6Likes

post #2071 of 2358 Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

:D

This series of file system comparison charts might be of interest?

:D 

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2358 Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The latest firmware appears to have just been released for the VRX2. This is version 243.25.43 (not RC2).

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/

According to the corresponding PDF file:
Firmware Ver. VRX2.243.25.43:
TV Micro Ver. 3.20
  • User controllable of turning on and off front Panel LED digits by: → Menu → Settings → Front Panel LED Display (On or Off)
  • In Guide screen, pressing channel up (CH+) or channel down (CH-) key is prohibited
  • Directly switching between Tuner1 EPG or Tuner2 EPG in Guide screen by pressing TV key
  • Navigating channel name/number in both directions within the Guide screen
  • Ability to remove the recording events within Guide screen
  • Changing the default color/picture setting based on user inputs
  • Combining text and icons in on-screen menu for more intuitive menu control
  • Changing RF1 icon color
  • Deep function improvements

Scott
videobruce likes this.
post #2073 of 2358 Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 161
There is a update for the VRX also. As stated before;
"In Guide screen, pressing channel up (CH+) or channel down (CH-) key is prohibited" and "Changing RF1 icon color" have been on my lists for some time now, finally corrected.
"Directly switching between Tuner1 EPG or Tuner2 EPG in Guide screen by pressing TV key: A somewhat improvement, but with glitches matching the channel with the listings after the switch.
"Changing the default color/picture setting based on user inputs" Haven't found this change yet.
"Combining text and icons in on-screen menu for more intuitive menu control" Long time at the top of my list. This helps, but the text us small, doesn't stand out, especially with the overly large duplicated name to the right and above which is the distraction.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2074 of 2358 Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 AM

Liked: 10
> For those not up on linux, DruidZ and Smithdoor are discussing file formats:

Well, Smithdoor was. I was discussing remote mounting.

> DruidZ was asking if VRX2 supports NFS. This would allow us to record onto
> a disk via the network instead of needing to be plugged directly into the VRX2.
> DruidZ said that the manufacturer indicated that NFS was not supported by the VRX2.

Right. But someone here suggested that it was possible. In fact, I think someone suggested
that the PHD-VRX2 was actually a Linux box and that if we knew the magic words that we
could log into it. That would be super cool.
post #2075 of 2358 Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Yes, VRX2 (and many previous PHD variants) are Linux boxes.

Since the Linux kernel can be built with, and without, specific modules, if EPvision didn't include the nfs module in the kernel, then it wouldn't be possible to mount.

Since I don't see a hard disk in the tear-down photos, then the kernel must be in flash (or burned in).

If the patch file that they distribute is the entire OS, then one may be able to look at that file for details. But I haven't tried looking at it.

Scott
post #2076 of 2358 Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
They have post new firmware for PHD VRX2 See firmware (version VRX2.243.25.43)
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD_VRX2_firmware-VRX2_243_25_43.zip

Dave
post #2077 of 2358 Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Does the VRX2 have the same menu interface as the VRX1, and is the tuner the same? The VRX1 has a sensitive tuner.
post #2078 of 2358 Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes to both.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2079 of 2358 Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM

I received my VRX2 in the mail a couple of days ago. I updated the firmware to 243.25.43 last night and didn't have any problems.

I tried to use the EaseUS Partition Manager (that VideoBruce recommended in Post #2) on Windows to format my USB disk, but it asked for the "registration code" when I hit APPLY. So I assume that the EaseUS folks changed how the demo version works. So I was unable to use EaseUS to format the disk. I probably grabbed the wrong version of EaseUS. VideoBruce later said to get the first download from this link: http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

This is the USB 2TB WD Elements disk that I have:
So I used the VRX2's tool to format the disk as ext2. As other people have pointed out, there is no status bar showing progress during the formatting process. But I just let it run until it finished (it did eventually; I don't know how long it took since I just left it running and came back awhile later and it was done).

After formatting, the VRX2's speed test tool reported 19 MB/sec for this disk. Note that this disk (amazon link above) does indeed comes with an external power supply.

Since the VRX2 has an HDMI output, but my projector has a VGA input, I purchased this Kanex ATVPRO AirPlay HDMI to VGA converter:
I also purchased this Portta PET0301S HDMI switch box so that it will switch between my Panasonic DMP-BDT500 bluray player and the PHD-VRX2 DVR:
The Portta autoswitches with prioritized ports, so I don't use the remote that is shown in the photo. Fabulous for only $10. I have the VRX2 on Port 1 and my bluray player on Port 3. So I can pause the blu-ray, turn on the VRX2, and the Portta autoswitches to Port 1. When I turn off the VRX2, it automatically pops back to Port 3.

Note that I also bought a power supply for the Portta HDMI switch box. Everyone says that you don't need it (except for a handful of special cases), but then again everyone else asks where to get a power supply that works with the Portta. So I bought one and plugged it in...

Since I am OTA, I have a powered splitter (Motorola BDA-S2, +11dB gain output instead of the typical -4dB loss) to split the coax coming from my antenna (this is in addition to the amp on the antenna). The two outputs from that Motorola splitter go to the two RF input ports of the PHD-VRX2:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signal-Booster-BDA-S2-Amplifier/dp/B0017I1PVC

At this point, everything seems to be working as expected. The PHD-VRX2 seems to have a little better tuner than my PHD-205LE. I am in the fringes of the local PBS station (KVIE Ch 6, RF9, 60 miles away, with my high-gain antenna on a pole above the chimney) and the PHD-205LE occasionally had pixelation breakup problems with that station. But the PHD-VRX2 seems more solid and no pixelation breakup so far.

Scott
post #2080 of 2358 Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You probably got the pay version. here is a link for both, grap the 1st entry;
http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
Quote:
Note that I also bought the power supply. Everyone says that you don't need it (except for a handful of special cases),
No one has tested a USB interface HDD in a external enclosure with the newer power supply in the "2" version yet. The only way for sure is to run the drive for some time (recording or playback) and use a IR thermometer to take temperature reading of the components.
Quote:
The PHD-VRX2 seems to have a little better tuner than my PHD-205LE
The 205 was a much older design and the video was terrible, very soft (not specifically due to the tuner though).

post #2081 of 2358 Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM

You may have misunderstood my comment about a "power supply" in your Post #2080:
Quote:
No one has tested a USB interface HDD in a external enclosure with the newer power supply in the "2" version yet. The only way for sure is to run the drive for some time (recording or playback) and use a IR thermometer to take temperature reading of the components.

The "power supply" that I was referring to in Post #2079 was the power supply for the Portta HDMI switcher. Many folks ask what power supply to purchase, and many folks respond that a power supply isn't needed. But I bought the power supply anyway ($6) because in some cases a power supply is indeed needed for an HDMI switcher.

The WD Elements 2TB USB external drive that I mentioned in Post #2079 does indeed comes with its own power supply. I'm getting 19 MB/sec on the VRX2's speed test -- plugged into the VRX2's right-side USB port when viewed from the back (labeled USB1).

Scott
post #2082 of 2358 Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes I did.
I have the same switcher with no supply. Works fine.
Is that a full size HDD? If so, then it has to have a separate supply unlike a laptop 2 1/2" drive.

post #2083 of 2358 Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Report on the Updated Features of the New Version VRX2.243.25.43 Firmware for PHD-VRX2.

Published on ePVision site on Feb. 6, 2014

It looks like I am the first person to report on the updated features of the new firmware for PHD-VRX2 (version VRX2.243.25.43).

I will follow the comments that appear on the ePVision PHD-VRX2 firmware download page.

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrx2main.htm

Switching Tuner1 or Tuner2 EPG within the Guide screen

A new TV button icon appears at the bottom of the Guide menu. Pressing the TV button switches me between tuners. However, it also takes me out of the Guide and into tuner mode. That is how the TV switch always worked. Hopefully a future update will enable this feature to work as advertised.

Navigating channel name/number in both directions within the Guide screen

If this means that the menu will navigate to the top line after reaching the bottom line, then it is working.

Ability to remove recording events within Guide screen

If you select the recorded event and then select the record button, you are given a new button choice labeled “Delete”. It worked.

No directly changing channels within Guide screen

Channel up and down no longer works in the Guide screen.

Changing the default color/picture setting based on user inputs

I wondered what this meant at first. Then I realized that the default picture settings for Tuner1 and Tuner2 have been changed to the settings recommended by videobruce in posting 1841. The default brightness is 16, contrast is 65, and color is -5 for each input.

The new default settings do not extend to the recording playback menu. The original unrealistic picture settings are still there.

Combining text and icons in on-screen menu for more intuitive menu control

I have no idea what this is.

Changing RF1 icon color

This is changed from gray to a light blue.

Deep function improvements

It would be helpful if these improvements were published in detail. I will have to wait and see if the PHD-VRX2 behaves and does not do the following things occasionally: freeze on boot, record without stopping, or not record at all when scheduled.

User controllable turning on and off front Panel LED digits

This works.

Other improvements

I am sure someone is going to ask about the gray horizontal bar across the bottom of the screen. My Sony Bravia 42-inch HDTV is too small to be affected, so I do not know if this firmware version made the bar go away.

Eric

videobruce and JHBrandt like this.
post #2084 of 2358 Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

[QUOTESwitching Tuner1 or Tuner2 EPG within the Guide screen

A new TV button icon appears at the bottom of the Guide menu. Pressing the TV button switches me between tuners. However, it also takes me out of the Guide and into tuner mode. That is how the TV switch always worked. Hopefully a future update will enable this feature to work as advertised.][/QUOTE]I didn't see that happen, but I have the original model using a non released firmware version. The Guide stays up, but the channel the insert is on is not the channel the Guide goes to all the time. It's kind of hard to explain it. redface.gif

Quote:
No directly changing channels within Guide screen Channel up and down no longer works in the Guide screen.
Long overdue. It caused you to exit the Guide.

Quote:
Combining text and icons in on-screen menu for more intuitive menu controI have no idea what this is.]
The confusion/distraction is Icons that are hard to figure out what they are until you are there in that section. Then add the name of the section above and to the right which makes you think you are actually in that section when you aren't. You then go toggling up or down, but since you are not 'in', you move to another section, then have to go back to where you wanted to be.
I suggested removing the icon entirely and moving the extra large text over to replace it.
What was done is add small, plain, black text below the icon, but it is too small to get your attention. Your eye is till drawn to the excessively large test as it was before.

Quote:
Changing RF1 icon color. This is changed from gray to a light blue.
Another long overdue. Why they choose gray in the first place when everything else is in color is beyond me.

Quote:
Deep function improvements. It would be helpful if these improvements were published in detail.
Dido. But, at least something is listed. iView & Homeworx needs to do the same.

post #2085 of 2358 Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Changing the default color/picture setting based on user inputs
I wondered what this meant at first. Then I realized that the default picture settings for Tuner1 and Tuner2 have been changed to the settings recommended by videobruce in posting 1841. The default brightness is 16, contrast is 65, and color is -5 for each input. The new default settings do not extend to the recording playback menu. The original unrealistic picture settings are still there.
This was attempted two summers ago, but it was reported it caused problems, so it never surfaced. They gave up on it and I believe it scared them away from making other much needed changes. They didn't want to spend time when it caused other issues.

This change was not evident as it was one of the first things I looked for along with the change in the Guide. The settings were the same. I will have to do a full reset and note the settings. I assume this is due to slightly different firmware versions.

The settings for playback are separate from the tuner. That situation was described in post 8.

post #2086 of 2358 Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I did see any change for VRX2.243.25.43 and VRX2.243.25.43RC other than the pay guide was gone.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburs View Post

Report on the Updated Features of the New Version VRX2.243.25.43 Firmware for PHD-VRX2.

post #2087 of 2358 Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You mean didn't see didn't you? wink.gif

post #2088 of 2358 Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburs View Post

Other improvements

I am sure someone is going to ask about the gray horizontal bar across the bottom of the screen. My Sony Bravia 42-inch HDTV is too small to be affected, so I do not know if this firmware version made the bar go away.

Eric

Reportedly, the bar only appears on some monitors. (And of course only when using 1080p mode.) So to confirm a fix, you'd need a monitor which reveals the bug on the original VRX2 firmware, but not on the latest firmware update.

Since the original VRX has a similar bug (except the bar is black instead of gray), perhaps HD1080P24 can confirm (or disconfirm) a fix when the same firmware update is released for that model.
post #2089 of 2358 Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Is that a full size HDD? If so, then it has to have a separate supply unlike a laptop 2 1/2" drive.

Yes, the WD 2TB Elements has a separate power supply (mentioned in Post # 2079)
post #2090 of 2358 Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I installed the latest firmware update for the original PHD-VRX (VRX 243.25.43.RC1). The half-inch black horizontal bar is still visible at the bottom of the screen when in 1080P mode. So that issue has not been fixed yet (hopefully it will be fixed in the future).

The ability to turn off the front LCD display on the PHD-VRX is a nice feature added in the menu. Also the latest VRX 243.25.43.RC1 firmware for the PHD-VRX allows consumers to use a 3rd party electronic program guide, one just needs to enter the user name and password of the subscription program guide.

PHD_VRX_firmware-VRX_243_25_43_RC1.zip
post #2091 of 2358 Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

There is also a new firmware update for the new PHD-VRX2:

PHD_VRX2_firmware-VRX2_243_25_43_RC2.zip
post #2092 of 2358 Old 02-18-2014, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Also the latest VRX 243.25.43.RC1 firmware for the PHD-VRX allows consumers to use a 3rd party electronic program guide
HDTV1080P24; You haven't been reading, that is a dead issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/1980#post_24227067

post #2093 of 2358 Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

HDTV1080P24; You haven't been reading, that is a dead issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/1980#post_24227067

If it’s a dead issue then why does the latest PHD-VRX firmware have an option to use a 3rd party guide in the menu with a user name and password field? I did not try the 3rd party guide to see if it works.
So it sounds like you are saying that even though the latest firmware update has a 3rd party electronic program guide option, if one enters the user name and password, the 3rd party guide will not work? Why did they even add the feature in the firmware update if it does not work?
post #2094 of 2358 Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The quote in that post pretty much says it all, don't you think?
He talked about this for over 2 years, one would think he would have the mind to contact them first and discuss things first.

That version you listed was pulled from their main site. I don't know why it wasn't pulled from the FTP site.

post #2095 of 2358 Old 02-18-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

That version you listed was pulled from their main site. I don't know why it wasn't pulled from the FTP site..

Sure you do: ePVision is incompetent. You should know this better than most by now. biggrin.gif Even if you download the orphaned firmware that has SchedulesDirect support, you may be risking your SD account by using it, as it's against the SD ToS. Hopefully ePVision will notice and pull the remaining firmware versions that have guide support at some point.
post #2096 of 2358 Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

The firmware I am talking about is for the PHD-VRX and not the PHD-VRX2. Just recently EpVision did a firmware update to the PHD-VRX so that it has a 3rd party guide information just like the PHD-VRX2. Maybe EpVision worked out the legal issues with the 3rd party guide. We never had this feature before on the PHD-VRX, this was a feature only found on the new PHD-VRX2.

One might want to download the latest PHD-VRX and PHD-VRX2 firmware updates from the EpVision site just in case they made a mistake and added the 3rd party guide feature without official approval.The firmware could be pulled again.

I have no plans on using the 3rd party program guide anyways. Someone mentioned that there might be a free week trial. There is no detailed new feature instruction with the firmware updates, so for all I know they might have went with another program guide provider instead of the company they were using before.
post #2097 of 2358 Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No new version for the VRX has been posted on their main site, only for the VRX2.

post #2098 of 2358 Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 AM

I am a new owner of a VRX2, and I'm looking for a work around, or a fix, to a problem I have with it. I'm currently using cable (No cable box) for my connection. I signed up for Schedules Direct and set my line up for the locate cable company. Long story short I have a hand full of channels I can record, there HD and have odd numbers (ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,), but there not listed on the Schedules Direct locate cable company listing. So, I can't use the guide on the analog channels and it doesn't show up on my odd numbered digital channels (The ones I can record) . Is there a way to have my odd numbered digital channels show up on my Schedules Direct guide or somehow adjust the VRX2? I tried to find out if there was a way at Schedules Direct, couldn't find a solution, I searched this forum, couldn't find solution (other then setup my own software and listing which is a bit outta my realm). Thank You for your time
post #2099 of 2358 Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Depending on your MSO (Cable TV Operator), the 'in the clear' stations may display as the actual physical channel number in the system, and/or the virtual OTA channel number.
Assuming there is no ability to edit the channel numbers through SD, you will have to type up a 'cheat sheet' with both numbers for each station.

You understand that the analog channels can not be recorded, don't you?

post #2100 of 2358 Old 02-23-2014, 02:57 PM

Yes VideoBruce I'm very much aware of the fact that the VRX2 does NOT record analog. That's why I kept stating the ones I can record. My point was, with cable, what's the purpose of the guide if you can't use it on analog (which you can't record) and the odd numbered digital stations (which you can record) not showing up on SD. Why paid for something you can't use (unless you use it for OTA). That's why I thought there must be something I'm missing.

V/R
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page