AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread

HDTV Recorders

Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives
03:18 PM Liked: 437
post #2101 of 2361
02-23-2014 | Posts: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaultwatcher View Post

That's why I thought there must be something I'm missing.

What you're missing is that ePVision added support for SchedulesDirect without getting their permission or even consulting them about it, so the integration is probably substandard compared to a product that has SD's blessing. Furthermore, you're actually violating SD's TOS by using it with the VRX2, because the SD guide is only licensed for use with PVR freeware. Some of the SD-compatible firmware versions got pulled by ePVision after SD called them out on it, but other versions still seem to be available, so your confusion is warranted.

Be careful that you don't ask for help from SD directly, or they might terminate your membership for violating the TOS. I'm not sure how they handle such situations, as this is really ePVision's fault, not that of the person who unwittingly buys a VRX2 thinking that he can get a decent paid guide with it. frown.gif
videobruce's Avatar videobruce
04:37 AM Liked: 170
post #2102 of 2361
02-24-2014 | Posts: 15,488
The incompatibility between physical and virtual channel numbers especially when it comes to "Guides' is and will be a problem. It's a complex problem, partly blamable to the FCC at least for the OTA situation. Cable TV is another matter since that is strictly withing the MSO's domain.
As far as SD, you will have to talk to them about that since it doesn't really have to do with this or any other DVR/tuner. If they have no ability to re-number channels, there isn't much that can done. The mighty TiVo has the same issue with QAM stations.
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt
02:31 PM Liked: 209
post #2103 of 2361
02-24-2014 | Posts: 1,996
Technical description: Cable systems occasionally move digital stations around to different RF channels, but they don't want their end-users' channel numbers to change whenever they do so. Thus, they assign virtual channel numbers to the stations, and those virtual numbers are the ones a subscriber using a cable box will see. Schedule providers like S.D. only provide the virtual channel numbers since they are more stable than RF channel numbers.

Over-the-air stations do the same thing, but cable systems use a different RF-to-virtual channel mapping system than OTA stations. The PHD-VRX[2] only understands the OTA mapping system (part of PSIP), but most cable systems don't provide PSIP. That's why your PHD-VRX[2] shows odd channel numbers when used on cable systems, and it's also why they don't match up with the S.D. channel numbers. (It's also why the PHD-VRX[2] has no guide at all on cable without S.D. The "free" guide is another part of PSIP.)

BTW, these problems aren't unique to the PHD-VRX[2]. Most clear QAM tuners (for unencrypted cable) have the same issues with odd channel numbers and no guide info. That's why most cable users stick with their cable company's equipment (unless they're lucky enough to own CableCARD-compatible equipment).

I believe ePVision only intended the S.D. guide to be used with OTA stations, not cable. There were comments to that effect in their setup instructions. But as you discovered, the S.D. guide will work with analog cable stations (although the PHD-VRX[2] doesn't have the capability to record them) since there is no RF-to-virtual mapping with analog.

But of course, it's all academic since S.D. support has been pulled from the PHD-VRX[2] anyway, due to not adhering to S.D.'s terms of service.
RamKat's Avatar RamKat
07:38 PM Liked: 10
post #2104 of 2361
02-27-2014 | Posts: 94
Finally got the man cave going (at least sort of) so I moved the VRX down to fulfill it's original intent of being the OTA TV tuner/DVR for the projector setup. I had not used the VRX for months and before powering it down I noticed that it was stuck on one of the channels. So I recycled the power and it got stuck in boot. As a last resort I flashed the latest available firmware and it is back up and running. (phew)

As everyone is aware the sound on the HDMI output is poor. Fortunately my receiver can map the optical audio to the HDMI input and the sound is notably better. Getting smooth 5.1 on the channels that do provide it. (an earlier poster complained about the quality of the AC3 signal) The lockup when hooking the VRX to my home LAN is still there though, so that option is out the door.

Not exactly the product that I was originally hoping for but it allowed us to watch the gold medal hockey game live on the big screen and that was enjoyed by all hockey fans in the family.
04:17 AM Liked: 170
post #2105 of 2361
02-28-2014 | Posts: 15,488
None of these are without issues. problem is certain individuals refuse to see the negatives of their much worshiped TiVo including the v53 error message and a a six tuner model with only 4 working (for starters). rolleyes.gif
JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt
06:12 PM Liked: 209
post #2106 of 2361
03-02-2014 | Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

... a a six tuner model with only 4 working (for starters). rolleyes.gif
Sounds like one of IBM Corp.'s marketing tricks. If you buy a Power 720 (midrange computer), it comes with a 6-core processor - but you can only use 1 core unless/until you pay extra to "unlock" additional processor cores. (Luckily a single core is still a quite powerful 64-bit processor, so at least it's not useless as sold.)

Which proves the 6-core processor is cheap enough to manufacture and sell to everyone, and forcing you to pay extra to "unlock" additional cores is nothing but pure profit.

Great business model from their standpoint, but it's always rubbed me the wrong way.
04:04 AM Liked: 170
post #2107 of 2361
03-03-2014 | Posts: 15,488
From my reading, it's a firmware issue. Guess it wasn't tested very well along with the other quirks. So much for comments like "it works" that was made elsewhere. rolleyes.gif
docemc's Avatar docemc
10:52 PM Liked: 10
post #2108 of 2361
03-03-2014 | Posts: 60
My second DVR-pal seems to have died (again) so I set up my VRX2. It seems like a nice piece of equipment but is SO user unfriendly. I couldn't even get started because I didn't realize (they didn't tell me) that I had to press the exit button to get out of the station display. It seems to me that the basic function is to record and play off the air recordings and it should be easy to do this. This shows what happens when engineers design the operation of a device. The remote if miserable and everything about the system is completely unintuitive. When I got my DVR-pal I was able to immediately do everything. I could tolerate its bugs because of its ease of use. Couldn't someone bring it back
, PLEASE
docemc's Avatar docemc
10:53 PM Liked: 10
post #2109 of 2361
03-03-2014 | Posts: 60
FORGOT THE NOTIFICATION
LenL's Avatar LenL
06:22 AM Liked: 133
post #2110 of 2361
03-04-2014 | Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by docemc View Post

My second DVR-pal seems to have died (again) so I set up my VRX2. It seems like a nice piece of equipment but is SO user unfriendly. I couldn't even get started because I didn't realize (they didn't tell me) that I had to press the exit button to get out of the station display. It seems to me that the basic function is to record and play off the air recordings and it should be easy to do this. This shows what happens when engineers design the operation of a device. The remote if miserable and everything about the system is completely unintuitive. When I got my DVR-pal I was able to immediately do everything. I could tolerate its bugs because of its ease of use. Couldn't someone bring it back
, PLEASE

Welcome to the club. I own 2 PALDVRS and when one died (I then later sent it to be fixed which it was) I bought a VRX and was totally blown off by how quirky and complicated it was compared to the PALDVR. It was NOT designed by anyone having a clue. I later sold it and got 2 IVews (which were immensely cheaper and more functional) to use to supplement my 2 PALDVRS which I shut down and put on vacation when the reruns come on.
01:40 PM Liked: 170
post #2111 of 2361
03-04-2014 | Posts: 15,488
Quote:
I couldn't even get started because I didn't realize (they didn't tell me) that I had to press the exit button to get out of the station display.
You didn't think to use the exit to 'exit' a menu or on screen display?? confused.gif
docemc's Avatar docemc
11:54 AM Liked: 10
post #2112 of 2361
03-07-2014 | Posts: 60
RE: In addition, my problem with low volume also disappeared with the introduction of the bitstream pass-thru option for HDMI output. I no longer have to crank up the volume on the TV.

Please explain this, I have the volume set at the highest level on my TV and the volume is lower that the TV alone
docemc's Avatar docemc
12:05 PM Liked: 10
post #2113 of 2361
No; they said to follow the online instructions and I foolishly believed them. Why would I search their crumby remote to try to find an exit button. These guys know nothing about how to design a user interface or how to write clear instructions. Even the instructions for their firmware update were wrong. They should consult the guys who designed the dVR-pal; it could be used, right out of the box by a simpleton
docemc's Avatar docemc
12:09 PM Liked: 10
post #2114 of 2361
One of my two Pals came back to life; is the iview a substitute? I can't find it onling
LenL's Avatar LenL
07:26 AM Liked: 133
post #2115 of 2361
03-08-2014 | Posts: 1,564
Quote:

One of my two Pals came back to life; is the iview a substitute? I can't find it onling

You are not exactly on the right site to discuss IVIEWS. Go to the IVIEW forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread

When one of my PALDVRS died I bought a VRX with 2 tuners for $200 to replace it and did not like it. I later bought 2 IVIEWS with one tuner in each at less than $40 each and liked them better. You have even more choices now with the CM DVR+ which is about $250 with 2 tuners and probably features you would like. Go to that forum for more info.

VIdeoBruce has a forum that reviews DVRs you should look at it...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/2014-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs/60
02:21 PM Liked: 170
post #2116 of 2361
03-08-2014 | Posts: 15,488
Revised known "list of concerns" based on the current VRX2 firmware;

Other than the HDMI audio fix, I'm not aware of any other changes. If so, please post corrections to this list.

(Separated into hardware & firmware, in order of importance. Similar items are grouped together.)

Hardware concerns;

A. Add the missing component out to where it was original designed to go. Older TV's may not have HDMI inputs, newer low end TV's never have enough HDMI inputs for multiple devices. Component could solve those shortcomings. You did the R&D, adding that can't cost more than a couple of dollars at the manufacturing level.
B. Add a front panel USB port.
C. Remove the VGA input and add two HDMI inputs. VGA is old school, Using a DVI to HDMI adapter cable would allow most PC's to be connected,
D. Add power switch to rear panel so pulling the plug isn't necessary,

Firmware concerns;

The Guide:
1a. The Guide needs to include both tuners integrated together as one Guide no matter which input you are in. It's a real problem and inconvenience to have to switch back and forth between tuners to try to schedule programming. Especially if you have overlapping recordings.
1b. Adding the ability to switch tuners within the Guide really doesn't help since you are still switching between Guides. Many times the data in the right pane is not the channel that is in the left pane when you switch. You have to scroll to another channel and return. Lastly, the switching time isn't any faster if you were to exit, switch tuners, then enter the Guide again.
1c. Locking the preview window (EPG on/off) to speed up the display of data prevents data from showing on any channel that has not been previously accessed from standby. If you 'surf' through all channels before you enter the Guide, there isn't problem. Rename that “EPG Tuning Mode” to “Lock the preview window”
1d. Stopping on a weak station that is not receivable at the time, will lock the Guide up, forcing you to exit and re-enter. These are 'on the cliff' signals. Channels that are not there at all, have no effect if you stop on those.
1e. No ability for the system to save the existing PSIP data for each station in the Guide. After you stop on that channel, continue, then return, the data has to re-loaded every time on every channel.
1f. No indication of previously scheduled programs to record in the Guide. This may not be possible,
1g. No direct ability to cancel a upcoming recording made through the Guide, unless you do it in the Upcoming Recordings screen,
1h. The 'reading' of program data appears to provide less listings compared to other PSIP 'Guides'. Example; Comparing to a older DTVPal on the same stations at the same time, the DTVPal (with no TV Guide data) has their listings further into the future.
1i. Add the ability to 'wrap' from the lowest channel to the highest & vice versa without scrolling through the entire channel list as you can in Media Player.
1j. Access to a website (like it is with You Tube) that has program listings for convenience to manually schedule a recording. PSIP Guide data is unreliable, spotty and inconsistent if it is there at all. What good are three to six hours of listings? Anything less than one full week shouldn't be acceptable in this day and age.

Image quality: (2c may be hardware related)
2a. Gray horizontal bar across the bottom half of the screen when using 1080p out with the new "2" models.
2b. The default output of this DVR is very dark with saturated highlights when in the Media Player, thought it was corrected in the tuner mode. The default brightness needs to increased to between 16, contrast reduced to 65 & color reduced to -5 for each input. These shouldn't be that far off in the first place.
2c. False contouring in blacks, shadows, dark scenes. This has been confirmed. Especially noticeable anywhere there are shadows and/or dark clothing, especially mens suits. The default dark, contrasty video settings appear to hide this problem. After extended testing, it now appears this Broadcom/ATI chipset is sensitive to lower bitrates. A difference of only 3MB/s will cause noticing the false contouring. I have compared the same program from two different sources (stations & networks) and the station (source) that had the higher bitrate didn't have the problem. Not all programming is affected. This affects recordings played outside of the DVR and effects less than 20% of the recordings.

Manual Recording:
3a. Add the ability for a multi-event, manual recording option allowing entering more than one recording at a time without re-entering the Manual Record mode again,
3b. Manual record duration; 1. When changing to less than one hour, make the default 30 minutes instead of five. 2. Unable to enter numbers 1-4 to change minutes. 5–0 work Ok. Only way to do so now is toggling up or down one at a time.
3c. In the Guide; add the ability to delay (add) to the start time and allow the end time to finish early (subtract). Programs do start early and end early also.
3d. Add the ability to rename a manual recording when it is scheduled instead of just afterwards,
3e. Remove that “Active” check box in the new “Record Schedule Timer”. That is available in the schedule screen if one wants to skip recording for a week. You don't schedule a recording not to record.
3f. Modifying a recording in the "Upcoming Recording" menu will not show any time changes in the recording list when you 'pad' the start and/or end time of a program. It then appears no change was made.
3g. Change weekly icon to “W”, change “Once” icon to “O”, remove Sat & Sunday entry. I see no need for that.
3h. Unable to schedule a manual recording using the inactive tuner. If you are on tuner one, any stations on tuner two can not be setup to record.

Menu layout:
4a. The plain text that was added under those cutesy icons does help, but the font is too small. Move the text over of each sub-category in a slightly smaller font, replacing the associated icon. The GUI in their Media Switcher was better. It appeared that was easier to navigate.
4b.
Reduce the number of entries in the main menu and each sub menu so there are six or less, allowing all to show on the screen at once, eliminating scrolling to find a hidden entry. Specifically;
4c. Move the main “Locks” entry to “Settings” reducing the sub menu entries down to six,
4d. Change “Dynamic Contrast” to “Gamma” and move it to “Picture Settings”, then delete the “Advanced” entry under “Picture”,
4e. Under “Record”, combine the three USB entries into a single sub menu,
4f. Under Media Player/Recordings, move Forward Skip & Backward Skip into a single group,
4g. Under “Picture Settings”, remove “Color Temperature” since it has no effect,
4h. Quick menu; replace Scale Window with a added “Aspect” control. Scale Window is only for specific situations,
4i. In the “Picture” sub-menu, once you selected a item, you can't scroll up or down to the next item to adjust without returning to the previous screen. Change the behavior to the way it is in the Quick menu so all show in a small window,
4j. Add “V Mode”, which should be re-named to “Resolution out” (or similar) to both the Quick Menu & under “Picture Settings” since it is only available from the remote,
4k. Remove the "Presets" entry. There are too many choices in the first place, some do little to change the actual settings. Each input has it's own memory settings anyway, it's not needed,
4m. Hide 'Wireless Settings” since this is not enabled,
4l. Re-enable the highest analog channel noise reduction setting that was removed.
4n. Rename "Picture" to “Video” in the Main Menu. Picture is a non technical, childish term. "Audio" is used instead of 'Sound', why not 'Video' instead of “Picture”.

Audio: (these probably are hardware related)
5a. Audio controls have no effect on analog or optical outputs. Only HDMI is affected. Specify this in the manual.
5b. There is no audio at all when the timeshifting mode is activated. Only when you are watching the delayed portion of the recording is there audio. There is audio on the HDMI output. (was this fixed??)

6. Nothing preventing you to place the DVR in standby to prevent stopping a recording in progress. You will loose the recording if standby is pressed accidentally. Some confirmation is needed.

Media Player:
7a. If you are watching a previously recorded program in Media Player, if this goes into recording mode for a scheduled recording, there is no response from user input except to shut the unit down. Thanks to LenL for this,
7b. Pressing 'Exit' while in Media Player will completely exit you out of MP while watching a recording. Exiting out of MP should only be permitted while in the main menu. Use of the Exit otherwise should take you back to the Main Menu,
7c. Shorten the manual recording file name in Media Player by removing the seconds and changing the year to two digits. It's too hard to read with those extra unnecessary digits,
7d. Include channel number, date & time to the recording entry under the new "Recordings" screen. What happens if there are more than one of the same program listed?
7e. Media Player/Recordings; When you use the skip feature, the time bar remains on the screen to long. Reduce the duration from 8 to 4 seconds and/or provide selectable times,
7f. While playing back recordings, the right & left navigation buttons will change what you are watching to the next or previous recording without any other interaction. If pressed by mistake, you are now watching something else. This needs to be disabled, except for Photos or Music. (only relates to Recordings)
7g. The "Video" section in MP still has the issue of not remembering where you left off when you stop playback and not remembering changed picture settings.
7h. Use skip fwd & back to move through the pages instead of channel up/down like it is in all other menu functions where this is used. Consistent and less confusing.
7i. Don't allow using 'Mute' to automatically bring up Closed Caption. If CC is wanted, there is a dedicated button for this.
7j. Apparent problem with running PC server software interfacing this, locking up the DVR forcing a power cycle,
7k. Change "Movie" to "Recording" in the delete confirmation box.
7l. In photo slide show when music is selected, only the 1st selection plays, no others,
7m. Interval seconds amount is off by several seconds: 3 sec. is actually 7, 5 sec. is 10, 10 sec. is 15,
7n.There is a four second delay in changing photos when either navigation key is pressed.

Tuner:
8a. Slow channel changing, especially considering this DVR does not do continuous time shifting. How can this be improved? (This may be hardware related)
8b. Improve the signal level display to expand the resolution of the reading by using similar to the System Info screen that has a 0-100 numeric readout.
8c. Ability to manual edit the channel number (along with the stations call letters) for entries that get a bad channel number from improperly ID'ing the virtual channel number from the actual physical number.
8d. Add ability to save the channel tables separately when doing firmware updates so you don't have to do a re-scan,
8e. You can not record on tuner one if you are using one of the inputs to the switcher. ??

9. There is no clock backup if there is a power outage.

Standby & spin down:
10a. An external enclosed hard drive does not spin down when the DVR is on and no recording is scheduled, only when in standby. This was changed from early firmware releases. Why have it run when it is only being used as a tuner with the HDD connected? (Yes, you can disconnect the drive, but you shouldn't have to.)
10b. After three or more consecutive recordings are finished or recordings over 90 minutes in length (approximately), the DVR does not go back into standby. Single recordings or two short recordings back to back will allow Standby two minutes after the last timer recording is finished.
10c. Timer recordings from standby loose the 1st 45 seconds of the program due to the boot time if the recorder was in standby. Power on should start one minute early so the recorder is up and running.

11. No 480p or 1080i for older HDTV's w/o a 1080p input. 480p was removed from the early firmware. Some TV's have limited aspect options with some resolutions. Sometimes the 480 choice works out better. This should be restored.

Aspect choices:
12a. There are too many 'Aspect' choices. Direct appears to be the proper setting for probably 95% of the material available without distorting the image just to fill the screen.
12b. Normal has 1:1 pixel mapping (no over scan), Direct does has over scan. Swap names between both,
12c. For analog & SD channels; Normal, Direct & 4:3 are identical. For HD channels; Direct & Full Screen are identical.
12d. 4:3 will 'narrow' a HD channel. I can't see any need for this. Since it is the same as normal, remove it.
12e. 'Panoramic' disproportionately stretches the screen, mostly the extreme edges. Remove that.
12f. 'Zoom1' is Ok for proportionally expanding a 'postage stamp' image, but 'Zoom2' over stretches the image vertically & horizontally. Remove that.

Front panel display:
13a. The display on the unit will not show a channel change entry until that channel is actually changed. It would be nicer if the entry on the unit would duplicate what is seen on-screen, especially if you have "music only" CATV channels available and are using the tuner as a source for your audio system without a TV on.
13b. Changing the display from orange to red isn't any improvement. Red is old school, how about blue?

HDD utility:
14a. Add the ability to initialize a bare drive. The Internal disc format utility can only be used with a drive that is already initialized, which leaves out "bare" drives. The owners manual makes no mention of this. It isn't a problem with these pre-packaged combo enclosures & drives, but it is with any bare drive. Separate components are always better than some pre-configured package. You have control over each item. ePVision doesn't seem to grasp this.
14b. Add a progress bar to let one know where in the formatting is, also a timer to show how long it's been since the process started.

You Tube;
15a. Add USB support for a keyboard to make it easier to search U Tube. Trying to use the on screen keyboard gets old real quick.
15b. The aspect control has no effect in You Tube. If you try to watch a 16x9 clip, it is squeezed down to 4x3 instead of displaying full width.
15c. U Tube can not be used when recording. Accessing U Tube will stop all recordings.

16a. Speed play is of no value as it stands due to inter-reaction with the audio sampling when using AC3. Using PCM, the problem isn't as bad. Mostly noticeable in FF. The sample rate is to low, making the feature worthless. You can't see enough frames to make any sense out of the video. Adding faster speed steps makes matters worse. This surely wasn't needed.
16b. If a recorded program is paused during playback, the video freezes but the audio continues playing for an additional 5 seconds. This happens when AC3 is in use. When the video stream is resumed by hitting play, there is no audio until the video "catches up" to the point where the audio originally paused (another 5 seconds). The HDMI output behaves normally.

17. Timeshift; Duplicate use of the skip fwd. & back function for slow motion is confusing. Substitute the Fwd & Rwd buttons instead and leave the skip & back functions as is.

18. Trying to record and use the USB speed test causes conflicts. Disallow testing while recording. The speed test also is depending on the state the device is in at the time. Sitting on a blank channel produces better results.

19a. The "Lock" feature can cause issues if one forgets the pin number: (This can be overridden just by unplugging the DVR and powering back),
19b. Doing a factory reset doesn't restore access to the front panel buttons.
docemc's Avatar docemc
02:30 PM Liked: 10
post #2117 of 2361
03-08-2014 | Posts: 60
I have literally spent hours setting up, learning to use, and documenting the problems with this machine. From a users point of view, it is a piece of ****. They should have sent someone to http://*******.com/mk3e2xv to study human engineering. My DVR-PAL has come to life again; it is not nearly as sophisticated as the PHD-VRX2 but it does the job of setting up and recording on two tuners beautifully. It had bugs but most (but not all) were eliminated. I can live with the few remaining. Isn't this the reason for having a DVR? I don't know why it was discontinued; I bought three, two for me and one for a friend. One has died irretrievably and the others come and go If anyone would like to sell one or two, contact me. Someone is selling a new one for twice the original price.

I just went to my PAL (which I am afraid to turn off).

I press DVR and I get a choice of recordings or daily schedule
For daily schedule , I get a list of the first five upcoming in
big letters with options at the right
for recording, I get a list of the first five recordings in big
letters with options at right
In both cases, I can scroll down or page down and it does it
immediately

I press the guide button and I get four stations at left and
three times at right and I need only press select to watch or set
recording. Again I can easily scroll

I can press the DVR button at any time, I don't have to press an
exit buttion

This is SO intuitive that anyone can do it without reading a
manual. Compare this to the PHD-VRX2 or other DVRs
----

A partial list of problems

1. The program guide is terrible; one would like to see a number
of stations at once for the next few hours as in the TVpal..
This alone disqualifies this unit for me.

2. In the upcoming recording schedule you should be able to edit
EVERYTHING
The programs should be in order of date, even with programs that
are recorded every day. One wants to see EVERYTHING that is
being recorded the current day

3. When time shift is turned on, it should be automatic and
initialize when the channel is changed but not when a second
program starts recording; you should be able to timeshift on
both channels at the same time. It shouldn't stop when you
change tuners; it should restart You can watch the timeshift
from the start at video but there seems no way to save it. After
the time shift stops, only 15 seconds is saved on the timeshift
file even though the setting is 120 minutes

4. You should be able to more easily watch the program that is
being recorded FROM THE START. It should be in the the RECORD
screen when it is recording. This can be done through the MEDIA
player now. Watching on video doesn't save position when you
exit. How do you delete a file on video. There is a file that
doesn't show up on recorded TV

5. New firmward should no destory upcoming recordings

6. 28 schedule events not enough; there should be at least 50

DVR recording and playback should be most prominent and should
use simple menu for this rather than separate keys like dvr-pal

The record screen should show the day and date of the recordings
spelled out

On the guide screen, there is no need to show the picture for
future programs. It makes it to slow to move down channels. It
would be far better to show the programs for several channels at
the same time as is done for the DVR-pal. It should show the day
of the week as well as date

In the Guide menu you should press OK rather than REC to select a
program to record

It would be good if you had the option to have only one input for
the two tuners and have the recording go from to the available
tuner

Turning off the machine should not stop the program, there
should be an option to allow recording to proceed or to save the
current recordings

For timeshifting, you should be able to start recording the whole
program

A work in progress
GuruSR's Avatar GuruSR
12:27 PM Liked: 11
post #2118 of 2361
03-09-2014 | Posts: 21
Recently, Feb 9, 2014, I was rather not shocked that my PHD-VRX2 has no knowledge of the New York DST dates that differ from regular EST DST. I know someone with the version 1 and it too has no knowledge of New York's DST change (December 2007) from EST DST. I tried ePvision's "sales" email to no avail, as they don't believe New York's DST dates differ from EST DST dates. With this issue unresolved, 8 weeks a year, guide programming fails for New York and Ontario Canada. Manual recording and manual clock setting are your only choices and the clock cannot be automatically set by any of the means available.

For those wanting better usb drives, SSDs in an unpowered (USB only) case will be your best bet for heat, power usage and speed.

GuruSR.
04:16 PM Liked: 437
post #2119 of 2361
03-09-2014 | Posts: 3,084
What are you talking about? The entire United States added an extra month to DST starting in 2007, but most other countries continue to use the old April/October dates. Does New York do something differently?
GuruSR's Avatar GuruSR
04:46 PM Liked: 11
post #2120 of 2361
New York and Ontario Canada jumped into DST on March 9, not February 9 the VHD's switched at.

Google "New York DST dates", the standard EST DST is Feb and Oct, New York & Ontario are Mar and Nov. My Panasonic PVR has a New York time zone with the correct weeks. Is it too much to ask that all US time zones are correctly honored? Apparently it is...

GuruSR.
05:02 PM Liked: 437
post #2121 of 2361
03-09-2014 | Posts: 3,084
New York doesn't have a special DST date, then, as the entire US switched to DST on March 9 (except for the areas that don't observe DST at all). The DST transition has never happened as early as February, so we can add incorrect DST handling to the long list of problems the VRX has. frown.gif
GuruSR's Avatar GuruSR
05:16 PM Liked: 11
post #2122 of 2361
My Samsung 6k Series LED HD TV also has the same DST dates as the VHD's, so they got the values from the same source.

GuruSR.
12:40 PM Liked: 170
post #2123 of 2361
03-10-2014 | Posts: 15,488
Minor issue 2x a year, but is it a problem with a manual time set?
docemc's Avatar docemc
12:58 PM Liked: 10
post #2124 of 2361
03-10-2014 | Posts: 60
some of my stuff didn't get recorded and i'm on eastern
GuruSR's Avatar GuruSR
01:38 PM Liked: 11
post #2125 of 2361
03-10-2014 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Minor issue 2x a year, but is it a problem with a manual time set?

As far as I know, ATSC EPG doesn't account for time zones, usually the time is based on GMT +0.  (I may be wrong on this, but most of the online ones are that way.  I'd have to read up on the specs for it to be certain.)

The guide in the units *IS* affected by DST changes in the time zone even *IF* you tell it you don't observe it (like I am right now).

My unit is:  Manual time set, manual recording (the guide is a big waste of space).  If the unit says the time is 8pm, the guide shows 9pm (and the current show on at 8pm).

On Sunday (March 9), I manually moved the unit's clock forward (DST observation setting is still off).  So people in a time zone that may/may not use DST, will find the guide does, completely ignoring their DST observation setting.

From February 9 to March 9, the guide was 1 hour ahead the unit's clock (because it jumped forward Feb 9 along with my "brain dead" Samsung 6k Series HD LED TV, Samsung says there isn't a fix either, I said, "Thanks for using wrong DST values in a 2 year old TV, not like you didn't have a few years to get it right.").  Feb 9 to March 9, I had to have DST observation off (what ePVision said to do in an email), in doing so, no guide programming would work at all (it showed as "to be recorded" even in the EPG listing for the channel), no recordings worked, all ignored.  Now, since March 9, the guide is behind 1 hour with the manual time set ahead 1 hour.  The guide is worthless until I allow it to properly set the time and DST, but that will only be good until October (when I know it'll swap back, as the 1st unit version did for a friend).  Now without knowing 100% if the EPG does include time zone information (over the air one, not something else), I can't tell if they've trashed their thinking on how to properly do the guide.  I *do* know my ATSC tuner on this PC has absolutely no issues with time zone changes with it's OTA EPG, using the proper time zone & DST dates.  My thought is, they botched the entire EPG and DST dates.

Current recommendation for anyone in EST with this unit:  No guide programming, turn off all of the auto-clock updates, DST observation set to OFF, manually set the time and manually set recordings.  They work 100% this way, any other way, you could be in for a headache if the station you're watching might provide their local time to the unit, which could throw it out of the time zone you're in.

Hmm, I think a good slogan for this would be, "If all else fails, go manual!"

I snapped a picture of my TV showing Mr Ed at 3:30PM (2.3), the "Info" shows Mr. Ed at 2:30PM...

EDIT:  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzSUGvgLg631b2YwTk1pQU1uWnM/edit?pli=1

GuruSR.

docemc's Avatar docemc
02:01 PM Liked: 10
post #2126 of 2361
re:
Current recommendation for anyone in EST with this unit: No guide programming, turn off all of the auto-clock updates, DST observation set to OFF, manually set the time and manually set recordings. They work 100% this way, any other way, you could be in for a headache if the station you're watching might provide their local time to the unit, which could throw it out of the time zone you're in.
--
Why buy this if you don't have a program guide. The real problem is their ****ed up miserable interface. The number one problem with using the program guide is that the upcoming programs are NOT listed in order if you have programs recorded daily.. DST works the day after the change. Manual set is fine if you know what you want but how do you know what you want. I think I have finally figured out how to use this god-damn machine; I'd gladly trade it for the beautifully designed DVR-PAL If you record manually, you can't get the right time. If you use the program guide and hit record, it will finish the program

Of course there are no decent instructions; I will write something based on my experience and post it
GuruSR's Avatar GuruSR
02:26 PM Liked: 11
post #2127 of 2361
03-10-2014 | Posts: 21
Quote:

re:
Current recommendation for anyone in EST with this unit: No guide programming, turn off all of the auto-clock updates, DST observation set to OFF, manually set the time and manually set recordings. They work 100% this way, any other way, you could be in for a headache if the station you're watching might provide their local time to the unit, which could throw it out of the time zone you're in.
--
Why buy this if you don't have a program guide. The real problem is their ****ed up miserable interface. The number one problem with using the program guide is that the upcoming programs are NOT listed in order if you have programs recorded daily.. DST works the day after the change. Manual set is fine if you know what you want but how do you know what you want. I think I have finally figured out how to use this god-damn machine; I'd gladly trade it for the beautifully designed DVR-PAL If you record manually, you can't get the right time. If you use the program guide and hit record, it will finish the program

Of course there are no decent instructions; I will write something based on my experience and post it

Well, simply put, in Ontario Canada, unless you want to pay the 2 major media companies (Rogers or Bell, there *ARE* no others, they own the rest of the "competition"), you're stuck with OTA (wouldn't say that is a bad thing, been OTA since it became a reality in B&W days).  Now, recording OTA requires one of two things, a PC (~600-700 for a decent 4 tuner setup) or a recorder capable of doing so.  Well, our Panasonic DVD-RAM PVRs (we had 3) are dying (we've lost 2 in the past year to U99 errors [means it's a brick]) and at $350 to fix it, this was cheaper.

I was *hoping* to not buy the unit but build a HTPC to actually fit into the cabinet under the TV and function without headaches, but, sadly, at double the cost of the unit for 3 tuners (since we had 3 PVRs), how fast our second PVR died (mid-season), I didn't have the time to buy the necessary components (US suppliers only for HTPC products), I decided to buy this unit, as a means of not "breaking the bank on a PC that will sit and do nothing half the time".  Arguably, the HTPC alternatives, also have people griping about the interfaces, so you could say it's a "crap shoot" (literally).

As for recording manually, I actually have an Android phone and tablet.  A free app called "i.TV" will give me a scrollable EPG for OTA and I can schedule shows from that, plus it usually goes 2 weeks ahead.  So programming without the guide is as easy as it was with a VCR (remember those old tape munchers?) and a paper TV Guide book.

But, the recorder doesn't crash nearly as bad as the DVD-RAM PVRs we had, it's on an APC (like I wouldn't, it's basically a small PC in a box).  A suggestion over and above the power switch on the back (since that may be a bit harder to do), a hidden flip-open compartment with a USB port and a pen sized hard-reset button (our DVD-RAM PVRs have this setup and it works well).  One other recommendation, use a watchdog thread to watch the video on all active tuners, on the original 1st version and mine (the second), I've seen the tuners *partially* crash (audio works, video stuck on 1 frame).  Power cycling seemed to work for the first version, but since there is no power button, the power chord was yanked to do the same thing (hence that nice reset button up front or at least a watchdog thread to monitor the tuner's video sync).

While I'm at it, the "Medial Player" window says "Record" (umm, why?) and the lovely "dead" clock in the upper right corner (if you're not going to update it, just remove it).

GuruSR.

04:27 PM Liked: 170
post #2128 of 2361
03-10-2014 | Posts: 15,488
Quote:
Why buy this if you don't have a program guide.
The data in the guide is no better nor worse than any other guide that uses PSIP station data. You are at the mercy of those stations desire to update their listings.
If you want a full guide, you have to pay for it.
docemc's Avatar docemc
06:28 PM Liked: 10
post #2129 of 2361
Re: While I'm at it, the "Medial Player" window says "Record" (umm, why?) and the lovely "dead" clock in the upper right corner (if you're not going to update it, just remove it).

GuruSR.

Ah yes; I have noted that it says RECORD instead of recordings but I had not noticed that the time does not change. Incidentally, you can watch the current recording on the media player but it doesn't save position

I set up a bunch of recordings that I had on my DVR-PA L(with a great deal of effort) and JOY, everything recorded. I figured out how to delete channels and then discovered I had to do it on BOTH tuners. Does anyone really need separate tuner inputs? I have the impression that there are a lot of DVRs for cable but nothing for OTA until the sadly defunct PVS-PAL
docemc's Avatar docemc
07:04 PM Liked: 10
post #2130 of 2361
I'm perfectly happy with the guide; it's the display I'm unhappy with. I've even been willing to put up with the fact that the DVR-pal clock is 3 minutes slow
Tags: Epvision Phd Vrx

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread