post #2191 of 2354 Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

GuruSR;
Do you have and have you tried the original firmware version; 243_23_31?

Off their FTP site;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD_VRX2_firmware-VRX2_243_23_31.zip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2354 Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 PM

I just got a pair of Iview; a great buy for $40 and much easier to use than the PHD.

On the PHD, I believe that you can have the correct days for M-F recordings if you put in the current day when you program it. To do this you must first say it is a weekly recording and set the current day and THEN change it to weekly. It seems that the listing is then in order
post #2193 of 2354 Old 04-04-2014, 01:14 PM

quote name="docemc" url="/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/2190#post_24566856"

A "little" problem; it can't play and record at the same time. OK for my friend who has nothing but I have two things going (more or less).
Does anyone want it for $45+shipping with a transferable 3 year warrenty (factory is 90 days
post #2194 of 2354 Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

GuruSR;
Do you have and have you tried the original firmware version; 243_23_31?

Off their FTP site;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD_VRX2_firmware-VRX2_243_23_31.zip

I haven't, no.  I may have that one downloaded already, if not, and I need it, I will.  It's been behaving 100% normal again, recording everything so far, nothing missed.  Seems going weekly for recordings and not doing Mon-Fri, cut out a lot of the problems.

GuruSR.

post #2195 of 2354 Old 04-06-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docemc View Post

quote name="docemc" url="/t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/2190#post_24566856"

A "little" problem; it can't play and record at the same time. OK for my friend who has nothing but I have two things going (more or less).
Does anyone want it for $45+shipping with a transferable 3 year warrenty (factory is 90 days

My unit does record and play at the same time, had 2 recordings going and was watching a third.  The problem most likely is in your storage media, memory sticks are junk for recording to, SSD USB drives on the other hand, are the cat's meow.

GuruSR.

post #2196 of 2354 Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruSR View Post

My unit does record and play at the same time, had 2 recordings going and was watching a third.  The problem most likely is in your storage media, memory sticks are junk for recording to, SSD USB drives on the other hand, are the cat's meow.

GuruSR.

I meant the ivew

post #2197 of 2354 Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Hello guys. Thought I would check up and see if anything has changed VRX wise in the last 3 months tonight. After a quick review of the postings... looks like no change. Judging from the manufacturer's web site looks like the original vrx owners have been abandoned now. Last release of f/w was VRX.243.19.20 and its the end of the line for us now eh? I still have the unit plugged in but dont use it much anymore.

One of the few positive experiences I have had with the unit is using it as a media player. I have lots of movies on my lan on my NAS. This the vrx seems to play reliably time and time again provided you have let 24 hours elapse since you put the movies on the NAS... seems to need that much time to get the directory listings correctly... but that I can live with.

I recently found a few bucks to spare and bought myself a refurbished desktop computer for a hundred bucks and plugged into my tv's rgb jack and into the internet/LAN. Best thing I have tried in the last 2 years. Also downloaded some vpn software with a free service and I can now watch streamed shows from around the world by using a vpn terminating in the desired country. Imagine that ... just watch shows and not fart around resetting a pvr over and over. and its free... dont have to pay for a tv guide either. Wow that would smart... pay for a tv guide for a pvr with unstable f/w.

I have also learned that the PC can play any movie on my NAS using Windows Media player just as well as the VRX can... so this kind of seals the fate of the vrx going forward. I have downloaded and tried out XBMC and found it works good as a media player and file cabinet for movies too. If it can reliably handle OTA recordings as it claims then that will be where I go with this. A friend recently lent me his Hauppage USB tuner to try out with my PC and it passed my test. So I may get an internal version for the PC someday.

No real pressure to rush ahead with the tuner card though as I have so much content to watch from the internet I dont have enough time to check it all out. Watched BBC last night. I was on youtube last week with the pc rig and found a guy who created an index to over 200 world war II movies. My neighbour saw that and said hey... I pay Netflix for the same thing you have free. So thats it for now. Explore and enjoy some alternatives.

Best of luck to all. Time to move on.

Ed
post #2198 of 2354 Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruSR View Post

Seems going weekly for recordings and not doing Mon-Fri, cut out a lot of the problems.

GuruSR.
Interesting discovery - have you tried daily recordings?

If daily recordings work OK, you could just use daily in lieu of Mon-Fri. You'd get a couple of unwanted extra recordings each week but you could just delete them; probably easier than setting up a weekly recording five times (Mon. through Fri.) for each Mon-Fri show.
post #2199 of 2354 Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Interesting discovery - have you tried daily recordings?

If daily recordings work OK, you could just use daily in lieu of Mon-Fri. You'd get a couple of unwanted extra recordings each week but you could just delete them; probably easier than setting up a weekly recording five times (Mon. through Fri.) for each Mon-Fri show.

I did something similar, I did 1 program for Monday to Friday set Weekly.  Setting it daily would be a hassle.  Since all of my programs are weekly, this way, there is no corruption with other types of programs.  Just meant more work to set it up.

GuruSR.

post #2200 of 2354 Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I like over the air ATSC broadcast channels, however within 10 years broadcasters could switch to 100% Internet based streaming. I hope ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and FOX decide not to sale their TV spectrum back to the government.
Wheeler Suggests Broadcasters Should Migrate to the Internet.

QUOTE:

"Some in the broadcast industry fear the FCC is using these new rules as a way to strong-arm broadcasters into giving up their spectrum in the upcoming incentive spectrum auction. Broadcasters are being asked to voluntarily sell their spectrum back to the government, which will then sell the spectrum to wireless broadband providers. The FCC is still working out the rules for the auction, which is scheduled to take place by mid 2015."

http://www.cnet.com/news/fcc-chairman-offers-plan-to-save-broadcasters/
post #2201 of 2354 Old 04-10-2014, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The wireless industry has gotten way too much spectrum. They haven't begun to fully use what they already have.
Let them take away from the vast wasteland from 225-400 MHz first. Talk about big government. mad.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2202 of 2354 Old 04-10-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Wheeler's proposal. For most folks, moving local TV to broadband Internet would mean providing it via cable - which means cable would mostly be "competing" with itself. "Do you want to watch Shark Tank on cable or on cable Internet?" Big choice.

But then, Wheeler was a lobbyist for both the cable and wireless industries. Both would benefit from broadcast TV going away: cable would lose their biggest competitors, and wireless would get all that spectrum.
post #2203 of 2354 Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Wheeler's proposal. For most folks, moving local TV to broadband Internet would mean providing it via cable - which means cable would mostly be "competing" with itself. "Do you want to watch Shark Tank on cable or on cable Internet?" Big choice.

But then, Wheeler was a lobbyist for both the cable and wireless industries. Both would benefit from broadcast TV going away: cable would lose their biggest competitors, and wireless would get all that spectrum.

Yes, absolutely. Wheeler plans to save broadcasters by doing away with broadcasting? That's counterintuitive at best, and blatantly subversive at worst. Broadcasters don't own the content that he would have them deliver over the Internet. Broadcasting is a delivery system that competes with cable and Internet. Everything else is going wireless these days, which makes sense because wireless technology eliminates much costly infrastructure, so why do we want to eliminate the oldest wireless technology we have? It's just a spectrum grab. If broadcasters give up their licenses, they're left with nothing of real value.
post #2204 of 2354 Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

3rd party paid program guide compared to the free program guide on the EpVision PHD-VRX

EpVision’s latest firmware for the original PHD-VRX is still VRX 243.25.43.RC1. There are two ways to get the electronic program guide data. The most popular method is the free guide data that is provided by the local ATSC TV stations in ones area. Data is located in the ATSC broadcast over the air data stream and sometimes also the in the clear QAM data stream depending on the cable company (Verizon FIOS in my area offers around 80% of their in the clear QAM channels with free in the clear program guide data. Also all the local ATSC MPEG-2 broadcast channels are bit for bit exactly the same picture quality when converted to MPEG-2 QAM on Verizon FIOS). The other method is to use the 3rd party electronic guide which is sent over the internet to the PHD-VRX as long as one has the ethernet networking cable connected to their high speed Internet connection.

The 3rd Party electronic program guide is a subscription based program guide that is suppose to be better than the free electronic program guide (at least that is the theory). I activated the free 7 day trial to the 3rd party program guide on the PHD-VRX. To my surprise the electronic program guide was populated with 7 days worth of data for all the local ATSC channels within a 5 minute period. Perhaps since my PHD-VRX is connected to a fast Verzion FIOS internet connection that might be why it only took around 5 minutes for the PHD-VRX to download 7 days worth of data.

The negative feature of the 3rd party program guide is that it only supports over the air ATSC broadcast channels. When I switched to the Verizon clear QAM channels under the new 3rd party program guide, there was no guide data at all. This will only be an issue for people that use at least one tuner in the PHD-VRX to pick up clear QAM cable TV channels.

When my 7 day free trial to the 3rd party program guide ended, I decided not to renew the paid subscription. The electronic program guide subscription only costs $25 a year (which is only around $2.08 a month). However, I found the free subscription program guide on the PHD-VRX to be better quality. Its true that some ATSC channels on the free program guide data stream only send 48-72 hour’s worth of program data instead of the 7 day program guide data that is offered by the 3rd party program guide provider. However, I noticed that some ATSC channels on the free program guide offered 8 complete days of program guide information, which is one more day compared to the paid electronic program guide. **The big problem with the 3rd party program guide is that there is no cable TV support and no guide data at all for in the clear QAM cable channels.** So for an entire week during the 7 day free trial I lost all guide data for the Verizon FIOS in the clear QAM channels. Even though the PHD-VRX has 4 channel maps, 2 tuners, and 2 program guides, the current firmware only allows both program guides to have only one EPG data source. The ideal firmware update to the PHD-VRX should allow for one tuner to use the free program guide data source, and the second tuner to use the 3rd party program guide source. Offering no program guide data on in the clear QAM cable channels was the big deal killer for me. Another issue is, even if the paid program guide were to work with clear QAM cable in the future by the data provider for around $2.08 a month ($25 a year), it is still not even worth it. For example for around $3.99 a month one can rent a cablecard from their cable company that will allow them to record 6 HD channels at once using the infiniTV6 PCIe computer card. In addition, Windows Media Center offers a completely free program guide with at least 7 days worth of data. So if one has cable TV service why should one pay around $2.08 a month for a 3rd party program guide that does not work with cable TV, when instead for $3.99 a month one can turn their desktop PC into a 6 channel HD DVR that records both in the clear and encrypted MPEG-4/MPEG-2 channels that one subscribes too. The cablecard rental at a higher rental price is a much better value.

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-pcie/
post #2205 of 2354 Old 04-28-2014, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1. The pay service was pulled just after it's introduction because there was never any agreement between ePVision & SD, this is not a option anymore (unless something has really changed recently),
2. You didn't add in the cost of the PC (assuming one already has one) and the extra hardware into the equation,
3. Lastly, the usual hassle getting PC components all to work together (unless you are real lucky) and the associated tweaking etc. was not mentioned.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2206 of 2354 Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, the firmware was pulled for the PHD-VRX2 that offered Schedules Direct 3rd party guide data. However maybe EpVision fixed their business relationship with Schedules Direct since a few weeks or so after the firmware was pulled, EpVision released a new firmware update for their original PHD-VRX unit that offers full support for Schedules Direct. In fact the latest firmware on their website that supports Schedules Direct is still available on their website for a download.

PHD_VRX_firmware-VRX_243_25_43_RC1.zip

Your correct I did not mention the hardware cost in order to use the cablecard. One of my family members has a PC already with a cablecard installed and they get free weekly guide data from Windows Media Center.

Schedules direct is an ideal low cost service for someone that only needs ATSC channel guide data for up to 7 days. Only some ATSC channels offer up to 8 days of free program guide data.
post #2207 of 2354 Old 04-28-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I certainly hope ePVision can come to some sort of agreement with Schedules Direct (and/or their supplier, Tribune Media). I do think the option of a 7-day guide would be valuable to many OTA users.

Very few OTA stations broadcast even 7 days; in fact, HDTV1080P24's market is the first I've heard of with even one, let alone several. HDTV1080P24 should thank the station engineers who are broadcasting so much guide. Elsewhere, the best I've ever seen was KXAS-TV in the D/FW area, which used to broadcast 5-6 days; unfortunately, they've cut way down recently. The longest PSIP guides currently available in D/FW are 3 days. Many of our stations only broadcast 12 hours!

I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that the PHD-VRX will show at least 8 days of guide, if that much is broadcast via PSIP. Probably should tout that in the front-page posts; many DVRs can only display about a day or so, no matter how much is broadcast. The PHD-VRX and the old DTVPal/CM-7000Pal are the only ones I know of that will display a week or more of PSIP. (WMC and TiVo also display more, but their guides don't come from PSIP.)

FiOS is apparently unusual in generating PSIP data for all channels. In general, cable systems don't bother with this; but then, FiOS isn't really cable. I would bet that FiOS is actually providing its own guide data via PSIP and not just rebroadcasting the OTA guides. If so, you should see more guide on FiOS than OTA for some stations.

BTW, the Windows Media Center guide is indeed free with WMC - and it typically goes out 12 days! But you do need a Windows PC, a PC tuner, TV-quality A/V for your PC, and their associated expense and hassles. Many folks have a Windows PC already anyway, but not necessarily the other stuff - nor do they necessarily run their PC 24/7 like a DVR. A CableCARD tuner is only needed for encrypted QAM channels (another advantage of FiOS over cable is the large number of clear QAM channels where you don't need a CableCARD), but you'll need a PC tuner of some kind.
post #2208 of 2354 Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Very few OTA stations broadcast even 7 days
In this market, seven hours is more like it.
At least this does better than the iView with CATV. wink.gif

post #2209 of 2354 Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the iView and its clones are totally dependent on PSIP, so they're pretty useless on most cable systems. But I wonder if the iView might work well with FiOS, since FiOS apparently has PSIP?
post #2210 of 2354 Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FiOS is in such limited areas that were hand picked by Verizon, it really isn't a contender.

post #2211 of 2354 Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 PM

I've experienced, with two different units and across firmware updates, sudden discontinuation of timed recordings.  I setup various programs to repeat weekly. It works for a while and then will stop recording, even though the recordings are still in the list.  Is this common, unique to me, and/or does anyone have a solution to this problem?

post #2212 of 2354 Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, the iView and its clones are totally dependent on PSIP, so they're pretty useless on most cable systems. But I wonder if the iView might work well with FiOS, since FiOS apparently has PSIP?

Verizon FIOS only has PSIP data for the local channels like ABC, PBS, NBC, CBS, FOX, and other broadcast channels that were originally ATSC MPEG-2 channels (video stream is bit for bit converted to QAM MPEG-2 channels). The clear QAM channels on Verizon are 80%-90% local broadcast channels. The other 20%-10% clear QAM channels are basic cable channels and local community channels that have no guide data at all with a clear QAM tuner since no PSIP data exists. However if one uses a cablecard or the Motorola cable box with the cablecard inserted, every channel has guide data for up to two weeks.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2213 of 2354 Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeahl View Post

I've experienced, with two different units and across firmware updates, sudden discontinuation of timed recordings.  I setup various programs to repeat weekly. It works for a while and then will stop recording, even though the recordings are still in the list.  Is this common, unique to me, and/or does anyone have a solution to this problem?

When I was deleting the recording history I had the exact same problem that you are having under the latest firmware for the PHD-VRX. I found out that deleting the recording history messes up the weekly recordings that are scheduled, and to fix the problem I had to delete all the scheduled recordings and then go back into the guide to remark what programs I wanted recorded each week.

When I completely stopped deleting items from the recorded history list, the PHD-VRX has been completely stable and recording programs that I want every week. For some reason there is a bug in the firmware that will not allow one to delete items from the recorded history, if that history is messed with the PHD-VRX scheduled recordings will no longer work. To fix the issue I deleted all the scheduled recordings and recording history then rescheduled everything again in the program guide.

My recommendation is to never delete anything in the recorded history if you have items scheduled to be recorded.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2214 of 2354 Old 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FiOS is in such limited areas that were hand picked by Verizon, it really isn't a contender.
True. I can't get it myself. Verizon and AT&T carved up the DFW metroplex and I happen to live in the AT&T ghetto frown.gif

BTW I can't get AT&T's U-verse either. Tried once; they came out, tried to hook it up and couldn't, but did manage to screw up my telephone land line in the process. Had to call my CLEC from a cell phone and have them put in a repair order with AT&T to fix what they screwed up mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post

Quote:

Verizon FIOS only has PSIP data for the local channels like ABC, PBS, NBC, CBS, FOX, and other broadcast channels that were originally ATSC MPEG-2 channels (video stream is bit for bit converted to QAM MPEG-2 channels). The clear QAM channels on Verizon are 80%-90% local broadcast channels. The other 20%-10% clear QAM channels are basic cable channels and local community channels that have no guide data at all with a clear QAM tuner since no PSIP data exists. However if one uses a cablecard or the Motorola cable box with the cablecard inserted, every channel has guide data for up to two weeks.
Thanks for the info, even if it's disappointing. Sounds like FiOS is better than most cable systems (at least they have some PSIP) but most guide info is apparently in the typical proprietary cable format.

Still, even a few stations with PSIP would be a big help for the iView and its clones. They have no option to set their internal clocks manually and so need PSIP for a clock reference.
post #2215 of 2354 Old 05-02-2014, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The last mailing from Verizon quotes a price for just broadband & phone for around $10 less what I'm paying for cable TV, broadband & phone. The other difference is their broadband is 15 down and 5 up vs 10/1.

post #2216 of 2354 Old 05-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Verizon FIOS fastest plan currently is 500Mbps down and 100Mbps upload. They plan to offer 1Gbps download in the future. They have all kinds of plans between 15Mbps to 500Mbps. Everyone I have spoke too that has Verizon FIOS gets more speed then the stated plan speed. For example I did a speed test on someone’s Verizon account that has the 75Mbps download with 35Mbps upload plan. They were really getting around 85Mbps download and around 40Mbps upload.
post #2217 of 2354 Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 PM

HDTV1080P24,

Thanks for the reply. When you say "delete history" you mean deleting old recordings?  Meaning I can't ever delete a recording of a show that is on a weekly repeat to record? 

post #2218 of 2354 Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

You can delete old recordings and there will not be a problem (I do that all the time with no problems). Its only when I went in the recording history list was when I had a problem.

In addition, power cycling your PHD-VRX or PHD-VRX2 will fix glitches. If something is not being recorded try deleting it from the scheduled recording and rescheduling it will usually fix the problem.

As a very last option doing a complete factory reset should fix the problem, however I never had to do this and I do not recommend it since it’s too time consuming to re-program all the settings that were erased.
post #2219 of 2354 Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM

this DVR is a disaster
post #2220 of 2354 Old 05-10-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18

As a newbie to this forum let me start by saying Im less than impressed by my PHD-VRX as compared to my PAL. Im on 243.19.20 which is the latest release on epvisions site but there was a link in a post to a page with more updates to the PHD-VRX, the highest number being 243.25.43.RC1. I didnt see (or missed) what features or bugs the releases fixed. Should I update my unit or stand pat? Thanks for any info.

My best friend is my PAL
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page