ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #2491 of 2517 Old 03-27-2016, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I looked over the shoulder with a guy at work. We can see the file names. A reformat always, but that is a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
When you get the full drive, do you look at connected to a PC to see what's in it?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2517 Old 04-04-2016, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscpm View Post
I looked over the shoulder with a guy at work. We can see the file names. A reformat always, but that is a pain.
So - what sort of files do you see? Can you play them with anything? Does there appear to be an index?

You seem to be implying that you weren't able to do anything with the files that let the system keep working and recover the disk space.

(We can't guess much when we don't even know the machine you're talking about.)

If it was a machine sold under the influence of a cable company, everything's going to be encrypted and obfuscated. No help there.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
post #2493 of 2517 Old 04-04-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
On a windows PC. We see the files. Can not do anything. To know more, I'd need to wait until the next time the drive is full.

I'm really more interested in how do delete the shows properly on the DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bear View Post
So - what sort of files do you see? Can you play them with anything? Does there appear to be an index?

You seem to be implying that you weren't able to do anything with the files that let the system keep working and recover the disk space.

(We can't guess much when we don't even know the machine you're talking about.)

If it was a machine sold under the influence of a cable company, everything's going to be encrypted and obfuscated. No help there.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)

Chris

post #2494 of 2517 Old 04-04-2016, 07:57 PM

Thumbs up Timeshift and save?

I don't think I've talked about this since the end of 2014, so I'll re-post and clarify:

A timeshifted show is recorded as a timeshift.mpg file, which appears on the disk but not in the MEDIA > RECORD menu. It DOES have an accompanying .nav file.

This means that you can save a timeshift recording and rename it or move it to another device. In either case you will only be able to play it from the MEDIA > VIDEO menu, and not have the special features of closed captions and enhanced indexing.

THIS ONLY WORKS IF:

1) you haven't used timeshift since recording the file you want to save. Each use of timeshift erases the previous timeshift.mpg and .nav files.

2) the timeshift range was not exceeded by the program. For example, if you watched a 2-hour program with a one-hour timeshift window, you've lost the start. Or if you let the timeshift continue past the end of a program that fills the entire window you selected. If you used a 2-hour window to record a 2-hour program, stop it promptly at the end! For live events, most people will probably just want to use a longer window and stop manually, or edit the file later.

Too bad events can run over the maximum 4 hours at times!

NOT: After extensive testing, it seems that you CAN let a pre-programmed recording start and stop on one tuner while using timeshift on the other tuner, even on the same channel. I let the Oscars tape as a 5-hour pre-programmed event, let the timeshift on the other channel run its maximum 4-hour slot, and then use the programmed recording for future viewings. I got my cake (the recording) and ate it (live FF/RW and slow-mo) too!

WARNING: DO NOT CHANGE TUNER OR CHANNEL while doing this, or the timeshift will be aborted. You won't be able to restart timeshift without erasing the first part of the recording.

And, NO, you can't record two shows while timeshifting a third.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
videobruce likes this.
post #2495 of 2517 Old 04-06-2016, 01:50 AM

Question The Unanswered

But, Chriscpm, what was the make and model of the recorder? And what do the files look lik e- extension, size, time/date, and so on?
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK..proved)
post #2496 of 2517 Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to enable record functionality using the external input sources of the PHD-VRX2? (HDMI, component, composite inputs). It would really be nice to be able to record from those and possibly be able to record from a Roku player. Probably disabled in a hidden factory menu somewhere? Please help. Thanks in advance.
post #2497 of 2517 Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1966 View Post
Does anyone know how to enable record functionality using the external input sources of the PHD-VRX2? (HDMI, component, composite inputs). It would really be nice to be able to record from those and possibly be able to record from a Roku player. Probably disabled in a hidden factory menu somewhere? Please help. Thanks in advance.
You can record from HDMI sources, as far as I know - though I have not had any other than the tuner input. I don't think the PHD-VRX supports HDPC, so not all sources will work.

As far as the analog sources - NTSC, composite, component and such - nope. The PHD-VRX can only record digital signals, and has no analog-to-digital conversion (ADC) circuitry. It just saves the incoming HDMI signal to disk unaltered. It DOES have digital-to-analog (DAC) capability to play back to analog devices through the composite video output, though that will seem vertically stretched on some displays and need aspect adjustment.

I HAVE done lots of output-to-analog viewing and recording to VHS. The result is pretty good, though it will seem vertically stretched if played back in NTSC format. Playing it on a digital TV with HD aspects will work just fine... better than non-stretched video because the picture is broken into more analog scan lines. 480P recorded to an analog device leaves large black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, and that's wasted bandwidth.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)
post #2498 of 2517 Old 04-12-2016, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 239
tech1966;
Did you bother reading the 1st 10 posts, especially # 6? The answer is there.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #2499 of 2517 Old 07-11-2016, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Question Is the PHD-VRX2 a much better tuner than Samsung DTB-H260F ?

A Samsung DTB-H260F is plugged into a HDMI port of my Samsung HU8550. The picture seems a bit better than when the HU8550 uses RF in OTA.

However, if I turn off the TV and turn on the TV, there is "stuttering" and sound drop outs. It's cured by power-cycling the DTB-H260F.

Looking for a better tuner, preferably one which records to a USB drive.

There seems to be many criticisms of the PHD-VRX2. Is this PHD-VRX2 better than the stand alone Samsung digital tuner ? Will I see an improvement in PQ?

If not the PHD-VRX2, then which do you recommend ? I will only be using an outdoor antenna to this external tuner.

There are valid helpful reviews on the PHD-VRX2 ? Where ?

TIA

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 07-12-2016 at 09:09 AM.
post #2500 of 2517 Old 07-12-2016, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That tuner came out in 2007 according to the dates in the Amazon reviews.
The VRX channel changing is kinda slow. As far as PQ, can't guarantee it, but I would like to think a much newer model would have better system processors than anything out from 2007. It's much better than a early tuner model (201 I believe) from EPVision.

(The problem you have seems to be a typical HDMI handshaking issue.)

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #2501 of 2517 Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That tuner came out in 2007 according to the dates in the Amazon reviews.
The VRX channel changing is kinda slow. As far as PQ, can't guarantee it, but I would like to think a much newer model would have better system processors than anything out from 2007. It's much better than a early tuner model (201 I believe) from EPVision.

(The problem you have seems to be a typical HDMI handshaking issue.)

Thank you.

The website seems to imply that this DVRX2 model is NEW: http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrx2main.htm

How to eliminate the "handshaking problem" ? Should the TV be turned on first then turn on the external tuner ? So one cannot leave the external tuner on at all times and turn the TV off and on as needed ?
post #2502 of 2517 Old 07-12-2016, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The "2" version replaced the original version. Have you read the 1st 10 posts? If you look at the firmware dates, the last one is two years ago.

HDMI handshake issues are unique to the specific equipment. There usually isn't a hard & fast procedure, there are too many variables. You have to experiment yourself to see what works or doesn't. It may not be correctable.
Thank Hollywood's greed for that.

post #2503 of 2517 Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Question HELP: Trying to record with the PHD-VRX2. Help !

Taking this VRX2 for a test spin, and this far it hasn't been greatly successful. I just want to record a few five minute OTA channels. Many silly issues, and among them:

1. 36 second boot time, any time the unit is turned off. Too long.
2. 10-12 seconds to change channels. Too long.
3. long format time for a USB 3.0 128GB stick
4. Fails to record, whether the recording is set manually or by schedule.

Any one here have the key to success? Is there a better/simpler unit to record OTA programs onto a USB stick?

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 07-17-2016 at 09:26 AM.
post #2504 of 2517 Old 07-17-2016, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1. Why are you turning it off, from standby it's 25 sec. At least it can be placed in true standby,
2. Channel changing should be around 3, maybe 4 seconds, any longer, you may have reception issues,
3, 4. It's faster to format from a PC. Memory sticks aren't the best option & it also depends on the memory. Use a 2.5" HDD, it's far more bang for the buck.

Have you read the 1st 10 posts?

post #2505 of 2517 Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1. Why are you turning it off, from standby it's 25 sec. At least it can be placed in true standby,
2. Channel changing should be around 3, maybe 4 seconds, any longer, you may have reception issues,
3, 4. It's faster to format from a PC. Memory sticks aren't the best option & it also depends on the memory. Use a 2.5" HDD, it's far more bang for the buck.

Have you read the 1st 10 posts?

1. Didn't know there's a standby. 25 seconds is still long, compared to my Samsung tuner.
2. Channel changing is definitely loooong. No reception issues. All channels have more than 30 SNR. Samsung tuner changes channels in 2-3 seconds.
3. I tried formatting both from a Mac and PC, but the unit insisted it wanted to format it again. I didn't not use a HHD because I wanted to bring sticks to a retail store to compare OTA pictures on several TV sets. Which format did you use on a PC?

No matter how I do it: "The recording is failed". (They need to change the "is" to "has", and give a reason for the recording failure).

Not sure if I read the first ten posts.

Is there a different tuner set which will record onto an external USB drive or stick?

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 07-17-2016 at 09:49 AM.
post #2506 of 2517 Old 07-17-2016, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

DVR's are more than just 'tuners". They usually take longer to boot & change channels.
What are you formatting your USB stick to? Have you tried another stick?

Read the 1st 10 posts first!

post #2507 of 2517 Old 07-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Cool

Quote:
DVR's are more than just 'tuners". They usually take longer to boot & change channels.
What are you formatting your USB stick to? Have you tried another stick?

Read the 1st 10 posts first!

Okay. Glanced through the first ten posts, and have concluded:

1. You are a video genius
2. This unit is more complex than my other one
3. I have my first migraine headache from reading about it.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 07-19-2016 at 10:43 PM.
post #2508 of 2517 Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Question How to view files on the external drive (PHD-VRX2)

Made two 30 minute recordings on an external drive. Attached the drive to a Mac---- did not mount.

Attached to a PC, and Drive: E is not accessible and the computer wants to format it.

Then formatted a 32GB USB stick in the X2, then a 30 minute recording, and the USB stick will not mount on my Mac or PC. The recordings can be played back using the PHD-VRX2 playback feature (yellow button).

Can these recorded files be viewed on a Mac or PC ? If so, how? Would like to get an OTA recording onto a USB disk and have it readable/playable by a smart TV.

Thank you.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 07-18-2016 at 02:18 PM.
post #2509 of 2517 Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Question PHD-VRX2: USB stick playback pixellates. Platter hard drive fine.

On my PHD-VRX2 if a recording is made to a USB 2.0 stick, playback from the PHD-VRX2 is intermittently pixellated. But when using an external platter drive, playback is fine.

Was able to copy one of the recorded MP4's to an internal SSD of a laptop, and playback was also occasionally pixellated, so it is in the recording.

Why does this happen? Must be the write speed is much slower in a USB thumb drive.
post #2510 of 2517 Old 07-20-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
Must be the write speed is much slower in a USB thumb drive.
Yup. That's why they're not recommended. HDTV broadcasts have a very high bitrate, and the cheap memory in a flash drive can't write data fast enough to keep up.
post #2511 of 2517 Old 07-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs down So if the PHD-VRX2 had USB3, then - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yup. That's why they're not recommended. HDTV broadcasts have a very high bitrate, and the cheap memory in a flash drive can't write data fast enough to keep up.

So if the PHD box had USB3, not the current USB2, thumb drives would work?
post #2512 of 2517 Old 07-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs down PHD-VRX2: Takes way too loooong to change OTA channels

So far, I really like the PHD-VRX2, EXCEPT for one feature (mentioned before) which is very annoying. Bet one of you video geniuses will have a cure.

PROBLEM: It takes a loooooooooong 10-13 seconds to change channels. That's tooooooo loooooong. I watch only OTA, and have strong signals on all channels watched.

My Samsung TV internal tuner takes two seconds. My Samsung HD external tuner takes three seconds. My Panasonic DVD-R takes two seconds.

What's the cure here? Is the answer in one of the first 10 posts?

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 07-20-2016 at 06:05 PM.
post #2513 of 2517 Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
So if the PHD box had USB3, not the current USB2, thumb drives would work?
Some of them will. The PHD-VRX2's interface is still USB2, but many USB3 thumb drives have a faster write speed and will work.

Another possibility is a Class 10 SD or Micro SD card and a USB adapter for it. From my limited experience, they seem able to record HD video successfully, although simultaneous recording & playback (as when time-shifting) does not work well.
PeninsulaMark likes this.
post #2514 of 2517 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Some of them will. The PHD-VRX2's interface is still USB2, but many USB3 thumb drives have a faster write speed and will work.

Another possibility is a Class 10 SD or Micro SD card and a USB adapter for it. From my limited experience, they seem able to record HD video successfully, although simultaneous recording & playback (as when time-shifting) does not work well.

Excellent idea. Will try.

Have not learned all about this unit yet. Feel fortunate to know how to record and playback. I have learned to use an HGST external drive, or one which has a good access light. Seagate access lights are dim, and when read/write occurs, they slowly get bright then slowly dim. It's nice to see an active flashing when recording.
post #2515 of 2517 Old Today, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got the vrx2 and have encountered a problem. I reviewed the "laundry list" and did a thread search - but did not find any discussion of this problem.

For some reason, tuner 2 is missing some of the channels that are available locally. Those channels are picked up by tuner 1. They aren't weak signals either. It is for my local fox affiliate.

I have done a few resets, auto and manual scans, unplugged the dvr, switched the coax cables. Tuner 2 is always missing those channels.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Haiku
post #2516 of 2517 Old Today, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmmm. Never mind. The channels have now magically appeared on the 2nd tuner. Weird.
post #2517 of 2517 Old Today, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiku View Post
Hmmm. Never mind. The channels have now magically appeared on the 2nd tuner. Weird.
Good. When I scanned for channels I stupidly had the antenna feed ONLY in the first tuner. Can one re-scan channels only for the second tuner? Or must one use a splitter and rescan both tuners?

What source do you have connected to each tuner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx