ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #2461 of 2480 Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
kb9nvh: I don't know what DNLA is... Wikipedia only offers "Danish National Library Authority."

But there is a menu item on the PHD-VRX (or 2) SETTINGS>DATE AND TIME screen that lets you turn on/off setting time from PIPS data - the free broadcast scheduling info of dubious quality and limited length. That will pick up time from any broadcast carrying valid PIPS schedule data. Turning it off lets you use other sources, which I don't have and haven't explored. I prefer to set time manually (1) because I avoid DST/ST errors, and (2) because I like to set the time 15 seconds early to allow for the 15-second delay before switching channels to start a programmed recording.

I discussed cleaning up files and failed recordings earlier - it's post #2349 as of today, though that may change.

Yesterday, during some rather nasty weather, I experienced two instances of Purple Screen of Death (Some might call it pink) during programmed recordings.

In both cases, the recording was interrupted and I had to go to standby (not power off) and back. In both cases, the recordings re-started automatically when the next minute changed, and in both cases only the second part of the recording appeared in the RECORD list but both parts were visible in VIDEO.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2480 Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
dlna

howtogeek. com/215400/how-to-turn-your-computer-into-a-dlna-media-server/
post #2463 of 2480 Old 11-19-2015, 08:05 PM

Recordings missing audio

I have an aggravating problem...recently some of my timeshifted recordings are missing their audio....The video recorded just fine....This recorder has a few issues...

A scan of this thread I haven't seen this mentioned....Anyone else.
post #2464 of 2480 Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Any pattern to the problem? Station, time of day, CATV or OTA, HD or SD? Something specific to the audio tack itself?

PC's as video recorders are a PITA.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2465 of 2480 Old 11-21-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9nvh View Post
I have an aggravating problem...recently some of my timeshifted recordings are missing their audio....The video recorded just fine....This recorder has a few issues...

A scan of this thread I haven't seen this mentioned....Anyone else.
Now I find that when timeshifting backward skip time set to 120sec skips me back sometimes more like 30 minutes...
This is getting so unreliable its getting hard to count on. Maybe I need to reformat my hard disk..its EXt2 format.
post #2466 of 2480 Old 11-29-2015, 08:18 PM

This thing is the most aggravating POS and I wish I had never bought it...I thought to my self how hard can it be to get this to work. Turns out, from what I've read, it will be a constant battle and constant disappointment when things dont record. There, I vented sitting here looking at the dvr saying its recording on tuner 2 but having it NOT changing to the specified channel and NOT recording. I wonder if I can return this?
post #2467 of 2480 Old 12-06-2015, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, I went ahead and retired my PHD-VRX2 (and will pack it back up into it's original box and such, all clean and factory reset), perhaps sell it to someone who will use it lightly, not sure yet. The remote is in need of replacing, the power button is dead on it and a few others are on their way out, such a sad remote. Upgraded to an i5 Win7, 8GB ram, 240GB SSD with 2 1229 Haupage tuners and a BluRay RE drive, all this running on an Antec 650W E80 Platinum supply for power sipping. I am using NextPVR and an AERB air mouse, with little to no issues, minor software ones which I've been relaying to the author and hope to see improvements.

Massively happy, though the 4x the cost of this unit is something of a downside, but the super upside is, I can use all the streaming services with it (the You Tube app on the unit is defunct thanks to Google) and I can enjoy 1080i output without worries of watching a show while others are recording!

GuruSR.
eastavin likes this.
post #2468 of 2480 Old 12-19-2015, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
stuck in record mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruSR View Post
Well, the unit will "out of the blue" freeze while recording (becomes unresponsive, can't turn it off, yet it's been recording for 10+ hours, and yes, data is still going to the drive). When this happens, the only thing I can do with the unit is... unplug it (VRX2).
I have the same problem with my VRX2. It didn't always do this; it only started doing it about 6 months ago. Perhaps age related...

Scott
post #2469 of 2480 Old 12-19-2015, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Massively happy, though the 4x the cost of this unit is something of a downside
You forgot the 4-6x increase in current consumption.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2470 of 2480 Old 12-19-2015, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'd be willing to bet after reading enough about various electronic entertainment devices failing, starting with the supposedly mighty TiVo, it's either cap failure or microprocessor failure due to heat & age.

I have had two Oppo DVD players start to fail after an hour of use due to thermal problems with the system processor. I proved that by adding a heatsink to that component which solved the problem. Have have had a relatives DTVPal fail due to two 'bulged' caps that I replaced and it now works fine. Lastly, as a gift to another relative, even after asking the seller to check, there were two bulging caps in a Series 3 HD TiVo that needed replacing though the unit seem to operate ok. I replaced anyway.

Point is, it can happen to anything, some more than others, this seems to be one of them. I wonder if anyone has tried a thermal solution, namely a fan inside the chassis??

post #2471 of 2480 Old 12-19-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I just fixed a bulging cap problem with one of my Pals too. The Pal has a fan, plus I had long ago moved the HDD to an external case to reduce heat; but I guess after 7 years caps are bound to start failing no matter what.

But back on topic, it's certainly worth opening up a balky PHD-VRX(2), or anything else for that matter, and looking for bulging caps. Replace any you find, or find someone with good soldering skills to replace them for you. And if heat is a concern, often you can find replacement caps with a higher heat tolerance for just slightly more money.

Edit: BTW, I'm trying a fan with a Homeworx; only problem with that unit is, there's not much 5V power to go around, so some USB-powered HDDs no longer get enough juice to work. I suppose that can be fixed with a USB Y-cable or powered USB hub though.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-19-2015 at 03:46 PM.
post #2472 of 2480 Old 12-24-2015, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mary Christmas

Dave

FYI
My PHD VRX 2 is working great with the last firm ware
PHD_VRX2_firmware-VRX2_244_22_30_RC1
post #2473 of 2480 Old 12-25-2015, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Glad your PHD-VRX2 is working well.
There is a newer firmware version available, but I don't know what it changed.

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Docu..._21_29_RC1.zip
post #2474 of 2480 Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
You forgot the 4-6x increase in current consumption.
Actually, other way around. The machine is using on average 4 to 12 watts of power, the reason I paid so much for the power supply. The APC it's on is showing me the consumption and in sleep (which I can't test without another piece of hardware, which I do have), the usage is far less than a watt. I can easily live with that consumption. In fact, all of my PCs here are E80's, the one I'm on uses 4 to 18 watts on average. I may have spent 4x the cost of the unit, have double the tuner capacity and I'm not restricted to "Tuner 1 has to record this, while Tuner 2 has to record that" mentality that the units both share, but I'm easily saving hydro more over the original unit. And the heat inside is a far cry less than what was there with the VRX2 (seems to be an Easy Bake Oven in comparison).

GuruSR.
post #2475 of 2480 Old 12-28-2015, 11:38 AM

Thank you
ever thing is working great do not want to change
even the guide is working great

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post

post #2476 of 2480 Old 12-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I was showing the PHD VRX with firmware VRX 243.25.43 to my neighbour the other day when I noticed that the Youtube player was no longer working. This used to be the outstanding bugless star on this otherwise quality challenged product. Would anyone have any idea why it has stopped working after all these years and if it can be restored?

Many thanks

Ed
post #2477 of 2480 Old 12-29-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Google loves making random and useless changes to YouTube in order to prevent all non-Google products from accessing it. Now that it's changed too much for the VRX firmware to understand, YouTube will never work on the VRX again, since the VRX no longer gets firmware updates.
post #2478 of 2480 Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 AM

I install the newer firm ware it to works Great

Thank you
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post

post #2479 of 2480 Old 01-14-2016, 04:47 PM

Found what is new
Android Phone Remote Control App.
I have a windows phone and can not try this app
If any try let us know how it works

Dave

If you have a
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastavin View Post
Hello all. I was showing the PHD VRX with firmware VRX 243.25.43 to my neighbour the other day when I noticed that the Youtube player was no longer working. This used to be the outstanding bugless star on this otherwise quality challenged product. Would anyone have any idea why it has stopped working after all these years and if it can be restored?

Many thanks

Ed
post #2480 of 2480 Old 01-14-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Edit: BTW, I'm trying a fan with a Homeworx; only problem with that unit is, there's not much 5V power to go around, so some USB-powered HDDs no longer get enough juice to work. I suppose that can be fixed with a USB Y-cable or powered USB hub though.
Cheat! Get yourself a USB 2 Y cable, buy a cheap (6$-ish) 0.5amp AC to USB adapter, plug the spare one onto it, then the data cable (has 2 wires on it) into the Homeworx, should work fine. If you find it doesn't work, keep the bill for the 0.5amp AC to USB and go get a 1A one, that *will* make it fire up because combined you're giving it ~1.25A to play with, if the external drive can't run on that, then you really need to find a replacement for that power hog, but yes, the Homeworx doesn't have great USB power, their port is the typical 250mA that is necessary for standard hub pairs (500mA for the pair).

As for the heat issue, not sure why you're having it, my sister's doesn't seem to heat up that much after an hour of playing off their usb stick, though due to it being plastic, it's possible it's receiving heat transfer from whatever you have above or below it? Is it alone or enclosed in a cabinet?

GuruSR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx