Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2161 of 2316 Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks for your responses!
I'm sorry to hear that this unit isn't for me (I'm not all that surprised, after reading the numerous negative reviews elsewhere).
I truly appreciate your input!
Oh, well......back to the drawing board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2316 Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 108
This is another case where if they were serious about selling a good product they would have put their programmers to work fixing all the software issues and then they would have a DVR worthy of recommending to others.
post #2163 of 2316 Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
It appears to be more of a issue of what they programmers can and can not do. Clearly the wrong SoC was picked. After all, it was designed for a TV. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2164 of 2316 Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

This is another case where if they were serious about selling a good product they would have put their programmers to work fixing all the software issues and then they would have a DVR worthy of recommending to others.

They sent me a replacement which worked for two days

I stop a recording; then I press REC but get distracted by
something. When I come back, the screen is blank and no buttons
are operative. the device say rEC. I press power off and then
on. It hangs on boot. after a while it flashes 720 and then
reboots and hangs. I pull out the plug and plug it in again
after five minutes. I press start and it hangs on boot. This is
similar with what happened with the first one.
post #2165 of 2316 Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Have you tried flashing back to the original firmware that was shipped with this?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2166 of 2316 Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Have you tried flashing back to the original firmware that was shipped with this?

Good idea; they didn't ship any firmware but I have the latest firmware that I downloaded for my previous machine
post #2167 of 2316 Old 03-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docemc View Post

Good idea; they didn't ship any firmware but I have the latest firmware that I downloaded for my previous machine

Brilliant!!! It is loading but I lost all my channels; I had it NOT change the settings. I was so shocked that I didn't follow the rest of the instructions to remove the USB stick and turn off the power but that seems unnecesarry. It is working now and has all my recorded programs
post #2168 of 2316 Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 PM

Letter to epvision

You received my old PHD-VRX-2 on Friday; I was able to use it for less than a week before it started hanging on a boot. Please credit me for that.

I have been able to use the replacement for only two days before I got the same problem. Obviously I am doing a more thorough testing of your machine that either your test people or any of your customers. Here is what happened

I went to check on upcoming programs and found the machine recording on Channel 1 with the program guide for channel 2 empty.

I stopped the recording; then I pressed REC to record something but g0t distracted by
phone call. When I came back, the screen was blank and no buttons
were operative. the device say rEC. I press power off and then
on. It hangs on boot. After a while it flashes 720 and then
reboots and hangs. I pull out the plug and plug it in again
after five minutes. I press start and it hangs on boot. This is
similar with what happened with the first one.

I was about to ship the damn thing back to you but videobruce on the web suggested that I reflash the firmware. Fortunately I had the latest firmware which I used for my old non-working machine..
It loaded but I lost all my channels; I had it NOT change the settings. I was so shocked that I didn't follow the rest of the instructions to remove the USB stick and turn off the power but that seems unnecessary. It is working now and has all my recorded programs.

I have found MANY bugs besides this one and I was about to document them when this happened. You need to send out a statement as to how to recover using the new firmware and what to do generally when problems occur. Furthermore your update should allow for keeping all the old channels
post #2169 of 2316 Old 03-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Note that is Epvision had been smart enough to tell me to reload the firmware, I would not have had to send back my other machine. Evidently it is a software bug rather than a hardware bug
post #2170 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Since Wednesday, the unit crashed at the start of a recording.  Any suggestions from anyone on how to get it to start recording again?  I cleaned up the drive some, but wasn't sure if I should have deleted the record file too.  Any suggestions?

GuruSR.

post #2171 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruSR View Post

Since Wednesday, the unit crashed at the start of a recording.  Any suggestions from anyone on how to get it to start recording again?  I cleaned up the drive some, but wasn't sure if I should have deleted the record file too.  Any suggestions?

GuruSR.

Explain; if the unit is dead you probably need reload the latest firmware on the epd site. If you say to keep old settings you will still lose your tuner settings and your program guide setting.
If you mean that it won't record, what happens?
post #2172 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 PM

Has anyone successfully recorded two programs starting at the same time?

while watching a recording on channel 1 programs are about to
start on both channels. I get a warning, I click yes but channel
2 fails. I try to record it and it says there is a conflict even
the previously set recording is no longer active
post #2173 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Explain; if the unit is dead you probably need reload the latest firmware on the epd site. If you say to keep old settings you will still lose your tuner settings and your program guide setting.
If you mean that it won't record, what happens?

At first, I thought the unit *was* dead, Tuner 1 produced nothing (I changed channels on it and it came back to life), so I plugged it back in after the yank to kill it (wasn't responding, said Rec - 1 on the screen).  Upon reboot, the unit just said "boot" and sat there doing nothing, wouldn't show any channel number until I changed it to another channel manually.

I then unplugged the USB drive because all the recordings had a memory stick with an X on them, so I went looking there.  The laptop I plugged in, found the drive and contents fine.  I did however find deleted shows still on the drive (from a few days back), I removed them all, including the nav files to match and the 3meg video it started recording on Wednesday at 1pm.

Upon cleaning those files up, I plugged it back in, it then read the drive fine, said all the upcoming recordings were great to go, so I powered it off.  My week was crazy, so I hadn't had any time to look at the unit until Friday evening, when I found nothing had recorded at all since the crash.  I made a manual recording on Saturday, it *did* do the recording fine.  I'm thinking I have to delete all my programs and redo them.  Since the recording tonight at 7pm to 9pm, didn't start.  I had to make it record for 2 hours (and it complained the turner was *busy* for that period to do a recording, yet it wasn't).  It did do the record for 2 hours (manually started).  Just won't seem to do any in the upcoming programs, which it was prior to the crash.  I'm wondering if I should have removed that "record" file as well, it could have been damaged too in the crash.

My only thought at the moment, is to delete all the manual recording entries, and start over, though I'm noticing they don't *go away* immediately.  So I wonder why the unit crashed in the first place, has anyone had this happen?  May I be looking at a dying unit?

GuruSR.

post #2174 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes
I have record 2 and watch one from the recording all at the same time

Dave
Quote:

Has anyone successfully recorded two programs starting at the same time?

while watching a recording on channel 1 programs are about to
start on both channels. I get a warning, I click yes but channel
2 fails. I try to record it and it says there is a conflict even
the previously set recording is no longer active
post #2175 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post

Yes
I have record 2 and watch one from the recording all at the same time

Dave

As far as I can tell, this ****ed up machine doesn't reliably do much of anything. It was just recording on channel 1 and watching channel 2. . Channel 1 ended and started a new recording. A note appeared that Channel 2 was starting in 15 seconds but then a message appeared that it failed
post #2176 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:

At first, I thought the unit *was* dead, Tuner 1 produced nothing (I changed channels on it and it came back to life), so I plugged it back in after the yank to kill it (wasn't responding, said Rec - 1 on the screen).  Upon reboot, the unit just said "boot" and sat there doing nothing, wouldn't show any channel number until I changed it to another channel manually.

I had something similar happen but I didn't try changing channels; nothing else worked and I returned it. The same thing happened on the new one and I reloaded the firmware to get it to work

I then unplugged the USB drive because all the recordings had a memory stick with an X on them, so I went looking there.  The laptop I plugged in, found the drive and contents fine.  I did however find deleted shows still on the drive (from a few days back), I removed them all, including the nav files to match and the 3meg video it started recording on Wednesday at 1pm.

-- --- the recordings I have set to record that failed have an x; I presume it will not record next week. I have files under Media player - video which I cannot delete. I'm not sure it is documented but you can watch programs while they are being recorded (from the beginning) but if you stop, it does not save the position

Upon cleaning those files up, ...
My only thought at the moment, is to delete all the manual recording entries, and start over, though I'm noticing they don't *go away* immediately.  So I wonder why the unit crashed in the first place, has anyone had this happen?  May I be looking at a dying unit?

No; it's undoubtedly a software problem; reload the latest firmware and it will be ok (as at least as ok as a machine can be that is full of bugs)

GuruSR.
post #2177 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:

No; it's undoubtedly a software problem; reload the latest firmware and it will be ok (as at least as ok as a machine can be that is full of bugs)

Then which version should I be enduring?

GuruSR.

post #2178 of 2316 Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Then which version should I be[enduring?
[/SIZE]

GuruSR.

Enduring?
post #2179 of 2316 Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:

Enduring?

Yes, which version should I be using in the unit that has the least amount of headaches, I seem to recall there was one we shouldn't have touched.  What version is the one to look at for "stability"?

GuruSR.

post #2180 of 2316 Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

GuruSR;
Are you using a HDD or a memory stick? Assuming a HDD, how is it formatted? Were any recordings not recorded on the VRX2?

Use the original version that was shipped with the unit.

post #2181 of 2316 Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

GuruSR;
Are you using a HDD or a memory stick? Assuming a HDD, how is it formatted? Were any recordings not recorded on the VRX2?

Use the original version that was shipped with the unit.

HDD, Ext2f, the drive was formatted for usage only with the VRX2 (right out of the static wrap).

Is the original version available somewhere?  I don't actually think it is, since I had to search for the firmware here to find only the latest ones.

Now, I dumped all the recordings (all manuals) and set them all back up, definitely got some data corruption in manual recording storage as well, as the first show at 1pm today, recorded fine, but then tuner 2 started recording and still is...  Will check it at 3pm to see if it's gone brain dead on one of the recordings for another day.

GuruSR.

post #2182 of 2316 Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 PM

I just ordered an iView-3500STBII Tuner and a 1tb drive at $100 for the pair. It's only on for a few days
http://*******.com/m6ztu5e see promocode for iview $44 with extra 3 year warranty

B&H photo center WD 1tb hard drive $59. I ordered over phone. free shipping
post #2183 of 2316 Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM

I turned my new machine off just before 11p with programs to record at 11p . It came on and booted (why the hell does it have to boot? can't it just sleep). It again hung on boot and I again had to reload the firmware. Of course it lost my program settings which takes over 30 minutes to set up.

What is you opinion about buying a used Tivo on ebay with a lifetime subscription?
post #2184 of 2316 Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
It's the cheapest way to get name-based recording and is a significantly better value than buying a new TiVo, unless you need the extra tuners on the Roamio.
post #2185 of 2316 Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It's the cheapest way to get name-based recording and is a significantly better value than buying a new TiVo, unless you need the extra tuners on the Roamio.

I need an internet connection, don't I?
post #2186 of 2316 Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I turned my new machine off just before 11p with programs to record at 11p . It came on and booted (why the hell does it have to boot? can't it just sleep). It again hung on boot and I again had to reload the firmware. Of course it lost my program settings which takes over 30 minutes to set up.

What is you opinion about buying a used Tivo on ebay with a lifetime subscription?
post #2187 of 2316 Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I need an internet connection, don't I?

That or a phone connection, but internet is far superior. You would need to buy a telephone connnection adapter, but you could just buy a wireless adapter and connect to your home network . . .

There was a guy on the forums about a week ago with two Premieres for sale. Don't know if he still has them, or if they have Lifetime . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #2188 of 2316 Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 AM

Well, my unit *appears* to be behaving.

Post crash I:

Removed the debris from the drive using a laptop, which included supposedly deleted (but hadn't happened) shows.

I *should* have removed the Record file, but didn't.

I went in and removed ALL recordings, re entering them using the Rec button on the remote and manually added them all back in.

The first recording went "stupid", recorded 57.1 not 7.1 on Sunday, was wondering where it got that show title from, but half way through realized it was on the wrong channel.  Tuner 1 failed to swap channels.  Then on Monday it recorded the same show twice (7.1 on both tuners), but, oddly, wouldn't stop recording at all!  So I stopped it after 6 hours and removed the bloated recording (no idea where that one came from).  There is definitely data corruption in the code used to record the data for recordings.  I don't look at the "upcoming" recordings while entering the recordings from scratch, as I know this corrupts the data badly.  Don't use any Mon-Fri programs, always do them 1 at a time for each day.

Half way through entering the manual recordings the settings went from Weekly to Mon-Fri and then Once, so more corruption there.

So far, it *is* recording what it should be from my recordings.  I've not checked last night's recordings, but if I missed any, I can get them on demand elsewhere (Android TV stick and going to the stations site and watching it streamed there).

I downloaded both versions of the firmware, but have yet to match it to the one in my unit, will possibly update it to another version, but unsure which one is the "least worse choice", anyone?  The site still shows 2 versions, just not sure which one to consider "stable".  If they could get rid of the data corruption in the recording storage, I'd be happy.  The crashing on boot, hasn't happened to me, but, if it says "Boot" and you see nothing on the screen, try Channel Up (means the tuner is/has/was crashed and you need to give it a channel to reset it).

GuruSR.

post #2189 of 2316 Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Well, my unit *appears* to be behaving.

Post crash I:

Don't use any Mon-Fri programs, always do them 1 at a time for each day.

That's ridiculous; I wouldn't have enough settings; I think there are only 25

My latest

machine wa recording on tuner 1 when message came up saying tuner
2 was starting in 15 seconds then "program has no content" The
station was in fact off the air. display is rec1-2 but it is
impossible to do anything, not even switch tuners. NO buttons
work. I'll wait and see what happens.

If I ever stop finding bugs, I will edit and post my list
post #2190 of 2316 Old 04-03-2014, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

GuruSR;
Do you have and have you tried the original firmware version; 243_23_31?

Off their FTP site;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD_VRX2_firmware-VRX2_243_23_31.zip

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page