Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2251 of 2273 Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The audio path from the VRX to the TV is still via HDMI even though you are only using/hearing two channel stereo.
Try running analog audio out to the TV from the VRX if the TV will allow that. You do not have a 5.1/7.1 A/.V receiver or int. amp you can connect this to, bypassing the TV's audio loop?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2273 Old 05-31-2014, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This cannot possibly be a "pass-thru" issue. As I've pointed out twice, the dual-RCA audio output runs to my amplified speakers. I have BOTH audio paths running simultaneously, and neither responds to the PHD-VRX volume control. Both are very low volume when playing PHD-VRX recordings, but adequately loud when playing media files or live programming from the PHD-VRX tuners. Somehow, the recordings have a very low volume setting in the files, or possibly the unit treats them differently from other files and inputs.
ED BEAR <<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
post #2253 of 2273 Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, I have not notice this, has anyone else??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2254 of 2273 Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM

Liked: 10

So is ePVision out of business? I havent been able to bring up www.epvision.com in over a week.

My best friend is my PAL
post #2255 of 2273 Old 05-31-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get them right now
post #2256 of 2273 Old 05-31-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Both sites are up.

post #2257 of 2273 Old 05-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Hmmm must be a firefox issue then, I still cant bring it up from my bookmark or a bing search link

My best friend is my PAL
post #2258 of 2273 Old 05-31-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 247
The domain probably isn't cached by your DNS server, so it can't resolve the site's IP address. The site loads for me.
post #2259 of 2273 Old 06-02-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bear View Post

This cannot possibly be a "pass-thru" issue. As I've pointed out twice, the dual-RCA audio output runs to my amplified speakers. I have BOTH audio paths running simultaneously, and neither responds to the PHD-VRX volume control. Both are very low volume when playing PHD-VRX recordings, but adequately loud when playing media files or live programming from the PHD-VRX tuners. Somehow, the recordings have a very low volume setting in the files, or possibly the unit treats them differently from other files and inputs.
ED BEAR <<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
The Homeworx DVR has a somewhat similar issue: it down-mixes all DD 5.1 recordings to stereo during playback. With that DVR the work-around is to rename the recording (using a PC), changing the file extension from .mts to .ts. The media player will then play back the file correctly, in DD 5.1. Very strange. Just a shot in the dark but perhaps something similar would work here?
post #2260 of 2273 Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bear View Post

Some comments on Videobruce's massive "list of issues":

3e. Remove that "Active" check box in the new "Record Schedule Timer." That is available in the schedule screen if one wants to skip recording for a week. You don't schedule a recording not to record.

=> BEAR: Nu-oh! It's great for preempted programs due to holiday or sports shows, when you don't want to lose your regular schedule and may want to have the tuner recording something else. And if a recording fails, you won't be able to start the recording manually because the still-active failed recording will cause a conflict.
I'd like to propose a slightly different approach: have a screen listing upcoming scheduled recordings (perhaps by extending recording "history" a week or two into the future), and let you skip individual upcoming recordings from there.

The way it is now, if you want to skip a show, you have to deactivate the timer, wait until after the show you want to skip, then remember to reactivate the timer. It's too easy to forget and miss the show following the one you wanted to skip.

But if you could skip individual recordings instead, the DVR would automatically pick up the series again after skipping the unwanted shows.
post #2261 of 2273 Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My reasoning is, it eliminates one more unnecessary button press. Yes, it's just one, but there are too many for many functions. It's Ok to have the option, but it should not be in the flow each time you set another timer.

post #2262 of 2273 Old 06-21-2014, 09:02 AM

I see on the epvision website there is a new (2/6/14,v 243.25.43) firmware update for the original VRX. Im on v243.19.20. Anybody know what this update fixes? Im wishing for an HDMI audio fix and the ability to delete the recordings that fail to fully record and arent shown when you press the orange button but can be found in the main menu. (sorry I forget the exact location for them )

My best friend is my PAL
post #2263 of 2273 Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That last update from February is reported very buggy. You can try it, but be sure you have a copy of versions previous so you can flash back.

post #2264 of 2273 Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
That last update from February is reported very buggy. You can try it, but be sure you have a copy of versions previous so you can flash back.
I have using it and no bugs
Try this link
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX/
post #2265 of 2273 Old 06-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post
I have using it and no bugs
Try this link
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX/
Did you notice any changes or improvements? Is it even possible to downgrade the firmware? My biggest problems right now are the poor audio out of the HDMI and skipped recordings. Im assuming the skips are caused by signal drop-outs, I had it and a Homeworx 150 skip the same shows at the same time.

My best friend is my PAL
post #2266 of 2273 Old 06-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68 View Post
Did you notice any changes or improvements? Is it even possible to downgrade the firmware? My biggest problems right now are the poor audio out of the HDMI and skipped recordings. Im assuming the skips are caused by signal drop-outs, I had it and a Homeworx 150 skip the same shows at the same time.
I have one channel that skips all others work great I just watch that channel live. I have take to Allen and he said they are working to fix this soon.

Dave
post #2267 of 2273 Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM

Home Networking Causing Reboots

Has anyone had luck using Home Networking (media server). My unit starts randomly rebooting when I turn it on.
post #2268 of 2273 Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Home Networking Causing Reboots

to Bkeahl: With regards to your question.. the phd-vrx media server has worked ok for me for several years over many different releases of firmware while connected to a 100 Mbps Ethernet and a 1 Gbps Ethernet. One of the few bright spots in that product. The only issue I had with the Home LAN was that it was somehow slow to read the directory on my NAS... could take up to 12 hours to build a directory vs my windows xp computers that would see it instantly.

Also you may have noticed the google youtube interface on the NET button. That service had a nice video quality on earlier firmware versions but it had a tendency to freeze up randomly and cause you to reboot your unit to get it going again. Never saw any random reboots though... my first guess would be are you sure your power cables are firmly connected, power bars firmly attached... power levels not browning out? If not then I would return to analyzing the hardware.

One thing that caused freeze ups in earlier firmware versions on the vrx for me was a full recording history folder... delete all the stuff in there and the unit strangely works more reliably.. the emptier I keep it the better it works. If things were getting random best to clean out the history file and then reboot the unit about 4-5 times from a cold start and before you try it again.

That's all I can share with you. Good luck.
post #2269 of 2273 Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Cool A positive review

Hi. I had resigned myself to giving up on the VRX but a few weeks back I finally got around to loading up the latest version of PHD VRX firmware VRX 243.25.43 figuring it could not hurt to give this bad boy one more kick at the can before I transition it to a paperweight or expensive beer coaster.

Turns out it was a good idea. Not sure how the developers finally did it.. after almost a month of trialling the firmware... it seems that most of the annoying usability issues that have been going on for years are gone... things like recordings randomly failing to happen, timers that wont work, balky channel changing, frozen screens, unresponsive panel buttons, remote control circuits not responding to a working remote control, channels being recorded on their actual rf channel rather than the virtual channel and many many more. The one and only negative I have seen is that the video quality of the google/youtube service on the NET button is at lower resolution than it used to be... but even there I cannot be critical anymore as the rest of the PHD VRX firmware seems to be reliable and at a quality level that can satisfy any average retail store buyer.

This is wonderful... can't believe its for real. I might actually get to use this thing after years of waiting. Even more pleasantly surprising is the remote control that everyone criticized for years for not being powerful enough when transmitting signals.. it now works perfectly on every button push with this firmware release. Wow! So it was not the remote after all but the firmware.

This VRX has now recorded so many shows in the last 3 weeks that I ran out disk space this morning. First time ever. Glad I gave it one last go. Congratulations to Epvision.
post #2270 of 2273 Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Unfortunately, you are in a minority. Other than minute differences between each unit. I don't know what else it could be when you are OTA only. CATV is another animal.
Unless it's the amount of recording, scheduling and/or use. A few random programs, sprawled out over a day vs numerous overlapping recordings on both tuners in a short period of time I bet would make a difference.

Question, has anyone timed the time it takes to delete recordings? That was something that I can't understand why it takes so long unless the system is actually erasing the recording itself instead of just removing reference to it like Windows does.

post #2271 of 2273 Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM

The ext2 file system requires all the blocks of the recording to be freed up. (Even Windows or DOS would have to clear the FAT entries after marking the start block erased.)

I have noticed that large recording files (over 10GB) take a good bit of time, and the ones that take longest are those where two recordings were being made simultaneously. This would result in the two files, and their directory entries, being interleaved - a serious case of what we are used to knowing as "fragmentation" in filesystems. As a result, for example, a standard 10GB CBC evening News file takes about 50% longer to erase if I've recorded something on the other tuner at the same time. There's a heck of a lot of head movement going on.

ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
post #2272 of 2273 Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Is this just a ext2 'thing', or is it a combo between that and this DVR? There are other ext2 decks that don't appear to have this problem.

post #2273 of 2273 Old 06-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Deletion times

I don't think it's a characteristic of any particular filesystem, Videobruce. While it's only a single write to mark a file erased, there still has to be some way of keeping track of which blocks are freed up. Otherwise the filesystem has to search and check for free blocks with each write - overwhelming overhead for a computer system today. (Back in the days of CP/M, drives and files were small enough that there was time to do exactly that - check all the directory entries to see which blocks were being used. CP/M+ cached the directories in memory to speed this up.)

Our recordings are multi-gigabyte files, which are pretty much the largest ones home users will ever have to deal with. File fragmentation always makes things slower because while one can switch read/write heads electronically instantly (faster than it takes for even one block to go past a head), and one can read consecutive blocks on the same track at full rotational speed, physically moving the read/write heads in and out is very slow compared to the other delays.

With interleaved files (where blocks from two simultaneous recordings are laid down as fast as they come in on both tuners), the directory entries aren't neatly lined up, and the heads have to go jumping around (slowly) to mark them all as unused. It's got to be slower than a file copied from one disk to another with lots of free space - in which case the copy is laid down in mostly consecutive tracks and the directories optimized, because the system knows ahead of time how big the file it's writing will be.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
videobruce likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page