ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 82 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2431 of 2438 Old 04-08-2015, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I probably should have clarified, and that's my fault, I was thinking more in line with an already pre-built external drive. One of the reasons I was looking at that way (as opposed to what you have suggested going with a raw laptop drive and case) was simplicity and economics. It looks like I can find these portable external hard drives for a little less than buying the parts separate. And if these drives will work just fine with this unit, that may be a good option to consider. Browsing and searching through this thread I really didn't see that addressed. But then I could have missed it through 2400+ posts! I don't necessarily have a problem going the route you have suggested, and if you think it truly is best for the performance of the system, I'll rethink that setup. I just don't want to under/overkill the setup and have problems or waste money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2438 Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We have been using a Toshiba 2TB portable drive (USB powered) with good results. We have also tried (all portable USB powered) Verbatim 1TB and Seagate 1TB Backup Plus, and they seemed to be OK as well. Others will probably remember, but the limit for size used might be 2TB.
post #2433 of 2438 Old 04-08-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I'd speculate that the limit is 2.2 TB (the max. MBR partition size). Other DVRs, such as the CM DVR+, have the same limitation.

If so, a 3TB drive would give you about 10% more space than a 2TB drive. Not really worth the higher cost of a 3TB drive IMO.

A firmware update could overcome the limit, but I haven't seen much activity from ePVision lately.
post #2434 of 2438 Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
After looking into several DVRs and options I've settled on this unit (the ePVision PHD-VRX2) and have a question:

Any recommendations on a good external hard drive for this unit? There are obviously several out there from various makes and capacities, then you have different drive speeds or even solid state drives. Anything to avoid? I know I can get an internal drive and get it to work inside the unit but not my preference.
From eburs:
When I was deciding what hard drive to buy for my PHD-VRX2, I chose a drive with capacity up to the VRX2 maximum of 2TB. Since the USB ports on the VRX2 are USB 2.0, it made sense to buy a drive with USB 2.0. USB 3.0 drives use the USB port to power the drive and I did not want to do that in case there was not enough power. I also wanted a fast drive. So I chose the Western Digital Elements 2TB USB 2.0 external drive.

I bought the drive in 2013. It may be harder now to find a USB 2.0 external drive. From what I can see online, the WD Element drives now come in USB 3.0 versions. That would mean a 2.5" drive. Others in this blog have recommended 2.5" drives. This would mean drawing power from the USB port. That may not be a problem. I was being prudent when I made my choice.

Last edited by eburs; 04-08-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Clarify
post #2435 of 2438 Old 04-08-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 268
True; most external drives are USB 3.0 now. Typically, 2.5" drives draw power from the USB port, while 3.5" drives use a wall-wart of some sort (but there are exceptions in both cases).

If you get a USB-powered drive and don't want to risk overloading the PHD-VRX2's power supply, you can still find USB "Y" cables that let you connect the data pins to the PHD-VRX2 and the power pins to a cheap USB wall-wart.

You can also buy standalone HDD enclosures that let you put your own SATA drive inside. They're usually wall-wart powered, but the HDD+enclosure combo usually costs a bit more too.
post #2436 of 2438 Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Browsing and searching through this thread I really didn't see that addressed.
Did you read the the first 10 posts??

Quote:
I was thinking more in line with an already pre-built external drive. One of the reasons I was looking at that way (as opposed to what you have suggested going with a raw laptop drive and case) was simplicity and economics.
As I stated in the first posts, I suggested it that way purposely; You choose the drive you want, you then choose the case you want. Some of these 'packages' were designed NOT to separate (at least easily) and besides cheaper is usually not better.

Simplicity is no issue. Open case, insert HDD, close case. Surely not complicated.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.

Last edited by videobruce; 04-09-2015 at 03:21 AM.
post #2437 of 2438 Old 04-09-2015, 04:18 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburs View Post
From eburs:
Since the USB ports on the VRX2 are USB 2.0, it made sense to buy a drive with USB 2.0. USB 3.0 drives use the USB port to power the drive and I did not want to do that in case there was not enough power.
Ok, I was not aware of this. I knew they were only 2.0 on the VRX2 (and I figured getting a 3.0 drive wouldn't hurt) but if the 3.0 drives are USB powered only, I might as you did, go with the 2.0 with the option of adding a power supply if needed. Or if for any reason, to put less stress on the unit itself.

Thank you everyone for you input. I feel a lot better buying what I need to make this work as efficiently as possible. I bought one of the first DVRs to come out (Panasonic Replay HS2000) and still have it, but the hard drive finally gave out a couple years ago. And the who digital TV thing wasn't good for it either! So I want to get back into recording OTA again without having to pay a monthly fee. Looks like the VRX2 is the best option for me.
post #2438 of 2438 Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 AM

Liked: 11
Just a note, the power issue isn't one with the Kingston 240GB SSD USB kit, comes complete with a USB 3.0 enclosure with the drive, so just push it in, clip it closed, plug the cable in to it and then the unit, done. Since the SSD uses very little power, as does the enclosure, there won't be any problems with power at all. Kingston has other SSD USB kit sizes, just check which one you want. Though for light recording (30 shows a week), can easily get 30 1 hour shows with the drive (based on a 7GB/HR value). I've not run out of space with it so far, but if you want more space, the 480 should be enough, since there isn't a whole lot of OTA content at the moment due to the holidays and March break causing shows to end for haitus.

GuruSR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx