Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayu View Post
Thank you both:
Well it worked, did the whole dog and pony show B.S thing with it and it's clear now. Would have introduced it to my 12 gauge long ago if it wasn't for your help.

EPvision does not responded to problems, so I guess Allen has given up on this half baked piece of crap for supporting the PHD-VRX 2 (the other more three quarters baked piece of....)

I guess it's sorry if you have the old one, shet out of luck. Should have waited till we had a better one. But thanks for your money.

Oh well!

Giving it the 12 gauge treatment would be too kind! I sold mine many months ago after owning it for a few months and deciding I would either find someone like a VideoBruce who would see some good in this DVR and buy it from me or I would incinerate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2361 Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It is a great tuner, though it is a little slow in channel changing. It does work as a DVR if you don't overtax it.

At least you don't have to pay $15 a month to use it.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2313 of 2361 Old 08-27-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
At least you don't have to pay $15 a month to use it.
Using the word "use" loosely, as that would imply the VRX has actual useful functionality. It's more like, "At least you don't have to pay $15 a month to endure the VRX experience."
post #2314 of 2361 Old 08-29-2014, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just one time and record two at one time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Using the word "use" loosely, as that would imply the VRX has actual useful functionality. It's more like, "At least you don't have to pay $15 a month to endure the VRX experience."
post #2315 of 2361 Old 08-30-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Prime HD PHD-VRX2 recorder

Hi;

There seems to be a lot of info here about my PHD-VRX2 HD recorder. I have one of these recorders hooked up in my bedroom and would like to view the recording in my living room. I also have a Roku XR box in the bedroom next to the recorder, in the living room, I have a WDTV media server. Can I connect a cable (USB, HDMI) between the two media servers or between the recorder and the WDTV media server (USB) and watch my recorded programs in the living room? Any ideas of how I can do this, the cable would have to be about 65 feet long, would I need some type of line booster? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
post #2316 of 2361 Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 209
That's a little too long for either USB or HDMI, and I think the PHD-VRX2 only uses USB to connect a HDD anyway.

There are HDMI extenders that let you send HDMI over Ethernet cabling. Just go to Amazon or eBay and search for HDMI extenders. But I think it has to be dedicated Ethernet cable, not part of an in-home network. You'll probably also want some kind of remote extender so you can operate your PHD-VRX2 from the living room.
post #2317 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastavin View Post
to Bkeahl: With regards to your question.. the phd-vrx media server has worked ok for me for several years over many different releases of firmware while connected to a 100 Mbps Ethernet and a 1 Gbps Ethernet. One of the few bright spots in that product. The only issue I had with the Home LAN was that it was somehow slow to read the directory on my NAS... could take up to 12 hours to build a directory vs my windows xp computers that would see it instantly.

Also you may have noticed the google youtube interface on the NET button. That service had a nice video quality on earlier firmware versions but it had a tendency to freeze up randomly and cause you to reboot your unit to get it going again. Never saw any random reboots though... my first guess would be are you sure your power cables are firmly connected, power bars firmly attached... power levels not browning out? If not then I would return to analyzing the hardware.

One thing that caused freeze ups in earlier firmware versions on the vrx for me was a full recording history folder... delete all the stuff in there and the unit strangely works more reliably.. the emptier I keep it the better it works. If things were getting random best to clean out the history file and then reboot the unit about 4-5 times from a cold start and before you try it again.

That's all I can share with you. Good luck.
Thanks for all the info. The unit only reboots regularly when home networking is turned on. As soon as I disable it the rebooting stops.
post #2318 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Liked: 12
I see Epvision has released firmware VRX2.244.22.30 for the VRX2.
Has anyone tried it and is there any noticeable improvements (other than being able to "pick a logo" that they show on their website)?
post #2319 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post
I see Epvision has released firmware VRX2.244.22.30 for the VRX2.
Has anyone tried it and is there any noticeable improvements (other than being able to "pick a logo" that they show on their website)?
I want to, hoping it makes this piece of junk usable, but like their DVR, the website is spastic. It shows firmware download, but nothing to click on to download!
post #2320 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Post 10 was updated.
Link added for VRX2 August firmware update.

windermere;
Funny you posted that. I just saw that yesterday. It was dated a month ago 8/14.
Doesn't seem as much of a upgrade, just another 'bell & whistle'.

bkeahl;
If you look for a small 'zip folder' icon, that's it under the Firmware tab. That is where the newer versions have been posted.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.

Last edited by videobruce; 09-21-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #2321 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 09:58 AM

You have to scroll quite a ways down below the download instructions. Apparently a big honkin' graphic with lots of white space pushed the download link far down the page. Sheesh.

Windermere, I saw it when I went back, but it was pushed very far down the page due to some large graphic with lots of white space. Perhaps it was browser specific, as I tend to use Firefox.

Last edited by bkeahl; 09-21-2014 at 08:51 PM.
post #2322 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 10:24 AM

Okay, I have the firmware loaded and am auto-tuning. It was a good time to do this since the unit had quit executing the programmed recordings. I stopped deleting the past recordings but the problem still cropped up. I think I may have turned it off at one time, could that cause it to abandon programmed recording? Also, once this happens, is there a way to fix it short of factory reset and re-enter all those programs?
post #2323 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 01:19 PM

The August 22, 2014 firmware for the VX2 is loaded ...

A few minor menu changes, but no big functional changes I can see.

In settings ... I don't know if "Scale Window" was in the old Settings (lets you set position and size for vertical and horizontal). View mode lets you view Normal, Full Screen, Panoramic, Zoom 1, Zoom 2, 4:3, and Direct and didn't seem to change anything on the channel I tested on. Also RESET PICTURE (yes, it is like that in settings) resets defaults. Advanced has "Dynamic Contrast" <?>.

Oddly, the auto-tune found a couple more stations than in the past and I can also receive stations that would cut out before. This could be subjective and a result of current conditions, but I've never had success with a couple of these stations before. I'll just have to watch this.

Okay, the logo thing is cute, but only about 40% match on logos and stations. It's a little annoying, because if you don't find a matching logo the "GoTo" button acts like the "Exit" button and you have to navigate your way back. It also takes you back to the top of the list when you assign a logo, rather than let you resume from the last station.

Master List edit will bump you out of the menu when switching to a station to skip.

I went ahead and formatted the hard drive and it seemed to take longer than before, but I haven't timed it, so I could just be imagining it

I programmed in a week's worth of recording, so we'll just see how it goes. I've also enabled home networking and am waiting to see if the random reboots resurface.
post #2324 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 08:50 PM

Well, the random reboots when home networking is enabled seems to be fixed in this revision. I'm really happy about that. Recording is working at the moment, but that's to be expected. The halt to recording tends to take time and/or some event to stop. Maybe I'll do some power off/on and see if I can figure out how it breaks.

So far the update seems to be fine. No great breakthroughs, but it seems stable and nothing particularly strange has happened.
post #2325 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think I may have turned it off at one time, could that cause it to abandon programmed recording?
Did you check to see it the scheduled recording(s) were still listed in upcoming recordings?
Quote:
Oddly, the auto-tune found a couple more stations than in the past and I can also receive stations that would cut out before. This could be subjective and a result of current conditions,
Only reception conditions.
Quote:
Master List edit will bump you out of the menu when switching to a station to skip.
I don't believe it does, you mat have hit the wrong button.

Scale window was there and that dynamic contrast doesn't do anything (that was mentioned in the first 10 posts).

post #2326 of 2361 Old 09-21-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Did you check to see it the scheduled recording(s) were still listed in upcoming recordings?
Only reception conditions.
I don't believe it does, you mat have hit the wrong button.

Scale window was there and that dynamic contrast doesn't do anything (that was mentioned in the first 10 posts).
The menu issue repeated several times and even I'm not that uncoordinated. I figure it'll be conditions, but we are at the worst reception point of the year (maximum tree foliage) and the stations came in, otherwise I would not have even mentioned it at all.

I actually saw some effect from the contrast setting after playing with it, but seems to be more confusing than helpful.

What drove me crazy about the halt of recordings is that all of them showed up in upcoming but never ran. At least one person responded to me about this in the past, saying that deleting previously reported programs from media player broke it for him. I stopped doing that and went much longer without the problem surfacing. But yes, the list of upcoming showed all of them, they just didn't run.

So far I'd say this new update doesn't seem to break anything new and improves on what is there.

Brian
post #2327 of 2361 Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Regarding reception, I don't even know if any firmware change would/could affect receiving stations. Either way, I'm sure that wasn't even touched since no one really complained about reception problems over any other tuner they had that I remember.
There is a slight difference with the dynamic contrast, but for the most part it didn't matter much.
I don't know why/what the problem is with these lost recordings. Corrupted memory conflicts?

Post back if something changes.

Last edited by videobruce; 09-22-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Corrected comment about dynamic contrast.
post #2328 of 2361 Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Regarding reception, I don't even know if any firmware change would/could affect receiving stations. Either way, I'm sure that wasn't even touched since no one really complained about reception problems over any other tuner they had that I remember.
I never saw any difference with the dynamic contrast, it's just another gimmick.
I don't know why/what the problem is with these lost recordings. Corrupted memory conflicts?

Post back if something changes.
I didn't mean to imply reception was bad before, just that it seemed better after the update. I agree that it seems unlikely firmware would affect reception.

I see subtle changes in contrast when I change the dynamic contrast, just can't figure out the difference between that and the actual contrast setting (ie gimmick).

So far it seems to be running as stable as I've ever seen it. I'm seeing no reboots despite the home networking enabled. I'm really happy about that.
post #2329 of 2361 Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I stand corrected.
There is a slight change with that dynamic contrast. It's been some time since I played with it and had to go back to post 8 to refresh my memory. My guess it's more of a gamma control.

post #2330 of 2361 Old 09-23-2014, 05:50 AM

I have also noticed that if the unit is powered off and back on the recordings do not work even though they still show in upcoming recordings. I have to delete them and re-enter them.
post #2331 of 2361 Old 09-23-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Powered off, not just in standby, correct? Can say that was mentioned before,

post #2332 of 2361 Old 10-06-2014, 07:14 AM

Liked: 0
PHD- VRX Recording Capabilities Question

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the recording capabilities of the PHD-VRX. I see from the specifications that it can record from ATSC OTA but not NTSC OTA. I was wondering if it can record from any of the other inputs. The specs do not specify if ATSC OTA is the only recording capability or if it can record from all inputs except NTSC OTA. I want to run in the HDMI input from my cable box and record the selected cable channel. Can the PHD-VRX record from the HDMI input?
post #2333 of 2361 Old 10-06-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Both questions are answered in the first 10 posts.

post #2334 of 2361 Old 10-06-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

You won't find a DVR in the US that can record from HDMI. HDMI was intentionally designed to prevent this.
post #2335 of 2361 Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 436
You can find PC capture cards that can record from HDMI, though, as long as it's unencrypted (to crack that, you need even more hardware).
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2336 of 2361 Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeahl View Post
So far it seems to be running as stable as I've ever seen it. I'm seeing no reboots despite the home networking enabled. I'm really happy about that.
Now that your reboots have stopped, I've been wondering about your experience with the home networking function. I went back and reread posts 1-10 but I couldn't find anything about home networking. I did see info about Internet features (YouTube works, VuDu still doesn't, and for a hot minute Schedules Direct worked until they had to pull the plug over licensing) in post 9, but not about home networking.

I did see one post about trying to access content on a Windows PC. The poster said it was slow to index remote folders and wouldn't support .jpeg photos or .avi videos; it would show .m4v videos but kept dropping the connection, and he had to transfer the video to his HDD and plug it into the PHD-VRX to watch it all the way through.

Obviously, home networking wasn't very useful at that time, but that was a couple of years ago. Has it improved since? Have you been able to make use of it?
post #2337 of 2361 Old 10-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You can find PC capture cards that can record from HDMI, though, as long as it's unencrypted (to crack that, you need even more hardware).
The latest HDCP 2.2 technology is 100% secure.
post #2338 of 2361 Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
For the old EpVision PHD-VRX model I installed the latest firmware update (PHD_VRX_firmware-VRX_244_22_30_test2.zip). The only thing that was removed from the latest PHD-VRX firmware update was the paid guide option. This is not a lost for me since I preferred the free guide data instead, since the paid guide does not work with in the clear QAM channels.

It is good to see EpVision is still supporting the old PHD-VRX with firmware updates. I like the new channel logo screens that one can setup manually. It would be ideal if there were a way for the channel logos to automatically populate during a channel scan instead of having to spend time inserting all the channel logos manually.
post #2339 of 2361 Old 11-10-2014, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Cool WTF with the Recording History, and other revelations...

But first, a note for TEROS: after a full power-down (and not reliably) the PHD-VRX may still show the program listing with all your programmed events, but not start them when they come due.

You do NOT have to delete and re-enter all the events! Just scroll through them, open each one, toggle the ACTIVE box OFF and then ON again, and click [UPDATE]. They will then record. Still a PITA, but less of a pain than re-entering.

WARNING: You MUST make all entries and changes to programs while the appropriate tuner is active! This IS a blatant bug - if you leave Tuner1 selected and scroll through, doing anything to the Tuner2 events will cause some of them to change stations, Time OR repetition class (weekly, daily etc.)!
So, set Tuner1 active, scroll through and toggle all Tuner1 events, then set Tuner2 active and toggle all its events.

TODAY'S OBSERVATIONS: about Recording History, reduction of number of program events, and unexpected recordings.

I have not used Recording History, and am not really sure how it works or what it was intended for. It DOES survive removing or reformatting the USB drive, AND power-down. Now that I've finally moved from 243.23.31 firmware to 243.25.43, I know that it does NOT survive firmware upgrading.

I had been finding that I had fewer and fewer available total recording slots! In fact, I was being shown a message saying that all my 28 recording slots were full (there should be 32, of course) even though I had only 20 events scheduled...? I got an inkling that something was whacky when some recordings were created though I'd deleted their events much earlier. Something was corrupted, but what?

NOTE: This MAY explain why I sometimes found the unit reporting schedule conflicts when I saw none on the listings.

Looking into the Recording History, I found it listing from December 2013 (when I switched recording drives) to about June 2014, when it apparently filled up and stopped adding listings. I was hesitant to mess with deleting the listings as someone had reported problems when they did that previously. (Anyone know more about this?)

Having acquired a second (heartily recommended) USB 3.0 2-Terabyte Buffalo DriveStation DDR (Price dropped $20 since last year), I copied all my saved recordings AND the "record" file (containing tile, position and indexing info) before experimenting, and made a hard-copy list of my programs. Then I upgraded the firmware.

Remember, if you move both the .NAV and .MPG files, as well as the "record" file, to a new drive, you will still be able to view, rename, play and delete your programs on the new drive. Without the .NAV and "record" files, you will only be able to view and play the .MPG files via the Video menu, and you will get (1) less precise and smooth indexing, (2) no saved viewing position, (3) only the original cryptic file name, and (4) no way to delete the files from the PHD-VRX. You can still rename and delete the files by plugging the drive into an ext2-filesystem-capable computer, either Linux or with an installed ext2 handler.

Et voila! The Upcoming Recordings and Recording History were empty, and I had my 32 program event slots back! (Again, programming first Tuner1 events, then Tuner2) I still don't know what the Recording History's intended use or actual functioning is... Does anyone have insight into how to safely delete entries from the Recording History?

I have not detected any changes in performance or function since loading the 243.25.31 firmware in late October. Anyone else?
ED BEAR<((+*+))>
(SASK//proved)
videobruce likes this.

Last edited by Ed Bear; 11-15-2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added other things that could change when editing events on unselected tuner
post #2340 of 2361 Old 11-11-2014, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ Excellent post. I will add those points to post 10. ^

I wonder if the total number of allowable entries (recordings) would be reduced, if that would help things. It sounds as a memory problem.

Last edited by videobruce; 11-11-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx