Asking for a replacement back when I could, was met with rather abrupt comments from the company, return the unit to the store, the store said contact the manufacturer (after 30 days the manufacturer is responsible, this is typical), the manufacturer said wait for a firmware to come out to see if it addresses the issues. One issue I was having did get solved with the firmware. I do know if I exit the Record and wait for the active Tuner to show a picture, before I shut it off, then recording is fine, so long as some internet activity in the background (which I can see happening, just not sure what it is) doesn't crash the unit. As I said, there's no hardware issues here at all, it's all software. A replacement would just put me right back to where I am now, with the exception of that massive record history which I can't seem to "delete all" on it, stems back to January, 2014. I've factory reset it at least once, one of the firmware upgrades seemed to make it misbehave, so a factory reset was done and solved the issue of it doing what it was (read on the 'net somewhere it was necessary, so did), though it didn't seem to clear that history (which is probably what is causing the heavy delays in deleting shows, up to a minute sometimes to get rid of a 2 hour show, this could be normal though).
The only thing I could think of that could be causing the recording crashes and playback problems would be the file system, EaseUS Partition Manager (believe that was the one I used, could be wrong), Ext2 is what I have the drive formatted as, unsure if there is a better method that plays better with the recorder. I know someone who was using it with NTFS and it wasn't behaving nice at all (as per people found out at the beginning). Ex-Fat probably would have been a better method, but it all boils down to compatibility with the FS again. I didn't use the format in the recorder (because it wouldn't let me in the first place, empty partitions don't get recognized).
So, I'm not able to ask for a replacement (it's over a year old), doing so would be pointless, the hardware isn't to blame here. The HDMI weak signal, thats just the luck of the draw, another replacement unit may have fixed it, may not have, depends on the manufacturer's component lot for that serial range of machines.
The recorder is working, as long as I abide by it's habits, and when the spring death of TV shows happens, and we're able to catch up to all the shows and the drive is empty, I'll unplug it and clean the file system or reformat the drive and do a full test on it. Oddly, looking back at the list of complaints, a few of those issues I'm not even seeing (multiple back to back recordings work fine), though I am seeing if I don't set all my recordings for "Weekly", and do a "Daily" or "Once", the list showing the shows sometimes places the "Daily" on other shows, or worse, it turns on to record a show on a daily and then sits there recording for a day or 2 solid until it actually gets to the right date/time to record it. I've had a 36 hour recording once, so I've got the recordings all set to Weekly and it doesn't happen. One weird recording does happen, one show, not sure why, records for 1 second, finishes, then starts a new file, all properly finished, no issues, the 1 second file plays, has all the show information, as does the full one right after it. Doesn't always do it, but it's always that one recording entry and after having to delete/re-add them all multiple times, it is still doing it. Has to be something with that show directly causing it, but it isn't causing a crash or anything weird.
My biggest peeve with it and the original version are the remotes, the playback cluster of buttons are tiny and too close together, would love to know if there is a third party remote that works with this unit. The remote itself (this is a limitation of both versions), is limited by the angle of which it can be aimed at the unit (fairly narrow) and sunlight hitting the unit reduces range by as bad as less than 10 feet away. One thing I miss from the Panasonic DVRs was the Remote Code (had 3 of them until 2 died, 1 still remains) and I could control all 3 with 1 remote by holding a number button down for 2 seconds and then the units would list their code on their panel and the one I was working with would respond with the time. These units could have benefited from this, had they offered more functionality such as plugins, we may have seen network based tuner addons.
It'd be nice if the manufacturer would release the firmware source so that anyone wanting to take up the task of continuing (or rewriting) the firmware could, since it's clear they've stopped all work on it.