post #1981 of 2358 Old 01-16-2014, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

Press the button lable net
You may need to reload the firmware I had to and ever thing work great it took only 5 min

Dave

Well it's a no go on the guide.

Youtube works fine so I know it has a network connection.

Is there any other option I should try checking for software instead of "Non-distributed: Personal research"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We know the internet is working
1. Check your user name and past work for SD it right on the PHD VRX2.
2 Check Your setting on SD see if you have the right channel set
3 check your zip code (may need your main post office zip)

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotgsure View Post

Is there any other option I should try checking for software instead of "Non-distributed: Personal research"?
post #1983 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:

We know the internet is working
1. Check your user name and past work for SD it right on the PHD VRX2.
2 Check Your setting on SD see if you have the right channel set
3 check your zip code (may need your main post office zip)

Dave

UH OH!!!!!

http://www.schedulesdirect.org/

Quote:

January 16th 2014

ePVision is not supported!

It has come to our attention that a commercial DVR manufacturer is offering our guide data service. Schedules Direct is only licensed to provide data to non-commercial applications. Use of SD with ePVision and other commercial products (with a few granted exceptions) is not permitted. See Approved Apps for a list.

videobruce and kwg like this.
post #1984 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Well, that sucks. mad.gif Apparently S.D. had to make that agreement with Tribune to gain access to their guide data.

I don't think S.D. can stop the PHD-VRX2 from downloading their guide with a valid subscription, but Tribune can & probably will sue to force ePVision to remove the offending firmware from their Web site - which means we won't see S.D. available for the PHD-VRX, and if you think you might buy a PHD-VRX2 someday, you'd better download the necessary firmware now. Edit: Too late. I just tried the link in post #10 and got a 404 error. The firmware for the S.D. guide has already been taken down. Congratulations to the lucky few who got it in time.
post #1985 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Press the button lable net

You may need to reload the firmware I had to and ever thing work great it took only 5 min

Dave

If you can, try hooking up an antenna and re-scanning. I bet your S.D. guide works for OTA but not cable. (And from what you just posted, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a firmware update to support cable.)

I suspect the problem is what I worried about earlier: the PHD-VRX2 can't match up channels on the tuner to channels in the guide. This is a long shot but can you tell if there are any channels with the same number on both the PHD-VRX2 and the guide? (Check Zap2It.com if you can't see the guide any other way.) If so, see if those channels have a guide.
post #1986 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Well, that sucks. mad.gif Apparently S.D. had to make that agreement with Tribune to gain access to their guide data.

I don't think S.D. can stop the PHD-VRX2 from downloading their guide with a valid subscription, but Tribune can & probably will sue to force ePVision to remove the offending firmware from their Web site - which means we won't see S.D. available for the PHD-VRX, and if you think you might buy a PHD-VRX2 someday, you'd better download the necessary firmware now.

I called epvision and he informed me that it won't work with cable anyways, he said it will only work with the OTA guide.
What does the SD guide do that the OTA guide wont?

I'm new to this so I'm just confused as to why the guide is even desired if it doesn't work for cable?

post #1987 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM

I am sorry to here that
The free guide has all the channels I need

Dave
Quote:

If you can, try hooking up an antenna and re-scanning. I bet your S.D. guide works for OTA but not cable. (And from what you just posted, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a firmware update to support cable.)

I suspect the problem is what I worried about earlier: the PHD-VRX2 can't match up channels on the tuner to channels in the guide. This is a long shot but can you tell if there are any channels with the same number on both the PHD-VRX2 and the guide? (Check Zap2It.com if you can't see the guide any other way.) If so, see if those channels have a guide.
post #1988 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:

I don't have an antenna.

post #1989 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

A lot of folks use DVRs to record over-the-air, and the S.D. guide is 7 days, vs. 12-72 hours typical for the free PSIP guides. So it is was still a big help to OTA users.
Quote:

Quote:

I don't have an antenna.
Could you use one if you did have one? Are you close enough to your stations for an ordinary rabbit ears + loop combo to work?
post #1990 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Also, some small channels do not have a guide.
I do not watch those channels not a big problem for me I did try the one week free from SD and did work great.

Dave
Quote:

A lot of folks use DVRs to record over-the-air, and the S.D. guide is 7 days, vs. 12-72 hours typical for the free PSIP guides. So it is was still a big help to OTA users.
post #1991 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:

That makes sense.

Wish I could get it to work with cable, but since there's no way to verify if it even tried to download from SD, I'll never know if it could work.
Truth be told though, I rarely watch TV anyways (I'm a Roku addict) so it's really no big deal.
I didn't even buy this for the DVR function, I bought it for the tuner because I could not find a tuner that would pick up QAM and analog cable channels at the same time.
If you know of a device besides this that would do that, I'd be real curious just to know, because I searched high and low and couldn't find anything.

post #1992 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Whenever videobruce checks this topic again, it's time to revert the title, I guess. frown.gif
post #1993 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

ePVision also makes a PHD-208, which lacks the recording function; but I think it still tunes both analog and clear QAM channels. If you don't need the recording function and it's not too late to return your PHD-VRX2, you could exchange it for the PHD-208 and save some money.

BTW, keep in mind that both analog and clear QAM are likely to go away someday, so whatever you buy will probably have a limited lifetime.
post #1994 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Schedules Direct is only licensed to provide data to non-commercial applications. Use of SD with ePVision and other commercial products (with a few granted exceptions) is not permitted.
Houston, we have a problem. rolleyes.gif

1. Tell me that Allen and company didn't get some type of agreement, contract, permission etc. to use their service on their product? Mars to Earth, are you there?
2. As long as one is paying for the service, what is the difference? It isn't as if one was hacking a subscription. If I see a Guide on my computer screen vs seeing it on a HDTV, what is the difference?
3. What/who are these "granted exceptions"??
Quote:
I don't think S.D. can stop the PHD-VRX2 from downloading their guide with a valid subscription
That gets back to #2.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1995 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Whenever videobruce checks this topic again, it's time to revert the title, I guess.
Have your people call my people and we will do lunch. Need to do something.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1996 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree on #2. As long as Tribune is getting paid via S.D. or whomever, why should they care?

My guess is that Tribune required S.D. to put that in their Terms of Service; probably because they have an exclusive contract with you-know-who.
kwg likes this.
post #1997 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:

ePVision also makes a PHD-208, which lacks the recording function; but I think it sstill tunes both analog and clear QAM channels. If you don't need the recording function and it's not too late to return your PHD-VRX2, you could exchange it for the PHD-208 and save some money.

BTW, keep in mind that both analog and clear QAM are likely to go away someday, so whatever you buy will probably have a limited lifetime.

Yeah I know that, but I am struggling with my new conversion from a TV to a projector, and this fit the bill for other reasons as well.
1. It has a LED readout in front that the 208 doesn't (personal preference)

2. I need to extract the audio from my Roku 3 because my Harmon Kardon 635 doesn't have HDMI inputs, and the VRX2 has an HDMI in, which eliminates the need for an expensive HDMI switcher with audio out, or a separate audio extractor. (Although I haven't tried it yet, so hopefully it works.)

3. It has a Component in so I can use my Wii through it. (although I haven't tried that yet either.)

The only thing left to hook up to my Epson 2030 projector is my PS3 which I can do at the back of the room near my projector, once again eliminating the need for a switcher, although if I want sound from it I will have to run a long Optical cable to the receiver.
Ultimately I could have just bought an HDMI switcher but then I couldn't find one that has a component in for the Wii.

For a somewhat ignorant guy, and being new to projectors, this was quite a task for me to even figure out, and I'm not even sure I've done this the best way while trying to keep the cost down.

With the unique situation I have with the basic cable and all, I've been basically trying to reinvent the wheel, and let me tell you, I'm about as frustrated as can be.

post #1998 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
As long as one is paying for the service, what is the difference? It isn't as if one was hacking a subscription. If I see a Guide on my computer screen vs seeing it on a HDTV, what is the difference?

How is a computer and your computer monitor not "commercial products"?

Is it because the software you use for the guide is not commercial?

If so, there has to be a way to release the "software" non commercially to be used on the VRX2 "commercial product" in the same way that is done for the computer.
It just seems like the right hoop needs to be jumped through or the right loophole needs to be made.

post #1999 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 419
My guess is that SD was only able to get its pricing scheme by agreeing to those terms. If the SD guide was available to all companies, the $10 / month fee for guide service model would fall apart. The only way SD could have gotten such a deal is if it agreed to limit its service to supporting freeware PVR solutions.
post #2000 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

From the above, it sounds like the PHD-VRX2 is still the best box for your needs. For the most part, it is a switcher; it just has an additional DVR function you don't need.

It's weakness is the lack of a guide, but since you're not recording, you just need to be able to display one, not schedule recordings from it. You could do that in a couple of ways:
  1. a cable box that's always tuned to your cable company's guide;
  2. a PC with a Web browser pointed to the guide Web site of your choice.
post #2001 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 PM

So can't epvision just release the "software" aka "firmware" for "free"?

post #2002 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

As long as one is paying for the service, what is the difference? It isn't as if one was hacking a subscription. If I see a Guide on my computer screen vs seeing it on a HDTV, what is the difference? 
Is it because the software you use for the guide is not commercial?
If so, there has to be a way to release the "software" non commercially to be used on the VRX2 "commercial product" in the same way that is done for the computer.

It just seems like the right hoop needs to be jumped through or the right loophole needs to be made.
Interesting idea! It may be that all ePVision needs to do is to release the source to their firmware under the GPL (and perhaps relabel the PHD-VRX2 as a "media PC" rolleyes.gif )

If nothing else, at least the open-source community could get to work fixing all the firmware issues wink.gif
post #2003 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
They are, this is the point. If it is Ok for me to acquire this data on my computer, why isn't it Ok on another "commercial" device??
Quote:
So can't epvision just release the "software" aka "firmware" for "free"?
It is for "free". What company charges for firmware updates?

post #2004 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:

From the above, it sounds like the PHD-VRX2 is still the best box for your needs. For the most part, it is a switcher; it just has an additional DVR function you don't need.

It's weakness is the lack of a guide, but since you're not recording, you just need to be able to display one, not schedule recordings from it. You could do that in a couple of ways:
  1. a cable box that's always tuned to your cable company's guide;
  2. a PC with a Web browser pointed to the guide Web site of your choice.

I have no cable box, the VRX2 is now my cable box.

Previously I just used the tuner that was in my Vizio TV.

For the guide I just use the TV guide app on my smart phone, although it would be really nice to have it on my new 120" screen instead. ;)
Plus I would like to use the DVR function to record football and the Walking Dead, especially when they do a season 4 recap marathon, but the VRX2 wont record Walking Dead anyways since it wont record analog channels ;(.

So in the end, it just makes it all not worth it to even buy a hard drive to use for recording if it's only for football, which only has three games left this season anyways.

Maybe next year, but then then question becomes, can I record manually without a guide?

post #2005 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:

It is for "free". What company charges for firmware updates?

Yes but the firmware came preloaded on my machine since I bought it after the firmware was released, which means it was "sold" along with the "commercial product".

Not to mention that if they just give it away for free (as they have already been doing of course), there might be some sort of wacky legal mumbo jumbo "conflict of interest" being it would be released by the same company that makes and sells the "commercial product".

I am no lawyer but it seems very plausible.

But if someone else were to release it, then......hmmmmm

Maybe it can be uploaded to a file share website and as long as only people here share it, then it would be all kosher?

post #2006 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Jnotgsure, yes; you can still record any clear QAM channels on the PHD-VRX2. You just have to schedule them manually, VCR-style (since there's no guide for cable). So it should handle football OK.

But as you said, it won't record analog channels. So for the Walking Dead, I believe the new Funai (Magnavox/Philips) PVRs may be your best bet. They cost about as much as the PHD-VRX2, can't be used as a switcher, and don't even have an OTA guide (!), but I think they will record analog channels.
post #2007 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Jnotgsure, yes; you can still record any clear QAM channels on the PHD-VRX2. You just have to schedule them manually, VCR-style (since there's no guide for cable). So it should handle football OK.

But as you said, it won't record analog channels. So for the Walking Dead, I believe the new Funai (Magnavox/Philips) PVRs may be your best bet. They cost about as much as the PHD-VRX2, can't be used as a switcher, and don't even have an OTA guide (!), but I think they will record analog channels.

That would open up a whole new can of worms for me because then I'd need a switcher, audio extractor and or new receiver that is HDMI capable, all somewhat expensive options considering I've just about depleted my wad for this projector.

But just out of curiosity can you link me to the pertinent Funai (Magnavox/Philips) PVRs or give me model numbers?
Do they require a cable card?
And will they receive analog and QAM channels at the same time?

Dammit, why can't some just make a machine that does everything? lol

Because that would be asking a lot as I'm probably 1 of only a few people that have my needs.
Thank goodness I'm not super attached to the recording part or I'd be much more frustrated.

post #2008 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually I was thinking you could keep the PHD-VRX2, and also buy a Funai (or maybe a used Funai HDD/DVD recorder) just for analog recording.

I stole these links from Videobruce's DVR comparison thread: None of these are CableCARD compatible. If you need to record encrypted digital cable, TiVo (or a PC with a Ceton or HDHomeRun Prime tuner) or your cable company's DVR are your only options.
post #2009 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Actually I was thinking you could keep the PHD-VRX2, and also buy a Funai (or maybe a used Funai HDD/DVD recorder) just for analog recording.

Like this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-500GB-with-Bonus-Ematic-HDMI-1080p-Cable-6/26934923

What the hell is ematic HDMI?

Snake oil?

post #2010 of 2358 Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that's one of them.

I think in this context, Ematic is just the brand of HDMI cable they're throwing in when you buy the Maggy. (It threw me off for a sec because Ematic also sells a clone of the iView 1-tuner DVR.)
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page