AVS Forum banner

ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread

205K views 3K replies 154 participants last post by  videobruce 
#1 · (Edited)
Background, Issues & Main components;

Background; 

Almost two years after I started what became the "speculation" thread, ePVision has released their long awaited DVR. I won't repeat the details of the DVR since most are in the first two pages of the old thread here;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1262996/epvision-phd-vrx-speculation-thread

Then, their original designed was different. The enclosure and no doubt the electronics has changed. The new versions main processor chip has only been out for a year, being used in Goldstar (LG) and Sony TV's. From what I and others have posted, it appears this might of been the wrong choice due to the complexities of this. Considering the apparent market for this chip was TV's, with the DVR function being 2nd, I believe this has caused many of the firmware problems. IOW's they might of bitten off more than they can chew.
These SoC (System On a Chip) so called "solutions" sound good on paper, but in reality, I feel there is too much packed in a single component.

I must say, this is not and never will be a TiVo. If you are use to that platform, you will be disappointed with this. While this does have features TiVo does not, it wasn't designed to complete. I feel it does have promise if you can deal with the shortcomings.There some similarities with this and other recent DVR's, some not so good and others, better.
The hardware has been ready for some time, but there were problems with the firmware. Last minute 'bugs' appeared, many that were not known to them until I pointed them out. What I was told, fixing one sometimes created another elsewhere since so many items are interrelated. I had an agreement with ePVision to privately test one of these DVR's back in March of 2012, giving my word it would be on the QT. This was without a user manual of any kind other than that 'Quick start guide' on their web site. I found some aspects easy to grasp, but many more not so due to a much different user interface. Also, I haven't had any real experience with Linux or ext2 device formatting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The long promised pay Guide which was initially available through Schedules Direct through a firmware update was removed due to the lack of communication between ePVision & Schedules Direct. 
Quote:January 16th 2014
ePVision is not supported!
It has come to our attention that a commercial DVR manufacturer is offering our guide data service. Schedules Direct is only licensed to provide data to non-commercial applications. Use of SD with ePVision and other commercial products (with a few granted exceptions) is not permitted. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 2013, the 2nd version of this unit replaces the original, adding the number "2" at the end of the model number: PHD-VRX2. There is also a revised owners manual for both available.

The VRX2 brochure is here;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrx2main.htm

The VRX2 owners manual is here;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD-VRX2_Manual_v1.0.pdf

The VRX version is here;
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX/PHD-VRX_Manual_v1.6.pdf

Changes are as follows:
1. the HDMI audio issue has been solved by a hardware change,
2. The front panel has been redesigned,
3. The power switch has been removed,
4. The display is now red and located in the center of the front panel,
5. The function button strip (buttons) has been moved to the right side,
6. The internal power supplied has been redesigned,
7. Those three openings on the rear panel that were for component outs have been removed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laundry list of concerns;

Like any consumer device, there will always be "issues" that need and should be "fixed".  Many have been addressed, but many have not, which is uncalled for at this late date.
I believe this has a lot of promise, if most of the problems would get addressed. 
I have been complying a list of issues, as I have from the spring of 2012, when I received a test unit.  More potential members that contact them to re-enforce what has been brought up, the better the chances they will see these are valid. Special tanks to HDTV1080p for adding his list to mine regarding the audio issues.

The current "Laundry List" of concerns is here (post 2344);
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...d-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread-79.html#post28995177

Menu not as friendly as it could and should be, but far better than TiVo's grade school interface;
One of my long standing gripes is the menu. Something that would, or should be somewhat easy to fix has gone ignored. Take a look at this thread started by boneless6220 comparing the older (but current) 208 tuner with this. especially the screen shots of that menu. Not quite as "pretty" as this, but surely more than acceptable. A much easier menu to navigate due to using text instead of "cutesy" icons that you have to guess at. 
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/1471190-epvision-phd-208-phd-205le.html#post23446894

For the record, back last January 2012, this was posted;
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...hd-vrx-speculation-thread-3.html#post21475015
Quote:Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your email today and this one!
Regarding your questions:
We actually are not just some engineers doing our designs in the oversea location by ourselves. In fact, all our key engineers worked for US design firms, US side TV manufacturers and EPG companies for many years (10 years+ at least). We are really good what we are.
Again, many thanks for your comments and even for today’s email.
Support Team, Allen
ePVision.com

Now, compare that with this derogatory e-mail sent from ePVision back in June 2012 (post 363). Then note the reaction from forum members;
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...d-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread-10.html#post22184354

Main System Components;

Main microprocessor: Broadcom/ATI BCM35230 (this replaces the older ATI 243 that is used in their Media Switcher):
40nm-fabricated SoC (system-on-chip)
MIPS Technologies dual-core CPU and GPU running at more than 1,400 DMIPS;
video processing up to 120Hz with frame rate conversion, de-interlacing and super resolution;
integrated wireless connectivity and support for worldwide broadcast standards;
decoder support for, among others, OpenGL ES 2.0 and Adobe Flash.
SoC also incorporates the Freespace MotionEngine embedded platform from Hillcrest Labs that reads the output from of a wand remote if configured.

I was unable to find any block diagram for this chip. If anyone has such, please PM me.
Quote: 
Broadcom BCM35230

Full HD 1080p Connected DTV SoC Solution

The BCM35230 is the third DivX Plus HD Certified digital TV solution from Broadcom, following the recent certifications for the BCM3549 and BCM3556 DTV platforms.
Broadcom’s next generation connected DTV platform features a high powered dual core CPU, graphics processing unit and industry leading video processing with frame rate conversion, deinterlacing and super resolution to enhance the viewing experience on Internet, broadcast and Blu-ray content.
The BCM35230 full high definition (HD) connected digital television (DTV) system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution features advanced picture quality enhancements including 120Hz functionality, frame rate conversion, motion compensation, and back-end enhancements for a high quality viewing experience.
This next generation connected DTV platform combines a high level of integration with best-in-class picture quality, enabling TV manufacturers to reduce overall system cost and improve picture quality from a single chip design.
Supporting 1080p60 input and up to 1080p120 output capabilities, the BCM35230 SoC solution includes new options for accessing video content on a TV through the Internet or a consumer's own in-home network, as well as connected services, dynamic applications and interactive content.

Features:
MIPS Technologies dual core CPU and graphics processing unit (GPU) with 1400+ DMIPS
Video processing with advanced functionality including 120Hz, frame rate conversion, de-interlacing and super resolution to enhance the viewing experience with Internet, broadcast and/or Blu-ray content
Integrated connectivity and support for worldwide broadcast standards that provides a cost effective global platform for Internet TV
40 nanometer design that includes advanced video and audio decoders and excellent connected TV support such as OpenGL® ES 2.0 for Flash 10
Supporting memory is supplied by Samsung (2x2Gb SDRAM) and Toshiba (8Gb of NAND flash storage).

Note:
This also incorporates the Freespace MotionEngine embedded platform from Hillcrest Labs that can read the output from a TV wand type remote that LG & Sony are using.
Sony and LG both turned to Hillcrest Labs last year for help with their motion-control remotes, and now it seems the company is looking to spread its love more generically. Hillcrest has inked a deal with Broadcom to make a pair of Bluetooth chips that integrate the Freespace MotionEngine, the Broadcom BCM35230 digital TV system-on-a-chip (SoC) and BCM20730 single-chip.

U11: AMD 218T316ZLA12GX IF demod - MP3/4 player (Unable to find anything on this chip. If anyone can PM me.)

Tuners: Nutune FA 2317 w/ Infineon TUA6037F 3 band tuner w/ IF AGC amp

U603: Hynix HY27UF084G2B flash memory

U400 & 401: Nanya NT5CB128M16BP-D1 2Gb DDR3 memory

U7: Thine THC63LVD1024 LVDS (low voltage differential signaling) HDMI receiver

U3: Explore EP936E HDMI 1.3 transmitter, now replaced by a iTE chip

U1: reserved for HDMI pass thru to component out

See less See more
Reactions: jnotgsure
#2,052 ·

I am using my Roku 3 through the HDMI in on the VRX2.

I now have audio issues when playing things from Netlfix.

If the VRX2's optical is set to PCM there's no problem, but when it's on AC3 the audio clips in and out.

Am I correct in that PCM is only stereo?

Is there any explanation for why this is happening?

Funny thing is, it only happens of some programs on Netflix but not all.

Both The Walking Dead and Mad Men say they are 5.1 but Mad Men clips while The Walking Dead doesn't.

#2,053 ·
This is a follow-up to Post #2049. I heard back from the EPvision folks:
Thank you very much for your email. Based on the main chip of PHD-VRX2, it is currently not supporting 1080i output video resolution. However, if your projector works with 720p, then PHD-VRX2 720p video quality is very nice. You can kindly consider that. I thank you very much!

Thanks for your email. It is the main Broadcom chip, which can’t support 1080i right now. iTE IT6263FN chip is passing through the video and can’t do scaling. Thanks again!

Support Team

ePVision.com

I had asked them about the 1080i limitation. After a little back-and-forth, and pointing out that the IT6263 does do 1080i, they confirmed that the Broadcom chip (which they referred to as "the main chip" in their first email) is the problem in supporting 1080i. The "right now" comment is at least encouraging implying that it might be fixable.

Does anyone know if the 1080i limitation is hardware in the Broadcom chip, or just a firmware issue.

Thanks,

Scott

#2,054 ·
It does have to be firmware issue as the drivers come from the MFG

But you can buy hdmi cable adapters to other ports like DVI, 5-RCA AV and PC

See http://www.amazon.com/CommonByte-HDTV-1080P-5-RCA-Cable/dp/B00B8FSEWC/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&qid=1390496585&sr=8-65&keywords=hdmi+cable+adapters+1080P+to+1080I

Hope this helps

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824  /t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/2040#post_24254079

This is a follow-up to Post #2049. I heard back from the EPvision folks:
Thank you very much for your email. Based on the main chip of PHD-VRX2, it is currently not supporting 1080i output video resolution. However, if your projector works with 720p, then PHD-VRX2 720p video quality is very nice. You can kindly consider that. I thank you very much!

Thanks for your email. It is the main Broadcom chip, which can’t support 1080i right now. iTE IT6263FN chip is passing through the video and can’t do scaling. Thanks again!

Support Team

ePVision.com

I had asked them about the 1080i limitation. After a little back-and-forth, and pointing out that the IT6263 does do 1080i, they confirmed that the Broadcom chip (which they referred to as "the main chip" in their first email) is the problem in supporting 1080i. The "right now" comment is at least encouraging implying that it might be fixable.

Does anyone know if the 1080i limitation is hardware in the Broadcom chip, or just a firmware issue.

Thanks,

Scott

#2,055 ·
Thanks Smithdoor (Dave). I had also thought about adapters going into other ports, but the problem is that my projector doesn't have enough bandwidth for 1080p on any of its input ports.

Based on my experiences with my EPvision PHD-205 tuner, I absolutely love its RF receiver's sensitivities (my high gain TV antenna points to the antenna farm in Walnut Grove California 69 miles away). Hence my interest in the VRX2.

Based on EPvision's emails, it sounds like I will need to wait until they resolve their Broadcom issues. I looked for a 1080p to 1080i subsamplier, but I didn't find anything reasonable compared to the cost of the VRX2.

It is a shame that the recent manual for the VRX (VRX #1) also excludes 1080i.

Thanks,

Scott

#2,060 ·
The PDF for the 243.25.43 RC2 firmware step-by-step has shown up on the EPvision site:

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD-VRX2FirmwareUpgrade-VRX2_243_25_43_RC2.pdf

This goes with the .ZIP file that HDTV1080P24 mentioned previously.

This does not include any info on what fixes were implemented. But the EPvision web page lists these topics:
01/24/14:

New firmware will be released soon. (Thanks to many users feedback!)

Some Features include:

• Switching Tuner1 or Tuner2 EPG within the Guide screen

• Navigating channel name/number in both directions within the Guide screen

• Ability to cancel the recording events within Guide screen

• Forbidding directly changing channels within Guide screen

• Changing the default color/picture setting based on user inputs.

• Combining text and icons in on-screen menu for more intuitive menu control

• Changing RF1 icon color and more...

For reference, the documents presently there right now (Jan 24 2014 9:57 PST) are the QuickStart guide (VRX2-v1.11) and the Manual (VRX2-v1.0). These document version notations are shown on the last page of each. I included this for reference since the files appear to be undated. So perhaps we can use this in the future to determine when the documents are updated.

Scott

#2,061 ·
Did you know the pay guide is still in this update
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824  /t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/2040#post_24259586

The PDF for the 243.25.43 RC2 firmware step-by-step has shown up on the EPvision site:

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/PHD-VRX2FirmwareUpgrade-VRX2_243_25_43_RC2.pdf

This goes with the .ZIP file that HDTV1080P24 mentioned previously.

This does not include any info on what fixes were implemented. But the EPvision lists these topics:
01/24/14:

Some Features include:

• Changing RF1 icon color and more...
For reference, the documents presently there right now (Jan 24 2014 9:57 PST) are the QuickStart guide (VRX2-v1.11) and the Manual (VRX2-v1.0). These document version notations are shown on the last page of each. I included this for reference since the files appear to be undated. So perhaps we can use this in the future to determine when the documents are updated.

Scott

#2,063 ·

Quote:

Some Features include:

• Changing RF1 icon color
and more...
Hummm. If I didn't know better, three or four of those sounded like what had been in my list for over 18 months.

The 4th entry was already enabled some time back labeled "EPG Tuning Mode".

Quote:
Did you know the pay guide is still in this update
I think you better look again.

#2,064 ·
Taken from the list in post 1842, how do these changes relate to the similar numbered 'issue' below?;

"1a. The Guide needs to include both tuners integrated together as one Guide no matter which input you are in. It's a real problem and inconvenience to have to switch back and forth between tuners to try to schedule programming. Especially if you have overlapping recordings."

"1i. Disable the channel up/down buttons while in Guide. It's too easy to hit and accidentally exit from the Guide."

"2b. The default output of this DVR is very dark with saturated highlights. The default brightness needs to increased to between 16, contrast reduced to 65 & color reduced to -5 for each input. These shouldn't be that far off in the first place."

"4a. Those small, somewhat identical, circular Menu icons are hard to read and decipher. They all look the same, except for when you are actually in that sub menu. Plain text is needed instead cutesy icons. It's confusing to guess at a icon, then read the text above and to the right of that icon. Move the text over of each sub-category, replacing the associated icon. The GUI in their Media Switcher was better. It appeared that was easier to navigate.

4b.Reduce the number of entries in the main menu and each sub menu so there are six or less, allowing all to show on the screen at once, eliminating scrolling to find a hidden entry. Specifically;

4c. Move the main “Locks” entry to “Settings” reducing the sub menu entries down to six,

4d. Change “Dynamic Contrast” to “Gamma” and move it to “Picture Settings”, then delete the “Advanced” entry under “Picture”,

4e. Under “Record”, combine the three USB entries into a single sub menu,

4f. Under Media Player/Recordings, move Forward Skip & Backward Skip into a single group,

4g. Under “Picture Settings”, remove “Color Temperature” since it has no effect,

4h. Quick menu; replace Scale Window with a added “Aspect” control. Scale Window is only for specific situations,

4i. In the “Picture” sub-menu, once you selected a item, you can't scroll up or down to the next item to adjust without returning to the previous screen. Change the behavior to the way it is in the Quick menu so all show in a small window,

4j. Add “V Mode”, which should be re-named to “Resolution out” (or similar) to both the Quick Menu & under “Picture Settings” since it is only available from the remote,

4k. Remove the "Presets" entry. There are too many choices in the first place, some do little to change the actual settings. Each input has it's own memory settings anyway, it's not needed,

4m. Hide 'Wireless Settings” since this is not enabled,

4l. Re-enable the highest analog channel noise reduction setting that was removed.

4n. Rename "Picture" to “Video” in the Main Menu. Picture is a non technical, childish term. "Audio" is used instead of 'Sound', why not 'Video' instead of “Picture”.

"8c. Change the color of RF 1 icon from gray to some other color. Gray is hard to see,"

#2,065 ·
This is a follow-on to my Post #2053:

The EPvision PHD-VRX2 only has HDMI (720p and 1080p) and Composite outputs.

My projector supports many formats including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, but it does not support 1080p. Since my projector doesn't support 1080p, I can use 720p. The EPvision staff indicated that the VRX2's Broadcom chip doesn't support 1080i (yet?).

I have no way to see the VRX2's menus until it is in 720p mode since the Composite output doesn't show the menus. So I will use the V.MODE button on the remote to toggle between 720p and 1080p on the HDMI output port.

My projector doesn't have an HDMI input port, but it does have VGA. I presently have my PHD-205LE tuner connected to my projector using the 205's VGA output port. So an HDMI-to-VGA converter which also supports HDCP is needed for the VRX2 and I bought one this morning.

I placed the order for the PHD-VRX2 this evening and I should receive it in a couple of days.

Scott

PS eventually I'll actually get a projector that is made in the 21st century and has an HDMI port (or whatever 4K needs at that point). But for now, I can't bear to part with my $7000 1999 projector that has been super reliable, has a DLP chip (no screen-door effect), and has a great picture.

#2,066 ·

Quote:
I have no way to see the VRX2's menus until it is in 720p mode since the Composite output doesn't show the menus. So I will use the V.MODE button on the remote to (hopefully) toggle between 720p and 1080p on the HDMI port.
That is another item that is on my list. No rear panel resolution switch like their older tuner had. Though, using that "V mode" (misnamed) button to toggle back and forth will work.

#2,068 ·
I use ext2 format works great the NTS you can only record one show

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidZ  /t/1414002/epvision-phd-vrx-vrx2-owners-thread/2040#post_24293451

I just came across this reference to NFS.  I contacted the manufacturer who said that NFS is not supported.  I wonder if this is a "support" answer rather than a technical one.  Do you have more information?  Can I really log in?

Thanks for any information.

#2,069 ·
For those not up on linux, DruidZ and Smithdoor are discussing file formats:

1. ext2 is a linux file format. It is quite an old format (released Jan 1993), and was the default format in several linux distributions until supplanted by ext3; but performance is good and it is a well known format. In linux kernels prior to 2.6.17, a limitation in the block driver means that the file system is limited to 2 TB [wikipedia ext2 reference]. Since the PHD-VRX2 is linux based, and presumably older than 2.6.17, that is probably why the external USB disks that we plug into the VRX2 are limited to 2 TB. More modern versions of linux, without the block driver limitation, max out at 32 TB for ext2.

2. NTFS is a Windows file format. It has been around for quite awhile also (released July 1993 in Windows NT 3.1). [wikipedia NTFS reference]

3. NFS is the linux remote file system (Network File System). It allows users to mount a disk from one computer onto another computer through the network (e.g. ethernet). Older NFS has known lag problems that would probably make it challenging for real-time recording.

DruidZ was asking if VRX2 supports NFS. This would allow us to record onto a disk via the network instead of needing to be plugged directly into the VRX2. DruidZ said that the manufacturer indicated that NFS was not supported by the VRX2.

As several other posters have pointed out, the performance of the VRX2 is much better with ext2 than with NTFS. They indicated that the implementation of NTFS on the VRX2 is poor, not the file format itself. Regardless, the VRX2 has a built-in formatting tool for ext2 (accessed via the VRX2 menu system). However, it has been reported that the tool doesn't work with bare blank drives -- the drive has to have some existing file format on it in order to reformat it to ext2.

Presently, if you want to record two shows at the same time, you have to use ext2. The VRX2's implementation of NTFS is too slow to record two shows at the same time.

Scott

#2,070 ·
Does anyone know how to use a Logitech Harmony 650 with the VRX2? I went to the 650's configuration screen but it only knew about the VRX. It doesn't know about the VRX2 yet.

Does anyone have hands-on experience if they are similar enough to use the same remote codes? I will be able to answer this question myself on Tuesday when my VRX2 arrives. But since it is the weekend, I was configuring everything else before it arrives.

Thanks,

Scott

#2,072 ·
The latest firmware appears to have just been released for the VRX2. This is version 243.25.43 (not RC2).

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/

According to the corresponding PDF file:
Firmware Ver. VRX2.243.25.43:

TV Micro Ver. 3.20
  • User controllable of turning on and off front Panel LED digits by: → Menu → Settings → Front Panel LED Display (On or Off)
  • In Guide screen, pressing channel up (CH+) or channel down (CH-) key is prohibited
  • Directly switching between Tuner1 EPG or Tuner2 EPG in Guide screen by pressing TV key
  • Ability to remove the recording events within Guide screen
  • Changing the default color/picture setting based on user inputs
  • Deep function improvements

Scott

#2,073 ·
There is a update for the VRX also. As stated before;

"In Guide screen, pressing channel up (CH+) or channel down (CH-) key is prohibited" and "Changing RF1 icon color" have been on my lists for some time now, finally corrected.

"Directly switching between Tuner1 EPG or Tuner2 EPG in Guide screen by pressing TV key: A somewhat improvement, but with glitches matching the channel with the listings after the switch.

"Changing the default color/picture setting based on user inputs" Haven't found this change yet.

"Combining text and icons in on-screen menu for more intuitive menu control" Long time at the top of my list. This helps, but the text us small, doesn't stand out, especially with the overly large duplicated name to the right and above which is the distraction.

#2,074 ·
> For those not up on linux, DruidZ and Smithdoor are discussing file formats:

Well, Smithdoor was. I was discussing remote mounting.

> DruidZ was asking if VRX2 supports NFS. This would allow us to record onto

> a disk via the network instead of needing to be plugged directly into the VRX2.

> DruidZ said that the manufacturer indicated that NFS was not supported by the VRX2.

Right. But someone here suggested that it was possible. In fact, I think someone suggested

that the PHD-VRX2 was actually a Linux box and that if we knew the magic words that we

could log into it. That would be super cool.

#2,075 ·
Yes, VRX2 (and many previous PHD variants) are Linux boxes.

Since the Linux kernel can be built with, and without, specific modules, if EPvision didn't include the nfs module in the kernel, then it wouldn't be possible to mount.

Since I don't see a hard disk in the tear-down photos, then the kernel must be in flash (or burned in).

If the patch file that they distribute is the entire OS, then one may be able to look at that file for details. But I haven't tried looking at it.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.