bug try reload the firmware this where I am finding the problems are coming from I do not know if is the USB stick or the other

Dave

Hi, Dave . . .

With all of your help and good ideas ... plus your experience with the latest firmware (and getting it working), made me feel you were the man behind this product. I really appreciate the effort you've put into getting your unit to work right . . . and for taking the time to try to help me.

If I find that the older firmware is going to continue working okay, I will likely only try a future firmware update IF I have to.

in the event that I have more buggy issues my unit, do you know if you can re-flash the Oct. 2013 (original) firmware when it is already installed? If not, I might have to once again install the latest beta in order to be able to do another "clean" Oct. 2013 firmware install.

Thanks again Dave!

Ian
videobruce's Avatar videobruce 03:30 PM 01-11-2014
Quote:
I'll have to resort to the user manual to see how to do this - which I will do
Apparently you haven't read the first 10 posts.
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 04:29 PM 01-11-2014
I have do manual on a station over 100 miles away. Not hard to do

Dave
Quote:

Hey, Videobruce . . .

Thanks for the heads-up re the channel number "reasigning". I haven't attempted to do a manual tuning . . . I'll have to resort to the user manual to see how to do this - which I will do.

Thanks again for your help.

Ian

jnotgsure's Avatar jnotgsure 04:43 PM 01-11-2014
Quote:

It's not yet clear. Schedules Direct does provide guide data for cable, but the VRX2 firmware appears designed for the OTA guide only. Luckily, I believe Schedules Direct will give you a free trial; so if it doesn't work, you won't waste $25 signing up for the guide.

Since you already bought the VRX2, please try this out and let the rest of us know if the guide works on cable. If it does, the VRX2 would be the only standalone DVR other than TiVo to have a working cable guide.

One more, important question though: Who is your cable company?

Time Warner West San Fernando Valley.

Hopefully the guide works, I'll let you know.

Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 07:00 PM 01-11-2014
Try looking at https://www.schedulesdirect.org/account It is also check out www.zap2it.com

Dave
Quote:

videobruce's Avatar videobruce 08:04 AM 01-12-2014
Questions;

1. Other than the color and style display, does the VRX2 still show all the messages as they were on the VRX; rec1, rec2, boot, update etc?? Especially if it shows which tuner is recording?

2. Can the pay guide be setup with both OTA & CATV if one is using both functions, or is it only one or the other?
Smithdoor's Avatar Smithdoor 10:02 AM 01-12-2014
They are are about the same only difrenats is the VRX2 has turn off the display and the auto pass through (if you have the old VRX with the firmware from Oct 2013 most ever thing is the same)
Yes the pay guide does have a option for CATV It displays the same info found on ZAP2 (I do not have any cable to try this)

Dave
Quote:

Questions;

1. Other than the color and style display, does the VRX2 still show all the messages as they were on the VRX; rec1, rec2, boot, update etc?? Especially if it shows which tuner is recording?

2. Can the pay guide be setup with both OTA & CATV if one is using both functions, or is it only one or the other?

Jed1's Avatar Jed1 10:27 AM 01-12-2014
Quote:

Tribune Media Services does not support in the clear QAM lineups for cable TV, only CableCard line ups and OTA line ups. Rovi (TV Guide) no longer supports cable line ups since the demise of TV Guide On Screen. Rovi only has OTA line ups for free guide services. If these boxes do not have a CableCard slot then you are out of luck guide wise when using cable. The only device on the market that supports CableCard and has an up to date guide is TiVo. TiVo uses Tribune Media Services. You can also try Windows Media Center with a CableCard tuner as this also uses Tribune Media Services for guide data.
Another issue to consider is all the cable companies are moving toward scrambling their entire channel line ups so any device that does not have a CableCard slot will be useless for receiving cable TV in the near future. Just some things to consider before making any future monetary commitments.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 03:20 PM 01-12-2014
The VRX 2 uses Schedules Direct for its guide, not Rovi, and Schedules Direct uses TMS as its source, just as TiVo does.
Jed1's Avatar Jed1 04:04 PM 01-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The VRX 2 uses Schedules Direct for its guide, not Rovi, and Schedules Direct uses TMS as its source, just as TiVo does.

I did mention TMS, but for the sake of being thorough I also mentioned Rovi since these are the only two places guide data will come from. And as I stated neither guide data provider will support in the clear QAM cable TV line ups.
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt 06:17 PM 01-12-2014
Quote:

WNLO (RF 32) seem to take turns getting ID'ed by their physical channel number instead. I don't know why WIVB winds up with 39.5 instead of 39.1, especially when (I believe) they never had any sub-channels (unlike all the other WNY locals).
I have an old CM-7000 converter box (not the Pal DVR) that does this too.

The .5 is the Packet ID (divided by 16, or hex 10) for WIVB's only subchannel. Not sure why they used hex 50 (most stations start with hex 30).
Tags: Epvision Phd Vrx
First ... 63  64  65 66  67  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop