Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayu View Post
Thank you both:
Well it worked, did the whole dog and pony show B.S thing with it and it's clear now. Would have introduced it to my 12 gauge long ago if it wasn't for your help.

EPvision does not responded to problems, so I guess Allen has given up on this half baked piece of crap for supporting the PHD-VRX 2 (the other more three quarters baked piece of....)

I guess it's sorry if you have the old one, shet out of luck. Should have waited till we had a better one. But thanks for your money.

Oh well!

Giving it the 12 gauge treatment would be too kind! I sold mine many months ago after owning it for a few months and deciding I would either find someone like a VideoBruce who would see some good in this DVR and buy it from me or I would incinerate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2327 Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 135
It is a great tuner, though it is a little slow in channel changing. It does work as a DVR if you don't overtax it.

At least you don't have to pay $15 a month to use it.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #2313 of 2327 Old 08-27-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
At least you don't have to pay $15 a month to use it.
Using the word "use" loosely, as that would imply the VRX has actual useful functionality. It's more like, "At least you don't have to pay $15 a month to endure the VRX experience."
post #2314 of 2327 Old 08-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just one time and record two at one time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Using the word "use" loosely, as that would imply the VRX has actual useful functionality. It's more like, "At least you don't have to pay $15 a month to endure the VRX experience."
post #2315 of 2327 Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Prime HD PHD-VRX2 recorder

Hi;

There seems to be a lot of info here about my PHD-VRX2 HD recorder. I have one of these recorders hooked up in my bedroom and would like to view the recording in my living room. I also have a Roku XR box in the bedroom next to the recorder, in the living room, I have a WDTV media server. Can I connect a cable (USB, HDMI) between the two media servers or between the recorder and the WDTV media server (USB) and watch my recorded programs in the living room? Any ideas of how I can do this, the cable would have to be about 65 feet long, would I need some type of line booster? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
post #2316 of 2327 Old 08-30-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 161
That's a little too long for either USB or HDMI, and I think the PHD-VRX2 only uses USB to connect a HDD anyway.

There are HDMI extenders that let you send HDMI over Ethernet cabling. Just go to Amazon or eBay and search for HDMI extenders. But I think it has to be dedicated Ethernet cable, not part of an in-home network. You'll probably also want some kind of remote extender so you can operate your PHD-VRX2 from the living room.
post #2317 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastavin View Post
to Bkeahl: With regards to your question.. the phd-vrx media server has worked ok for me for several years over many different releases of firmware while connected to a 100 Mbps Ethernet and a 1 Gbps Ethernet. One of the few bright spots in that product. The only issue I had with the Home LAN was that it was somehow slow to read the directory on my NAS... could take up to 12 hours to build a directory vs my windows xp computers that would see it instantly.

Also you may have noticed the google youtube interface on the NET button. That service had a nice video quality on earlier firmware versions but it had a tendency to freeze up randomly and cause you to reboot your unit to get it going again. Never saw any random reboots though... my first guess would be are you sure your power cables are firmly connected, power bars firmly attached... power levels not browning out? If not then I would return to analyzing the hardware.

One thing that caused freeze ups in earlier firmware versions on the vrx for me was a full recording history folder... delete all the stuff in there and the unit strangely works more reliably.. the emptier I keep it the better it works. If things were getting random best to clean out the history file and then reboot the unit about 4-5 times from a cold start and before you try it again.

That's all I can share with you. Good luck.
Thanks for all the info. The unit only reboots regularly when home networking is turned on. As soon as I disable it the rebooting stops.
post #2318 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see Epvision has released firmware VRX2.244.22.30 for the VRX2.
Has anyone tried it and is there any noticeable improvements (other than being able to "pick a logo" that they show on their website)?
post #2319 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post
I see Epvision has released firmware VRX2.244.22.30 for the VRX2.
Has anyone tried it and is there any noticeable improvements (other than being able to "pick a logo" that they show on their website)?
I want to, hoping it makes this piece of junk usable, but like their DVR, the website is spastic. It shows firmware download, but nothing to click on to download!
post #2320 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Post 10 was updated.
Link added for VRX2 August firmware update.

windermere;
Funny you posted that. I just saw that yesterday. It was dated a month ago 8/14.
Doesn't seem as much of a upgrade, just another 'bell & whistle'.

bkeahl;
If you look for a small 'zip folder' icon, that's it under the Firmware tab. That is where the newer versions have been posted.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.

Last edited by videobruce; Yesterday at 09:08 AM.
post #2321 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

You have to scroll quite a ways down below the download instructions. Apparently a big honkin' graphic with lots of white space pushed the download link far down the page. Sheesh.

Windermere, I saw it when I went back, but it was pushed very far down the page due to some large graphic with lots of white space. Perhaps it was browser specific, as I tend to use Firefox.

Last edited by bkeahl; Yesterday at 07:51 PM.
post #2322 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Okay, I have the firmware loaded and am auto-tuning. It was a good time to do this since the unit had quit executing the programmed recordings. I stopped deleting the past recordings but the problem still cropped up. I think I may have turned it off at one time, could that cause it to abandon programmed recording? Also, once this happens, is there a way to fix it short of factory reset and re-enter all those programs?
post #2323 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

The August 22, 2014 firmware for the VX2 is loaded ...

A few minor menu changes, but no big functional changes I can see.

In settings ... I don't know if "Scale Window" was in the old Settings (lets you set position and size for vertical and horizontal). View mode lets you view Normal, Full Screen, Panoramic, Zoom 1, Zoom 2, 4:3, and Direct and didn't seem to change anything on the channel I tested on. Also RESET PICTURE (yes, it is like that in settings) resets defaults. Advanced has "Dynamic Contrast" <?>.

Oddly, the auto-tune found a couple more stations than in the past and I can also receive stations that would cut out before. This could be subjective and a result of current conditions, but I've never had success with a couple of these stations before. I'll just have to watch this.

Okay, the logo thing is cute, but only about 40% match on logos and stations. It's a little annoying, because if you don't find a matching logo the "GoTo" button acts like the "Exit" button and you have to navigate your way back. It also takes you back to the top of the list when you assign a logo, rather than let you resume from the last station.

Master List edit will bump you out of the menu when switching to a station to skip.

I went ahead and formatted the hard drive and it seemed to take longer than before, but I haven't timed it, so I could just be imagining it

I programmed in a week's worth of recording, so we'll just see how it goes. I've also enabled home networking and am waiting to see if the random reboots resurface.
post #2324 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

Well, the random reboots when home networking is enabled seems to be fixed in this revision. I'm really happy about that. Recording is working at the moment, but that's to be expected. The halt to recording tends to take time and/or some event to stop. Maybe I'll do some power off/on and see if I can figure out how it breaks.

So far the update seems to be fine. No great breakthroughs, but it seems stable and nothing particularly strange has happened.
post #2325 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think I may have turned it off at one time, could that cause it to abandon programmed recording?
Did you check to see it the scheduled recording(s) were still listed in upcoming recordings?
Quote:
Oddly, the auto-tune found a couple more stations than in the past and I can also receive stations that would cut out before. This could be subjective and a result of current conditions,
Only reception conditions.
Quote:
Master List edit will bump you out of the menu when switching to a station to skip.
I don't believe it does, you mat have hit the wrong button.

Scale window was there and that dynamic contrast doesn't do anything (that was mentioned in the first 10 posts).

post #2326 of 2327 Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Did you check to see it the scheduled recording(s) were still listed in upcoming recordings?
Only reception conditions.
I don't believe it does, you mat have hit the wrong button.

Scale window was there and that dynamic contrast doesn't do anything (that was mentioned in the first 10 posts).
The menu issue repeated several times and even I'm not that uncoordinated. I figure it'll be conditions, but we are at the worst reception point of the year (maximum tree foliage) and the stations came in, otherwise I would not have even mentioned it at all.

I actually saw some effect from the contrast setting after playing with it, but seems to be more confusing than helpful.

What drove me crazy about the halt of recordings is that all of them showed up in upcoming but never ran. At least one person responded to me about this in the past, saying that deleting previously reported programs from media player broke it for him. I stopped doing that and went much longer without the problem surfacing. But yes, the list of upcoming showed all of them, they just didn't run.

So far I'd say this new update doesn't seem to break anything new and improves on what is there.

Brian
post #2327 of 2327 Old Today, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Regarding reception, I don't even know if any firmware change would/could affect receiving stations. Either way, I'm sure that wasn't even touched since no one really complained about reception problems over any other tuner they had that I remember.
I never saw any difference with the dynamic contrast, it's just another gimmick.
I don't know why/what the problem is with these lost recordings. Corrupted memory conflicts?

Post back if something changes.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page