ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2281 of 2292 Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
OK thanks - some HDTV boxes I've read about (can't remember which) claim to have a guide but actually require switching through each channel to see the program information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2292 Old 07-15-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You do have to scroll through the channel list for each stations programming. The only DVR I know of that uses PSIP data for the program listings that remembers the data is the TiVx (which is discontinued). I'm not sure about the DVR+.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2283 of 2292 Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
You do have to scroll through the channel list for each stations programming. The only DVR I know of that uses PSIP data for the program listings that remembers the data is the TiVx (which is discontinued). I'm not sure about the DVR+.
TiVx is interesting, shame that the company is dead, looks like there was a lot of potential there. I definitely need to look out for more ATSC products coming out of south korea.
post #2284 of 2292 Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 268
You can still get them, if you want one, just as you can get the DTVPal (although the latter is rarer, due to being older).
post #2285 of 2292 Old 07-15-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy View Post
TiVx is interesting, shame that the company is dead, looks like there was a lot of potential there. I definitely need to look out for more ATSC products coming out of south korea.
I misspoke; it is an epg program guide. A picture is on p48 of the manual
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Docu...anual_v1.0.pdf

I will attach it. Note that the DTVPAL is unfortunately no longer available. It is much more limited that the PHD but is far superior as a DVR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epg.jpg (71.7 KB, 1 views)
post #2286 of 2292 Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
The DTVPal also remembers PSIP data so you don't have to tune to each station to see its guide. In fact it auto-scans all channels with its second tuner (if it's not recording something) to keep the PSIP guide updated.

Like you I'm not sure about the DVR+, but generally I'd expect it, or any device sporting a grid-style guide, to remember PSIP data; otherwise navigating the guide would be too slow to be useful:

I once used a Samsung HD STB (not a DVR) which had a grid-style guide but didn't remember PSIP data. Every time you brought up the guide you lost the video and audio while it rebuilt the guide channels following the current one. Once it was done the A/V would reappear (the video was in a preview window) but if you scrolled the guide it'd stop for several seconds again
post #2287 of 2292 Old 07-17-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a new owner of a PHD-VRX2 and I'm hoping one of you can help me out. I apologize if this has been addressed already.

When I play back a recording from a SD 480 channel, the aspect ratio has changed to widescreen, and I mean a very exaggerated widescreen (image attached).

I've tried changing several settings like Scale Window, the Aspect button and the Picture options in the main menu but I still can't get a playback with anything that resembles a 4:3 or a 16:9 picture.

Recordings from HD 1080 channels playback fine. It's just the SD 480 channels that have the altered scaling.

The lowered volume on playback is something I can live with, but this wonky picture size really annoys me. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (118.7 KB, 12 views)
post #2288 of 2292 Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's a known issue when you record sub-channels. Sorry, I forgot what the 'fix' was.
Have you tried to change the aspect choices?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2289 of 2292 Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM

Yes, I tried all the picture sizes available via the Aspect button:

Normal
Full Screen
Panoramic
Zoom1
Zoom2
4:3
Direct

None made any difference
Hopefully someone will remember.
post #2290 of 2292 Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Problem solved!
You were right, videobruce. The solution is in changing the Aspect from Normal to any of the other choices. I don't know why that didn't work for me earlier. My ineptitude, most likely.
post #2291 of 2292 Old 07-18-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It won't work in the preview window, just when you are actually watching it in full screen. The aspect names are not exactly correct.

post #2292 of 2292 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Aspects of Aspects

The PHD-VRX has a unique feature nobody else can boast: complete aspect, offset and size control. You can fine-tune the aspect you want, though you should turn off Auto Aspect in the playback menu to avoid having to re-set it all the time.

I'll be specific: from TV-watching mode (after hitting [EXIT]):
[MENU]
select [PICTURE]
select [AUTO ASPECT]
select [OFF]

Then, after you start playing a program OR watching live, press [QUICK] and select [SCALE WINDOW]

Now you can select and adjust horizontal or vertical size and/or position. For example, you may want to move your image to the top of the screen for a more comfortable viewing angle, or to avoid granny's tchotchke in front of the screen. You get 1% increments, and a RESET button when you've given up on getting it right or don't want to have to move the image 100 pixels back.

Then turn on AUTO ASPECT once you want to go back to common viewing aspects.

Note that you can leave AUTO ASPECT off and just use [QUICK][SCALE WINDOW], but you'll have to re-adjust it after every time you leave viewing, say, to visit the recordings list.

FOOTNOTE: This is one of the pains about the extra remote ePivision sells: there's no QUICK button, so you have to manually set AUTO ASPECT and adjust SCALE WINDOW without being able to see a played-back program as you adjust.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page