Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #2341 of 2363 Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question The Evil 15-second Delay

I think I have figured out the reason I was missing back-to-back recordings when two were starting at once!

When one of the PHD-VRX tuners is about to record on a channel other than the one currently tuned, it pops up a message warning that the appropriate tuner (which may not be the one you are watching) is about to start recording in 15 seconds on channel blah-blah-blah, and offers you 15 seconds to abort that if you don't want to interrupt watching the channel you are on. (You won't see this if you aren't watching, but it happens anyway.)

This is really not needed if you are watching the other tuner (your viewing won't be interrupted), and can be a pain in a number of other ways. For one, it can cause you to miss about 15 seconds of a show's start - often a top news story or a series recap intro. For another, starting TWO programs requiring switching channels means missing over 30 seconds of the second program.

It seems that these delays, on top of the end-recording/start-recording overhead, were stopping me from making twin back-to-back recordings - a minute would have passed and the next event would no longer be current when the machine was ready to start it!

As I always record two news programs - CBC National at 10pm and CTV national at 11pm - and would often have another 10pm program that had to be on the tuner waiting to record the CTV news, and/or a 9-10pm program, I would often find no news. And that's not good news! (Well, actually I'd miss only one news, but jokes count, too, in long tech discussions.)

I've been working around this for the last two years by starting the news recordings a minute past the hour (can't do that from the guide - have to use manual setup, but I prefer manual anyway), as the news shows have about 30 seconds of intro and teaser anyway.

So I always try to make sure the correct stations are set on my tuners before they start to record - but the whole point of a recorder is not not have to always be an attendant to one's TV, right? Sometimes, one can set a 5-minute recording to start 10 minutes before the show you want, on the channel you'll be recording, to force the channel to change ahead of time, but that wastes an event slot - and can't be used on back-to-back recordings at all.

I habitually keep my clock set 15 seconds fast; the few shows that often have endings running to the bitter end of the slot (like AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.) get an extra minute scheduled at the end, which I can do as my news starts a minute late anyway.

This highlights another problem: setting the clock! Though I found that the PHD-VRX CAN get a time signal from the PSIP data (there's no NPR/PBS time signal on TV here in Canada), it's rather inconsistent, and when there's no PSIP (it can drop out and nobody notices for a while) who knows what happens?

So I set my time manually, including the 15-second advance. And there's the rub - I can't figure out exactly how to specify the exact moment when a minute begins!

Using manual time setting sometimes saves the time and exits when set the time and hit [GOTO/BACK] or [EXIT], and at other times goes back to the setting screen and waits for me to do something. In either case, the moment when I open the setting screen, set the minute, or close the screen bears no detectable relation to when the start of a minute is set! To complicate things, changing the day or AM/PM seems to cause different behaviour from simply changing the time. To understand this, think about how a Daylight/Standard switch on many machines will avoid re-setting the minute start, whereas changing the time will re-set it.

So, High Geek that I am, and two years after starting to study the science of PHD-VRX, I am still sitting there setting, re-setting and testing the time against a sweep-second-hand electric clock until it's about right! You will understand why I have a little HDMI plug cap taped over the hard power-off button on the front of my unit, I am sure.

THE SOLUTION: WE REALLY NEED A WAY TO DISABLE THAT !@#$%&^* 15-SECOND DELAY! OR JUST LOSE IT! At least for the channel not being watched...

Alternatively, a SET button on the time setting screen, rather than using [GOTO/BACK] or [EXIT], could exactly synchronize the minute boundary.

Anyone have any luck setting time precisely?
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
videobruce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2363 Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I found the lan work for time only
post #2343 of 2363 Old 11-12-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Ah, it's my pet peeve. Haven't yet found a DVR that does this right.

What we really need is a way to pad recordings a bit to compensate for things like start-up overhead, 15-second warnings, and the like. Many DVRs allow this; but because this makes back-to-back recordings overlap by a few minutes, they all think two tuners are needed. But if the overlapping recordings are on the same channel, only one tuner should be needed! The firmware should just write the transport stream for the subchannel being recorded to two files at once.

(BTW, by the same logic, you should be able to record multiple subchannels of the same channel at once, using only one tuner. But that situation is less common, so I can understand why developers ignore it - although interestingly, the one-tuner iView/Homeworx DVRs do let you watch one subchannel while recording another subchannel of the same channel.)

One workaround is to make one long recording that covers both back-to-back shows, then split the file with a PC-based video editor, or else use the DVR's "GoTo" function to watch only the second of the back-to-back shows. (Luckily, IIRC the PHD-VRX does have a "GoTo" function; many DVRs don't.)
post #2344 of 2363 Old 11-12-2014, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Revised laundty list of issues

A number of entries have been either changed or removed thanks to Ed Bears post from a few months ago that I unfortunately never addressed. There are a couple of issues that I disagree with him that will remain.
(The list is separated into hardware & firmware, in order of importance. Similar items are grouped together.)

Hardware concerns;

A. Add a component out. Older TV's may not have HDMI inputs, newer low end TV's never have enough HDMI inputs for multiple devices. Component could solve those shortcomings. (Changed)
B. Add a front panel USB port.
C. Add two HDMI inputs. (Changed)
D. Add power switch to rear panel so pulling the plug isn't necessary,

Firmware concerns;

The Guide:
1a. The Guide needs to include both tuners integrated together as one Guide no matter which input you are in. It's a real problem and inconvenience to have to switch back and forth between tuners to try to schedule programming. Especially if you have overlapping recordings.
1b. Adding the ability to switch tuners within the Guide really doesn't help since you are still switching between Guides. Many times the data in the right pane is not the channel that is in the left pane when you switch. You have to scroll to another channel and return. Lastly, the switching time isn't any faster if you were to exit, switch tuners, then enter the Guide again.
1c. Locking the preview window (EPG on/off) to speed up the display of data prevents data from showing on any channel that has not been previously accessed from standby. If you 'surf' through all channels before you enter the Guide, there isn't problem. Rename that “EPG Tuning Mode” to “Lock the preview window”
1d. Stopping on a weak station that is not receivable at the time, will lock the Guide up, forcing you to exit and re-enter. These are 'on the cliff' signals. Channels that are not there at all, have no effect if you stop on those.
1e. No ability for the system to save the existing PSIP data for each station in the Guide. After you stop on that channel, continue, then return, the data has to re-loaded every time on every channel.
1f. No indication of previously scheduled programs to record in the Guide. This may not be possible,
1g. No direct ability to cancel a upcoming recording made through the Guide, unless you do it in the Upcoming Recordings screen,
1h. The 'reading' of program data appears to provide less listings compared to other PSIP 'Guides'. Example; Comparing to a older DTVPal on the same stations at the same time, the DTVPal (with no TV Guide data) has their listings further into the future.
1i. Add the ability to 'wrap' from the lowest channel to the highest & vice versa without scrolling through the entire channel list as you can in Media Player.
1j. Access to a website (like it is with You Tube) that has program listings for convenience to manually schedule a recording. PSIP Guide data is unreliable, spotty and inconsistent if it is there at all. What good are three to six hours of listings? Anything less than one full week shouldn't be acceptable in this day and age.

Image quality: (2c may be hardware related)
2a. Gray horizontal bar across the bottom half of the screen when using 1080p out with the new "2" models.
2b. The default output of this DVR is very dark with saturated highlights when in the Media Player, thought it was corrected in the tuner mode. The default brightness needs to increased to between 16, contrast reduced to 65 & color reduced to -5 for each input. These shouldn't be that far off in the first place.
2c. False contouring in blacks, shadows, dark scenes. This has been confirmed. Especially noticeable anywhere there are shadows and/or dark clothing, especially mens suits. The default dark, contrasty video settings appear to hide this problem. After extended testing, it now appears this Broadcom/ATI chipset is sensitive to lower bitrates. A difference of only 3MB/s will cause noticing the false contouring. I have compared the same program from two different sources (stations & networks) and the station (source) that had the higher bitrate didn't have the problem. Not all programming is affected. This affects recordings played outside of the DVR and effects less than 20% of the recordings.

Recording:
3a. Scheduling back-to-back recordings when two start at once, one of those will probably fail, (Added)
3b. Add the ability for a multi-event, manual recording option allowing entering more than one recording at a time without re-entering the Manual Record mode again,
3c. Manual record duration; 1. When changing to less than one hour, make the default 30 minutes instead of five. 2. Unable to enter numbers 1-4 to change minutes. 5–0 work Ok. Only way to do so now is toggling up or down one at a time.
3d. In the Guide; add the ability to delay (add) to the start time and allow the end time to finish early (subtract). Programs do start early and end early also.
3e. Reposition that “Active” check box in the new “Record Schedule Timer” so that you don't have to tab past it while adding a new event. (Changed)
3f. Modifying a recording in the "Upcoming Recording" menu will not show any time changes in the recording list when you 'pad' the start and/or end time of a program. It then appears no change was made.
3g. Change weekly icon to “W”, change “Once” icon to “O”. (Changed)
3h. Unable to schedule a manual recording using the inactive tuner. If you are on tuner one, any stations on tuner two can not be setup to record.

Menu layout:
4a. The plain text that was added under those cutesy icons does help, but the font is too small. Move the text over of each sub-category in a slightly smaller font, replacing the associated icon. The GUI in their Media Switcher was better. It appeared that was easier to navigate.
4b.
Reduce the number of entries in the main menu and each sub menu so there are six or less, allowing all to show on the screen at once, eliminating scrolling to find a hidden entry. Specifically;
4c. Move the main “Locks” entry to “Settings” reducing the sub menu entries down to six,
4d. Change “Dynamic Contrast” to “Gamma” and move it to “Picture Settings”, then delete the “Advanced” entry under “Picture”,
4e. Under “Record”, combine the three USB entries into a single sub menu,
4f. Under Media Player/Recordings, move Forward Skip & Backward Skip into a single group,
4g. Under “Picture Settings”, remove “Color Temperature” since it has no effect,
4h. Quick menu; replace Scale Window with a added “Aspect” control. Scale Window is only for specific situations,
4i. In the “Picture” sub-menu, once you selected a item, you can't scroll up or down to the next item to adjust without returning to the previous screen. Change the behavior to the way it is in the Quick menu so all show in a small window,
4j. Add “V Mode”, which should be re-named to “Resolution out” (or similar) to both the Quick Menu & under “Picture Settings” since it is only available from the remote,
4k. Remove the "Presets" entry. There are too many choices in the first place, some do little to change the actual settings. Each input has it's own memory settings anyway, it's not needed,
4m. Hide 'Wireless Settings” since this is not enabled,
4l. Re-enable the highest analog channel noise reduction setting that was removed.
4n. Rename "Picture" to “Video” in the Main Menu. Picture is a non technical, childish term. "Audio" is used instead of 'Sound', why not 'Video' instead of “Picture”.

Audio: (these probably are hardware related)
5a. Audio controls have no effect on analog or optical outputs. Only HDMI is affected. Specify this in the manual.
5b. There is no audio at all when the timeshifting mode is activated. Only when you are watching the delayed portion of the recording is there audio. There is audio on the HDMI output. (was this fixed??)

6. Nothing preventing you to place the DVR in standby to prevent stopping a recording in progress. You will loose the recording if standby is pressed accidentally. Some confirmation is needed.

Media Player:
7a. If you are watching a previously recorded program in Media Player, if this goes into recording mode for a scheduled recording, there is no response from user input except to shut the unit down. Thanks to LenL for this,
7b. Pressing 'Exit' while in Media Player will completely exit you out of MP while watching a recording. Exiting out of MP should only be permitted while in the main menu. Use of the Exit otherwise should take you back to the Main Menu,
7c. Shorten the manual recording file name in Media Player by removing the seconds and changing the year to two digits. It's too hard to read with those extra unnecessary digits,
7d. Include channel number, date & time to the recording entry under the new "Recordings" screen. What happens if there are more than one of the same program listed?
7e. Media Player/Recordings; When you use the skip feature, the time bar remains on the screen to long. Reduce the duration from 8 to 4 seconds and/or provide selectable times,
7f. While playing back recordings, the right & left navigation buttons will change what you are watching to the next or previous recording without any other interaction. If pressed by mistake, you are now watching something else. This needs to be disabled, except for Photos or Music. (only relates to Recordings)
7g. The "Video" section in MP has the issue of not remembering where you left off when you stop playback and not remembering changed picture settings. (Apparently this can not be fixed)
7h. Use skip fwd & back to move through the pages instead of channel up/down like it is in all other menu functions where this is used. Consistent and less confusing.
7i. Don't allow using 'Mute' to automatically bring up Closed Caption. If CC is wanted, there is a dedicated button for this.
7j. Apparent problem with running PC server software interfacing this, locking up the DVR forcing a power cycle,
7k. Change "Movie" to "Recording" in the delete confirmation box.
7l. In photo slide show when music is selected, only the 1st selection plays, no others,
7m. Interval seconds amount is off by several seconds: 3 sec. is actually 7, 5 sec. is 10, 10 sec. is 15,
7n.There is a four second delay in changing photos when either navigation key is pressed.

Tuner:
8a. Slow channel changing, especially considering this DVR does not do continuous time shifting. How can this be improved? (This may be hardware related)
8b. Improve the signal level display to expand the resolution of the reading by using similar to the System Info screen that has a 0-100 numeric readout.
8c. Ability to manual edit the channel number (along with the stations call letters) for entries that get a bad channel number from improperly ID'ing the virtual channel number from the actual physical number.
8d. Add ability to save the channel tables separately when doing firmware updates so you don't have to do a re-scan,
8e. You can not record on tuner one if you are using one of the inputs to the switcher. ??

9. There is no clock backup if there is a power outage.

Standby & spin down:
10a. An external enclosed hard drive does not spin down when the DVR is on and no recording is scheduled, only when in standby. This was changed from early firmware releases. Why have it run when it is only being used as a tuner with the HDD connected? (Yes, you can disconnect the drive, but you shouldn't have to.)
10b. After three or more consecutive recordings are finished or recordings over 90 minutes in length (approximately), the DVR does not go back into standby. Single recordings or two short recordings back to back will allow Standby two minutes after the last timer recording is finished.
10c. Timer recordings from standby loose the 1st 45 seconds of the program due to the boot time if the recorder was in standby. Power on should start one minute early so the recorder is up and running.

11. No 480p or 1080i for older HDTV's w/o a 1080p input. 480p was removed from the early firmware. Some TV's have limited aspect options with some resolutions. Sometimes the 480 choice works out better. This should be restored.

Aspect choices:
12a. There are too many 'Aspect' choices. Add the ability to 'skip' unneeded choices, (Changed)
12b. Direct appears to be the proper setting for probably 95% of the material available without distorting the image just to fill the screen.
12b. Normal has 1:1 pixel mapping (no over scan), Direct does has over scan. Swap names between both,
12c. For analog & SD channels; Normal, Direct & 4:3 are identical. For HD channels; Direct & Full Screen are identical.
12d. 4:3 will 'narrow' a HD channel. I can't see any need for this. Since it is the same as normal, remove it.
12e. 'Panoramic' disproportionately stretches the screen, mostly the extreme edges. Remove that.
12f. 'Zoom1' is Ok for proportionally expanding a 'postage stamp' image, but 'Zoom2' over stretches the image vertically & horizontally. Remove that.

Front panel display:
13a. The display on the unit will not show a channel change entry until that channel is actually changed. It would be nicer if the entry on the unit would duplicate what is seen on-screen, especially if you have "music only" CATV channels available and are using the tuner as a source for your audio system without a TV on.
13b. Changing the display from orange to red isn't any improvement. Red is old school, how about blue?

HDD utility:
14a. Add the ability to initialize a bare drive. The Internal disc format utility can only be used with a drive that is already initialized, which leaves out "bare" drives. The owners manual makes no mention of this. It isn't a problem with these pre-packaged combo enclosures & drives, but it is with any bare drive. Separate components are always better than some pre-configured package. You have control over each item. ePVision doesn't seem to grasp this.
14b. Add a progress bar to let one know where in the formatting is, also a timer to show how long it's been since the process started.

You Tube;
15a. Add USB support for a keyboard to make it easier to search U Tube. Apparently the ability to use the number keys and << & >> buttons was added. (Changed)
15b. The aspect control has no effect in You Tube. If you try to watch a 16x9 clip, it is squeezed down to 4x3 instead of displaying full width.
15c. U Tube can not be used when recording. Accessing U Tube will stop all recordings.

16a. Speed play is of no value as it stands due to inter-reaction with the audio sampling when using AC3. Using PCM, the problem isn't as bad. Mostly noticeable in FF. The sample rate is to low, making the feature worthless. You can't see enough frames to make any sense out of the video. Adding faster speed steps makes matters worse. This surely wasn't needed.
16b. If a recorded program is paused during playback, the video freezes but the audio continues playing for an additional 5 seconds. This happens when AC3 is in use. When the video stream is resumed by hitting play, there is no audio until the video "catches up" to the point where the audio originally paused (another 5 seconds). The HDMI output behaves normally.

17. Timeshift; Duplicate use of the skip fwd. & back function for slow motion is confusing. Substitute the Fwd & Rwd buttons instead and leave the skip & back functions as is.

18a. The "Lock" feature can cause issues if one forgets the pin number: (This can be overridden just by unplugging the DVR and powering back),
18b. Doing a factory reset doesn't restore access to the front panel buttons.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.

Last edited by videobruce; 11-12-2014 at 05:04 PM.
post #2345 of 2363 Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 AM

JHBRANDT: Good points, though using a video editor to split a file requires a huge effort - transferring the file, running through it (hopefully without having to transcode) and then saving two multi-gig files.

I NOTED, on my most recent visit to the ePivision web site, that the PHD-VRX2 claims to have slo-mo/ slo-RW. How is it activated, and how well does it work? Compressed video always has a heck of a time with fast forward and fast rewind because it would mean decompressing at a much higher than normal rate; most systems just skip to key frames.

VIDEOBRUCE: I'm trying to not be too picky, but these little things can be helpful... you note in post #10 :

"4. If it was a manual entry, all that will show is a cryptic (hard to read) long series of numbers with the channel number and date including the full year, minutes & seconds. This now can be edited to show the proper name."

I find that manual recordings DO pick up the show name if they start during a time when the PSIP data is supplied and stable. If that works, both the MEDIA PLAYER>RECORD and MEDIA PLAYER>VIDEO lists will show the program name instead of the channel number.

By this I DO NOT mean that the name you edit or type in under MEDIA PLAYER>RECORD... rather that the "underlying" name will be something like "The-Blacklist_11232012_200012" rather than "8.1_11232012_200012" in MEDIA PLAYER>VIDEO, and that's what you will see at the top of the preview window when you move the MEDIA PLAYER>RECORD cursor to the default file name, which will simply be "The Blacklist" until you edit it with the blue and green buttons.

Post #3 still talks of cut-outs for an unimplemented component video output. The system layout, with the cut-outs in the Input section, makes it clear that this was intended as a component INPUT.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)

Last edited by Ed Bear; 11-15-2014 at 10:39 AM.
post #2346 of 2363 Old 11-15-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Post #3 still talks of cut-outs for an unimplemented component video output.
Fixed.
Shows how closely those posts were read in the past 2.5 years.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2347 of 2363 Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bear View Post
JHBRANDT: Good points, though using a video editor to split a file requires a huge effort - transferring the file, running through it (hopefully without having to transcode) and then saving two multi-gig files.
True. Splitting a file with an editor is probably not something you want to be doing every day. OTOH, if you're going to edit the files anyway (say, to remove commercials), it's not much more effort to split a 2-recording file "while you're at it."

Quote:
I NOTED, on my most recent visit to the ePivision web site, that the PHD-VRX2 claims to have slo-mo/ slo-RW. How is it activated, and how well does it work? Compressed video always has a heck of a time with fast forward and fast rewind because it would mean decompressing at a much higher than normal rate; most systems just skip to key frames.
I don't have a PHD-VRX to check with, but slow-forward/reverse is often activated in two steps:
  1. While playing, press "Pause"
  2. While paused, press FF or RW

This works with the DTVPal, DVR+, and WMC. So give it a try and see if it works on the PHD-VRX too.
post #2348 of 2363 Old 11-15-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 450
It also works with the TViX. You get 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 speed, IIRC. The last two also play with sound.
post #2349 of 2363 Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Unhappy Fast, Slow, No Go...

No such luck, folks. Using FF/RW keys, the PHD-VRX goes smoothly from pause to FF/RW at 2x speed. Using the skip back/forth keys from pause skips your programmed time ahead or back but leaves you in pause mode. In fact, the skip keys leave whatever mode you had selected, even FF/RW, after the skip.

Anyone with a PHD-VRX2 done any reading in the manuals?
ED BEAR
post #2350 of 2363 Old 11-22-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
No such luck, folks. Using FF/RW keys, the PHD-VRX goes smoothly from pause to FF/RW at 2x speed. Using the skip back/forth keys from pause skips your programmed time ahead or back but leaves you in pause mode. In fact, the skip keys leave whatever mode you had selected, even FF/RW, after the skip.

Anyone with a PHD-VRX2 done any reading in the manuals?
ED BEAR
After searching the manual, it seems slow motion only works in Timeshift.

Code:
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.
post #2351 of 2363 Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 PM

Still no luck...

Well, at least with the original PHD-VRX, there are two mentions of slow-motion function in timeshift mode. They simply point to the >>| and |<< buttons, without details of their use. From timeshift play, these buttons simply jump ahead and back as they do in regular playback, even from PAUSE mode.

Come to think of it - that's another thing to carp about! There's no way to delete a timeshift file, since it can only be seen from RECORD>VIDEO, where there's no delete function. One can minimize its size by starting another timeshift and topping it as quickly as possible. Otherwise, the timeshift.mpg file occupies about 8GB/hr on your disk until you over-write it or delete it while connected to a computer.

I wish we could specify longer quick-record and timeshift windows, too. If I just run in in time to tape the Oscars or a Simpsons marathon, or my manual record fails and I have to quickly start a recording, I can't get it to go for more than four hours. Same for timeshift, and for some reason I can't devine the timeshift duration keeps changing back to 5 minutes instead of staying set at the max, which is where I want it.

A long timeshift window might provide some of the same capability as TIVO's always-recording mode, which lets one go back to things one didn't expect to record.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
post #2352 of 2363 Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Now that your reboots have stopped, I've been wondering about your experience with the home networking function. I went back and reread posts 1-10 but I couldn't find anything about home networking. I did see info about Internet features (YouTube works, VuDu still doesn't, and for a hot minute Schedules Direct worked until they had to pull the plug over licensing) in post 9, but not about home networking.

I did see one post about trying to access content on a Windows PC. The poster said it was slow to index remote folders and wouldn't support .jpeg photos or .avi videos; it would show .m4v videos but kept dropping the connection, and he had to transfer the video to his HDD and plug it into the PHD-VRX to watch it all the way through.

Obviously, home networking wasn't very useful at that time, but that was a couple of years ago. Has it improved since? Have you been able to make use of it?
JHBrandt,

The home networking seems to work better. I don't seem to be seeing more than 15-20 seconds for the list of videos to show up. But I also don't have that many on the server. But it worked the last time I tried.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #2353 of 2363 Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Well,

Using the 8-22-2014 firmware, I do see some real improvement.

The unit seemed to work good for the past weeks, but started getting unstable a few days ago. It finally wouldn't boot (just hung with boot on the LED display) and I had to reload firmware.

That being said, I could delete recordings from the media player without future recurrence of recordings not running. I also successfully powered the unit off and on multiples times without scheduled recordings failing (both soft and hard power-offs).

Home Networking continues to function without random reboots and I've been able to watch videos successfully for the first time since owning the unit purchased about two years ago (started with a VRX but got a free upgrade to VRX2 when they lost the unit I sent back for warranty repair).

Yes, that 15 second BS is a pain in the butt. I can live without entirely, but if they are going to, just put the (R) in the upper corner with a 10 second countdown or something, starting 10 seconds before the scheduled start.
post #2354 of 2363 Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All I have a quick questions regarding the ePVision tuners. I have a Epson projector and looking to get a tuner for it so we can watch sports. I was wondering which tuners will support the HDMI 5.1 surround sound. I noticed there are versions that dont support this. I dont need the recording ability just the ability to tune OTA channels from my antenna. Will the PHD-8VX2 work for me? Does it support HDMI 5.1? Thanks for any help.
post #2355 of 2363 Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradams76 View Post
All I have a quick questions regarding the ePVision tuners. I have a Epson projector and looking to get a tuner for it so we can watch sports. I was wondering which tuners will support the HDMI 5.1 surround sound. I noticed there are versions that dont support this. I dont need the recording ability just the ability to tune OTA channels from my antenna. Will the PHD-8VX2 work for me? Does it support HDMI 5.1? Thanks for any help.
Seems so. However, the manual doesn't admit or deny whether the ability works only via the tuners, the player, or both. See page 23 of the manual posted here:
epvision . com /HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD-VRX2_Manual_v1.0.pdf
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	30
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	385937

I concluded that AC3 referred to in the manual is a.k.a. the "5.1" you reference in your query:
en.wikipedia . org/wiki/Dolby_Digital

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	21
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	385921

If no one else chimes in to confirm or correct the above, (or even if they do!) you can always check with the manufacturer:

Name:	Untitled3.png
Views:	22
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	385929

Code:
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.
post #2356 of 2363 Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 PM

Well, spoke too soon. The unit started rebooting with home networking turned on. I disabled it, but will try fixed IP as opposed to DHCP to see if that resolves the issue. I'm pretty sure it's not the network side.
post #2357 of 2363 Old 12-02-2014, 08:57 AM

re: It finally wouldn't boot (just hung with boot on the LED display) and I had to reload firmware.

I have experienced that a number of times - not sure what causes it,
but,
if you flip to the other tuner and then back to the original, ("TV key on remote) it will complete the boot. No need to reload firmware.
Cheers,
post #2358 of 2363 Old 12-02-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What channel was it on? Is there a reception issue with that channel that might cause it to hang or lock?

post #2359 of 2363 Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to delete Video from the Harddrive? I realize you can delete things from the "Recording" menu via the "red button" but Recodings doesn't include things like the Timeshift video or any video that didn't complete properly (happens a lot to me).

If you go into the Menu / Media player and look under "Video" not Recordings ... there is all sorts of stuff in there that I want to get rid of.
post #2360 of 2363 Old 12-14-2014, 05:22 PM

Uttsjs: As far as I know, the only way to remove video which does not have an entry in the Recordings section is by unplugging your drive and plugging it into an ext2-capable computer. (Well, there's also re-formatting the drive, but if you want to save any content you have to use a computer to copy it to another drive anyway.)

Videobruce: The ZOOM1 aspect setting is the perfect setting for viewing old 4:5 media streams of HD widescreen format. That is, if you have a VCR or DVD recording (for example) on 4:5 format that contains a "letterboxed" image, SOOM1 will enlarge just the image part of the picture, removing the black bars at top and bottom without cropping the image. Of course most newer DVD players have an aspect setting to correct this, but there are all manner of 4:5 media streams with inset images.

ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)

Last edited by Ed Bear; 12-14-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Mention reformat option
post #2361 of 2363 Old 12-14-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You will have to do that on a PC. I believe it's a limitation of the system and a safety measure so material recorded outside the recorder can't be deleted by accident

post #2362 of 2363 Old Today, 08:37 AM

It won't work in the preview window, just when you are actually watching it in full screen.
post #2363 of 2363 Old Today, 02:02 PM

Recently bought a PHD-VRX2 . I have a problem with the HDMI output showing no signal intermitently. There is no rhyme or reason.
I will be watching a channel then the screen will blank with the "no signal message" and if I wait 5-10 minutes it will come back.
I have swapped hdmi cables and inputs to TV with no changes. I know its not the TV as input from another hdmi source on same input works fine.
Rebooting the DVR seems to make no difference, sometimes picture returns, sometimes not.

I tried going to epvisions site for troubleshooting or support links, and can find none. Can anyone give me any ideas, or a way to contact epvision?
The primedtv.com link on manual does not work either.

Thanks,

Eric
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx