ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #181 of 2338 Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First the obligatory thanks to all (I received mine last week)!

I don't think this issue has been mentioned: Whenever I go into media player/video the recording stops. The front panel still indicates that it's recording but it stopped as soon as I entered media player/video.

EDIT: This was only a problem with my particular hard drive - see post 185.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2338 Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 374
At least the VRX lets you manually select a tuner. That's a feature missing from the other comparable DVRs, I think. I know the TViX doesn't let you do that.
post #183 of 2338 Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks for all the legwork, Videobruce! I currently have an 8VX (and a retired 205LE.) I use it in my theater for the occasional TV watching. I might upgrade to this for the DVR capability. I just have to run coax from my attic to the basement so that I can connect my OTA antenna.

Subscribed!
post #184 of 2338 Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 151
GilesLevy;
I can't recall that happening.
What HDD/enclosure are you using and how was it formatted? From the DVR or through a PC and which file system?

c-not-k;
Does the 8VX have the same excessive black video problem this has?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #185 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 AM

Regarding my issue in post #181:

I was using an external iomega hard drive (connected to the DVR) formatted as ext2, but I just tried a USB flash drive and everything works fine!

I think the problem (which I should have thought of) is that the iomega doesn't perform too well unless it is drawing power from two USB ports - I guess the PHD-VRX is only giving it power through one.

Bruce, thanks for responding - I just assumed it was an issue with a new product and didn't think to try a different USB drive.
post #186 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Did you use the internal utility or through a PC for format the drive?
Was the drive previously formatted?
What size (GB and physical) drive and if it was with the utility, how long did it take?

Powering hard drives through a USB bus can require the 'dongle' of a 'Y' cable to be connected (per my photos in posts 4 & 5) in order to supply the additional current for the drive. The 2.5" drive I have didn't need the 2nd connection.

BTW, Welcome to the forums.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #187 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM

c-not-k;
Does the 8VX have the same excessive black video problem this has?[/quote]

Not to my recollection, and neither did the 205. I'll try to watch some TV tonight and look for it.
post #188 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There is a review in Amazon mentioning the problem with the 8VX.
ePVision admits to it.

post #189 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Did you use the internal utility or through a PC for format the drive?
Was the drive previously formatted?
What size (GB and physical) drive and if it was with the utility, how long did it take?
Powering hard drives through a USB bus can require the 'dongle' of a 'Y' cable to be connected (per my photos in posts 4 & 5) in order to supply the additional current for the drive. The 2.5" drive I have didn't need the 2nd connection.
BTW, Welcome to the forums.

It is an (older generation) iomega 500gb "eGo" (about 3 5/8" x 5 5/8" x 3/4"). I formatted it as ext2 from my laptop using GParted under Ubuntu (Linux). It was previously formatted as ext3.
I tried with the extra connection (of the Y cable) in USB1, with it in USB2, and without using the extra connection. All had the same behavior - but it's fine with my flash drive.

So far I'm really happy with it and I'm not very concerned about this behavior since it's fine with my USB flash drive.
post #190 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCS View Post

Is it possible to manually schedule a recording at the same time of day and day-of-week every week (e.g. record at 7:00 PM on Thursdays on channel 6.1)? This is such a basic scheduling task, but this unit doesn't appear to have it.

Do you feel your question was answered?
post #191 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilesLevy 
So far I'm really happy with it and I'm not very concerned about this behavior since it's fine with my USB flash drive.

You should try to find a HDD that works if you can, since flash drives will fail quickly when used with a DVR. Flash memory is designed for fast read operations, but write operations damage it. As such, it's ideal for system drives of computers where program data is constantly being read, but information is rarely written. For storage drives where large volumes of data get written frequently, a standard HDD is more suitable.

This is especially true for DVRs, because a DVR has very low data throughput requirements. Data only gets written to (and read from) a DVR HDD at some ~20 Mbit/s per program, which is a waste of flash memory's speed; however, having that write operation last for an hour or more results in a huge amount of data getting written to the drive, which will consume the lifespan of a flash drive in short order.
post #192 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks Aleron: I didn't know that about lifespans - I'll make the flash drive a very short term solution.
post #193 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM

How does the picture quality compare to doing directly OTA to the TV?
post #194 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Not to my recollection, and neither did the 205. I'll try to watch some TV tonight and look for it.

Watched about 30 minutes. Haven't noticed any PQ issues. (But I did go to ePvision's website and download the latest firmware.)
post #195 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

GilesLevy;
I agree with what Aleron Ives said. Flash drives are no way to record data streams as complex and large as these.
Photos fine, but surely not HDTV. I wouldn't even thing of recording SDTV om one of those memory sticks. wink.gif

c-not-k;
What should be in your recorder is on their website. Don't flash it before you check what is already there!

post #196 of 2338 Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Keep both OTA (ATSC) and cable (QAM/NTSC) channel list information on each tuner without re-scanning every time

I have had to rescan twice since setting up this unit. I keep loosing the clear QAM digital cable channels. It also keeps adding channels that have no picture/sound.
post #197 of 2338 Old 06-20-2012, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rescans will delete the existing lists. Every tuner that I have ever seen is this way. When you do a 'Scan Channels', watch what is checked or not checked.
If you do as I recommend by just using "Find channel" by adding one physical channel at a time, there is no way anything will get erased. You know your local physical channels numbers, don't you? If not, go to your areas local thread in the reception sub-forum and look or ask there.

Sorry, I never took a screen shot of that sub menu with those search options. I will when I get mine back.redface.gif

Exactly what are you trying to do? Are you missing some OTA channels?

post #198 of 2338 Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
c-not-k;What should be in your recorder is on their website. Don't flash it before you check what is already there!

I've had mine a while - I was one rev out. After flashing I had to rescan channels and tweak video settings.

Currently I'm viewing unencrypted Comcast signals. As soon as I can run a cable I'll try OTA. Still no picture issues with the 8VX.

Too bad they didn't include an internal connector for a hard drive, although your solution is elegant, and wouldn't be visible from the front of my rack.

I'll wait until I get OTA in the theater to decide if I want the PHD-VRX.
post #199 of 2338 Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What was the firmware version? You probably should of left it as is.

post #200 of 2338 Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 PM

It was running 8VX.43.13.23. It is now running 8VX.54.15.07. I'm an IT guy, and try to keep all the equipment I'm responsible for at work current. Why would you suggest not upgrading the 8VX? (I know sometimes with my PCH a new firmware breaks things, but even with that possibility the outcome is generally positive.)
post #201 of 2338 Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Liked: 28
"As of this writing the internal disk formatting function has never worked, even with two different drives on my test unit. Even if it did, I strongly recommend not using it, rather go here and download this free program to format your drive to ext2 (or NTFS if you wish);
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/linux-partition-manager.htm
The program works great, it's fairly easy to use and since it allows you to at least see a ext2 formatted drive within Windows (though you still can't access it) it can be used to replace M$'s utilities for any formatting. Unlike ePVisions internal buggy program, this will least give you an idea how far into the operation you are. Actually, Allen has already mentioned using this, apparently he found it before I did. There are only two functions that are not enabled, neither are of any importance here. It's not a trial program.
A more advanced program is here. This allows reading ext2 drives within Windows with additional drivers;
http://www.fs-driver.org/"

(1) Has anyone formatted their HDD using the internal formatting function? If so what were the results? I see from post #2 above that Bruce never did get the function to work. I believe I saw where you, Bruce, have sent back your test unit. Have you gotten a new version and have you had any luck with the formatting function?
(2) It seems that most of the posts are advocating using the ext2 format and I see where Bruce has given us a couple of options for getting the software to do an ext2 format. Has anyone used either of these programs and is there an opinion on preference for these two? Does anyone have another program that they have had success using? Why would I choose one program over the other? I do NOT have a tech. background so if I could hear in laymans terms your opinions that would be great. If I read the post #2 it looks like one program allows read only if the HDD is accessed with Windows while the other may allow writing to the recording if used within Windows, is that correct? I would guess that this would be a function if I wanted to be able to edit my recording? Is that correct? Thanks in advance to all answers.
Tom
post #202 of 2338 Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

c-not-k;
Current posted firmware on their site is 242.18.10,
Previous version that he sent me, not on their site was 242.16.31,
The 1st posted firmware was 54.15.07 which was installed when I received mine three months ago.

Your unit came with 43.13.23?? When did you get yours and did it have the three punch-outs for the component outputs that weren't installed on the back panel?

As far as upgrading, have you read post 10 that I already mentioned that the latest version removes features I feel shouldn't of been and it apparently doesn't allow the HDD to spin down when not in use. What's worse, trying to revert back to the previous version, didn't return the HDD spin down provision. That tells me, flashing does not wipe all the previous code which would seem to indicate a concern for problems. I saw no improvement or any bug fix with the latest update.

post #203 of 2338 Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

tmn1;
They just received the unit yesterday. Until I hear different, I can only assume it is a hardware problem though I have no idea why or where the problem is since all other related functions seem to work ok. At least one oher stated the format function did work, but didn't provide any much needed details.

post #204 of 2338 Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:

c-not-k;
Current posted firmware on their site is 242.18.10,
Previous version that he sent me, not on their site was 242.16.31,
The 1st posted firmware was 54.15.07 which was installed when I received mine three months ago.
Your unit came with 43.13.23?? When did you get yours and did it have the three punch-outs for the component outputs that weren't installed on the back panel?
As far as upgrading, have you read post 10 that I already mentioned that the latest version removes features I feel shouldn't of been and it apparently doesn't allow the HDD to spin down when not in use. What's worse, trying to revert back to the previous version, didn't return the HDD spin down provision. That tells me, flashing does not wipe all the previous code which would seem to indicate a concern for problems. I saw no improvement or any bug fix with the latest update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

It was running 8VX.43.13.23. It is now running 8VX.54.15.07. I'm an IT guy, and try to keep all the equipment I'm responsible for at work current. Why would you suggest not upgrading the 8VX? (I know sometimes with my PCH a new firmware breaks things, but even with that possibility the outcome is generally positive.)

videobruce,
c-not-k is talking about the "8VX" not the "VRX".
post #205 of 2338 Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Then he is in the wrong thread!

ePVision is using the same firmware (or at least the same number) for both devices??

post #206 of 2338 Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

ePVision is using the same firmware (or at least the same number) for both devices??

That was included in the original post.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-owners-thread/150_50#post_22151198

I think his/her point was not all firmware updates breaks things.
post #207 of 2338 Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Never said they did.

Kind of hard to notice a very similar three letter/digit model number in a longer string of digits of a firmware version.

post #208 of 2338 Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:

No, not really.
Quote:

c-not-k;
Does the 8VX have the same excessive black video problem this has?

You asked me to comment on whether the 8VX had the same video issues as the PRX. I replied. I think that info is valid in this thread, considering that I may not be the only one who is considering upgrading.
post #209 of 2338 Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, but I didn't/wouldn't know you were still referring to their other device.

post #210 of 2338 Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Question: Is TIVO also an over the air tuner? Can I plug in an antenna and get uncompressed OTA local channels like the PHD? If yes, why buy the EPVision over a TIVO?

edit: it looks like there's a subscription.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page